The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Is this Copyright Infringement? (advice needed)

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
In a book I'm getting ready to publish as a Kindle eBook on Amazon, I discuss 2 YouTube videos.

To clarify, I specifically send the reader to search for the video on YouTube, and then I discuss specific details about the video. I've searched on Google, and all I'm finding is "how to create a citation for YouTube videos". Obviously I'll cite the video, since it's not mine and I didn't make it. But is this all I need? Is there any legal issue with my discussing the video and using it as a teaching tool within the book? The book is for athletes, and I send readers to a video of a world record holding athlete performing an athletic movement.

Much appreciated.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 8, 2018
London
Whilst I'm no expert - it doesn't sound to me like a copyright problem - after all, a film critic can publish their thoughts on a film they have no ownership of. The first concern that flashed into my mind though was - what if they delete the video? As you are not hosting it (or the owner of the youtube account) you have no control over whether part of your book is rendered somewhat unusable.

Is it a famous clip/something that several youtube users host versions of?
Can readers get enough value from your description, or do they have to see it?

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Whilst I'm no expert - it doesn't sound to me like a copyright problem - after all, a film critic can publish their thoughts on a film they have no ownership of. The first concern that flashed into my mind though was - what if they delete the video? As you are not hosting it (or the owner of the youtube account) you have no control over whether part of your book is rendered somewhat unusable.

Is it a famous clip/something that several youtube users host versions of?
Can readers get enough value from your description, or do they have to see it?

I appreciate the thoughts.

There are several YouTube users hosting it, plus it would be a quick, easy edit...it wouldn't ruin the entire book.

Thanks!

Readerly

Yes and
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
As a former academic versed in scholarly practices, I echo @Mutant in saying that, by citing the video owner and not republishing the video in its entirety within your eBook, you're well within what's called "acceptable use" of copyrighted material.

Best wishes with your publication!

Mutant

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 8, 2018
London
I appreciate the thoughts.

There are several YouTube users hosting it, plus it would be a quick, easy edit...it wouldn't ruin the entire book.

Thanks!

Cool, so it sounds like you could reference/credit a particular video, but tell them what to search for should that clip become unavailable e.g.

Go to
View: https://youtu.be/xjejTQdK5OI
or search "heather dorniden race"

- which brings up multiple versions of the same clip.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 8, 2018
London
Cool, so it sounds like you could reference/credit a particular video, but tell them what to search for should that clip become unavailable e.g.

Go to

:rofl:
Ok, so I've tried to edit that to just show the url as I intended, but I guess I just learnt something about how this forum works! I'm sure you get my point :smuggy:

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
As a former academic versed in scholarly practices, I echo @Mutant in saying that, by citing the video owner and not republishing the video in its entirety within your eBook, you're well within what's called "acceptable use" of copyrighted material.

Best wishes with your publication!

Very good! Thank you!

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio

Go to

Heather Dorniden! I love that video.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Read the free book, some excellent insights. I also did the website quiz and I did a visual on a...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom