The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kyle Keegan Radio Show

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Does someone have to suffer for you to be successful?

This was based, loosely, on a discussion I was having privately with a member of the forum. I hope he will discuss this in the open here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

This was based, loosely, on a discussion I was having privately with a member of the forum. I hope he will discuss this in the open here.
Interesting that you backed off from Twitter. I did as well. I don't get sucked into politics on there, I don't like how content on Twitter disappears so fast. I'd rather post somewhere where the content can be found years later.

Amogh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 7, 2022

Dear @Kak sir, I'm really thankful to you for making this episode. As I've told you earlier, it's a delight to listen to you. You've hit the nail on the head in the episode and it resolved all my concerns.
Just to give the context to anyone reading this, the zero sum mindset that sir was talking about is definitely culturally penetrated. I'm a student who was preparing for a competitive exam the last two years. But the competition to clear this exam is really cut-throat and this particular exam is quite prestigious, in the sense that whoever clears this exam is considered extraordinary by the society.
Now I've never thought too much about all this, until i came across the harsh reality of this structure. I read about the people who couldn't crack this exam committing suicide. I instantly felt so bad about all this. Was this even worth it? If the society is creating so called toppers (I've been a topper in a particular exam too), then the same society is creating so called losers. And it's just a freaking exam. The number of losers getting created in this pathetic structure is more than the number of winners. In this competitive structure, it isn't that the "losers" choose to commit suicide, it's just a natural byproduct of this structure.
And as a "topper", I'm indirectly creating this stress on the "losers". This was my thought process. How can a human being ever live with this kind of an emotional baggage, of having impacted someone's life in a negative way like this. As i was talking to Kyle sir, i realized my folly. My intentions were good, but i was thinking about things which are beyond my control. Not just thinking, overthinking into doing nothing. It isn't my fault that this structure is the way it is. But it is totally my fault if i choose to do nothing. (Thanks, Kyle sir!)
This is where a belief that the world is a zero sum game was implanted in me. That if i had to win, the other person had to lose. At that point, i thought why i need to do anything at all. My parents have enough money to feed me and it wouldn't matter too much to anyone in general as such. (I am sharing in detail things I'm quite ashamed of now, just so that anyone reading this can avoid the toxic mindset i had developed) It was as though i wanted to protect myself from committing a sin. Because by nature i really like helping people. It was what got me interested in entrepreneurship in the first place. But the zero sum mindset (which i realize now is quite different from the truth) was not allowing me to do anything. I didn't wanna harm anyone, that too when i don't have a necessity. (It's alright to fulfill one's needs, but there's no end to greed. And is the satisfaction of one's greed at another's expense something that's worth even considering about? How can one have a good night sleep after having done such a thing?) This was my thought process.
And then the RAS did the rest. (The below information is taken from MJ's post.)
In neuroscience, your reticular activating system (RAS) is basically a form of confirmation bias to see what your brain has prioritized into its consciousness. For example, if you buy a new car, you'll suddenly see that car everywhere. If you believe X, your brain will start to see evidence of X being true.
All this while i was interpreting every new information wrt business in these terms itself.
And as Kyle sir mentioned in the show, the mainstream pushes this narrative more.
Somewhere, in my heart of hearts, this somehow didn't make sense. Was the world this cruel? What about my heroes, the entrepreneurs who impacted the world in ways unimaginable, are they also the cruel people i should be wary of? As i said, the RAS did the rest and i began noticing things that indicated a zero sum game. After i heard the episode, i realized what a nut I've been!
Now you must be thinking, didn't i try to question my beliefs? MJ advocates critical thinking. That's the reason, my friend, i reached out to the 2 people whose posts/podcasts have helped me immensely (Kyle sir and Andy Black sir)
Think of it like this, you can never describe what the sea is to a frog who lives in the well. The frog will imagine the sea to be as big as the well, max to max. So until we can get it into the sea, nothing else will work. I was doing the same mistake. I was thinking critically based on the same information i was exposed to all this time, and making the same observations again and again. So critical thinking, without exposure to new information (which is based on the reality) is a waste of time.
I now will share with you the power of the RAS.
Competition drives growth and is beneficial for the long term. Obvious? Simple?
The RAS didn't agree.
My thought process before listening to Kyle sir was like this (Again, observe how my RAS noticed zero sum games when there were none at all) : Even the competition is actually people just like me. People with families. "Competition" is just a word that just entices emotions like an adrenaline rush, but "people" changes everything. "Like me" - don't ask! I thought if i innovated the better product or service, that'd be the end. They'd be out of business. (Rings a bell? Zero sum?) Now i chuckle even thinking about this, but as i said, the RAS is very powerful and you can't break your conditioning if you're exposed to the same information again and again.
Oh ya Amogh? If there was no innovation, and thus a competition, and thus an improved standard of living for most of the people, could you even afford to think about all this, or would you be concerned about not being murdered by another person? ‍♂️
My god, my god. This was the binary thinking i was using. Ik most of you reading this are rofl but it's a fact that I've felt bad about this for almost an year now. (And please understand the real meaning of critical thinking from this post, if not anything else - it isn't that anyone is too dumb or something, it's a matter of right food for thought, which is based on how things actually are in reality)
This has been my experience with Kyle sir. For anyone still reading this, i hope this was worth your time and i want you to know that you're awesome!
Check out the Kyle Keegan Radio Show -
Subscribe to his yt channel. If this person got 10M subscribers, even then I'd call him underrated.
Beautifully corrected my wrong understanding. (Hmm, so this is what a productocracy feels like)
Signing off. Thank you.

Gregory Diehl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 10, 2016
Kalavan, Armenia
Very interesting conversation. I bought his book in paperback today and will post a short review here and on Amazon once I've finished it.
Glad you liked our discussion, Trevor. Did you ever finish reading Everyone Is an Entrepreneur?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For you Kak...

I loved that so much I shared it on the record shortest episode of KKRS with some additional commentary.

What do you guys think about sprinkling in some of these ultra short shows in addition to the typical long form shows I do?

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Started the promised leadership series today! I hope everyone enjoys! I had fun with it!
Excellent start to a series!!!

They key for me is that distinct difference between being a leader and doing the mechanics of the business. You need both. Leadership means having followers and it multiplies your ability to deliver 10x, 10,000x … and so on. Great job Kyle!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I had been back and forth about this for a little while, but I finally decided to rip the band aid off. I killed the text message community thing. There are a number of reasons why, but it wasn’t something I was using like I should/could, it didn’t end up being as interactive as I would have liked, and community has unacceptable terms of service for my long term investment in the platform. It’s going to be weird not saying the number on the show!

I’m shaking things up. Many of you know I’ve, for the most part, left Twitter as well. Those of you who have added me on Facebook, also know I don’t use it either.

I have decided to be the leader here instead of doing “what I’m supposed to do.” It may pay off, or it may slow growth. Whatever it does, it is authentic. You know what isn’t? Me on countless platforms that are owned by people I would almost consider civil war opposition.

So I changed the master description of the radio show…

Welcome to the Kyle Keegan Radio Show!

With over 300 episodes of KKRS, I broadcast the virtue of entrepreneurial ambition and mutual exchange. This is the radio show that embraces producing entrepreneurs and occasionally puts the prevailing woke, ESG (corporate communism) on trial.

My show is not the onepreneur show. My show is not the "4-Hour Workweek." I am about building businesses that are bigger than just me and living the life of a producer, leader and capitalist. Quite simply, it's the show I would want to listen to.

ATTENTION: We are no longer doing the social media dog and pony show. I will no longer cave to an expectation to “be” places on the internet. I will “be” where I want to “be.”

The only two places to interact with the show are Telegram and MJ DeMarco's Fastlane Forum. Unlike the “hustle bro” crowd of endless scattered “content.” I am not going to ask listeners to follow me all over the internet. You’re welcome.

I have a podcast, a website, a Telegram, and an active presence on the best entrepreneurship forum on the internet. That's enough.

I would rather spend time on these platforms with excellence than spending hours being the product of some communist’s business.

Tomorrow, part two of the leadership series will publish! “Leaders Inspire.” Hopefully this move was, at some level, “inspiring” to you!

Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Good call @Kak! I kind of sort of follow a handful of people that inspire me and it's absolutely obnoxious when they list 20 additional platforms I should follow them on. I think most people feel this way. Even if they don't, I think it's a good, focused move on your part.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Welcome to episode two of our leadership series!

In today's episode, I discuss a new leadership move I made with the radio show, I also discuss how leaders inspire others.

Competence, Responsibility, and TRUE Confidence. Lots of examples inside!

Fake it till you make it goes on trial!

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

In today's episode, I discuss a new leadership move I made with the radio show, I also discuss how leaders inspire others.

Can’t wait to listen to this on TikTok!

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

Great episode, I’m not sure why this one made it click for me with leadership. If you wanted to scale a business before the internet you had to have it, and if you refuse to learn it you limit yourself and most of your opportunities.

Also I think the book was about reframing things at work from an apology to a compliment.

Instead of

“I’m sorry for being late.”

Say

“Thank you for being patient.”

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Some of you may have noticed our new short clip episodes sprinkled in between the full featured episodes.

I have good news. Numbers are way up because of that, not just for the short episodes, but for the associated full length episodes as well. This is still nowhere near the potential of the show.

I also got an app that can turn them not just into YouTube videos like Spreaker does for me, but “shorts.” It’s cool because it calculates how many discovered the content because of a feed and how many listen because they follow.

Those the views (listens) of the shorts on YouTube are are 70-80 percent from the feed which means new audiences!

YouTube has never been a big deal for the show as we just produce audio content and the vast vast majority of people prefer to listen on a dedicated podcast app. Still, it was easy to auto syndicate to YouTube so I kept it out there for my 170 ish YouTube subscribers. I usually expected to see a paltry 10-30 YouTube “views” on a show.

These shorts blow past 100 in just a couple hours and just keep on going. With 70-80 percent new listeners, that’s definitely going to grow the main audience. I’m excited for this discovery!

Anyway, it took ditching Twitter to invest time in this new audio clipping thing. I spend dramatically less time on this than Twitter and it’s more effective in a big way.

I also recently paid Spreaker $500 to deliver a trailer about KKRS on other business podcasts, with ads enabled, in Spreaker’s network. It got a few thousand new impressions but not enough to justify an ongoing arrangement. The YouTube short thing is getting the word out in perhaps a more viral way, for free.

So expect to see 2-3 clips a week between full length shows with hard hitting bites from the most recent full show.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I also got an app that can turn them not just into YouTube videos like Spreaker does for me, but “shorts.” It’s cool because it calculates how many discovered the content because of a feed and how many listen because they follow.

This lends itself good to TikTok... I know you don't want to add social media, but it might be worth a try there to drop content there as well as YT.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I also got an app that can turn them not just into YouTube videos like Spreaker does for me, but “shorts.”

Which app? Can you share?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been posting short videos for the past couple of weeks to TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn, and a Facebook Page. The view count on TikTok and YouTube is amazing, and they're mostly new viewers.

I'm still figuring this out but I'm all-in on short videos. I posted to Twitter but it was tumbleweeds and not worth the effort.

My latest TikTok got over 1k views and I've only 37 followers. One of Zane's got 800k+ views and he's only posted 38 times.

Here's today's progress update:

And here's my thoughts on short videos:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/u23yUzkGP4c?feature=share

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This lends itself good to TikTok... I know you don't want to add social media, but it might be worth a try there to drop content there as well as YT.

I've been posting short videos for the past couple of weeks, to TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn, and a Facebook Page. The view count on TikTok and YouTube is amazing, and they're mostly new viewers. I'm still figuring this out but I'm all on on short videos. I posted to Twitter but it was tumbleweeds and not worth the effort.

My latest TikTok got over 1k views and I've only 37 followers. One of Zane's got 800k+ views and he's only posted 38 times.

Here's today's progress update:

And here's my thoughts on short videos:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/u23yUzkGP4c?feature=share

Done! But only for producing, not consuming. The app had me pegged and watching “interesting” stuff for 20 minutes before I watched an entire video of someone fry a $100 bill in a frying pan and I was like “WTF am I doing?”

www.tiktok.com/@keeganpod

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Done! But only for producing, not consuming. The app had me pegged and watching “interesting” stuff for 20 minutes before I watched an entire video of someone fry a $100 bill in a frying pan and I was like “WTF am I doing?”

Can you have dynamic captions on the video? A lot of people watch with sound off, and dynamic captions also grab and keep attention.

Here you go... unlisted on my YouTube channel, lightly edited and with dynamic captions.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/iwoqRG8EPh4?feature=share

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

I'm your 2nd follower :D

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Can you have dynamic captions on the video? A lot of people watch with sound off, and dynamic captions also grab and keep attention.

Here you go... unlisted on my YouTube channel, lightly edited and with dynamic captions.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/iwoqRG8EPh4?feature=share

You’re more than welcome to list it. I don’t care. Lol!

It looks like Headliner does do transcriptions so I’ll give that a shot. It shouldn’t take any more effort. Great idea bro!

Great video. I love how TikToks are so shareable because they're so short.

I'm curious how channels get away with posting extracts like this. How does that come under fair use?

I always thought it was fair game if you were going to use it in a context where you’re talking about it. Think about the news wars. Fox always plays CNN clips to bash them. If anyone was going to sue anyone I’m sure they would. I’m just spitballing though. I can’t believe FOX pays for rights to bash clips of CNNs hosts and vice versa.

I pull various audio clips and discuss them on the show every once in a while.

Clearly some people just post other people’s stuff and hide behind an anonymous account.

I'm your 2nd follower :D

Thank you Mike!

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Andy Black

Per the fair use discussion: Copyright Fair Use | Media Law 101 | PBS

It seems to be a very gray area of law, but this is the central point:

“Fair use is a legal doctrine that permits the unlicensed use of such works in limited circumstances. The doctrine is based on the principle that the public is free to use portions of copyrighted works without permission or payment for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, and research.”

It seems as though I have always followed the letter of the law on this, but because it is civil and not criminal. There’s still a slight exposure to someone taking issue directly with platforms.

It’s pretty clear to anyone that listens that my commentary dominates an episode of my show, even one that leans heavily on an article for instance, and can easily be determined as original content.

I’ve operated in this way for now 2+ years and never had a claim, strike, or so much as a pissed off email.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black

Per the fair use discussion: Copyright Fair Use | Media Law 101 | PBS

It seems to be a very gray area of law, but this is the central point:

“Fair use is a legal doctrine that permits the unlicensed use of such works in limited circumstances. The doctrine is based on the principle that the public is free to use portions of copyrighted works without permission or payment for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, and research.”

It seems as though I have always followed the letter of the law on this, but because it is civil and not criminal, there’s still a slight exposure.

It’s pretty clear to anyone that listens that my commentary dominates an episode of my show, even one that leans heavily on an article for instance, and can easily be determined as original content.
Yours is clearly original and/or a commentary on other people's content.

It's the YouTube/TikTok channels that just post extracts from other people's videos with no commentary or transformation that I don't understand. Are they just trying to avoid being seen, or are they genuinely fair use?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.