• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

OFF-TOPIC Musical motivation.

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by MrDoctor, Sep 9, 2007.

1. MrDoctor

MrDoctor New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    It is a language understood by everyone-- music/rhythm/melody. It is universal in its nature and mankind has been infatuated with it for centuries. So the question I pose to people in the fast lane is: when you are looking for musical motivation, what song(s) get you in a cheerful mood? Inspirational mood?

"Somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is a personal favorite of mine.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  2. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,285
    We played "Somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole in the delivery room when our baby "KT" was born last year. :)

I also listed Paul Simon's "Maybe I think Too Much" in another thread (the fast version).

Lots of James Taylor stuff--

-Everybody Has the Blues
    -Lighthouse
    -Frozen Man
    -How Sweet it Is (to be Loved By You).

And lots of other folky songs that others find, well, disgustingly sacharin. :smxB:

Julia Fordham's "Porcelain" album is magical, as is Beth Nielson Chapman's "Sand and Water"

I'm a nut for singer-songwriters.

-Russ H.

PS Livingston Taylor's "I've Got My Pajamas On" is a great visit back to your childhood. :)

3. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $91,823
    Lyrics are my lifeblood. I run marathons. The last few miles are hell on earth. I basically pop a song in my head and repeat the words over and over until the finish line is within my mental ability to grasp.

4. FT1

FT1 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    Any and everything by Wes Montgomery. Once I discovered his music, I was hooked. Sadly, he died young (in 1968, 2 years before I was born) but his music still has a strong following.

Here's one of my favorites, "Round Midnight." For me, it doesn't get much better than this..

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=pAtNJdnaEGY"]YouTube - Wes Montgomery - 'Round Midnight - (Thelonious Monk)[/ame]

5. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,285
    I'm guessing Barry Manilow's "Mandy" (about his dog, BTW) is not one of 'em? :rolleyes:

Curious-- do you pick specific songs, or are they just what's stuck in your head?

-Russ H.

6. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $97
    A popular song from my running times...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNX_PRqhCQ"]YouTube - The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings[/ame]

7. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $236
    For "pump up" motivation, nothing beats Carl Orff

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCB6-h3wbs"]YouTube - 300 Music Video - Carmina Burana O Fortuna - Carl Orff[/ame]

The best of all is "Ecstacy of Gold" by Ennio Morricone. Most will know this as the "Good, Bad and the Ugly" song.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNh9f2Wwm0"]YouTube - The Ecstasy of Gold[/ame]

A nd a little Imperial March never hurt either...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5wZk3RI3yw"]YouTube - Imperial March Music Video[/ame]

8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,877
    Admin Post
    Carl Orff ... I was listening to that sh*t in college when no one knew what the F it was - people thought i was nuts.

When seeking peace, harmony, spiritual grounding, I listen too:
    Yanni (no kidding, one of the few men who like his stuff)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTveCihjoQ"]YouTube - Yanni - One Man´s Dream[/ame]

Groban
    Manilow
    Neil Diamond

Get up and go stuff
    Rap / Techno

9. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,708
    Hmm...when I'm running it is Rob Zombie, Danzig, Rolling Stones (quite possibly my favorite band) to name a few. Anything that makes my adreneline go up- my litmus test is if the music makes me want to either pick up a car or get in a fight it's good runnin' music!
    ...Russ- great Paul Simon song- "Maybe I think too much" is now on my ipod. Big Hawaiian dude (can't spell his name) is also wonderful. Listened to him during my whole trip to Hawaii...camping on the beach, eating pineapple and drinking beer with my best friend. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Relaxing music is anything Paul Simon, Sting/the Police, some Stones, anything that sounds tropical always puts me in a good mood. ...And of course classic jazz/r&b- can't go wrong. Duke Ellington, Dizzy, Ella, etc. Again, good (wine) drinking music.

10. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $236
    Most people on the mainland know him for that song but don't know any of his other songs. You should listen to his song "Hawaii 78" or Sandy Beach of Hawaii. Those are good too.

11. kurtyordy

kurtyordy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $215
    Wow, thought I might get knocked around for liking Yanni, but now someone else is out of the closet before me.

Need inspiration- Yanni- in my time. and yes, I am a straight man.

Anytime: Norah Jones first CD, second sucked.
    Five for Fighting.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.