The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it possible to gain weight / mass with just US$50 per month?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I'm currently trying to gain mass and bulk (no need for pure muscles), and I only have about US$50 per month. The rest of my salary, I'm spending it on my hustle and US$50 is the most I can fork out.

I'm currently on mass gainers but it's really expensive (costs me US$150+ for 2 tubs of 5 LBs powder monthly), and that $ can be spent on my hustle. Even protein powders are expensive cos' I still have to buy other ingredients to mix in with the powder (for caloric surplus) and the costs end up the same as the mass gainers.

Anyone tried successfully to gain weight on an extremely tight budget? Even using fast food to gain weight is expensive! lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KrzyszWawrzyniak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2017
Great Britain
Before you ask you should seriously think if you really need and want to gain mass, or just because that's what everybody is doing and you want to be as cool as everybody else?
The fact that you're investing money in protein powders and other diet supplements makes me believe that you didn't make a lot of research about getting weight and this is why you're spending money on unnecessary supplementation.

Ascension

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
If you want to gain weight protein powder isn't your best option.
Protein is extremely satiating and excess protein will make it hard for you to get the necessary calories in. Plus it's pretty much impossible not to get enough protein, especially in a calory surplus.

Your best budget options would be bulk packages of rice, beans, potatoes, grains etc. They are insanely cheap and you can get entire meals for a couple of cents.
Oh and stay away from the junk food, not only is it not that cheap to begin with, but it's not worth it to ruin your health over a couple pounds of extra bodyweight

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
The cheapest high protein foods are stuff like lentils, beans, quinoa and tofu. Buy in bulk and there are a million things you can do with them recipe wise.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Chili. Peanut butter.

When I was in college I'd just eat a lot of chili and peanut butter. Seriously. Get a jar of peanut butter. Get a big spoon. Sit down and start plowing. Slowly get used to injecting calories. A tablespoon of peanut butter is about 100 calories. Try to eat like 10 table spoons in a day.

Chili I ate was something like this:

513KXeyX-9L.jpg

Dirt cheap to buy. You warm it up in the microwave and stuff your face.

Also replace your drinks with calories. Maybe milk. I replaced with weight gainer, but you're on more of a budget.

I bulked 30 pounds in a semester. I got the science down so well that my friends started calling me "tubby" and "lardass".

Another tip: adopt the "see food diet". When you see food, eat it.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
@AgainstAllOdds

No idea how I forgot peanut butter. Chili is a great choice for bulking as well, but for your kidneys sake I would recommend making a big batch and freezing left overs. Those cans are loaded with sodium.

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
(1) Eat a spoon of peanut butter every 30 minutes in addition to your regular meals. If that’s not working, make a shake before bed with whole milk, protein, ice cream, nuts, anything that adds more calories. Don’t worry too much about eating clean.
(2) watch the scale go up

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Another option is to buy a crockpot and just throw in 5lb hunks of chuck roast.

Toss the roast in for 8 hours and you end up with almost 3kcal for 20 bucks. Pretty healthy calories and considering its 80% protein this is cheap.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Learn how to make more money.

There are 100s of hustles on here where you could make that money easy.

Read @SinisterLex upwork threads.

Then go have a steak sandwich.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
For the love of God don't eat those "mass gainer" powders! Have you even read the ingredients? It is essentially just powdered high fructose corn syrup. That is NOT what you want to be putting in your body.

Get a crock pot and buy the cheapest cuts of meat you can find. Google some barbacoa or crock pot recipes and simmer that stuff on low for 8 hours and it will be fantastic.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
For the love of God don't eat those "mass gainer" powders! Have you even read the ingredients? It is essentially just powdered high fructose corn syrup. That is NOT what you want to be putting in your body.

Get a crock pot and buy the cheapest cuts of meat you can find. Google some barbacoa or crock pot recipes and simmer that stuff on low for 8 hours and it will be fantastic.

There are mass gainers that are not loaded with artificial sugars, but you won't find them in the clearance aisle.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Plus it's pretty much impossible not to get enough protein, especially in a calory surplus.

Personally I found it nearly impossible when I was trying to hit the recommended 0.75 - 1g per lb body weight recommendation you see everywhere.

I found that at 170 lbs, hitting 170 grams of protein is damn rough.

I'd eat 3 eggs for breakfast, a protein shake after workout, a can of sardines with soba noodles for lunch, some kind of meat for dinner, snack on greek yogurt, and I'd still barely be pushing 100-120 g of protein.

It's just a lot of damn food and while it was okay the first day or so, it gets old really quickly. I felt like I was structuring my entire day around stuffing my face. I'm sure it becomes a habit quickly enough and if getting "huge" was my only goal I'm sure it's not too bad but as someone who was just trying to gain a bit of muscle as one of many aspects of my life it was pretty hard.

Learn how to make more money.

There are 100s of hustles on here where you could make that money easy.

Yeah, I have to agree with this the most though. I made $4-500 USD in about 4-5 hours worth of work on a copy job recently on upwork. Do this ONCE per month and you've covered your eating bill.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Personally I found it nearly impossible when I was trying to hit the recommended 0.75 - 1g per lb body weight recommendation you see everywhere.

I found that at 170 lbs, hitting 170 grams of protein is damn rough.

I'd eat 3 eggs for breakfast, a protein shake after workout, a can of sardines with soba noodles for lunch, some kind of meat for dinner, snack on greek yogurt, and I'd still barely be pushing 100-120 g of protein.

It's just a lot of damn food and while it was okay the first day or so, it gets old really quickly. I felt like I was structuring my entire day around stuffing my face. I'm sure it becomes a habit quickly enough and if getting "huge" was my only goal I'm sure it's not too bad but as someone who was just trying to gain a bit of muscle as one of many aspects of my life it was pretty hard.

Yeah, I have to agree with this the most though. I made $4-500 USD in about 4-5 hours worth of work on a copy job recently on upwork. Do this ONCE per month and you've covered your eating bill.

Its supposed to be 0.75 gr of protein per lb of LEAN body mass, not total weight. Subtract fat and bone weight and you are looking at a significsntly lower number.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Its supposed to be 0.75 gr of protein per lb of LEAN body mass, not total weight. Subtract fat and bone weight and you are looking at a significsntly lower number.

Huh, somehow this is the first I've heard it described this way. Good to know.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Huh, somehow this is the first I've heard it described this way. Good to know.

This changes if you are taking any special vitamins, in which case the extra protein may be needed.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I do strength training 3-6 days a week (sometimes mix in some bodybuilding stuff) and just eat what I need. I don't bother with powders or any of that noise and have gained 12kg the past year. It's not a lot sure, but my strength has shot way up and to me that's more useful than "big."

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
If you want to gain weight protein powder isn't your best option.
Protein is extremely satiating and excess protein will make it hard for you to get the necessary calories in. Plus it's pretty much impossible not to get enough protein, especially in a calory surplus.

Your best budget options would be bulk packages of rice, beans, potatoes, grains etc. They are insanely cheap and you can get entire meals for a couple of cents.
Oh and stay away from the junk food, not only is it not that cheap to begin with, but it's not worth it to ruin your health over a couple pounds of extra bodyweight

It depends on the goal. If simply gaining weight is, then I agree.

Whey protein is good for encouraging muscle growth but only if you lift weights regularly, which in effect will make you gain weight. I buy mine in 5lbs bags from Costco when they go on sale and they last months.

Kodiak Power Cakes are good to.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
The cheapest high protein foods are stuff like lentils, beans, quinoa and tofu. Buy in bulk and there are a million things you can do with them recipe wise.

This guy knows what's up. To expand:

You don't need mass gainer. You can load up on all these staples for under $50 and they will last you multiple months.

Grains:
RICE
QUINOA

Protein:
BEANS
LENTILS
TOFU

Carbs:
POTATOS
OATS

Produce:
BANANAS call grocers, preferably smaller local ones, they might sell flats of ripe bananas for huge discounts. Freeze them so they don't go bad, use in smoothies. I've paid $10 for a 30 pound flat before. (that's 0.30/lbs, usually .50-.90/lbs)
Go to costco and get mondo bags of spinach and broccoli. Eat veggies with every meal!!!

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
More info please.

You want to gain weight, but it doesn't have to be muscle. What up with that?

$50 per month. Is that your total food budget, or your packing on the flab budget?

What specifically are you trying to accomplish?

Kinematic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jul 31, 2016
Dallas, TX
Individual needs will vary, and only you can say how many calories you need to gain weight, but I'll go through what I use to bulk and cut and the cost.

Speaking of cost, $50 per month which is ~$1.65 per day. That is no bulking budget, $50 per month is a survival budget!

My diet with costs for a 3000 calorie meal plan:

**If anyone can show me how to post as a table I can insert the individual costs**

Breakfast:
  • Greek yogurt, (227g)
  • Protein powder, (1 scoop)
  • Oats (old fashioned), (80g)
  • Water (to soften oats overnight) (100g)
Lunch:
  • Baked chicken (5oz)
  • Rice (157g uncooked)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese (42g)
  • Pretzel slider bun (from costco) (1 bun)
Dinner:
  • Sweet potato (300g)
  • Eggs (4)
  • Cheese stick (1)
  • Butter (16g)
  • Toast (3 slices)
  • Raspberry preserves (20g)
This works out to under $7 per day.

For macros this yields:
  • Protein: 180g
  • Fats: 80g
  • Carbs: 397g

I will note that the cost can be lowered with some planning and buying cheaper ingredients, but the costs are from my local grocery store I frequent.

Also, I know some people will comment about the lack of fruits and veggies, I didn't include any veggies since most I consider to be negligible calories. As for fruits, you could lower the rice a little to fit an apple or orange in there.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Thanks for all the replies here!

More info please. You want to gain weight, but it doesn't have to be muscle. What up with that?
$50 per month. Is that your total food budget, or your packing on the flab budget?
What specifically are you trying to accomplish?

1) Actually, I want to get bigger and get a dad-bod sort of look.
1100_story_Dad_Bod_Craze.jpg

Basically, gain the size like you see in above pic, without the need for muscle definition or 6 packs.
This way, I'll fill out my clothes better and look better overall instead of looking scrawny (my weight is healthy but my bodybuild / frame is similar to a 14 year old girl if you will).
US$50 is the money for spending on additional food to gain mass, not the total food budget.

Individual needs will vary, and only you can say how many calories you need to gain weight, but I'll go through what I use to bulk and cut and the cost.
Speaking of cost, $50 per month which is ~$1.65 per day. That is no bulking budget, $50 per month is a survival budget!
My diet with costs for a 3000 calorie meal plan:
**If anyone can show me how to post as a table I can insert the individual costs**

Nope, US$50 is additional on top of my 3 meals a day. :)

Btw, does anyone have experience with protein shake turning sour?
I blend the protein shake in the morning and when I drink the remaining at night (about 14 hrs later), it's sour as hell.

Dylan in Africa

Worldwide Educator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 25, 2017
Planet Earth
does anyone have experience with protein shake turning sour?
I blend the protein shake in the morning and when I drink the remaining at night (about 14 hrs later), it's sour as hell.
If I leave whey protein mixed with some sort of liquid (water, milk, etc.) out for any prolonged period of time, it will develop a stench. This process seems to accelerate if I leave the blender bottle in a warm area (such as my car in the sun).

The smell is bad enough to keep me from wanting to drink anything, so I can't tell you if it tastes sour (though it sure smells like it would be). I'd recommend mixing, drinking on the spot, and then washing out any containers as soon as possible, but if that's not possible, then I imagine keeping the shake refrigerated would help as well.

LeonardoB

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
May 31, 2017
Australia
Do you currently do any form of physical training ?

If you just want to "stuff your face" with anything to put on "size" then you will have more health related concerns than your concerns of looking like a 14 year old girl...

I recommend focus on strength training upto 3x a week (you don't have to go all crazy and get a gym membership or start thinking about squats, deadlifts etc... body weight exercise is enough - pull ups, dips, sit ups, push ups etc..)

I would also incorporate about 2 days of cardio - simple 2-3km jog, just to keep your cardiovascular system in good shape and help with digestion and absorption of all the food you will be consuming.

As for food to put on size all you basically need is to eat more protein (animal and plant sources).

Lots of complex "starchy" carbohydrates - (sweet potato, white potato, all types of beans/lentils.

Good source of fats - nuts, avocados

Try consume all your carbohydrate, protein and fat meals during the times you are most active (most likely during the day)

As your schedule winds down and activity levels minimise, so should your consumption of additional carbs.

Best meals to eat during inactivity would be higher protein portions with mixed vegetables.

OVERALL: if I had $50 dollars to spend to gain size and not just fat by eating all that processed crap.
My selection would be - 1. Peanut butter 2.Beans 3.Potatoes 4.Vegetables of choice 5. Preferred protein source (chicken, beef etc...)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.