The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Millionaire By 25 Documentary

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I see what you're saying. I understand why you may feel that way. Others have felt the same, you're not the first to bring up the idea. What I explained to them and what they ultimately realized was that in these types of documentaries, it's more accessible when they watch someone who is like them going into a world where they know nothing and they learn together.

On one side, there's your objection, on the other there's the objection that people won't feel like they can do it and will detest the idea because someone who's not like them (already achieved success and is knowledgable) is preaching what to do.

That's why films like "the greatest movie ever sold", and "no impact man" are so successful. It also makes damn good entertainment and is inspiring to watch.

The value to the customer is quite large. their purchase largely goes to charity, they get to watch how someone, like them, earned a million dollars in two years and retired his family. Even if someone can't take any tangible, practical education out of it (which is highly unlikely), it makes damn good entertainment. Yet again, hollywood films like "the pursuit of happyness" are successful for a reason.

I'm not intending to be hard headed in an unjustified way, but I really do not agree with you based on what you've said.

That being said, I'm not opposed to changing my mind and my teachability and willingness to learn is very high, if I can understand where you're coming from and see where I'm at fault.

To explain in an even simpler way - take a step back and look at where all the value lies:

You're going to star in a documentary about making money- value is on YOU definitely not me. It would be valuable to me if someone who knew how to make a lot of money was documented.

You're going to interview successful people- value is on YOU and the person you're interviewing. If you really wanted to create massive value, you'd have someone who knows how to make money asking questions about making money.

You're trying to be the jack of all trades and the master of none.

You have thought very little about the amount of value you're providing the potential customer, but a lot about yourself.

Because YOU think it'd be interesting to make a documentary about YOU learning to make money while YOU interview people, doesn't mean other people will.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
True. But whatever gets him motivated, is what I'm trying to get at.

I just don't think this guy will do it. He's got the mindset, but he's literally gotta eat, sleep, breathe, and shit business in order for this to work. He's gotta build something that will get him at least a $1 million asset in 18 months.

The scene I'm envisioning: He walks into some office of a guy who does business valuations. He presents the papers and the guy dramatically says the worth of the business, something like "Your business is approximately worth, one million, one hundred and twenty thousand dollars" and Mr. Millionaire looks down and covers his eyes, in an emotional moment.

I want to see that scene. I jsut don't think it will materalize. Nothing personal, man.

This did motivate me, thank you.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Great advice man.

Not only do you have to focus on a single start up by pledging all your time, effort and resources to that start up because that is what it demands to make it a success. But your start up has to be VERY focused on the solution to the pain point in the market. If you can't tell me in one sentence or succinctly what is your start up accomplishes then your start up is not focused enough and you get an end product that the market usually rejects.

I was reading a really good article that said that if you can't articulate in less than 60 seconds to investors what exactly your start up does and why you are the right person to execute that then its a bust.

the fashion line will cover the expenses, and make some good profit, but it's not a million dollar maker. I'm taking Chad Mureta's approach to app development. It's not about one app changing the world. It's about developing up to 4 apps a month that are 2-5k to make and selling to an already proven market. It's volume. He sold 10 million apps in 3 years from scratch with no expertise. I'm waiting until the site launches on tuesday and I'm going to contact him and seek him out in california for mentorship.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
and i'm quite offended that you would suggest that it isn't about earning the money

you shouldn't be offended with anyone but yourself then. you've spent more time asking about the documentary and your youtube videos and fb pages about your documentary, but close to 0 time asking any of the successful people on the forum how to make money.

that's insanity if making money is your goal.

i'm working 18 hours a day towards it.

this doesn't mean anything if you're spending 18 hours working on all the wrong things.

If you look at the scope of it, I've done a hell of a lot in 7 months from scratch.

- I built an mlm organization of 100 people (22 personally sponsored) in 6 months.
- I built a well put together blog and gained some traction called old sentiments
- I have set up manufacturing, prototypes and the website for the fashion line
- I did 1 month market research on apps and the first one is now being developed, including the logo and website for the business as well
- I set up publicity and awareness for the documentary through social media, and got the website developed
- I've interviewed 9 successful millionaire entrepreneurs

You've "done a hell of a lot" of wasting time. If your goal is to make money as you say, why did you go in with no plan, and still not seem to have a plan. If you do all the sudden have a plan, why have you not shared it so people can tell you if it is a good plan. You said you don't want to share details because film directors don't want you to. Yet, you claim making money is the goal.

Your projects by number:

1. mlm- failure- wrong model -- (with 1 post on the forum you would have known this)
2. blog- wrong model. you don't have anything that will allow you to scale that to 1m -- (with 1 post on the forum you would have known this)
3. no info provided
4. no info provided
5. publicity- failure. time waster -- (with 1 post on the forum you would have known this)
6. interviewing people- failure. time waster. could have interviewed the same people in 1 day on the internet if your mind wasn't wrapped around making a doc, but instead about making money -- (with 1 post on the forum you would have known this)

So, I see things that if done correctly would have taken somewhere from 1-4 days, and some other things you haven't talked about.

Yet, you're 7 months in, claiming your goal is to make money and be successful.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
3. Partnered with the blogger disneybound to create a fashion accessory line. I'm bound by a non disclosure agreement to not mention who the retailer is that wants to carry the fashion accessory line, I find out this week if they want to go ahead carrying it, otherwise it's an internet soft launch to start.

4. the apps are volume based. Looking at apps that are already successful, finding out how they can be improved, doing so and releasing them. Scaling up to 4 apps in development a month. Chad Mureta has proved this model works by selling 10 million copies in 3 years from scratch as a nobody.

What I would like to know, Snowbank, is how can I create solid capital for myself while these things are launching. it's still going to take another 30 days before either launches and I can't afford to have that long without capital coming in.

you shouldn't be offended with anyone but yourself then. you've spent more time asking about the documentary and your youtube videos and fb pages about your documentary, but close to 0 time asking any of the successful people on the forum how to make money.

that's insanity if making money is your goal.

this doesn't mean anything if you're spending 18 hours working on all the wrong things.

You've "done a hell of a lot" of wasting time. If your goal is to make money as you say, why did you go in with no plan, and still not seem to have a plan. If you do all the sudden have a plan, why have you not shared it so people can tell you if it is a good plan. You said you don't want to share details because film directors don't want you to. Yet, you claim making money is the goal.

Your projects by number:

1. mlm- failure- wrong model -- (with 1 post on the forum you would have known this)
2. blog- wrong model. you don't have anything that will allow you to scale that to 1m -- (with 1 post on the forum you would have known this)
3. no info provided
4. no info provided
5. publicity- failure. time waster -- (with 1 post on the forum you would have known this)
6. interviewing people- failure. time waster. could have interviewed the same people in 1 day on the internet if your mind wasn't wrapped around making a doc, but instead about making money -- (with 1 post on the forum you would have known this)

So, I see things that if done correctly would have taken somewhere from 1-4 days, and some other things you haven't talked about.

Yet, you're 7 months in, claiming your goal is to make money and be successful.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I really do not agree with you based on what you've said.

I'm not shocked- You've spent 7 months working on a documentary, and have not spent the time necessary to understand why my advice is correct if your goal was to have your money making goal be successful.

my teachability and willingness to learn is very high

Any teachability and willingness to learn that you may have(which you have not proven very high), is outweighed by your desire to be well known.

I've met a number of very hungry entrepreneurs. You do NOT have the teachability and willingness to learn that they have. You're more focused on arguing why your documentary is going to be a good thing rather than saying, "oh shit, multiple people who know how to make money are telling me I'm doing something wrong -- maybe I should listen".... "na, I'll tell them I disagree but am SUPER motivated to learn and very teachable!"

I know when I'm wasting my time.

As they say on Shark Tank, "I'm out"

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
^ exactly

This whole thread is becoming depressing.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
You may be right, and I'll consider the constructive criticism. I would like you to know though, out of all the entrepreneurs i've interviewed and came to for advice, I've never had someone attack my idea or my way about it. Being that it was a first for me, I was put into the defensive.

I'm not shocked- You've spent 7 months working on a documentary, and have not spent the time necessary to understand why my advice is correct if your goal was to have your money making goal be successful.

Any teachability and willingness to learn that you may have(which you have not proven very high), is outweighed by your desire to be well known.

I've met a number of very hungry entrepreneurs. You do NOT have the teachability and willingness to learn that they have. You're more focused on arguing why your documentary is going to be a good thing rather than saying, "oh shit, multiple people who know how to make money are telling me I'm doing something wrong -- maybe I should listen".... "na, I'll tell them I disagree but am SUPER motivated to learn and very teachable!"

As they say on Shark Tank, "I'm out"

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
If I am attempting to tackle too much (learning to make the income desired, earning the income desired and teaching people to do it) what would you be most excited about seeing. Should I mainly focus on earning the money without trying to teach how?

I appreciate all of this advice.

^ exactly

This whole thread is becoming depressing.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
and...... back to the documentary

facepalm of all facepalms

I've invested money and time into the production of the documentary. the main focus is money. I asked a simple question so I know whether I should pivot my approach. Everytime something happens during me working towards the million, I talk to the camera in a teaching way. If I know not to focus on trying to teach, then it'll save me a lot of time to earn more money.

you're very critical. I asked you a question about money and you didn't answer it.

D

DeletedUser394

This is going downhill fast.

Take the night off and start fresh tomorrow by re-reading all the advice given. It might make a bit more sense. What everyone is saying is right on.

I honestly haven't followed your story, but the recurring thing that I keep seeing is 'documentary, documentary, documentary'.

What would we like to see in the documentary? You actually making your 2 million (or 1 million, or whatever the goal may be) instead of teaching something you haven't yet experienced.

Good luck

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Thank you for all of your opinions tonight. While it may seem like I'm focusing too much on the documentary, snowbank made a good point. with the three things that are going on "learning to make money, making the money, teaching". I didn't look at it from that perspective. I persisted with the documentary talk after, because I am investing money to make this thing and I wanted opinions on that subject tonight so I could re-evaluate in the morning. After that, questions will only be about making money on here. And I'll be happy for all of the advice that's given and for people offering their time to help me on my journey. I hope that clears things up, on that note, I will take the rest of the night off and reread tomorrow with less trigger fingers.

This is going downhill fast.

Take the night off and start fresh tomorrow by re-reading all the advice given. It might make a bit more sense. What everyone is saying is right on.

I honestly haven't followed your story, but the recurring thing that I keep seeing is 'documentary, documentary, documentary'.

What would we like to see in the documentary? You actually making your 2 million (or 1 million, or whatever the goal may be) instead of teaching something you haven't yet experienced.

Good luck

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Either make a million and AFTER THAT do a documentary on it ('my road to success' like those hundreds of books out there by stars, entrepreneurs etc.)

OR

be a filmmaker filming successful people asking about their way to success

OR

be the next guru selling get rich tips stuff while being poor at the start, but getting rich by selling get rich tips

PS: I would love a forum filter that replaces hype terms like 'I will make 10 million in 1 month' automatically by 'I will solve a need and provide value' :D

this sounds like your main goal. much more than making $1m in 2 years. you want to be well known. there's nothing wrong with that. i can tell you right now there's substantially easier ways to do this. if your main goal was really what you say it is, to make $1m in 2 years, spending so much time on the documentary and gearing what you share around what film directors are telling you is insane.

without focus, you WILL fail. right now you're on a track to failure, if you're being honest about your goal. you are all over the place. you can't decide if you want to be a documentary maker, someone who knows how to make money, or someone who learns how to make money. these are extremely different things. you're trying to be the star of the documentary, with a goal that you have no plan of hitting it sounds like, while also attempting to have it be another version of think and grow rich. you can't try to do all 3 and do extremely well at 1 of them.

Think and Grow Rich was great because it dominated what it's main goal was.

Tim's new book will dominate what it's goal is.

Those are market leaders in what they were attempting to do.

How a 25 year old kid who wants to be well known fails to make $1m while attempting to teach lessons like Think and Grow Rich did is substantially different - it is the market leader in nothing.

You're so focused on film festivals and NYT bestsellers that you're not even stopping to realize that you're not doing the best things to try and reach your goal- which is the main reason people would be interested.

If "Millionaire by 25" turns into "25 year old who made $37k in 2 years while interviewing people" it's not accomplishing any of your 3 goals.

You won't have made money as efficiently as you could have.

You won't have learned to make money as efficiently as you could have.

You won't have great interviews or compilations of amazing information like Tim Ferriss or Think and Grow Rich because you don't know the best questions to ask.

"25 year old who made $37k in 2 years while interviewing people" is not going to achieve your goal of getting well known.(don't kid yourself that getting well known isn't one of your main goals. you've spent more time on websites to promote the film, fb page to promote the film, logos and all that other stuff that is irrelevant to making money than anything else.)

You're so caught up in trying to make this documentary about 72 different things that it's not going to do any of them well. I've said that before but it's worth mentioning again. You're all over the place.

Jobless people are not going to be excited about this if you don't make a LOT of money. Watching someone fail, and then trying to spin it off as, "I failed but I learned a lot" is played out in my mind. Especially if you're not going to get anywhere close, and sprinkle in interviews of other people too.

I'm not a film producer, but it sounds like individually some of these would have potential. Mixed together- a mess

If you truly want to be taken seriously, listen to people who know what they're talking about, and execute on what they say.

If you're just going to assume people are hating on you and going against their advice, you're going against what your whole project is about.

It's like the kid on this forum who constantly disagreed with people who knew what they were talking about, then tried to launch a freelancing site while going against the exact service he was offering.

It seems like you have a skill at making documentaries.

If you want to be well known, and wanted to do a documentary about someone who knows how to make money making millions of dollars, I'd love to watch that. You would get the publicity you're looking for by being the one producing that. You'd also probably make some decent money on the doc, because if focusing on that one specific doc, and doing it insanely well, it'd probably be extremely successful.

If you really want to make $1m in 2 years, I'd start focusing on that. Going into the doc with no plan to do so, and so little time spent on the making money part 7 months in, it's clear the amount of focus won't allow you to do this right now.

millionaireby25

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Apr 4, 2012
Either make a million and AFTER THAT do a documentary on it ('my road to success' like those hundreds of books out there by stars, entrepreneurs etc.)

OR

be a filmmaker filming successful people asking about their way to success

OR

be the next guru selling get rich tips stuff while being poor at the start, but getting rich by selling get rich tips

PS: I would love a forum filter that replaces hype terms like 'I will make 10 million in 1 month' automatically by 'I will solve a need and provide value' :D

Thanks for the tips.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
What are some good bootstrapping ideas to keep cashflow coming in while your startup(s) are in prelaunch. 30 days without income coming in is tough.

Search "hustler's guide" in the search bar. You'll find a lot of info. Ryan (RichKid) has saved a lot of money since starting that thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Today's lesson in macroeconomics via forum microeconomics and how the velocity of money is driven:

----

The currency (MONEY) on this forum is speed, as designated in KPH count.

It represents VALUE, or actual WEALTH CREATION.

Your post count represents ACTION.

Notice you have 84 posts (lots of ACTION!) but ZERO speed. which equates to ZERO MONEY.

Sound familiar?

You're approach on using this forum is the exact same approach you are using for making money. (Which is why you haven't made any yet!)

Isn't it also ironic that the TOP speeders on this forum happen to be the big money makers and the millionaires? Have the figured out "the secret formula?"

I actually wrote out another LONG response and deleted the entire thing ... why bother.

We're dealing with someone who hasn't even read TMF .

My suggestion to you this:

Please stop posting here until you've read TMF in its entirety. You don't even need to buy it -- go find it on the torrents and get it for free.

If you're serious about "making money" and so-called teachable, you'll come back with an update, and hopefully, a great one at that.

Adios.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It is not often someone tells you to get his/her paid product for free.

It's obvious he needs the information a helluva lot more than I need his ten bucks. :)

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

photo-10.jpg

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah that's the one thing that i don't understand... i followed you on FB and you have read quite a lot of books about making money but the likely most helpful you haven't touched even after being a member here for quite a while. You can read the book within 1-2 days if you really want to and it likely will change your entire live... why wouldn't you?
I really loved the idea of the documentary on how to make 1 million in two years but you know what... i don't have a F*cking clue on how to make 1 million in two years... but quite a few members on here do know how to become a millionaire and they gave you a ton of advice in this thread USE THERE ADVICE!

Like MJ said read his book before posting on here again will probably be the best for your i am 100% sure you won't regret it.

My english isn't the best but i hope you get the point! I can also understand that it must be really hard to get all of the criticism on here specially after putting quite a lot of energy and money into the project but i hope you will make the right decision whatever it will be.

Good luck.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
You may be right, and I'll consider the constructive criticism. I would like you to know though, out of all the entrepreneurs i've interviewed and came to for advice, I've never had someone attack my idea or my way about it. Being that it was a first for me, I was put into the defensive.

With respect, those you're interviewing have a motivation to like what you're doing. You're aiding their publicity by them being in your documentary.

The people on this forum have zero potential benefit in you succeeding; so you're more likely to get honest advice.

One last bit of advice... make your YouTube channel professional looking. It doesn't even have an avatar. Add links to your websites, facebook and twitter in the comments. That's useful SEO. Most people won't be bothered to search for your site = missed visitors.

Lucas Reis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 19, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm proud to be a subscriber to this topic, and this forum.
MJ DeMarco, thank you for the offering of a PRODUCT with a true NEED!

Millionaireby25, I hope you see that everyone is trying to help, and in order to do this you must be limber.
As I said before, I wish you good luck and please set your aim and go for it!

=]

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
limber?

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
It's obvious he needs the information a helluva lot more than I need his ten bucks.

I'd say. I cringe reading all his action taking. If he would take the time to watch your article videos, you have a great video about driving east, when you should be driving west, and taking the wrong type of action. Just a little bit of time invested would have saved him months of time.

How to take a fastlane to success instead of no where

Are you driving east to financial freedom when you should be driving west

OP, please watch these.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads