The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

IT consulting business - Looking for courses/resources/coaching

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

NowOrNever

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am starting a B2B consulting company in the IT space (mostly SaaS companies) and I am looking for a great course on everything around starting a consulting firm (pricing best practices, contracts, marketing, how to present services etc.) servicing clients that make at least 2-3 Mio. of annual revenue. I have over a decade of industry knowledge and the necessary skills but I am missing the business side of the house.

All the courses that I found so far are these "Bro courses" that teach you how to make a course yourself or that teach you how to market SEO to "dentist, plumbers, gyms" etc. Anything else "serious" and "legit" out there? The closest to what I want to do would be something like starting a law firm in a particular niche. Any recommendations?

I know I can learn most of this by myself but I want to save time and focus on the things that I am good at.

Thank you and feel free to send me a DM as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NowOrNever

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 19, 2020
Have you sold any consulting yet?
Not really. I am currently still employed and want to test the waters first. But I don't know what the best way to do that would be. I have a long list of potential clients. But do I just reach out to them without knowing what e.g. my rates would be? Do people expect some kind of "presentation material" about my service offerings? Should I have a (at least a simple) website first? These are some of the questions that I currently have... I mean, I think I know what the "minimum viable product"-kind of things could be to start reaching out. But at the same time I don't want to screw this up by going out with a half-baked approach.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I am starting a B2B consulting company in the IT space (mostly SaaS companies)
Be careful defining your niche before you've got going. Maybe it won't be SaaS companies?

am looking for a great course on everything around starting a consulting firm
Just start.

do I just reach out to them without knowing what e.g. my rates would be?
Yes.

Do people expect some kind of "presentation material" about my service offerings?
No.

Should I have a (at least a simple) website first?
No.

I've been doing digital marketing since 2009 and I only created a simple website recently.
Even then it's more like a Linktr.ee type of "site": AndyBlack.net

Get your LinkedIn profile up to date and optimised.

Connect with people you've already worked with and people you already know.
Have a chat (via DM and maybe via Zoom or face-to-face).

Here's some threads that might help:

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
Not really. I am currently still employed and want to test the waters first. But I don't know what the best way to do that would be. I have a long list of potential clients. But do I just reach out to them without knowing what e.g. my rates would be? Do people expect some kind of "presentation material" about my service offerings? Should I have a (at least a simple) website first? These are some of the questions that I currently have... I mean, I think I know what the "minimum viable product"-kind of things could be to start reaching out. But at the same time I don't want to screw this up by going out with a half-baked approach.
Those things are "spending" money. Receive money first. Set those things up when they become sticking points. Don't create roadblocks that aren't there yet.

One outreach method I've used: hit up viable prospects in your network and say "Hey, I have an idea to offer consulting for X industry to solve Y problem leveraging my experience doing Z... Could I interview you to see if this is a viable service offering?"

Get on a call, dig in to figure out what problems they have that you are uniquely suited to solve. Once you find it, ask, "So, if I could solve that problem for you, what would it be worth to you?"

They'll give you a number, now you have rough pricing..

"Ok, if I go back to the drawing board, and come back with a solution next week, can I call you back to pitch it?"

Then.. "Know anyone else who I could help with this?"

NowOrNever

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 19, 2020
Hey...@Andy Black & @BigRomeDawg

You both gave some incredible advice...It feels a little bit like getting slapped in the face...which is exactly what I needed. I am still "digesting" but I think you two identified quickly where I was going. Example...I started a todo-list a couple of days ago. Until today there were more than 20 todos on that list (i.e. 20+ roadblocks)..I have reduced the list to 3 items after reading your answers, all 3 are about reaching out to people. I will 100% use the approach that you suggested, @BigRomeDawg.

There is one thing I do want to mention though. I want to be honest: Why do I try to prepare so much have everything in perfect order before taking action? Because I am terribly afraid. Afraid of:

1) Putting myself out there and being judged by others (because I judge others...ugh...have to stop that immediately)
2) Just change overall (I am very comfortable at the moment!)
3) Rejection (It will come, I will get 10 "No" out of 10 at the beginning...but I guess, I will have to keep going)
4) Failing (or even worse making a huge mistake and putting my day job at risk)

So, your advice is spot on. But I have to admit it is going to be a daily battle against myself and my inner programming.
Will keep you updated. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is what I recommend people do when getting started or when their back's against a wall. It's very similar to @BigRomeDawg 's advice.

Also, I suggest watching this call I had with @xShepherdx. I don't get rejected. It's not possible because I'm not trying to sell anything.

Go through the first row of links in my signature and report back. Sooo many people are afraid to start because they don't think they can add value that I had to create those threads and link to them almost daily.

In my humble opinion, you've made it your goal to "Create an IT Consultancy" and that's intimidating you. Make it your goal to connect with and help people and see how much less intimidating that is. And how much more progress you'll make.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.