The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this Copyright Infringement? (advice needed)

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
In a book I'm getting ready to publish as a Kindle eBook on Amazon, I discuss 2 YouTube videos.

To clarify, I specifically send the reader to search for the video on YouTube, and then I discuss specific details about the video. I've searched on Google, and all I'm finding is "how to create a citation for YouTube videos". Obviously I'll cite the video, since it's not mine and I didn't make it. But is this all I need? Is there any legal issue with my discussing the video and using it as a teaching tool within the book? The book is for athletes, and I send readers to a video of a world record holding athlete performing an athletic movement.

Much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
Whilst I'm no expert - it doesn't sound to me like a copyright problem - after all, a film critic can publish their thoughts on a film they have no ownership of. The first concern that flashed into my mind though was - what if they delete the video? As you are not hosting it (or the owner of the youtube account) you have no control over whether part of your book is rendered somewhat unusable.

Is it a famous clip/something that several youtube users host versions of?
Can readers get enough value from your description, or do they have to see it?

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Whilst I'm no expert - it doesn't sound to me like a copyright problem - after all, a film critic can publish their thoughts on a film they have no ownership of. The first concern that flashed into my mind though was - what if they delete the video? As you are not hosting it (or the owner of the youtube account) you have no control over whether part of your book is rendered somewhat unusable.

Is it a famous clip/something that several youtube users host versions of?
Can readers get enough value from your description, or do they have to see it?

I appreciate the thoughts.

There are several YouTube users hosting it, plus it would be a quick, easy edit...it wouldn't ruin the entire book.

Thanks!

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
As a former academic versed in scholarly practices, I echo @Mutant in saying that, by citing the video owner and not republishing the video in its entirety within your eBook, you're well within what's called "acceptable use" of copyrighted material.

Best wishes with your publication!

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
I appreciate the thoughts.

There are several YouTube users hosting it, plus it would be a quick, easy edit...it wouldn't ruin the entire book.

Thanks!

Cool, so it sounds like you could reference/credit a particular video, but tell them what to search for should that clip become unavailable e.g.

Go to
View: https://youtu.be/xjejTQdK5OI
or search "heather dorniden race"

- which brings up multiple versions of the same clip.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
Cool, so it sounds like you could reference/credit a particular video, but tell them what to search for should that clip become unavailable e.g.

Go to

:rofl:
Ok, so I've tried to edit that to just show the url as I intended, but I guess I just learnt something about how this forum works! I'm sure you get my point :smuggy:

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
As a former academic versed in scholarly practices, I echo @Mutant in saying that, by citing the video owner and not republishing the video in its entirety within your eBook, you're well within what's called "acceptable use" of copyrighted material.

Best wishes with your publication!

Very good! Thank you!

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio

Go to

Heather Dorniden! I love that video.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.