The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! I've Read UNSCRIPTED!

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Poomtaned

PARKED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 6, 2020
Thailand
After i've read MJ's 2 books, I can't wait to read his next book. He is for real!:thumbsup:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Deckstar

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 24, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
Hello there :smile:

First time post for me. I've read Unscripted. Obviously, I enjoyed it, otherwise I wouldn't be here ;)

I've made a list of my favorite quotes, mostly as a way for me to remind myself of my favorite parts of the book, but also to encourage the curiosity of anyone who might be reading this.

I really hope I'm not breaking any copyright or offending anyone with this long post (over 1000 words, mostly copy-paste) :happy: If I am, my sincerest apologies! Moderators: feel free to edit anything as you see fit.

Anyway, without further ado, here are my favorites:

———————————————————————

All of Chapter 4 (especially the first part, "The Paradigm is Shit". This section alone was worth the time & money for not making me feel like I was crazy and alone in the world.) But a special mention goes to:
  • “Trust your obese doctor.” Cracked me up with how on-point it was.

Chapter 7
  • “Ever tell your peers you got a new job? Notice the likes and congratulations. But tell them you quit your job to go after your dream? #Stinkface. Unfurl the umbrella for the hellstorm about to rain. You’ll be bludgeoned with dire warnings and caveats.
    Translation?
    SCRIPT divergence is unacceptable. You must be like us. You must stay within the lines of the nine-to-five model. Speak of anything outside the formula and watch the spaghetti fly. Watch friends drop. Watch loved ones doubt you, or worse, disown you."

Chapter 8
  • “As for success and/or financial wealth, think about the last three items you bought. Upon handing over your cash, did you ask the sales clerk if the inventor had a college degree?"
  • “The SCRIPT has armed virtual reality with all the latest psychological weaponry hoodwinking you into a state of entertained distraction—so entertainingly distracted that you share your addiction on Facebook."

Chapter 14
  • “The disheartening truth was clear: Wipe me from the face of the planet and no one outside family would care. I was a nobody. My two business degrees, a waste. My impressive college GPA, earned years earlier, didn’t mean jack. My dead-end job was just a merry-go-round keeping the bills paid until next month."
  • “Want to know why everyone is so miserable?
    The answer is simple: they’ve given up."

Chapter 15
  • “Studying success isn’t very helpful—we should be studying failures."
  • “One of the greatest travesties in self-improvement is this notion of the “silver bullet,” a cherished macro-event—or “that one secret” that is error-proof, foolproof, and failure-proof."
  • “Rewritten micro-processes cause real change, so the macro-process can follow.”

Chapter 16
  • “Believe that broke blogger’s advice that “do what you love” is the secret to success and you might fail twenty businesses."
  • “Flawed premises yield flawed results.
    Different results need different premises.”

Chapter 17
  • “While we are free to question and investigate our beliefs, few do. Instead, we seek to ratify them through a collective groupthink. "
  • “The American media is mostly controlled by six large corporations whereas thirty years ago it was diversified among several dozen, thus a handful of powerful executives control the media narrative for millions."

Chapter 18
  • “The shortcut scam is the idea that extraordinary results can be achieved by uncovering a secret bypass or a miracle weapon, and such can skirt the real hard work that actually creates the extraordinary results."
  • “Oh, and my favorite shortcut scheme? It’s pharmaceutical companies who aren’t in the business of curing disease; they’re in the business of obscuring symptoms."
  • “The truth is, many folks reading this book are looking for a shortcut. And after they discover there is no shortcut perched on a silver platter, and instead hard work and late nights are required, they’ll tweet to their seventeen followers that this book is crap."

Chapter 21
  • “Stop hunting money and start hunting value."

Chapter 22
  • “A careful reflection yields a humbling truth: Every single thing in your life was once invented and created by someone, or by someone executing on a corporate initiative. Yes, every comfort, convenience, and functionality you now enjoy was once someone’s idea. Someone’s work, dream, or passion. And now you benefit from that output."
  • “If you want to make millions, impact millions."

Chapter 25
  • “According to a BankRate.com survey, 27 percent of Americans have ZERO savings, while 76 percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck with enough savings to last only six months.49 Six months? The average American can’t save a multi-monthed emergency fund, let alone a multi-yeared retirement stretch. That means mimicking the ubiquitous Utopian Graph is impossible because too much time has already passed. The S&P 500 won’t grow $1,000 into $2 million in twenty years. And while the compound-interest blowhards advocate starting at any age, portfolios give zero shits."
  • “Starting over, reversing course, or switching gears is now impossible. Too much time has passed. When wealth now is traded for a promise of wealth later, you’re snipping body parts."
  • “Try and find ONE Forbes cover model whose fortune was created because they diligently invested with Wall Street like we retail investors, a.k.a. Iggy Investor, are instructed to do. Go ahead. I’ll wait.
    Welcome back. What did you find?
    Let me guess—nothing.
    Subtract the entrepreneurs, the inheritors, the sports and entertainment titans, the corporate insiders, and those that serve the financial industry over investing in it, and you’ll find exactly what I found: the stock market isn’t making investors wealthy; it’s making its servants wealthy."

Chapter 26
  • “Every one of us needs to stop hero-worshiping mortal beings and be our own heroes."

Chapter 29
  • “Passion didn’t pay the bills because passion didn’t hit a market need."
  • “See, it’s easy to love what you do when others do too."

Chapter 30
  • “Perhaps buried deep behind our “whys,” we all have the same generic meaning-and-purpose—to simply solve each other’s problems and make the world a better place."
  • “The great happiness secret is autonomy. Freedom. The ability to feel in control of your life, to stockpile options, mobility, and whatever else you self-determine and endorse."

Chapter 31
  • “You can fail 70 percent of the time and still be considered a legend. Heck, hit one home run at the right time and you can live legendary for life, even if you’re a career 100 hitter."

Chapter 34
  • “If you’re an entrepreneur scoping for ideas, the best are the hard ones because the difficulty represents the opportunity."

Chapter 35
  • “Even worse, I never heard about value, needs, or wants in any of my college business courses. Nope, instead we discussed marketing tactics like AIDA, the 4 Ps, and other textbook strategies designed to move merchandise. Product viability or needfulness was never discussed, let alone on the curriculum!"

Chapter 36
  • “The big irony of passive income is it’s anything but passive. Every single entrepreneur I know who enjoys passive income today exercised an extraordinary and committed process yesterday. Passivity? LOL."

Chapter 38
  • “Sure there are a lot of “best practices” and things you can learn, but the bottom line is, you won’t know what needs to be known until you get there. [...] You don’t know what you need to know until you know."

Chapter 40
  • “Nothing sucks more than spending months and thousands of dollars only to discover the market doesn’t want your product. Soft proof’s objective is to verify your concept/idea with the marketmind before spending a fortune in resources."

Chapter 43
  • “In my ten-minute pass of the $12,000 dresses and $42,000 chandeliers, the messaging of this “lifestyle” magazine was clear: you are inadequate and your inadequacy can be solved by spending everything you earn on outclassing the other guy.
    It made me think.
    While I can afford most of the overpriced garbage in this magazine, most people, even in North Scottsdale, cannot. Yet somebody is buying this stuff."

Chapter 46
  • “Negative influences or destructive people, no matter what their label (family, fraternity brother, coworker) shouldn't carry exemptions to excommunication."

Chapter 49
  • “Thank You
    The many hours you’ve spent reading this book mean a lot to me. Probably more than you know. Because time threads our human experience, neither renewable nor returnable, giving me yours is a heartfelt privilege. I thank you for trusting me with it."

RyanLPainter

Founder and Principal - Tuzo Strategies
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
I'm halfway through unscripted and really enjoying the insights and practical steps to freeing your mind from the script.

Reactions: tpf

tpf

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 8, 2016
UK (Lesta) & 日本
Just re-read unscripted and realised I should post here. A refresh always brings up insights, and I've been especially looking at the Fast Lane Entrepreneurship section, as I cover all the bases with a business idea...

And just in case yo read this MJ, I also love the infographics. The unscripted summary I use as a wallpaper. The change your identity one also had a huge impact. (And I also guess that right now the markets as the Titanic.)

MarkT525

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 16, 2020
I finished listening to this book too on Audible!

Its like you know its there but when its pointed out you feel like. "See? I thought so!"

Rwill

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 9, 2019
canada
I've just finished the book. Again, it doesn't disappoint!

JoshEvola

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 12, 2020
St. Louis, Missouri
After I finished TMF I immediately started reading the second book and do not regret it, I only have a few more chapters left the nook is absolutely eye opening

Jakeit03

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 1, 2019
Portsmouth, UK
Read the first half, then had to audio book the rest due to a new job, FTE is slowly starting to set in stone.
Going to re study with what little time I get and start putting ideas into action. Lang may yer lum reek!

mon_fi

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 3, 2020
Brussels
The park is empty, the birds are singing as I read ":)", the last word of Unscripted.

Honestly, I was afraid to read it because I thought it'd be similar to TMF but when I caught myself stressing over graduate programs I had applied to, I thought I needed a refresher on how I had once thought I could be a millionaire, and so I opened it. It is actually a total different book. While TMF is a business book, Unscripted is a lifestyle philosophy book. It goes further than "just" building a business. I'd say both books are complimentary eventually, and I'd recommend to read both. Unscripted does not spend as much time explaining the slowlanes which is always interesting to learn.
There is however a big problem: unscripted (like tmf) gets you overly excited about entrepreneurship, and emotions are like the stock market: if it goes up, it'll go down. That's when you get started with your company that you realize it is not gonna be as easy as you thought while reading the book. And so you whether a. Give up b. Persevere c. Read the book a second time.

So i'm happy you wrote it and glad I've read it, thank you for your work. Is there any way we could find your list of recommended books? I imagine there is a thread about that topic and if not, let's create one!

Cheers :)

Monfi

Michikon

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 13, 2020
Zambia
I have read the book. Great book and had become my reference book

huher

PARKED
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 3, 2020
tunisia
I've been amazed impressed entertained enlightened by Unscripted. all i can say is that i love this manuscript of success i know i have to read it again several times.

bkwrm26

PARKED
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 19, 2020
Houston
I read/listened to the book! currently reading a second time now.

4EverGrowing

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 3, 2020
Denver, CO
I listened to this twice, I actually found this book before I found the millionaire fastlane, then after listening to that, came back and listened to this again. I enjoyed hearing the growth and differences between younger and older MJ.

Frinys

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 28, 2019
I've finished both Unscripted and The Millionaire Fastlane. I accidentally stumbled upon this forum and bought a copy of Unscripted. The first thing I did after I finished it was to buy two copies of Millionaire Fastlane (I'm planning to give one as a gift - I just haven't decided on to who yet). Both books are amazing!

If your life is a beef and the fastlane is a perfectly cooked one, then The Millionaire Fastlane is the marinade. Unscripted, on the other hand, is the set of instructions, skills, and mindset that can be applied to cook the marinaded beef perfectly!

The book provides so much value that I have it at my work desk at all times. It reminds me to stay on track, not give up, and keep my speed at maximum velocity. It's a life-changer.

Funnul

PARKED
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 20, 2020
Hong Kong
I've read Unscripted.

Biggest takeaway:
Derive your passion in adding VALUE to the market (not what you want)
Start with a smile, help someone else, make someone's day.

Travel Base

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 19, 2020
europe
I've read it some time ago, just like TMF, but it's due a reread - slotted for April, after I refresh TMF. Always an inspiration, lots of opportunities to reflect and really think about how we live our life and what life and success mean to us.

stein79

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 22, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Finally finished Unscripted. I started it awhile ago and had to bear down and make it a goal to finish this month.
I think on a subconscious level, I was putting off finishing it because then I wouldn't have an excuse to enter the fastlane. Since finishing it, I've re-read a few chapters and with the current state of the US economy, I am devoting time daily to starting an "essential" business.
I am glad to have found these books and the forum, they are a great eye-opener and I've since been sharing them with friends/family. Now, it's on me to execute.

BlackLands

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 5, 2019
I've finished to read Unscripted english version some months ago, in this period has come out to the Italian version that I will give to my brother. Thanks MJ, I'll never finish thanking you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Advanced Upwork Proposals II IS FINALLY LIVE! Here's a look at what's inside: Improved YOU...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In its infancy, we...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock