The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

29 year old male - Currently own Land Development Company, Development Consulting Company, commercial Real Estate brokerage

17thgreem

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Oct 3, 2021
Good evening everyone, I was just reading my twentieth thread on the merits of getting involved in a forum such as this and with over +/- five years of being a Fastlane lurker, I figured what the hell.

To start off I'll tell everyone that I have always been the kind of guy that learned his lessons through the metaphorical bloody noses life has to offer, and over the past few years I have been no stranger to bloody nose after bloody nose, and endless lessons. I've always been a relationship builder and knew I was destined to sell in some capacity from a young age. I started with Merrill Lynch straight out of college but within a year knew that I was not where I should be, and jumped ship to commercial real estate brokerage primarily focusing on the larger investment side with industrial assets, and the rest was history.

Over the last few years it has been a bumpy road to get to where I currently find myself in business today. I blew up a career during which the previous year I had taken home $250k at the age of 25, incinerated four bitcoin due to being liquidated trading on 100x leverage, lost friendships, dealt with addiction issues, toxic relationships with women, and oversaw all of my own stock/option trading and was able to take my account north of half a million twice, only to end up with $100k or less. It was around this point, roughly two years ago, when I made the conscious decision to focus on land brokerage and ultimately development.

I reside in a large southeastern market with good fundamentals, but my focus is on the path of growth and tertiary markets. Think like the human dollar general.

If I have been able to accomplish anything thus far, it is due to the fact that I have been able to stand on the shoulders of giants. I've always approached my business with the mantra that if I get in front of you, I am going to make you like me, and then ultimately I'm going to win your business. The greatest asset to me has been my realization that your network is your net worth, and a winning equation that I would best describe as the following. Approach all new business with the mentality that I am here to do twenty deals with this person, not just a one and done style.. but in order to do that you have to get the first deal right. Only behaving in the clients best interest at all times, and always embracing the ideology that there will always be another deal.

The greatest asset to me has been my ability to make clients money, make those clients my friends, and then ultimately my mentors. When someone becomes your mentor they begin to take an emotional investment in you, and look at your failures as their failures.

With the right mentality, skillset, and hustle you can make it far, but with the right partners and people, you can go superhuman distances.

I've tried my best to outline below a rough structure of the current state of affairs and entities that I own/am partnered in.

New Caliber Development
  • Focused on light development, consulting, and brokerage and sales of estate lots and land.
  • 50/50 partnership with a large local developer
  • Company acquired +/-300 acres in mineral rights this year
  • +/-$300,000 in our business banking acct since opening last quarter
Highlands Development
  • Company recently closed on 70 acres which we worked over a year on to get entitled for 74 townhomes.. Rezoning, planning commission, etc etc
  • Acquired land for $1.2mm, have under contract for $1.9mm
  • closed using other peoples Money
  • Minimal assets outside the above
  • 50/50 partnership with a highly competent general contractor. During the sale of the 70 acres I negotiated with the developer to get my partner the contract to build the 74 townhomes (+/-$30MM project) in which he and I will split profits
Primum
  • This entity owns the largest and potentially most lucrative development I have in the works
  • Owns +/-36 acres on major Hwy in up in coming market
  • Was able to acquire original land for cost basis of $400k due to bringing owner of said land as partner
  • After acquistion I was able to get it zoned, approved to tap into sewer, and entitled for up to 384 apartment units
  • Site plan attached
  • currently under contract for $4.6mm
Favorite quote: "I am the wisest man on earth, for I know one thing, and that is, that I know nothing" - Aristotle

I still F*ck up things left and right, but I am relatively happy with the progress I've made in a short amount of time. If I could give advice to a younger me, it would be to continue to think big, and then go bigger than that. Be stubborn and beat your head against the brick walls for months on end, and it will eventually crack. Do not ever quit.

This is a great community, and we are all lucky to have it as a resource. If I can ever help anyone, don't hesitate to ask.

Best,
Logan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...