The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: Guru Cults Exposed: The Tactics "Experts" Use To Pull You In & Suck You Dry

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This post makes me feel really gullible lol
I've been thinking about getting into digital publishing and been following Anik Signal. He seems to teach how to share value for free through landing pages and then building rapport by getting their e-mail and auto sending messages that can eventually lead them to buy a consulting/coaching service. Would you consider him credible?
Really looking forward to your response, thank you in advance!

This guy is clearly good at business and marketing.

You don't build businesses the size of his without some kind of skills.

But when you look deeper at what his course offers...it's just like every other guru.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 3.31.19 AM.png

This is the exact funnel I've described in this thread.

He's going to teach you the same stuff I taught you here (maybe in more detail or maybe not).

I noticed a lot of his website marketing mentions turning your passion into a business.

That's a red flag for me usually.

This guy didn't make all his money from online publishing.

If you take this course, go into it knowing it's not a publishing course.

It's a marketing course that might have some publishing stuff sprinkled in here and there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I am hooked on this whole series! Thank you Lex!

I have bought courses from webinars - and mostly good value (not finished them yet!), but I'm a bit more cautious now, which helped me avoid getting into a 16k investing thing after email-video-free live weekend sequence. I was really put off by the coaching sales call tactics - encouraging people to borrow money - and by things I noted during the weekend seminar. Definitely cultish!

Now, my filter is "how does (or recently did) this person make the majority of their income?" If it's not what they are teaching, then I'm not interested. E.g. an online music / merch sales course where the lady shows in the free (and useful content full) FB group exactly how much she made this month. (Of course you have to trust this ... totally another question). Or @Fox :)

I have long disliked the "coaches coaching people to be coaches" infinite loop - somebody has to DO actual work somewhere at some point, and that is what's worth learning how to do.

Anyway, thanks again for this, Lex, and I'll keep reading!

Fox's course is a good place to be for someone starting as an entrepreneur.

Loads more value in his courses over the gurus you'll come across.

I'm not totally against people putting courses or coaching on credit.

But only when it's to acquire an actual skill they need to make forward progress.

Better to spend money you don't have on something to help you earn money than on a new couch or Playstation :D

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
I'm not totally against people putting courses or coaching on credit.

But only when it's to acquire an actual skill they need to make forward progress.
:thumbsup:

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
I don't think pirating someone elses work will go down well here.
Just link to the amazon page and let people repay the author.
The art of manipulation is a book published in 1978 that is out of print and maybe there's a copy still on Amazon for $680.

The hidden keys of persuasion from Blair Warren was put online by him and is not sold in any book format. It's a PDF from a class he taught.

Why don't you save the self righteous Hero bullshit that clearly you copied from some other people on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I wrote that in the nicest way possible.

As I am sure you know this forum is run by someone who is a self published author.

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
I wrote that in the nicest way possible.

As I am sure you know this forum is run by someone who is a self published author.
Of course.

You could say MJ wrote 2 of the greatest books documenting the scams perpetrated on the masses in society.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
The art of manipulation is a book published in 1978 that is out of print and maybe there's a copy still on Amazon for $680.

The hidden keys of persuasion from Blair Warren was put online by him and is not sold in any book format. It's a PDF from a class he taught.

Why don't you save the self righteous Hero bullshit that clearly you copied from some other people on this forum.

exactly. you have identified the right books to read

hint : most of the best books to read are not available in the bookstore next door

because the masters don't want the stupid masses to have access to knowledge

we don't allow children to play with lighters

same thing with knowledge

knowledge is yang, fire and power beyond darkness and ignorance

zippo.jpg

Eben Pagan understands this very well

pagan.png

that's why he created this symbol for his guru mastermind program

the flame of knowledge

guru.png

eben.png

same thing here again as i said before :

knowledge, the flame and the all seing eye above the masses

e.png

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
This thread will look beautiful in platinum. :clap::

yUsvzGW.png

color code: #95AFC0
:smile2:
#MakeItHappen

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I'm appreciative of this thread for the great posts in it, some from @SinisterLex and some from the local Illuminatus.

this is double edge. by exposing gurus, we are giving the formula for success to would be guru

they might say :

" wait a minute, if most people are so easily conned, why am i not doing the same thing with this knowledge ? "

think about that : gurus are exposed here, but they make money anyway everyday and they won't be sued or anything

they don't care about this thread and guys exposing them

in fact, they are probably reading this and laughing out loud

Man-Woman-Laughing.jpg

so what's ethical ?

being a 9 to 5 slave ? or being a guru ?

i will think twice about that...

Last edited:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Can you remake with EPIC instead? I think it suits better :) @MJ DeMarco

the author of the thread should be rewarded for his willingness to tell the secrets of INSIDERS

with a special " exposing scams " prize in his avatar

this is like being coached by a world series of poker champion

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014

I have long disliked the "coaches coaching people to be coaches" infinite loop - somebody has to DO actual work somewhere at some point, and that is what's worth learning how to do.

Anyway, thanks again for this, Lex, and I'll keep reading!

Putting it that way reminds me of public school, or at least me perception of some of my teachers (not all of them) when I was there. Kids who did well in and enjoyed school grew to adults with education degrees so they could teach the same useless crap in the same classrooms. All paid for with taxes and mountains of debt that kept them and anyone who followed their lead almost successful, yet not quite successful and deeply in debt.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Jeff Walker is not even hiding the tactics he and others gurus are using

in his PLF training, he talks about the mental trigger designed to make you buy

this is taken from a free report his is giving away :

plf.jpg

how powerful

you can take the process , own it and apply it to anything in your life

cults, politics, events, sales, whatever

the keyword is sequence

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
talking about ethical behaviour :

i really believe there are two mains categories of human who can't communicate with each other.

two human species

people who think : what matters is the destination . 20 % of humanity

people who live for gossip and small talk : what matters is who is sleeping with the neighbour . 80 % of humanity

the top 20 % say : " we are hiking in life, what matters is the destination, not irrational small talks with each other "

hiker.jpeg

the 80 % say : " we don't care about the destination, we want to camp for ever in the woods and talk about absurb things : who is sleeping with that girl, who bought that new car "

party.jpg

gurus are humans ( hikers ) who are taking advantage of the irrational behaviour of the herd

i agree with them. i admit.

this is a matter of intelligence and dignity

people who insult intelligence must give their energy to humans who think

VegasMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 8, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
"And you can bet that the more the other party harps on about making you money, the more he stands to gain from the deal at your expense. " - The Art of Manipulation, R.B. Sparkman

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
talking about ethical behaviour :

i really believe there are two mains categories of human who can't communicate with each other.

two human species

people who think : what matters is the destination . 20 % of humanity

people who live for gossip and small talk : what matters is who is sleeping with the neighbour . 80 % of humanity

the top 20 % say : " we are hiking in life, what matters is the destination, not irrational small talks with each other "

View attachment 18503

the 80 % say : " we don't care about the destination, we want to camp for ever in the woods and talk about absurb things : who is sleeping with that girl, who bought that new car "

View attachment 18504

gurus are humans ( hikers ) who are taking advantage of the irrational behaviour of the herd

i agree with them. i admit.

this is a matter of intelligence and dignity

people who insult intelligence must give their energy to humans who think

I agree with this. That's the difference that sense of purpose and direction can make in one's life.

I see our current society as a huge train full of dumbed-down people - they all drinking, laughing and being entertained by fake clowns on the back of the wagon (our system and its means of manipulation).

The thing is: People are lost. The train is heading straight to a cliff and I'm jumping the hell out of this shit.

I can truly say that these days I don't get even a minimum itch by going against the crowd. I'm glad I broke free and I'm completely comfortable about that.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
what's the common ground of all these things :

1) politics

obama.jpg

2) gurus

tony.jpg

3) america

statue.jpg

3) cult, religions

pope.jpg

4) poker, lotteries

poker.jpg

5) the fastlane forum

fastlane.jpg

and so on

any guess ?

HOPE

1) hope that the new president will save america

2) hope that gurus will save us

3) hope that america will save the world

4) hope that God will save us

5) hope that lotteries will save us

6) hope that MJ DeMarco teaching will save us

so are you seeing a pattern here ?

can you see the potential for leading the masses ?

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
what's the common ground of all these things :

1) politics

View attachment 18544

2) gurus

View attachment 18546

3) america

View attachment 18545

3) cult, religions

View attachment 18547

4) poker, lotteries

View attachment 18548

5) the fastlane forum

View attachment 18549

and so on

any guess ?

HOPE

1) hope that the new president will save america

2) hope that gurus will save us

3) hope that america will save the world

4) hope that God will save us

5) hope that lotteries will save us

6) hope that MJ DeMarco teaching will save us

so are you seeing a pattern here ?

can you see the potential for leading the masses ?

Put hope in something outside yourself to save you? Doom.

Take responsibility for being the creator of your life? Success.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

dimraj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Nov 30, 2016
So for everyone that has read this thread in its entirety...

Are these tactics happening right before our eyes?

Read this thread and let us know what you think:

1,000,000 Followers On Social Media: How I Am Doing It & How You Can Too

Yep! Its ridiculously rampant and has only gotten worse especially since 2017, Youtube is full of all these gurus who proclaim they can make millionaires overnight with their magical formula and courses! Even younger guys come into the internet marketing space these days with the pure aim of selling courses.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
So for everyone that has read this thread in its entirety...

Are these tactics happening right before our eyes?

Read this thread and let us know what you think:

1,000,000 Followers On Social Media: How I Am Doing It & How You Can Too
Having now read 1,000,000 Followers it does appear that these tactics are happening before our eyes. I may be wrong and a fair few of us may be having foot sandwich for tea, but I like the odds of being right. One thing is very noticeable concerning this thread, as opposed to the 1,000,000 Followers one, here @SinisterLex gives useful advice/adds value straight away whilst the latter doesn't.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
INC magazine called me a "Social Media Rockstar" for a reason. I know social media as good as the palm of my hand.

If that's not the biggest red flag ever, I don't know what is. Opening with bullcrap social proof based on free publicity anyone can get. Didn't even need to read beyond that line. :D

I did read beyond it though (since MJ tagged me), and here are my thoughts... MJ can see it, but I wonder if anyone else can. A post that has 34 likes must be good, right?

No.

I never liked his first post from his notable thread. Looked shady as shit just like this one. So I stopped reading the first one and never returned to it. Anyone who looks closely will find every persuasion tactic in the book used in this guy's posts. From copywriting to pre-suasion techniques, to social credibility, to a personal branding references.

The way you prove that you have that presence, is by doing something that gets you publicity.

You could:

• Get massively popular in one social media platform, then cross promote others, then show the audience you have
  • Do something viral
  • Get media coverage (online or offline), show credibility
  • Build your personal brand
Surprise! The way you prove your presence is by showing credibility and building your personal brand. Kind of reminds me of something...ah, yes...the way gurus last shift in their 5 shift webinar ALWAYS suggests you "get mentoring." In other words the final shift or bullet should always be to "get the thing I'm planning to sell you later on."

Guarantee this is leading back to a course or 8 week program...

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
If that's not the biggest red flag ever, I don't know what is. Opening with bullcrap social proof based on free publicity anyone can get. Didn't even need to read beyond that line. :D

I did read beyond it though (since MJ tagged me), and here are my thoughts... MJ can see it, but I wonder if anyone else can. A post that has 34 likes must be good, right?

No.

I never liked his first post from his notable thread. Looked shady as sh*t just like this one. So I stopped reading the first one and never returned to it. Anyone who looks closely will find every persuasion tactic in the book used in this guy's posts. From copywriting to pre-suasion techniques, to social credibility, to a personal branding references.

Surprise! The way you prove your presence is by showing credibility and building your personal brand. Kind of reminds me of something...ah, yes...the way gurus last shift in their 5 shift webinar ALWAYS suggests you "get mentoring." In other words the final shift or bullet should always be to "get the thing I'm planning to sell you later on."

I’m curious to see if this forum becomes smarter now because of your thread.

Maybe we’ll see these sorts of threads snubbed by the community straight off the bat.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

No.

I never liked his first post from his notable thread. Looked shady as sh*t just like this one. So I stopped reading the first one and never returned to it. Anyone who looks closely will find every persuasion tactic in the book used in this guy's posts. From copywriting to pre-suasion techniques, to social credibility, to a personal branding references.

you are very smart and learned my boy.

your posts are much more interesting than most of the guru's books on influence out there

I’m curious to see if this forum becomes smarter now because of your thread.

Maybe we’ll see these sorts of threads snubbed by the community straight off the bat.

at least, people are more interested in this topic than before

you know, this is really a battle for energy here

this energy is not electricity, farming or anything like that

this energy is people's approval : their money, their endorsement, their work

history has proved beyond any doubt that we can't really talk to people and the masses with logic

so we have to find something else : emotions, systems, whatever

that's why think tanks were created : to manage the irrational masses

for example : the fabian society

Fabianwolflamb.png

as you can see, the symbol shows a wolf in sheep clothing

wich means smart people must manage the masses

and moreover , they have to do it with the right tools and systems

Jim Rohn talks about " the mysteries of the mind "

because we don't understand why some people follow common sense and some don't

rohn.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.