The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Musical motivation.

MrDoctor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 13, 2007
It is a language understood by everyone-- music/rhythm/melody. It is universal in its nature and mankind has been infatuated with it for centuries. So the question I pose to people in the fast lane is: when you are looking for musical motivation, what song(s) get you in a cheerful mood? Inspirational mood?

"Somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is a personal favorite of mine.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
We played "Somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole in the delivery room when our baby "KT" was born last year. :)

I also listed Paul Simon's "Maybe I think Too Much" in another thread (the fast version).

Lots of James Taylor stuff--

-Everybody Has the Blues
-Lighthouse
-Frozen Man
-How Sweet it Is (to be Loved By You).

And lots of other folky songs that others find, well, disgustingly sacharin. :smxB:

Julia Fordham's "Porcelain" album is magical, as is Beth Nielson Chapman's "Sand and Water"

I'm a nut for singer-songwriters.

-Russ H.

PS Livingston Taylor's "I've Got My Pajamas On" is a great visit back to your childhood. :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Lyrics are my lifeblood. I run marathons. The last few miles are hell on earth. I basically pop a song in my head and repeat the words over and over until the finish line is within my mental ability to grasp.

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
Any and everything by Wes Montgomery. Once I discovered his music, I was hooked. Sadly, he died young (in 1968, 2 years before I was born) but his music still has a strong following.

Here's one of my favorites, "Round Midnight." For me, it doesn't get much better than this..

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=pAtNJdnaEGY"]YouTube - Wes Montgomery - 'Round Midnight - (Thelonious Monk)[/ame]

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I basically pop a song in my head and repeat the words over and over until the finish line is within my mental ability to grasp.

I'm guessing Barry Manilow's "Mandy" (about his dog, BTW) is not one of 'em? :rolleyes:

Curious-- do you pick specific songs, or are they just what's stuck in your head?

-Russ H.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
A popular song from my running times...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNX_PRqhCQ"]YouTube - The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings[/ame]

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
For "pump up" motivation, nothing beats Carl Orff

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCB6-h3wbs"]YouTube - 300 Music Video - Carmina Burana O Fortuna - Carl Orff[/ame]

The best of all is "Ecstacy of Gold" by Ennio Morricone. Most will know this as the "Good, Bad and the Ugly" song.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNh9f2Wwm0"]YouTube - The Ecstasy of Gold[/ame]

A nd a little Imperial March never hurt either...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5wZk3RI3yw"]YouTube - Imperial March Music Video[/ame]

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Carl Orff ... I was listening to that shit in college when no one knew what the F it was - people thought i was nuts.

When seeking peace, harmony, spiritual grounding, I listen too:
Yanni (no kidding, one of the few men who like his stuff)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTveCihjoQ"]YouTube - Yanni - One Man´s Dream[/ame]

Groban
Manilow
Neil Diamond

Get up and go stuff
Rap / Techno

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Hmm...when I'm running it is Rob Zombie, Danzig, Rolling Stones (quite possibly my favorite band) to name a few. Anything that makes my adreneline go up- my litmus test is if the music makes me want to either pick up a car or get in a fight it's good runnin' music!
...Russ- great Paul Simon song- "Maybe I think too much" is now on my ipod. Big Hawaiian dude (can't spell his name) is also wonderful. Listened to him during my whole trip to Hawaii...camping on the beach, eating pineapple and drinking beer with my best friend. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Relaxing music is anything Paul Simon, Sting/the Police, some Stones, anything that sounds tropical always puts me in a good mood. ...And of course classic jazz/r&b- can't go wrong. Duke Ellington, Dizzy, Ella, etc. Again, good (wine) drinking music.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
"Somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is a personal favorite of mine.

Most people on the mainland know him for that song but don't know any of his other songs. You should listen to his song "Hawaii 78" or Sandy Beach of Hawaii. Those are good too.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Wow, thought I might get knocked around for liking Yanni, but now someone else is out of the closet before me.

Need inspiration- Yanni- in my time. and yes, I am a straight man.

Anytime: Norah Jones first CD, second sucked.
Five for Fighting.

ijack

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 27, 2021
In my opinion, music helps elevate our creativity to a different quality level and enhances productivity in the tasks we undertake. Focusing on our artistic side is the best thing we can do for personal development. Currently, I am immersed in learning ukulele folk songs, as I simply adore the sound of the instrument and relish the positive vibes I experience after each lesson.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.