The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Land Trust

Shawn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 14, 2007
Hi,

we are purchasing a new home and our attorney has sold us on the idea of an Illinois Land Trust. Privacy is important to us, but once a utility bill is set up, people would know who lives there. So my question is does anyone here have experience with properties in trusts and what do you do with utilities? I was thinking of trying to set them up in the trusts name, just not sure if that would work. If not, maybe a dba name of that property address, or if not, a relative. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Hi,

we are purchasing a new home and our attorney has sold us on the idea of an Illinois Land Trust. Privacy is important to us, but once a utility bill is set up, people would know who lives there. So my question is does anyone here have experience with properties in trusts and what do you do with utilities? I was thinking of trying to set them up in the trusts name, just not sure if that would work. If not, maybe a dba name of that property address, or if not, a relative. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn

Just curious - what state is the new home in? IL Land Trusts don't work in all states.

Megan H

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Hi Shawn,

If you are using an IL land trust, then the property will be titled in the name of the Trustee. So theoretically, the bills could be in the Trustee's name, too. It might cost more though - depends on who your Trustee is and what the scope of your agreement is.

Have you run this question by your attorney yet? If he/she is selling the LT package as a privacy vehicle, this would seem to be a reasonable (and frequently-asked) question.

Hope this helps,

Megan :seeya:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shawn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 14, 2007
Good point, thanks, I'll ask him about it. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.