The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Make £1300 in 5 weeks - Your Suggestions

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Okay so my gf has set herself a challenge. She wants to make £1300 ($1680) by 31 December 2019, giving her 5 weeks to do it. Crazy? Probably. But maybe not.

I told her I'd come on here to ask you guys for some inspiration.

Here's a little more context:

-She works in a slowlane job as a beauty therapist, Thursday-Saturday (pretty much 9-6 or 9-8 each day)
-She hasn't tried to start a business before
-We have a 2 year old son who she looks after Monday-Wednesday when she's not at work
-We currently rent our house so can't sublet
-We live in Scotland, UK
-She isn't looking to invest too much money into this (although if it's a great idea we won't rule it out)

Broken down, her goal equates to (rounded)

Goal: £1300

£260 per week
£37 per day

Willing to listen to all suggestions, could be a fun game for everyone to get involved with! She isn't looking to keep this going long term however if she ends up enjoying it and is seeing results I can imagine she might want to stick at it - could be her first venture into entrepreneurship.

Suggestions for offering beauty services away from her work are off the cards as she isn't allowed to work self-employed and for the company who employs her at the same time.

I might start an execution/progress thread once we've made a decision to keep you all updated and receive feedback on what we've been doing.

So... what would you do if you had to make £1300 in 5 weeks? Looking forward to your suggestions.

Any questions, fire them at me!

EDIT: Should have mentioned that the £1300 needs to come from something other than her job!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
EDIT: Should have mentioned that the £1300 needs to come from something other than her job!
Shit... i was going to recommend fb posts to wrangle up some day job business.

My girlfriend is a stylist too, and I've been trying to get her to open her own shop for a while now.

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Shit... i was going to recommend fb posts to wrangle up some day job business.

My girlfriend is a stylist too, and I've been trying to get her to open her own shop for a while now.

Same here! She has said before that her long-term goal is to open her own beauty salon and she is using her employer for free training just now

Unfortunately, her work don't allow her to work from home for herself on her days off - otherwise this would have been the go to!

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Unfortunately, her work don't allow her to work from home for herself on her days off - otherwise this would have been the go to!
My girl has had bosses like that too. It's crazy the shit female skilled labor has to put up with. If a boss told a carpenter he couldn't do side work, he'd smash him with a hammer.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Flip items on craigslist / kijiji / ebay / Facebook? (bikes, phones, cars, computers, ipods, etc...)?

Paint or clean houses for neighbours and friends?

Sell christmas trees from a farm nearby direct to consumers?

Secondary job at a restaurant / coffee shop / store outside of her dayjob hours?

Sell unneeded clothes or consumer goods around the house?

Uber / lyft driving?

Good luck!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
What if by focusing on the £1300 goal she ends up limiting herself?

What if she instead determines that she wants to spend X hours in pursuit of making additional income?

She could spend .4 * X hours researching needs, then .6X hours executing once she finds a high value one.

I'd recommend taking a look at this thread:

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
Does she have any experience with nail designs, painting different stuff, etc? She could try doing christmas gifts, the time of the year is in her favour. Doesn't need to have good drawing skills, just a good eye with colour, designs, geometry... all that can work. Add some short christmas sentence about loved ones and such, frame it, and you could have a nice gift for 20-30$.

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Does she have any experience with nail designs, painting different stuff, etc? She could try doing christmas gifts, the time of the year is in her favour. Doesn't need to have good drawing skills, just a good eye with colour, designs, geometry... all that can work. Add some short christmas sentence about loved ones and such, frame it, and you could have a nice gift for 20-30$.

Love the sound of this. Would be very easy to start - low costs and could use her current social media network to market the product, fb groups etc.

So you mean like using A6 card, paint on some designs and frame it with a Christmassy quote? Genius!

She's actually very creative, arty and great at drawing so this could work well

Looking at the numbers we would need to sell 65 items at £20 or 43 items at £30. Obviously there will be some overheads but will need to look into this for figures

This could be a great contender, something different to the usual suggestions

liero1

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Oct 17, 2019
do matched betting, seriously, especially since living in UK. It is hard work but you can easily make 1-2k a month risk free.

francevalue

The Apostle
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 29, 2019
(̶S̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶)̶ France
Okay so my gf has set herself a challenge. She wants to make £1300 ($1680) by 31 December 2019, giving her 5 weeks to do it. Crazy? Probably. But maybe not.

I told her I'd come on here to ask you guys for some inspiration.

Here's a little more context:

-She works in a slowlane job as a beauty therapist, Thursday-Saturday (pretty much 9-6 or 9-8 each day)
-She hasn't tried to start a business before
-We have a 2 year old son who she looks after Monday-Wednesday when she's not at work
-We currently rent our house so can't sublet
-We live in Scotland, UK
-She isn't looking to invest too much money into this (although if it's a great idea we won't rule it out)

£260 per week
£37 per day

Willing to listen to all suggestions, could be a fun game for everyone to get involved with! She isn't looking to keep this going long term however if she ends up enjoying it and is seeing results I can imagine she might want to stick at it - could be her first venture into entrepreneurship.

Suggestions for offering beauty services away from her work are off the cards as she isn't allowed to work self-employed and for the company who employs her at the same time.

I might start an execution/progress thread once we've made a decision to keep you all updated and receive feedback on what we've been doing.

So... what would you do if you had to make £1300 in 5 weeks? Looking forward to your suggestions.

Any questions, fire them at me!

Maybe try dropshipping... I know it's not really a good business on a long term, but it may help your gf!

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
This Type Of Gig Will Get You $1,500 In Less Than 3 Weeks.
All you need is a good eye for cleanliness

Construction Cleaning.

My wife and I clean an entire (2,200 sqft) house in only 3 days lazily and comfortably...
meaning we don't work every day nor strain ourselves.
And we only have one client which gives us 2-3 houses per month. 6 per month soon because of a busy winter.

Lets do the math....
$.35 x 2200(sqft) = $770
Materials = $55
Profit = $715 earned in 3 days

Find a house that is being built, almost built, not built, already built.
The good part about post construction cleaning is that there is no personal items in the house and it is a million times easier to clean than someone already living in it. Pays the same if not more.

-Offer them to clean their entire house with windows on the inside per sqft. Try to not include garage as usually the contractors manage to clean that one when they are done building.
Always... always.... ALWAYS make sure they know you will only clean up after them ONCE. Because we had a time where they wanted us to clean while subs were working there and all they do is make another mess and expect us to clean after them.

Materials needed..

Liquid Dish Soap - $4
Microfiber Towels - $4
Vacuum Cleaner - $0 (you either already have one or borrow one)
Buckets - $5
Floor Mop - $20
Goof Off - $5
All Purpose Cleaning Solution - $4
Magic Eraser - $1
Paper Towels - $3
Squeegee - $10

Process list:
1.Vacuum floors, shelves, outlets, bathtubs, showers, anything with a lip or ledge(aka, windows, door frames, etc)
2.Wipe down everything you just vacuumed with moist towel with a splash of cleaning solution
3.Wash the window frames
4.Wash showers, bathtubs till sparkling(toughest part)
5.Clean windows using dish soap solution
6.Wash floors last

All of that takes us an accumulated 10 hours each(20 together).
Eventually if you can find enough clients to keep you busy all week then hire a helper or two.

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
do matched betting, seriously, especially since living in UK. It is hard work but you can easily make 1-2k a month risk free.

We actually done this for a while before! Was hard to keep track off but we’ve both got accounts with a lot of bookmakers now so would struggle to get sign up offers

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Maybe try dropshipping... I know it's not really a good business on a long term, but it may help your gf!

Thought about it but would require a decent amount of capital to test ads, set up store etc. Plus we would need to fulfil orders before we purchase them from wholesaler so that means more capital!

D

Deleted74396

You can sign up to TesterJob/NiceRebate and get free items from Amazon in return for reviews. You can just make up reviews using the item description, then sell the item on eBay. You get the money back for the item, plus a bonus sometimes, plus whatever the item sells for on eBay.

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
This Type Of Gig Will Get You $1,500 In Less Than 3 Weeks.
All you need is a good eye for cleanliness

Construction Cleaning.

My wife and I clean an entire (2,200 sqft) house in only 3 days lazily and comfortably...
meaning we don't work every day nor strain ourselves.
And we only have one client which gives us 2-3 houses per month. 6 per month soon because of a busy winter.

Lets do the math....
$.35 x 2200(sqft) = $770
Materials = $55
Profit = $715 earned in 3 days

Find a house that is being built, almost built, not built, already built.
The good part about post construction cleaning is that there is no personal items in the house and it is a million times easier to clean than someone already living in it. Pays the same if not more.

-Offer them to clean their entire house with windows on the inside per sqft. Try to not include garage as usually the contractors manage to clean that one when they are done building.
Always... always.... ALWAYS make sure they know you will only clean up after them ONCE. Because we had a time where they wanted us to clean while subs were working there and all they do is make another mess and expect us to clean after them.

Materials needed..

Liquid Dish Soap - $4
Microfiber Towels - $4
Vacuum Cleaner - $0 (you either already have one or borrow one)
Buckets - $5
Floor Mop - $20
Goof Off - $5
All Purpose Cleaning Solution - $4
Magic Eraser - $1
Paper Towels - $3
Squeegee - $10

Process list:
1.Vacuum floors, shelves, outlets, bathtubs, showers, anything with a lip or ledge(aka, windows, door frames, etc)
2.Wipe down everything you just vacuumed with moist towel with a splash of cleaning solution
3.Wash the window frames
4.Wash showers, bathtubs till sparkling(toughest part)
5.Clean windows using dish soap solution
6.Wash floors last

All of that takes us an accumulated 10 hours each(20 together).
Eventually if you can find enough clients to keep you busy all week then hire a helper or two.

Aw yes!!! Superb, love this! Another great idea and very little capital required along with not a lot of time. Few questions though:

1) How do you go about looking for these newly built homes? Do you check estate agent sites? In the UK, a lot of newly built homes are built in mass by a housing association, so there are maybe 50 houses built by a large housing development company.

2) Do you approach the new home owner or the company who built the house?

3) Would you come put yourself forward as a company? Or just as a sole person looking to make some cash?

I ran this one by my gf and she really liked it, could be the one if it can work here in UK. And could be an absolutely huge business idea long term

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
You can sign up to TesterJob/NiceRebate and get free items from Amazon in return for reviews. You can just make up reviews using the item description, then sell the item on eBay. You get the money back for the item, plus a bonus sometimes, plus whatever the item sells for on eBay.

I’ll have a look into this in UK, could be a good way to get some extra cash even if it’s small amounts

D

Deleted74396

I’ll have a look into this in UK, could be a good way to get some extra cash even if it’s small amounts

Give it a go, obviously research the item before you order it to check resale value is decent. You can search my completed/sold items on ebay :) Even with higher priced items, I'd probably not bother holding out for buy it now prices and just putting it on auction. I ended up holding way more stock than I intended for a quick side hustle for some extra cash, and I still made decent amounts even with auctions.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why not “Grow what you know”?

Are there any services or products she can sell that would complement those of her day job? Can she sell something that has her bosses wanting her to succeed even more because it brings more money to them?

Speaking of which, can she run digital marketing campaigns for her employer and get paid for it? If not her employer, what about beauticians one other cities?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
As a parent I am surprised no one's mentioned Baby sitting. You already have a toddler. Can you open an evening creche for toddlers in your neighborhood? With the upcoming Holiday season so many parents would love to have a reliable option to drop off their little ones while they go shopping. She's already taking care of your son, she could have a few more over! :)

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Why not “Grow what you know”?

Are there any services or products she can sell that would complement those of her day job? Can she sell something that has her bosses wanting her to succeed even more because it brings more money to them?

Speaking of which, can she run digital marketing campaigns for her employer and get paid for it? If not her employer, what about beauticians one other cities?

It’s funny you say that actually, she’s identified a problem in her industry and we’ve been looking for a solution but she is trying to build momentum and confidence by proving to herself she can make money herself first

I suggested digital marketing but that’s my current business venture and she would like to do something herself that’s her own.

Thanks for the suggestions though

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
As a parent I am surprised no one's mentioned Baby sitting. You already have a toddler. Can you open an evening creche for toddlers in your neighborhood? With the upcoming Holiday season so many parents would love to have a reliable option to drop off their little ones while they go shopping. She's already taking care of your son, she could have a few more over! :)

Yeah could be a good shout, just not sure if there will be enough demand to make £1300 before 2020

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I suggested digital marketing but that’s my current business venture and she would like to do something herself that’s her own.
Tada! Join forces.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
May I humbly suggest you read and beware of this:

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
May I humbly suggest you read and beware of this:

Haha, thanks Andy AND obviously not meaning anything negatively or maliciously when I am replying to suggestions, literally just giving my (my gf's) feedback!

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
1) How do you go about looking for these newly built homes? Do you check estate agent sites? In the UK, a lot of newly built homes are built in mass by a housing association, so there are maybe 50 houses built by a large housing development company.
All we do is simply drive around and look for construction sites. It always ends up in a decently sized contractor that builds houses fairly quickly.
2) Do you approach the new home owner or the company who built the house?
Approach anyone on site and we usually ask for the project manager and if they say he's not on site then just ask for a number or leave a card and let them know what services you provide
3) Would you come put yourself forward as a company? Or just as a sole person looking to make some cash?
If you put yourself out as a company you will need licensing, insurance, forms...etc. I don't know about the rules in UK but in my state, if you make under a certain amount, you do not need to associate your services under a business rather "craigslist" type work when filing taxes.. it has to be under $10,000 a year.... but that was a while ago I don't know what the minimum threshold is now. If it doesn't take much to license and insure and you feel like its a good business to run with, go for that option as a lot of big contractors will not mess around with people that are not insured on their properties due to liabilities.

MK35

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 22, 2016

£260 per week
£37 per day

This is a great first step to goal setting!

Breaking down a goal like this would make it easier to hit it.

If your girlfriend wants to earn a side income, building up a high-income skill would be useful (especially in the long run)

Here are a few:
- Copywriting
- Affiliate marketing
- Social media marketing

There are tons of information - both free and paid - online that could help her get started. I could list specific sites here if you want. But I'll give you the liberty to do some research on your own (part of skill-building too!)

Since she is an experienced beauty therapist, start making a list of beauty tips to share with an audience.

Phil Dawber1

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 28, 2020
United Kingdom
This is a great first step to goal setting!

Breaking down a goal like this would make it easier to hit it.

If your girlfriend wants to earn a side income, building up a high-income skill would be useful (especially in the long run)

Here are a few:
- Copywriting
- Affiliate marketing
- Social media marketing

There are tons of information - both free and paid - online that could help her get started. I could list specific sites here if you want. But I'll give you the liberty to do some research on your own (part of skill-building too!)

Since she is an experienced beauty therapist, start making a list of beauty tips to share with an audience.

Hey,

i appreciate im a few years late to this party but if you're able to provide further like you suggest id be interested in expanding my knowledge?

thanks

phil

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.