The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mike Rowe for PragerU: DON'T Follow Your Passion (great video)

Anything related to matters of the mind

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
This video should be mandatory viewing before high school graduation.

On a side note: I'd rather listen to Mike Rowes voice than Morgan Freeman lol

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I genuinely like Mike. He's got good intentions and though he speaks of a lot of slowlane paths, he knows there's a fastlane within dirty work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Yea, it's been posted here 1/2 dozen times over the last 2 years and was pretty much the first "mainstream" person to counter the BS narrative "follow your passion." Of course I'd like to say I was one of the first to say this way back in 2008 when it was unheard of, but I'm not mainstream.

Now it's more common place and I'm always like "Duh, yea I've been saying it over a decade."

I went through their other videos and there are a ton of really good ones on the same channel

Surprised you found PragerU stuff in the first place... the TechnoCzars are always censoring their vids for political incorrectness. But yea, there's some really good stuff there if logic and reasoning is your thing ... emotional thinkers won't like it.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Yea, it's been posted here 1/2 dozen times over the last 2 years and was pretty much the first "mainstream" person to counter the BS narrative "follow your passion." Of course I'd like to say I was one of the first to say this way back in 2008 when it was unheard of, but I'm not mainstream.

Now it's more common place and I'm always like "Duh, yea I've been saying it over a decade."

Surprised you found PragerU stuff in the first place... the TechnoCzars are always censoring their vids for political incorrectness. But yea, there's some really good stuff there if logic and reasoning is your thing ... emotional thinkers won't like it.

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
Here's a book that deals with a similar theme.

So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love https://www.amazon.com/dp/1455509124/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I know @MJ DeMarco was reading his second book Deep Work.

Description:

In this eye-opening account, Cal Newport debunks the long-held belief that "follow your passion" is good advice. Not only is the cliché flawed-preexisting passions are rare and have little to do with how most people end up loving their work-but it can also be dangerous, leading to anxiety and chronic job hopping.

After making his case against passion, Newport sets out on a quest to discover the reality of how people end up loving what they do. Spending time with organic farmers, venture capitalists, screenwriters, freelance computer programmers, and others who admitted to deriving great satisfaction from their work, Newport uncovers the strategies they used and the pitfalls they avoided in developing their compelling careers.

Matching your job to a preexisting passion does not matter, he reveals. Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before.
In other words, what you do for a living is much less important than how you do it.

With a title taken from the comedian Steve Martin, who once said his advice for aspiring entertainers was to "be so good they can't ignore you," Cal Newport's clearly written manifesto is mandatory reading for anyone fretting about what to do with their life, or frustrated by their current job situation and eager to find a fresh new way to take control of their livelihood. He provides an evidence-based blueprint for creating work you love.

SO GOOD THEY CAN'T IGNORE YOU will change the way we think about our careers, happiness, and the crafting of a remarkable life.

Review:

"This book changed my mind. It has moved me from 'find your passion, so that you can be useful' to 'be useful so that you can find your passion.' That is a big flip, but it's more honest, and that is why I am giving each of my three young adult children a copy of this unorthodox guide."

--Kevin Kelly, Senior Maverick, WIRED magazine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Matching your job to a preexisting passion does not matter, he reveals. Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before. In other words, what you do for a living is much less important than how you do it.

Yup, and results fire the feedback loop, firing passion. Passion doesn't lead the exercise, is follows.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
Yup, and results fire the feedback loop, firing passion. Passion doesn't lead the exercise, is follows.
what about interest? is that different from passion?
to get through hurdles and challenges, you have to want to get to the objective. the 'want' is the passion, no? to put in the hard work, you have to want to do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.