The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is reading pirated books ethical?

CommanderTwig

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 2, 2022
So, for the past couple of years, I have been reading pirated books from the internet, and have learned a lot from them. But last year, my parents started stealing electricity, (cuz it's very easy to steal electricity in India). So I am thinking to stop them from doing so. But I think that first I should change myself. I have been thinking about it a lot. That's why I was wanting some advice, from you guys.
I think it is fine as long as you buy them when you retire

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BAUCE

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jun 21, 2021
Damn man,

Guess we’re all thieves then because I’m sure like a very very large population of the planet you and a lot of people on this thread and those who liked your post too all engaged in illegally downloading music/ streaming music at some point in your lives.

Those artists spending months sometimes years putting albums together, putting their heart and soul into it for most of us on this very forum to just download or rip it from a friends cd back kn the day.

For the record MJ, I’ve bought all your books before I listened to them.

maybe I have put my heart and soul into something for at least 3 years, maybe I haven’t. Maybe I still hold the same view after putting in my effort on some project for that amount of time.

Shake your head in judgement all you like

It just seems funny to me that a lot of people are throwing stones when they live in a glass house

“I hope someday you pour 3 years of your life into some project, only to have someone steal it. And then hear, "Meh, it hurts no one."

MJ I just hope your future continues to be fruitful and that you continue to provide value because I’ve learned a few things from you so far and even today still.

Thanks
bold-strategy-jason-bateman.gif

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
I download all my ebooks, pay nothing. If I like them I will buy them for my library. It's not unethical, it's the way the internet has always been working, sharing files, everyone downloads or has already used copyrighted files from the web, no one is a saint in this. The other day I couldn't preview a book because the author only had his book available in paperback, smart! I had to buy it first. I think it becomes unethical if you start enjoying an author content and don't support him afterwards.
You could've just said "I'm a thief with no shame" and spared me from reading this paragraph. And not everyone does what you do. Don't include us all.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
BTW, I would had never been part of this community if I had not previously downloaded MJ's book. Previewing my books before buying them is critical. To me it's just not pratical to go to a library.
So have you gone back and purchased MJ's books now that you are a part of the community?

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I know @Kak said that he prefers to get all of his books from a local public library or, better yet, a public school library!

He also said if you can't walk to the local library, taking a city bus is an excellent and efficient way to get to the public library :smile2:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I know @Kak said that he prefers to get all of his books from a local public library or, better yet, a public school library!

He also said if you can't walk to the local library, taking a city bus is an excellent and efficient way to get to the public library :smile2:
:rofl:

Oh boy.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
BTW, I would had never been part of this community if I had not previously downloaded MJ's book. Previewing my books before buying them is critical. To me it's just not pratical to go to a library.

Now there's online libraries-- I think I still keep my Scribd subscription although I have not read anything
there for some time.

But honestly, there is a fine line between free books on pirated sites...and library books?

What gives libraries (online ones especially) better legitimacy than pirated sites?
I mean-- folks do share reading material around more than ever.

Once in a while I do notice my old student docs websites like StuDocu and CourseHero having business books dropped in even though they are supposed to host past year assignments and lecture notes. And there is Telegram too.

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
So have you gone back and purchased MJ's books now that you are a part of the community?
Yes I have. Surprised?

Have you bought all the copyrighted content that you've downloaded from the internet?

"Oh, don't include us all." "Oh, you're a liar without shame."

BS!

People share digital content freely on the web, get used to it, it's the wonder of the internet. The day it becomes too hard there will be a crypto web to freely share, if there isn't one already.

I see a lot of hyprocrisy and double standards in this thread. Like they've never used avatars of copyrighted materials and never heard music on YouTube without ever buying those musicians albums!

Last edited:

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
Yes, local library's online resources are great. Mine uses the app Libby and from it, you can borrow their Kindle books and audiobooks which you can read on a kindle or your phone or a computer - saving you a trip to the library and all the hassle of returning books/late fees and all the books are free with no guilt of stealing

To the people who say books don't cost much, yes, it's just going to be $10 or $15 for one book. But yearly, books cost $1-10k a year easily if you read a lot. I could spend $10k on books. Which may be a drop in the bucket depending on your income/budget but it's still not $10 it's $1,500/year for a book buying habit twice a week buying one audiobook, one book to read

Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Yes I have. Surprised?

Have you bought all the copyrighted content that you've downloaded from the internet?

"Oh, don't include us all." "Oh, you're a liar without shame."

BS!

People share digital content freely on the web, get used to it, it's the wonder of the internet. The day it becomes too hard there will be a crypto web to freely share, if there isn't one already.

I see a lot of hyprocrisy and double standards in this thread. Like they've never used avatars of copyrighted materials and never heard music on YouTube without ever buying those musicians albums!
A lot of hypocrisy huh? Bruno makes some solid points here. Double standards suck. Hypocrites shouldn't even chime into this thread.

So I'll take one of those coupon codes for a free version of whatever @Bruno Calisso is selling. I promise to pay for it later when I feel I've made it.

And it would be even better if Bruno himself doesn't create the coupon code. Like can someone hack him and force him to give me some of his stuff for free? How about all his stuff? That's the way the internet works, right? Suck it up Bruno, no point in fighting it.

Someone install some ransonware on his computer while we're at it. Because if crime is happening on the internet, Bruno thinks it's a-ok. It's just the way it works, get used to it.

I just wouldn't want Bruno to be one of those awful hypocrites he's ranting about. He believes in "sharing". Sharing is caring Bruno.

Bruno, be a good boy and tell us your website so we can all go claim our free stuff. Don't worry bro, we're good for it. We'll pay you later.

I mean, as long as your stuff is actually good.

If your stuff sucks, then we deserve to try it out for free, but you definitely don't deserve to get paid.

It's a wonder of the internet.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
I can't believe this thread has 40 comments already.

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
You could've just said "I'm a thief with no shame" and spared me from reading this paragraph. And not everyone does what you do. Don't include us all.

A lot of hypocrisy huh? Bruno makes some solid points here. Double standards suck. Hypocrites shouldn't even chime into this thread.

So I'll take one of those coupon codes for a free version of whatever @Bruno Calisso is selling. I promise to pay for it later when I feel I've made it.

And it would be even better if Bruno himself doesn't create the coupon code. Like can someone hack him and force him to give me some of his stuff for free? How about all his stuff? That's the way the internet works, right? Suck it up Bruno, no point in fighting it.

Someone install some ransonware on his computer while we're at it. Because if crime is happening on the internet, Bruno thinks it's a-ok. It's just the way it works, get used to it.

I just wouldn't want Bruno to be one of those awful hypocrites he's ranting about. He believes in "sharing". Sharing is caring Bruno.

Bruno, be a good boy and tell us your website so we can all go claim our free stuff. Don't worry bro, we're good for it. We'll pay you later.

I mean, as long as your stuff is actually good.

If your stuff sucks, then we deserve to try it out for free, but you definitely don't deserve to get paid.

It's a wonder of the internet.
You really have a fertile imagination, so much talk for nothing, just to find a way to throw a reverse retoric on me.

As I have said, you are hypocrites, you do the same when you hear music on YouTube and don't buy the album, oh and the Ad royalities doesn't coun't as a way of YOU supporting the artist.

I am not defending piracy, but that's how the internet works, your mom will share pdfs with her friend. You don't have to like it, swallow it bitterly because it will keep happening and people are straight forward and don't give a sh*t about your "ethics". This world is for wolves, not puppies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.