The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Motivate me..! I just can't do the work..!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
At this stage I am all set to start working, but I just can't seem to do the work.
I actually even know what I have to do, how I have to do it , and why I must do it. But still I just can't start working on it..!

I find ways and invent new things to waste time.

I know the time is passing by and when I'll look back I'll be extremely sad for all the time I have wasted on useless shit. But still I am not able to do the work.

Every night I goto bed with full excitement and even wake up with full mood of doing the work.
Just after an hour of waking up, all my energy to work just disappears and I once again start wasting my time, I waste all day doing nothing..!

In short, what I need from you guys is some motivational/ scary / shocking information/ quotes/ few lines which I will read daily before I start wasting my time or read whenever I am about to waste my time. Write down some sentences which I can re- read again and again to get back to work instead of wasting my time. Teach me the value of time otherwise even though I know what I have to do and how, I'll still not be able to start., Just starting is not enough, I actually need to stick to it.

let me know about anything which helped you stop wasting your time and start doing the main work.

TIA
With all the posts on this forum? All the posts of success, of people facing desperate situations and making something out of nothing?

You have the wisdom of the world here, millionaires telling you their journey and how they did it.
AND these people are real. They have nothing to sell you except the inspiration to do what they did because they are just like you and me, they just found a way.

You're on the Fastlane Forum and you need motivation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

danwan337

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Sep 23, 2020
India
Motivation comes from within. No matter how many books you read, videos you watch, games you play, until you are ready to deep dive in the ocean, there is nothing that can create that spark in you. Believe in yourself and get going. Eat dark chocolates a lot.

Appdeveloper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 4, 2020
I know what it feels like to be frustrated with yourself because against your better judgment, you just won't do the work that moves the needle.

I know what it feels like to wake up all excited and optimistic, convinced that finally, THIS time, I'm actually going to work. And then you get to the end of the day, and again, you've wasted time and done none of the things you were supposed to do.

I know what it feels like to hate yourself because you keep wasting time. You watch your life passing by, and you know that you're hurting yourself by your actions, and yet you keep wasting time. It's as if you're addicted to a drug, and you keep taking the drug even when it's destroying your own health, your job, and your family relationships.

Here's the deal.

What you need is NOT some motivational/ scary / shocking information/ quotes. It won't help. You'll get all scared and shocked by the hideous prospects of how you could end up homeless and starving if you don't get yourself moving...only to disappoint yourself YET AGAIN when you STILL won't work. Or you'll amp yourself up with motivational quotes until you have a strong, sublime feeling...and still, nothing.

It will NOT help for you to read a few lines daily whenever you are about to waste your time. If you're not going to work, you're going to be able to waste time even if every square inch of your wall space is plastered with motivational quotes.

You don't need someone to teach you the value of time. You ALREADY KNOW the value of time, and you are wasting it anyway. You know that you have 24 hours in a day. You know that you are going to die.

Here are two steps that will help you.

NUMBER 1
The NUMBER 1 skill you need to develop now is this:

You need to develop the ability to decide to work, and then follow through.

In other words, you need to believe your own commitments to yourself.

You've got to get to the point where when you resolve something, you honor it.

You keep your word to yourself.

Right now, you you're doing the opposite. You resolve that you're going to work, and then you don't work.

In other words, you're betraying yourself on a daily basis.

What you're really doing is convincing yourself that you're helpless to make yourself work. You're training yourself with every repetition. "Yep, there I go again. I expected as much."

You've got to turn this around.

Here are a few tips and resources that can support you in getting there.
At the end of the day, the development of your own discipline boils down to this:

Practice actually doing work.

You need reps.

Break it down small enough to actually get some WINS and maintain a winning streak.

Right now, you're on a losing streak.

"Every day, I intend to work, but then I don't."

OK, that's a problem, but I assume you're asking this question because you actually want to turn it around.

So your "win" needs to happen in a MUCH smaller time frame than a day.

Break it down.

What's a unit of time that you can actually commit to working—and SUCCEED?

It might be an hour.

It might just be 5 minutes.

Maybe it's just ONE minute.

You need to start keeping your word to yourself.

Nobody is watching. Nobody knows what's going on with your time.

Only you do.

"I commit to working with focus and attention for the next 5 minutes."

And then do it.

Build up your reps.

You've got this.

NUMBER 2

My second piece of advice for you to implement now is to hate your temptations.

Identify your temptations. The things that pull you off track. Your vices.

And then regard them with fear, loathing, and hatred.

No more indulging and coddling your temptations. No more "just one more time."

You've got to come to the point where you FLEE these thieves.

Think of them like they're rattlesnakes.

If there was a rattlesnake on the floor under your computer workstation, you wouldn't shrug your shoulders and continue just mindlessly wasting time.

Are you complacent and apathetic about the times when you're off-track?

Let's say you're mindlessly scrolling through facebook.

You know you're off track.

You know you should stop it and go do something productive.

But you still just sit there.

"Just one more minute."

"I'll start working presently. I really will."

You wouldn't be saying, "I'll get away from this rattlesnake presently" if your facebook feed was a rattlesnake.

But your facebook feed (or whatever your favorite time waster is) is literally poisonous to your dreams.

It's venom.

It's death.

Are you going to tolerate this stupid time waster coming into your life and destroying your chance to get to the fastlane?

Or are you going to actually regard your time wasters with the hatred they deserve for robbing from you?

RUN AWAY from your temptations.

Do whatever you need to do to block them out of your life.

Whether that means getting apps that block your internet access, or finding an accountability partner, or whatever practical thing will support YOU, do it.
Wow this is gold.
Thank you very much my friend

Appdeveloper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 4, 2020
First:
- if you procrastinate in your home
- try working somewhere else ( the library, a park, co-working space ... )

Second:
- I've read about a great system called the "Dedicated Space"
- simply create a dedicated setup for working & commit to never ever procrastinating in it ( a work room or a work desk or simply work clothes )
- if at any moment you decide to procrastinate, then you have to move your entire pc & charger to the Non-Work room ( or the non-work desk or change your clothes to the non-work clothes )
- this process makes switching from work to procrastination a bit of a hassle
- and helps you stop from checking a youtube video then another one then another one ...

Whatever works for you, I encourage you to find systemic solution to the problem, you are an entrepreneur & you have a problem so solve it :) .

Good luck & let me know how it goes
I think my sleep schedule is messed up. Whenever I had some good sleep, I am motivated most of the day. It's automated.
I agree with you, environment plays a huge role. I'll try to change that.
Thank you my friend.
Have a punishment routine instead. Motivations are highly unreliable.

The most effective form of execution found in human civilization is military.

Example by 14.00 If I do not finished task A and B I will do x number of push up...That can be a good start.

Have a split personality : the instructor who gave the instruction and enforce punishment vs the private that is supposed to get things done. The natural human tendency is to be “more demanding” on others and “more forgiving” to oneself.
I think you are correct, there is a ted video which explained about the panic part of brain, whenever you are about to reach a deadline, that panic part of brains activates automatically. I wish I had that panic part and sense of urgency all the time with me.

Appdeveloper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 4, 2020
I disagree with the posts mentioning you should quit because you can't commit to work.
I think a good analogy is obesity, imagine you weigh 260 pounds,
- should you quit & stay obese ?
Obviously not.
Exactly, instead of maybe helping me with something. They would rather mock and insult. People like them are everywhere.
These people believe that you can't change, which is totally wrong.
Static self is a myth, we all can become anyone.
For example right now I can't work, but within months I can change myself to a workholic person, I need to develop a habit which takes some time.
But just because you can't do it right now, doesn't mean you won't be able to do it in future.
Read the 12 Week Year by Moran and Levington

Thanks for the recommendation, I will.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
Motivation wont help you in the long run. Discipline kicks motivations a$$.
This is at the same time a good advice and a terrible one.

Discipline is important, but if it's not connected to something meaningful, get prepared to be miserable.
It seems OP doesn't have a real why (despite stating the contrary) to do what he thinks he should be doing.

@Appdeveloper, why do you want to do what you think you should do and can't find the motivation to do?

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
This is at the same time a good advice and a terrible one.

Thats why I said “in the long run”. Motivation clearly helps. But it’s overrated. It won’t keep you building a side business for a year 5am every day before your slowlane work when you can’t even pay yourself a salary.

edit: the main point is, motivation can help you do more work and feel better while doing it but you CAN’T SWITCH OFF when you’re not motivated. Especially in entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
At this stage I am all set to start working, but I just can't seem to do the work.
I actually even know what I have to do, how I have to do it , and why I must do it. But still I just can't start working on it..!

I know the time is passing by and when I'll look back I'll be extremely sad for all the time I have wasted on useless shit. But still I am not able to do the work.

Every night I goto bed with full excitement and even wake up with full mood of doing the work.
Just after an hour of waking up, all my energy to work just disappears and I once again start wasting my time, I waste all day doing nothing..!

In short, what I need from you guys is some motivational/ scary / shocking information/ quotes/ few lines which I will read daily before I start wasting my time or read whenever I am about to waste my time. Write down some sentences which I can re- read again and again to get back to work instead of wasting my time. Teach me the value of time otherwise even though I know what I have to do and how, I'll still not be able to start., Just starting is not enough, I actually need to stick to it.

let me know about anything which helped you stop wasting your time and start doing the main work.

TIA
Internal motivation comes from self. No one will motivate you take control over your life and reach self-discipline.

Player

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 14, 2017
Gold Coast
What are your favorite quotes related to time wasting?
I can't find any good ones. Already tried what you suggested.
I don't want you to do the work, instead share what you have learnt.

Procrastination is the thief of time and the master of alibi's.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow...what did you do with it's opportunity.
Whatever you can do, or dream your can, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Exactly, instead of maybe helping me with something. They would rather mock and insult. People like them are everywhere.
These people believe that you can't change, which is totally wrong.
Static self is a myth, we all can become anyone.
For example right now I can't work, but within months I can change myself to a workholic person, I need to develop a habit which takes some time.
But just because you can't do it right now, doesn't mean you won't be able to do it in future.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will.
I saw multiple posts attempt to help you and no posts mocking you.

"People like them are everywhere."

People like you are everywhere. Cowards are everywhere. Weakness is everywhere. The strong are sick of pulling punches because your emotions might be triggered and your fragile ego might break.

Nobody said people can't change.

You proved you can't. If you could become anyone, you wouldn't choose to be a crybaby who can't compel yourself to do what you have to do.

In short, what I need from you guys is some motivational/ scary / shocking information/ quotes/ few lines which I will read daily before I start wasting my time or read whenever I am about to waste my time
What you need is to stop being a whiny bitch who gets offended by the advice you asked for. This forum is your new time waste. If this offends you, do something about it.

People are too nice here. They censored their words for you and you still got offended. If you want nice...if you want anything...earn it. Otherwise, go back to momma's basement.

Business is war. War is for warriors. The battlefield is no place for cowards.

If you can't motivate yourself to do what you have to do, then you are probably a coward. You do not have to be ashamed of that. Cowards are people too. But you should acknowledge it so you can live without hating yourself for believing you could become a warrior, yet never proving it true.

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
I would say your lacking meaning and purpose there alot of people who think they know their meaning and purpose but in reality they don't know read the post of @eliquid about feeling depressed and needing a engliment and buy the course of Jordan Peterson self journaling this will help you about for sure

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I would say your lacking meaning and purpose there alot of people who think they know their meaning and purpose but in reality they don't know read the post of @eliquid about feeling depressed and needing a engliment and buy the course of Jordan Peterson self journaling this will help you about for sure
can you please reply with thread.

cm-devpreneur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Aug 27, 2020
London
Not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur.

If you can't bring yourself to do the work, it sounds like you're one of those people who aren't cut out for it.

Focus on building a skill, getting a good job and making as much money as you can the more traditional way.
I don't know if this is true but I don't think it's very helpful. Yes most entrepreneurs are high-achiever type-A personalities who can easily put 90 hours a week into their business. But I happen to believe that anyone can learn anything - even how to be very motivated and start the kind of business they want to start.

If a person is 'not cut out to be an entrepreneur' and they still want to do it they should go for it. Yes, the journey is more painful for some and there are easier options but for some like me the journey is about finding out what your limits are and overcoming as many of your limiting beliefs as possible. For example, it's easy to look at me now and see a failure but what I've learnt through the journey is priceless and for me the journey isn't over. Things such as 'you're not cut out for this' really affect a person's confidence and make the journey harder especially to someone who is starting out. Even though they are said with good intentions.

I say this as someone who was once incredibly unmotivated, lazy, undisciplined and full of BS excuses. I'm not even close to where I want to be but over the years I have put in place little daily habits to help me improve my discipline day by day.

If you compare my level of discipline to most people here it doesn't even come close, it's still quite low. But if you compare to where I was 3 years ago or even just earlier this year you will see a big difference.

To answer @Appdeveloper :-
I think most people suggesting you find your own quotes are right. This is because people are motivated by different things. A good place to start is why. Why aren't you motivated? Why do you want to be motivated? What kind of business do you want to start? How much money do you really want? Why? Get to the real reason why you want wealth? And be honest about how much work you want to put in. Because it's a trade off. For example I'd love to look like a bodybuilder but the truth is I don't want it badly enough to go through the extreme diet and training routine. A toned body is good enough for me and how much work I am willing to do in that area.

@Strm is right. You can't count on motivation. It's great to be fired up but motivation is just a high and every high comes with a low.
Discipline works better. It's just a skill. Don't be intimidated by some of the more disciplined folks on here who can easily do 18-hours a day.
You can get to that point as well but it's a process. And it takes time.

Things that have worked for me:

- Measure how much time you spend a week especially how much time you spend being productive. Reflect on this at the end of the week and set targets for the next week. During the week. Monitor this number and if you aren't performing then ask yourself what's the biggest offender and then create a plan to get your week back on track. I recommend actually lowering your targets if you're underperforming. This is to remind yourself that targets aren't just numbers you put out there. They are commitments that you have to meet. If all you've done is 4 hours a day. Then commit to just 4 hours a day for the rest of the week and if you see your performance going up, raise the target. This is a strategy that works in the long term and you can also use it to inspire you when you compare to old data and see how much progress you've made.

- 30-day challenges. These are really great if you want to practise getting into beast mode. Set a target you think you can do for 30 days - keep it ridiculously small if you're still not confident in your ability to commit. At the end of each day just write down some notes about doing the challenge, do some reflection, even if you didn't do it that day just reflect and say I didn't do this becuase ...
30-day challenges are great because they are not long-term commitments but they really help you develop your discipline muscle. Even if your 30-day challenge takes you 40 days that's OK. My first one took me 60-days. But that will improve over time.

- Set goals. This gives you structure. Yearly, quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily goals. And reflect and adjust your goals as you go. I recommend doing a morning 'sit-down' to just look at your goals for the week and plan your day. Sometimes it's easy to be distracted when you don't have a definite thing to do on your TO-DO list. When it comes to To-Do lists - prioritise. This will help you because you know exactly what needs to be done and what to do when you finish it. Also if you're procrastinating doing task number 1 maybe you go to task number 2.

- Journal - Just write some notes. I am wasting time because ... e.g. I don't want to study ABC because I think it's too complicated. Maybe I should try a different book or course. Maybe I just need to give myself more time say 6 months to finish this. That way I can do 3 hours a day. Just let your mind spit out the underlying reasons to how you're feeling as you procrastinate and try to brainstorm ideas to get you through this. This is really great if you're still not sure why you are not motivated or why you waste time.

- Finally. It takes time. Be patient. Give yourself credit. A lot of the stuff on the importance of process is in the Millionaire Fastlane . Which I would recommend you read again.

cm-devpreneur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Aug 27, 2020
London
I know what it feels like to be frustrated with yourself because against your better judgment, you just won't do the work that moves the needle.

I know what it feels like to wake up all excited and optimistic, convinced that finally, THIS time, I'm actually going to work. And then you get to the end of the day, and again, you've wasted time and done none of the things you were supposed to do.

I know what it feels like to hate yourself because you keep wasting time. You watch your life passing by, and you know that you're hurting yourself by your actions, and yet you keep wasting time. It's as if you're addicted to a drug, and you keep taking the drug even when it's destroying your own health, your job, and your family relationships.

Here's the deal.

What you need is NOT some motivational/ scary / shocking information/ quotes. It won't help. You'll get all scared and shocked by the hideous prospects of how you could end up homeless and starving if you don't get yourself moving...only to disappoint yourself YET AGAIN when you STILL won't work. Or you'll amp yourself up with motivational quotes until you have a strong, sublime feeling...and still, nothing.

It will NOT help for you to read a few lines daily whenever you are about to waste your time. If you're not going to work, you're going to be able to waste time even if every square inch of your wall space is plastered with motivational quotes.

You don't need someone to teach you the value of time. You ALREADY KNOW the value of time, and you are wasting it anyway. You know that you have 24 hours in a day. You know that you are going to die.

Here are two steps that will help you.

NUMBER 1
The NUMBER 1 skill you need to develop now is this:

You need to develop the ability to decide to work, and then follow through.

In other words, you need to believe your own commitments to yourself.

You've got to get to the point where when you resolve something, you honor it.

You keep your word to yourself.

Right now, you you're doing the opposite. You resolve that you're going to work, and then you don't work.

In other words, you're betraying yourself on a daily basis.

What you're really doing is convincing yourself that you're helpless to make yourself work. You're training yourself with every repetition. "Yep, there I go again. I expected as much."

You've got to turn this around.

Here are a few tips and resources that can support you in getting there.
At the end of the day, the development of your own discipline boils down to this:

Practice actually doing work.

You need reps.

Break it down small enough to actually get some WINS and maintain a winning streak.

Right now, you're on a losing streak.

"Every day, I intend to work, but then I don't."

OK, that's a problem, but I assume you're asking this question because you actually want to turn it around.

So your "win" needs to happen in a MUCH smaller time frame than a day.

Break it down.

What's a unit of time that you can actually commit to working—and SUCCEED?

It might be an hour.

It might just be 5 minutes.

Maybe it's just ONE minute.

You need to start keeping your word to yourself.

Nobody is watching. Nobody knows what's going on with your time.

Only you do.

"I commit to working with focus and attention for the next 5 minutes."

And then do it.

Build up your reps.

You've got this.

NUMBER 2

My second piece of advice for you to implement now is to hate your temptations.

Identify your temptations. The things that pull you off track. Your vices.

And then regard them with fear, loathing, and hatred.

No more indulging and coddling your temptations. No more "just one more time."

You've got to come to the point where you FLEE these thieves.

Think of them like they're rattlesnakes.

If there was a rattlesnake on the floor under your computer workstation, you wouldn't shrug your shoulders and continue just mindlessly wasting time.

Are you complacent and apathetic about the times when you're off-track?

Let's say you're mindlessly scrolling through facebook.

You know you're off track.

You know you should stop it and go do something productive.

But you still just sit there.

"Just one more minute."

"I'll start working presently. I really will."

You wouldn't be saying, "I'll get away from this rattlesnake presently" if your facebook feed was a rattlesnake.

But your facebook feed (or whatever your favorite time waster is) is literally poisonous to your dreams.

It's venom.

It's death.

Are you going to tolerate this stupid time waster coming into your life and destroying your chance to get to the fastlane?

Or are you going to actually regard your time wasters with the hatred they deserve for robbing from you?

RUN AWAY from your temptations.

Do whatever you need to do to block them out of your life.

Whether that means getting apps that block your internet access, or finding an accountability partner, or whatever practical thing will support YOU, do it.

This is great advice and lots of useful actions to take. I would suggest when it comes to temptations. Try to find ways to use them to your advantage? Do you like checking Facebook regularly throughout the day? Why not resolve to still 'take a break' and be productive e.g. by light reading a helpful book or something else that will help you long term. Try and piggy back a closely related good activity to your bad habit.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I think my sleep schedule is messed up. Whenever I had some good sleep, I am motivated most of the day. It's automated.
I agree with you, environment plays a huge role. I'll try to change that.
Thank you my friend.

I think you are correct, there is a ted video which explained about the panic part of brain, whenever you are about to reach a deadline, that panic part of brains activates automatically. I wish I had that panic part and sense of urgency all the time with me.
It is not about developing the panic internally.

You have to get someone to “point a gun at you” to do things. The someone can be yourself or others. Join some accountability program. I do it myself by setting specific daily task and punishment for meeting hourly deadline.

Internally drives and ambition do not work for 99.9 percent of the population, me included. If they ever worked the world will be full of fit, healthy and rich millionaires, at least in the developed countries with enough resources.

If you read history you will realize execution is not difficult. Put a bunch of men in military uniform and ask them to charge at enemy machine gun fire during war, Get commanders to shoot anyone who retreat. Almost all foot soldiers will charge and not retreat against enemy machine gun fire. These are the same people if you teleport them to present day and most will stuck in mediocrity, regardless of how you try to motivate them. That was my aha moment In execution.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't know if this is true but I don't think it's very helpful. Yes most entrepreneurs are high-achiever type-A personalities who can easily put 90 hours a week into their business. But I happen to believe that anyone can learn anything - even how to be very motivated and start the kind of business they want to start.

If a person is 'not cut out to be an entrepreneur' and they still want to do it they should go for it. Yes, the journey is more painful for some and there are easier options but for some like me the journey is about finding out what your limits are and overcoming as many of your limiting beliefs as possible. For example, it's easy to look at me now and see a failure but what I've learnt through the journey is priceless and for me the journey isn't over. Things such as 'you're not cut out for this' really affect a person's confidence and make the journey harder especially to someone who is starting out. Even though they are said with good intentions.

I say this as someone who was once incredibly unmotivated, lazy, undisciplined and full of BS excuses. I'm not even close to where I want to be but over the years I have put in place little daily habits to help me improve my discipline day by day.

If you compare my level of discipline to most people here it doesn't even come close, it's still quite low. But if you compare to where I was 3 years ago or even just earlier this year you will see a big difference.

To answer @Appdeveloper :-
I think most people suggesting you find your own quotes are right. This is because people are motivated by different things. A good place to start is why. Why aren't you motivated? Why do you want to be motivated? What kind of business do you want to start? How much money do you really want? Why? Get to the real reason why you want wealth? And be honest about how much work you want to put in. Because it's a trade off. For example I'd love to look like a bodybuilder but the truth is I don't want it badly enough to go through the extreme diet and training routine. A toned body is good enough for me and how much work I am willing to do in that area.

@Strm is right. You can't count on motivation. It's great to be fired up but motivation is just a high and every high comes with a low.
Discipline works better. It's just a skill. Don't be intimidated by some of the more disciplined folks on here who can easily do 18-hours a day.
You can get to that point as well but it's a process. And it takes time.

Things that have worked for me:

- Measure how much time you spend a week especially how much time you spend being productive. Reflect on this at the end of the week and set targets for the next week. During the week. Monitor this number and if you aren't performing then ask yourself what's the biggest offender and then create a plan to get your week back on track. I recommend actually lowering your targets if you're underperforming. This is to remind yourself that targets aren't just numbers you put out there. They are commitments that you have to meet. If all you've done is 4 hours a day. Then commit to just 4 hours a day for the rest of the week and if you see your performance going up, raise the target. This is a strategy that works in the long term and you can also use it to inspire you when you compare to old data and see how much progress you've made.

- 30-day challenges. These are really great if you want to practise getting into beast mode. Set a target you think you can do for 30 days - keep it ridiculously small if you're still not confident in your ability to commit. At the end of each day just write down some notes about doing the challenge, do some reflection, even if you didn't do it that day just reflect and say I didn't do this becuase ...
30-day challenges are great because they are not long-term commitments but they really help you develop your discipline muscle. Even if your 30-day challenge takes you 40 days that's OK. My first one took me 60-days. But that will improve over time.

- Set goals. This gives you structure. Yearly, quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily goals. And reflect and adjust your goals as you go. I recommend doing a morning 'sit-down' to just look at your goals for the week and plan your day. Sometimes it's easy to be distracted when you don't have a definite thing to do on your TO-DO list. When it comes to To-Do lists - prioritise. This will help you because you know exactly what needs to be done and what to do when you finish it. Also if you're procrastinating doing task number 1 maybe you go to task number 2.

- Journal - Just write some notes. I am wasting time because ... e.g. I don't want to study ABC because I think it's too complicated. Maybe I should try a different book or course. Maybe I just need to give myself more time say 6 months to finish this. That way I can do 3 hours a day. Just let your mind spit out the underlying reasons to how you're feeling as you procrastinate and try to brainstorm ideas to get you through this. This is really great if you're still not sure why you are not motivated or why you waste time.

- Finally. It takes time. Be patient. Give yourself credit. A lot of the stuff on the importance of process is in the Millionaire Fastlane . Which I would recommend you read again.

The difference between your situation and the OP's is that you chose action and the OP has not. The OP cannot accomplish any of the things mentioned in your post because they all require action, and his continuous decision to not take action is the reason this thread was created.

Here is the thread title:

"Motivate Me..! I Just Can't Do The Work..!"​

If he can't, then he can't. Change will not occur without the work. Only he can prove himself wrong on this one, and if he can't, then he can't.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
It is not about developing the panic internally.

You have to get someone to “point a gun at you” to do things. The someone can be yourself or others. Join some accountability program. I do it myself by setting specific daily task and punishment for meeting hourly deadline.

Internally drives and ambition do not work for 99.9 percent of the population, me included. If they ever worked the world will be full of fit, healthy and rich millionaires, at least in the developed countries with enough resources.

If you read history you will realize execution is not difficult. Put a bunch of men in military uniform and ask them to charge at enemy machine gun fire during war, Get commanders to shoot anyone who retreat. Almost all foot soldiers will charge and not retreat against enemy machine gun fire. These are the same people if you teleport them to present day and most will stuck in mediocrity, regardless of how you try to motivate them. That was my aha moment In execution.
This.

A good person to 'point the gun' at you would be a paying client.
I remember the countless nights where I had to write sales copy in a few hours, or just get fired by my client for being too effing slow.

And I had to write the damn copy, even though it was for telehealth... a field I had never written copy for.
One way or another, I completed the task...and somehow we raised sales conversions rates for their telehealth pharmacy products from a measely 5% to 13-18% for multiple categories like vitamins and consultations.

I think I did my part TOO well though...my client was asking his team, 'WTF are you not responding to the team chats quickly enough? Lee here is a temp freelancer, but he's updating progress on work far more prompt than all you full-timers!'

Too bad I let him go though, for other reasons.

enri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 4, 2019
Are you wasting your time online?
Just cancel your internet subscription.

Watching too much TV?
Sell your TV.

Wasting time reading motivational books?
Burn them.

etc etc etc

If you must use internet for your work or school, great, you are then forced to change your environment and manage your time more wisely (eg when going online in a cafeteria or library). But if introducing any radical change in your life is too extreme for you, and you have all the excuses of why you "can't". Then you can continue collecting motivational quotes with other Pinterest moms, wait for some sort of miracle in future. Am I being too harsh? I hope so, because the world is full of people who only accept giving and receiving some sort of subconscious motherly pecks on the cheek, avoiding the truth in order not to offend anyone's feelings. But is that what you expect from an entrepreneurial world? Take this verbal kick in the nuts as a reality check, as pondering over pseudo problems looks like yet another form of time waste for you.

Adam Yakubu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Aug 22, 2020
Ghana
IF you can't do the work, Get someone to do it for you and Pay them..

TIA

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
In short, what I need from you guys is some motivational/ scary / shocking information/ quotes/ few lines which I will read daily before I start wasting my time or read whenever I am about to waste my time. Write down some sentences which I can re- read again and again to get back to work instead of wasting my time.

OP: Help motivate me by giving me some lines to read daily, so I stop wasting my time

Reply: “You’re a loser and should just quit”

OP: Stop being mean to me

:rofl:

Oh the irony.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States
@Appdeveloper

If I offered to give you $100,000 at the end of 7 days, with the only condition being that you hustled and busted a$$ working every day... do you think you could do it?

Or would you come up with reasons why you couldn't, like "it takes time to form a habit".

Outdoorlife2005

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 10, 2020
Illinois
This should motivate you. It did me.
You wake up tomorrow in pain. It came out of no where. You go to the hospital and hours later you’re diagnosed with congestive heart failure and liver failure. You’re 29 years old and have only accomplished 1/4 of what you’ve wanted to accomplish....you could die within the next few years. Or undergo a heart/liver transplant and mentally won’t ever be the same or feel the same. And could die at any given time.

that’s my fiancé’s story. It woke me up. It’s pretty motivating me me anyway...

Wake up. Get to work. And never give up

Last edited:

PirriRichFast

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 30, 2020
Holland
you can start the day with Wim Hof breathing, then exercise like a beast! for 1 hour.
After that take a cold shower! not first warm water, cold!!!
If after that you have no motivation to blew up the house! i dunno what helps.

Stop sex, masturbation, no porn.
Clean mind after 10 days! you think what i feel like superman!! and think i feel so pumped!!! lets attack this world!
Most men drain them self, or play games, watching nedflix, find your ´why reason´ and go after it!!.'
Get your F everything moment! Like David Coggins says train your mind! take something out of your cooky jar that motivates you to better your life. and the crap and shit we have endured in this world!

I think poor people, people that come with a little boat from Eritrea to Europe have a other mindset then most of us.
I worked with 1 guy from there.. He is a Cristian and first before he could get to a boat to Europe he needed to walk to Sudan where they hang people like him on a market to sell them like slaves!
Then when he entered the boat, they where on this boat with 300 people.. i say 300 but i think he said 500 Dunno for sure.
The boat room size was just like a living room.. when they finished it to Italy most people where dead! people where sitting with 5 on 5 on top of each other.. Men Woman Children... this is the most F up thing i ever heard!
Most people in holland when they see someone from Eritrea, Say ah oh another luck seeker, they get everything etc, Its true most of them get allot of stuff and they get money each month. but its not allot.
We dont know why they do that and with the fear for there live, so the people that reach it to here they are very happy and they have life in them!!! most people i see around here, Dutch people they walk like zombies! there life is sucked out of there bodies! Its a weird thing, they are married with there cellphone.

This dude! tried everything to get to Europe and now live in Amsterdam and got a good job, Diploma etc.
If i never knew his story, maybe i thought the same about him or others like allot of other people do.
But never judge a book by its cover.

We rich western people just have it to good to grind.
Look at most people in Amerika, most people have obesitas, They never step outside there door to see the sky, or go for a walk, they don´t even have a bike.. If the store is 300m away they take there big a$$ car.
And then go back to there home, Watching TV with a big bag of Dorritos.
Thats the life of 95%

D

Deleted68316

Hi @Appdeveloper. Honestly, I think I am similar to you.

What helps me, is to use a measure.

It can be:
- cold calling for two hours (set a timer). Just started this thanks to a post from @MTF
- Study 50 pages a day. That's what I did during University. If the test was 500 pages, I started 11 days before. 50 pages a day plus one day to recap (which I never did).

NOTE: I don't like doing the things above. And I am not successful yet, neither.

loop101

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

TIA

Who pays your bills?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
IF you can't do the work, Get someone to do it for you and Pay them..

LOL

You Sir are a real entrepreneur, problem solving at it's finest :D

BRIANDAVE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 5, 2020

TIA
Having a strong why will definitely help you out of this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.