The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for writers to interview

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Hello, Fastlaners! Do you consider yourself helpful?

I joined this forum a few years back, avidly following in the footsteps of @HeldforRansom and @ChickenHawk. I've written a few books since then (27 novels, to be exact), some self-published, some as a ghostwriter, and I still follow discussions everywhere about best practices for indie writers closely.

Along the way, I've had many questions, both here and elsewhere, about how I get so much writing done in the few hours a day I spend writing. So, I'm now researching in preparation for creating an online course about writing productivity. There's a whole lot more to come, including coaching and an expansion for at-home entrepreneurs and solopreneurs who aren't writers, but starting with the industry I know seems like the way to go.

I have one question for you, and if you self-identify something that fits with my project, I'd love to invite you to talk with me for half an hour, to say more, to get some help with the most pressing item, and for me to clarify what to put into a small pilot course. Are you game?

Then here's the question: What keeps you from writing as much as you want to every day?

I haven't made it a poll, because I don't want to put words in your mouth. I want to hear your words, and I want you to be able to say as much as you want. So, please answer in comments, and thanks for participating!

If we talk, I'll do my best to help you with your most pressing issue as a thanks for helping with my research. All conversations are confidential.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Focus on income. With KU, Cockygate, GetLoud, and just the drama, publishing feels more like a Zero-Sum hunger game than a financial opportunity. I've had to switch my priorities to put a full time job and my private brand strategy clients in front of publishing.

The moment I go from launching several books that make $2500 on their launch... down to $1200-$1500 per launch, down to only $360 for the launch... and all things are equal save for the toxic environment, the less willing I am to have arse in chair getting the work done.

FWIW... I am writing more NOW that I have financial stability, but I needed to pay my bills FIRST before making the decision to continue writing and publishing.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hi, Lauryn! Good to hear you ARE still writing. Nice to see you, and thanks for the answer. Do you find it easy to write daily now that you have a full-time job and another business?

Yes, because I actually come to work 90-110 minutes early explicitly to get the words in. Weekends, not really. I have a significant other who takes up my time. Evenings and weekends are for other things.

pooja.y.dubey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 14, 2018
As a professional writer, I have to give priority to clients and many a times which leaves less time for me to write what I actually want to write. Other things that keep me from writing are high expectations from myself to produce the best, lack of creative breaks, lack of guidance or ideas to begin with, mood swings, laziness, and lack of social exposure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
I wrote a few erotica short stories back in 2015 but I stopped, too much of an effort for me. Plus, I met a guy who's a 6-figure publisher in Kindle and I just didn't like the amount of writing needed to earn that much.

What keeps you from writing as much as you want to every day?

Nowadays I focus on copywriting (with an emphasis on emails) so I'm not sure if my answer is relevant to your question:

But my main problem every single time is not having enough research ready. This way, I'm waiting for ideas to come and I lose time, staring at the page. Whereas if I have lots on notes in front of me, writing is easy, peasy, Japaneasy.

Other than, writing in English (not my main language) tires me easily and after 4 hours of writing I want to go and vegetate.

Finally, make sure to check AWAI-they're a direct response marketing powerhouse that focuses on writing-related services. You'll get tons of ideas from them.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
As a professional writer, I have to give priority to clients and many a times which leaves less time for me to write what I actually want to write. Other things that keep me from writing are high expectations from myself to produce the best, lack of creative breaks, lack of guidance or ideas to begin with, mood swings, laziness, and lack of social exposure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
If you'd like to set up an interview, it sounds like your perspective would be valuable to my research. I can also help with some of that during the interview. Direct message me if you'd like the link to set an appointment for a half-hour interview/coaching session.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
What keeps you from writing as much as you want to every day?

Nowadays I focus on copywriting (with an emphasis on emails) so I'm not sure if my answer is relevant to your question:
Any kind of writing is relevant. I write both fiction and non-fiction, and while the process is different, productivity skills are the same.

But my main problem every single time is not having enough research ready. This way, I'm waiting for ideas to come and I lose time, staring at the page. Whereas if I have lots on notes in front of me, writing is easy, peasy, Japaneasy.
What keeps you from getting the research together so you find the writing easy?

Other than, writing in English (not my main language) tires me easily and after 4 hours of writing I want to go and vegetate.
Is that four hours without a break? No wonder your energy flags. Try a Pomodoro timer that allows you to set blocks of time and reminds you when to take a break. I recommend at least 10 minutes after an hour of writing, and I recommend not to write more than an hour at one go. Some writers 'sprint' for half an hour, with a 5 minute break. You'll find your groove, but do take breaks. Imperative for your health!

Finally, make sure to check AWAI-they're a direct response marketing powerhouse that focuses on writing-related services. You'll get tons of ideas from them.
Thanks for the referral, but I need individuals, not a service, to get perspective on their issues. I'd love to interview you, for example, to go a little deeper into your identified problems. As I answered above, if you'd like to give me your perspective and get a little customized help, send me a direct message.

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
What keeps you from getting the research together so you find the writing easy?

To be honest, laziness and bad programming on my part. I have the luxury of working whenever I can and sometimes, unless I'm really disciplined, I lose focus

Is that four hours without a break? No wonder your energy flags. Try a Pomodoro timer that allows you to set blocks of time and reminds you when to take a break. I recommend at least 10 minutes after an hour of writing, and I recommend not to write more than an hour at one go. Some writers 'sprint' for half an hour, with a 5 minute break. You'll find your groove, but do take breaks. Imperative for your health!

Oh good lord, yes that's 4 hours with breaks in between. I usually do 30-45 minutes of work, followed by 10-15 minutes of break. Again, in Greek, I'm able to work much more but the Greek market lacks Scale ;)

Thanks for the referral, but I need individuals, not a service, to get perspective on their issues. I'd love to interview you, for example, to go a little deeper into your identified problems. As I answered above, if you'd like to give me your perspective and get a little customized help, send me a direct message.

No problem, but I didn't mention them as potential interviewees. It's just that they've done a lot of research on the hot buttons of writers and, who knows, you might get a couple idea out of them for your own thing. As for interviewing me, sure - let me know how we can move forward with this ;)

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX

English is my native language and I NEED to vegetate after that amount of time. People don't understand, writing isn't easy. It just seems that way. Kudos to you, for real.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I didn't mention them as potential interviewees. It's just that they've done a lot of research on the hot buttons of writers and, who knows, you might get a couple idea out of them for your own thing.
Yes, that's what I'm saying - that's called low-level research. They've aggregated responses, interpreted them, made them uniform for an article. I've already done that type of research. I'm looking for raw, uninterpreted words now. What people actually say, not a report of what they say or experience, if that makes sense. :smile2:

As for interviewing me, sure - let me know how we can move forward with this.
I'll message you. Thanks! :smile:

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.