The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Return Shipping Advice For Potential Ecommerce Business

Scuur

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 9, 2017
stonington
Hey everyone!

Been awhile since I've last posted. I've been working on an idea on my head for the past couple of weeks, I've finally decided to put pen to paper. My issue has been finding concise information on return shipping fees. The idea will have a near 90% return rate. Think old school Netflix with the ability to buy DVDs. Similar idea to old-school Netflix in a different business area. With the rates I was looking at it looks like the cost of free shipping would kill the margins if they ordered more than 2 products a month. Customers ordering more than two products a month would be highly likely. I'm sure a few of you have experience with this. Can anyone recommend companies like endicia that would help me get rates as low as possible? My average packing weight for reference would be about 10 ounces or little over half an lb.

Any thoughts ideas, I could charge more for services. Although I think about 10% the cost or $15 dollars is a good price to try out the products because there are so many options. Also bracketed tiers if you want to try more than one at a time.

Thanks
Mack

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Are there business bulk rates available from the shipping companies that you could use?

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
So your avg packaging w/ item is 10oz to 8oz? What system or carrier are you currently using or looking at?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Assuming you are in the US, anything under a pound can ship first class mail which would cost you between $2.50 and four dollars.

Scuur

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 9, 2017
stonington
Are there business bulk rates available from the shipping companies that you could use?
I looked it about .35 to $.40 cents off.

So your avg packaging w/ item is 10oz to 8oz? What system or carrier are you currently using or looking at?
I'm looking at Endicia for the shipping system going through USPS.

Assuming you are in the US, anything under a pound can ship first class mail which would cost you between $2.50 and four dollars.
Yes, in the U.S. is it about $2 dollars both way? For the return as well.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
USPS doesn’t care if it’s a return or why you are sending something. They just charge based on weight and distance. It’s going to be at least $2.70 minimum each way.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Just build it into your price, I suppose. It costs $2.70 each way, and you expect 90% of people to send it back.

So you have 100% * $2.70 + 90% * $2.70 = add $5.13 to your price. Otherwise, if you just want to buffer returns, add $2.43 to your price.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
If you are scurr of returns make your policy: Returns accepted buyer responsible.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Personally, it sounds to me like your business model might be skewed a bit for scaling unless you can sustain losses for a time until you meet some profitability.
Is this some form of subscription based business? Are you planning on automating or is this labor intensive? Can you give us an idea what your charging for a product that has such a high return rate?
With a 90% return rate, it sounds highly labor intensive besides your shipping costs.
Perhaps I'm not seeing the picture. ..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.