The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My family always tells me to get a job.

Tanisha

Bronze Contributor
Jun 16, 2017
sacramento
Hey update us on what you've been doing to move forward Tanisha. We're not typing all these for nothing.

Srsly, you make the forum a bit funner than it already is.

well funny or not vigilante says he's the moderator and if i say one more post about retirement or whatever he's banning me, so my plan for future progress is to improve my character and perseverance when others are not very kind to me and make fun of me and make me feel like trash

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Sounds like a plan. Just be more vocal about what stuff you're working on ok. We'd like to hear it.

Don't worry about them. Learn to move forward despite that. You're in a forum that wants you to win for cupcake's sake.

Update us darling okay?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Tanisha has been banned.

Kind of sad in this day and age, someone cannot take such simple instructions despite being told X times. Somehow I don't think the eighth warning would make a difference, so she has been removed on the seventh.

You guys tried, and mightily hard.

Take a look at the landfill if you're curious how many mulligans we handed out...

The Landfill

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Finally... No more clogging up the feed

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
well funny or not vigilante says he's the moderator and if i say one more post about retirement or whatever he's banning me, so my plan for future progress is to improve my character and perseverance when others are not very kind to me and make fun of me and make me feel like trash

giphy.gif

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Kind of sad in this day and age, someone cannot take such simple instructions despite being told X times. Somehow I don't think the eighth warning would make a difference, so she has been removed on the seventh.

Take a look at the landfill if you're curious how many mulligans we handed out...

The Landfill

Wow, it's like she got dumber as time went by. Most people have shitty first posts and improve, but she went from sounding like a 20 year old to making me think that some grammar school kid has been trolling us the whole time.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
You know what would make me spend a lot of Rep?

In a few month, a new user called "Tanisha2" creates an introduction thread:

"Hey guys, it's me again.
A lot of the advice you gave me was pretty harsh. A lot of posts just made fun of me.

And despite me not liking either the message or the way the message was presented, it still sounded like the best advice people gave me.

Atleast it is given in a long, logical form with arguments - my mum just screams at me to " get a job".

Which I did, I'm now a part time industrial cleaner.
It sucks, I work hard and my boss seems to not be doing anything all day.

He complains a lot. About cleaning solutions, about inefficient workgear, about unsafe workwear.

Because I got tired of the complains, I've sat down and came up with a better cleaning solution to scrape oil off the walls.
Totally boring stuff, but I showed it my boss - and he immediatly paid me.

I got my first sale!"

I really hope something along those lines will happen.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

The Landfill
Thank goodness for the landfill and ban hammer...

Somehow I missed all the silliness, for which I am grateful.

Thank you MJ, and the other mods!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thank goodness for the landfill and ban hammer...

Somehow I missed all the silliness, for which I am grateful.

Thank you MJ, and the other mods!
I was very disappointed when I heard the news.
I thought we could 'save' her, so to speak.
But for the good of the forum....well done @MJ DeMarco and mods.
You know what would make me spend a lot of Rep?

In a few month, a new user called "Tanisha2" creates an introduction thread:

"Hey guys, it's me again.
A lot of the advice you gave me was pretty harsh. A lot of posts just made fun of me.

And despite me not liking either the message or the way the message was presented, it still sounded like the best advice people gave me.

Atleast it is given in a long, logical form with arguments - my mum just screams at me to " get a job".

Which I did, I'm now a part time industrial cleaner.
It sucks, I work hard and my boss seems to not be doing anything all day.

He complains a lot. About cleaning solutions, about inefficient workgear, about unsafe workwear.

Because I got tired of the complains, I've sat down and came up with a better cleaning solution to scrape oil off the walls.
Totally boring stuff, but I showed it my boss - and he immediatly paid me.

I got my first sale!"

I really hope something along those lines will happen.
A better sponge or wiping materials would be a better option.
Sometimes when I wipe stuff, even with quality cleaning fluid, they still don't come off. Irks me.
@Ika, good suggestion. I sincerely hope this comes true. A good booster to the @JAJT format of addressing tough love.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I had to learn how to respond in this manner the hard way, although I did have help here eventually....

You remind me of myself when I first came here. I looked at the rep banks, the likes, and got all 'money chasey'. I thought that if my rep bank was higher, I would receive more attention or prominence. So I posted like a shitass. Posted stuff that horrifies me even today. @Runum came in a gave me a sounding. @JAJT is more polite in the sense he is more instructional. But Runum had me hard...lol

So I don't post a lot unless there's pleasantries or queries I need settled. I have yet to create a good progress thread, but I think I will complete my present route before unloading the material.

Each and every bit of advice on this forum has changed my life, even if I do not apply it for my current ventures. They come from people who just want to help. To thank them and to show respect could be the best thing next to rep currency (lol).

By thanking people, I have:
a. made friends who were outside the SCRIPT zone
b. gotten BETTER advice that saved my life...period
c. gotten more connections to find more pain points or pieces to the Fastlane equation.

Congrats to you @ZF Lee...I see that you are making progress. This thread has also given you an opportunity to give back!

Let me say that I've noticed an improvement in your posts, and in your attitude. Keep up the good work!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Congrats to you @ZF Lee...I see that you are making progress. This thread has also given you an opportunity to give back!

Let me say that I've noticed an improvement in your posts, and in your attitude. Keep up the good work!
Thank you.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm going to be an a$$. Sorry.

Not only does everything you are posting sound lazy as hell, but now it sounds like you are trying to say it's not your fault because of your generation? Really?

Your attitude screams "I hate work and don't want to do it and you can't make me".
This is not a trait of good entrepreneurs.
It's a trait of a child who thinks work is someone else's responsibility.

If you read more, you will pretty clearly see that most Entrepreneurs didn't avoid work - they were often the HARDEST workers. The BEST. Employers LOVED them. They busted their a$$ on the job, added value wherever they could, worked overtime as needed, consulted with management on issues they thought they could help with, volunteered, and in general they kicked a$$.

When they were out of work they busted a$$ to find work.
Or they freelanced.
Or they hustled.

Tell me - what was the last thing you kicked a$$ at?
Or busted a$$ for?
Do you have any history of adding value to other people's lives?
Do you help others when there is no gain in it for you?
When was the last time you got your hands filthy F*cking dirty (figuratively or literally, whatever) to get a job done for no other reason than it needed doing and you could do it?
Do you volunteer? For anything? For anyone?

I guarantee you that if you look at the top entrepreneurs on this forum, their attitude screams "I work".
The ones gloating about not working for other people do so because they put in the damn time to get to that point.

You need to understand this very clearly: Entrepreneurship is going to be many, many, many times harder, more frustrating, more exhausting and with longer hours than a normal job. You will feel lost. Nobody will be there to tell you which direction to go. Nobody will tell you a decision is right, or wrong. Almost every answer you will ever receive will be "well, it depends". Some weeks, months, and even years will have you earning LESS than even a modest job. You may make $1,000 in a week only to look at the numbers and see your expenses were $900. Or $1,200. Or $2,000. When shit breaks - you are the person who fixes it. If your website is broken and you can't pay to have it fixed, well you better put on your coding glasses because guess what? You're a coder now until it's fixed.

It's work.
Hard, thankless, frustrating, confusing, depressing, expensive, lonely work until one day you "figure it out" and something works and you make a killing, or see a nice lucrative exit. But that freedom is on the other side of hard work and adversity.

Also, what's your skillset that makes you believe you can bypass traditional employment?
Clearly if you are fighting against working for others so hard it must be because you know how to make money without it? Right?
What's your plan for money before you become successful at your own business?

Can you afford to live on your own?
Or do you expect mommy and daddy to let you live rent-free, with free food, adding no value to the family so that you can read books on Oprah while you "figure something out"?

Let me be clear

I WANT you to be here.
I WANT you to start your own business.
I WANT to see you successful and killing it and living the high life.
I do, and we do.

But your attitude is broken.
You aren't thinking things through.
You are acting childish.

If you do not have a REAL plan that makes SENSE with REALISTIC expectations, then for everyone's sake, including your own, get a damn job and work on starting something on the side. Funnel all income to your side project. Use it as seed money to build your business and build experience and get successful to a point where quitting won't be something you dream of - it will be the thing you do because it's a poor waste of time that is actually costing you more money than it brings in.

Good luck.

@JAJT your posts on this thread were incredible. Thanks for writing those up.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
Coming a bit late to this party, but the last 5 responses from the banned one leave me decidedly in the "Troll" camp.

A better sponge or wiping materials would be a better option.
Sometimes when I wipe stuff, even with quality cleaning fluid, they still don't come off. Irks me.

Speaking of cleaning fluid, I think if we excerpt the better stuff from this thread and remove the posts from the person that shall not be named (as well as quotes from other people responding) this could be quite a valuable resource for pointing new folks at. :)

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Coming a bit late to this party, but the last 5 responses from the banned one leave me decidedly in the "Troll" camp.

Speaking of cleaning fluid, I think if we excerpt the better stuff from this thread and remove the posts from the person that shall not be named (as well as quotes from other people responding) this could be quite a valuable resource for pointing new folks at. :)
The 'Most Liked Posts' feature is a good tool there at the top lol.

But mistakes or bloopers need to be there so that we know how the gold nuggets came about. The best lessons can come from mistakes.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Getting a job, even for a week, should be a pre-requisite for a bank giving you a business bank account.

Mine lasted 3 days. I was brought up that it goes either WORK or education. I was lazy and a bit entitled so I chose education even though I wasn't interested in that either.

Come 17 I pass my UK driving test and suddenly I had a car, insurance, tax etc all paid for by mum and dad, but no money to fuel it. I had to get a job.

I lasted 3 days in that place. My parents were middle class, my collegues were lower class, guess who got the abuse?

3 days working my a$$ off for around 12 hours a day, no breaks, scrubbing dishes, pans, trays, in a sweltering hot backroom with no ventilation. I passed out frequently. I was told I was not doing it quick enough, and then told I was not doing it well enough. I was threatened by the Chef. I was actually abused, none of this snowflake "I identify as a bicycle and you called me a man" BS that this generation feels is abuse.

Payment was in cash on a Sunday...that's right we had to drive to the Pub to get paid in cash on our days off.. I started on a Tuesday and so I worked Wed, Thur, Fri. 3 days.

Came to get my payment on Sunday, was owed £2 per hour (min wage being around £4), they gave me £20. I was supposed to be paid £72. Such a kick in the balls. Threatened by staff members if I didn't accept it. Took the money, quit. Never again.

Never stepped foot in employment since. Fortunatly for me, Google Adsense started around this time. Literally 3 months after I quit this job I was making 5 figures a week. But I was young and stupid and thought this would last forever.

OP. Get a job. Get the worst job you can think of. Because when you are sitting at home in a plush chair looking at your triple monitor setup, thinking of taking the day off to go to the beach, think back to that shitty job, the degrading feeling knowing you are better than that, that you can do more, and if you don't, that's where you will be.

My only regret? Not taking a POV picture of the job I had to do, because I can't mount the memory on the wall for days when I CBA and there is no one to motivate me with threats.

People tell me I should get a job now. They presume I am on welfare. It is hard not to get egoic. I just ignore them, I don't want to associate with people who cannot comprehend the fastlane lifestyle. These people are a drain. The same people who tell someone who is starting a business that it won't work are the same people who key their Ferrari when it has work. The best way to deal with these people are to ignore them completely. They think life revolves around working your behind off for someone else.

Please OP. Get a job. Tell yourself it is only for a week. The experience it gives, and leaves you with in life, is worth it.

Nik@16

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 22, 2018
India
Perfect. I think that people get wrong impression about MJ they met in the book Millionaire Fastlane .They see him as a job-hating punk who is lookin' to quick buck but real MJ is all for looking at a job as a way to get paid to get clients , to learn work ethics and uderstand value of money.

Do you know a job can help instill discipline and a good work ethic?

Do you know a job can teach you things you'd never know?

Do you know a job can teach you the relative value of money? I just made $150 for 10 hours of backbreaking work? And this dinner for my friends is $150, or 10 hours of my life?

Marcello8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Sep 3, 2018
Ukraine
Hey this is legitimate. Not only your family but every family I think. Even my family always insist me to do something and earn to maintain my family well. Though we already have 3 members who are earning amount this isn't enough. Parents always said you should do something yourself. So that in the near future you can maintain your own family. So this is the right time to find something. :)

Nik@16

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 22, 2018
India

The Landfill
This is what we call F*ck-you position. The power to ban potential readers and customers . Awesome.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I would say every family tells you to get a job. That's just life. I would say every job has skills you can use.
I've worked at factories (Quality products, inspections, looking for flaws, creating a product.)
Camera Shop (Photography, Frames, Customer Service, Selling a Product.)
Restaurant (Customer Service and Quality Food).

Nurse Aide (Just about everything under the sun is included in this situation. You're responsible for other people's lives, record keeping, medications, house chores, or what ever they need done in the yard, the house, hygiene. I've worked in home care, private homes, nursing homes. There all different. You work with different personalities, learn to have patience, understanding, compassion, and all about customer care, because if there not happy, you will here about it.

Mental Health Manager, of course again you are in charge of other people's lives, medication charts, doctors appointments, other appointments, getting people where they need to go for jobs or activities, house rules, paper work, running a whole business, and if you don't follow procedures, restrictions, rules of the state, you get in trouble. It's all about responsibility. Meal plans. Activity Plans. A lot of work, but it gave me a lot of skills that have to do with Entrepreneurship. I ran that whole AFC Home by myself.

I worked at a few department stores. Learned about ads, pricing, customer service, all departments, waste control, and all kinds of stuff from working in all the departments.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.