• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

O/T: Health Is it possible to gain weight / mass with just US$50 per month?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Xeon, Nov 12, 2017 at 4:10 AM.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. jlwilliams

jlwilliams Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,139
    More info please.

You want to gain weight, but it doesn't have to be muscle. What up with that?

$50 per month. Is that your total food budget, or your packing on the flab budget?

What specifically are you trying to accomplish?

AgainstAllOdds and Xeon like this.
  2. Kinematic

Kinematic Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $374
    Individual needs will vary, and only you can say how many calories you need to gain weight, but I'll go through what I use to bulk and cut and the cost.

Speaking of cost, $50 per month which is ~$1.65 per day. That is no bulking budget, $50 per month is a survival budget!

My diet with costs for a 3000 calorie meal plan:

**If anyone can show me how to post as a table I can insert the individual costs**

Breakfast:
    • Greek yogurt, (227g)
    • Protein powder, (1 scoop)
    • Oats (old fashioned), (80g)
    • Water (to soften oats overnight) (100g)
    Lunch:
    • Baked chicken (5oz)
    • Rice (157g uncooked)
    • Shredded cheddar cheese (42g)
    • Pretzel slider bun (from costco) (1 bun)
    Dinner:
    • Sweet potato (300g)
    • Eggs (4)
    • Cheese stick (1)
    • Butter (16g)
    • Toast (3 slices)
    • Raspberry preserves (20g)
    This works out to under $7 per day.

For macros this yields:
    • Protein: 180g
    • Fats: 80g
    • Carbs: 397g

I will note that the cost can be lowered with some planning and buying cheaper ingredients, but the costs are from my local grocery store I frequent.

Also, I know some people will comment about the lack of fruits and veggies, I didn't include any veggies since most I consider to be negligible calories. As for fruits, you could lower the rice a little to fit an apple or orange in there.

3. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $516
    Thanks for all the replies here!

1) Actually, I want to get bigger and get a dad-bod sort of look.
    [​IMG]

Basically, gain the size like you see in above pic, without the need for muscle definition or 6 packs.
    This way, I'll fill out my clothes better and look better overall instead of looking scrawny (my weight is healthy but my bodybuild / frame is similar to a 14 year old girl if you will).
    US$50 is the money for spending on additional food to gain mass, not the total food budget.

Nope, US$50 is additional on top of my 3 meals a day. :)

Btw, does anyone have experience with protein shake turning sour?
    I blend the protein shake in the morning and when I drink the remaining at night (about 14 hrs later), it's sour as hell.

4. Dylan in Africa

Dylan in Africa Fantasy Football Wizard. Success Addict. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $427
    If I leave whey protein mixed with some sort of liquid (water, milk, etc.) out for any prolonged period of time, it will develop a stench. This process seems to accelerate if I leave the blender bottle in a warm area (such as my car in the sun).

The smell is bad enough to keep me from wanting to drink anything, so I can't tell you if it tastes sour (though it sure smells like it would be). I'd recommend mixing, drinking on the spot, and then washing out any containers as soon as possible, but if that's not possible, then I imagine keeping the shake refrigerated would help as well.

Xeon and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  5. LeonardoB

LeonardoB New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $57
    Do you currently do any form of physical training ?

If you just want to "stuff your face" with anything to put on "size" then you will have more health related concerns than your concerns of looking like a 14 year old girl...

I recommend focus on strength training upto 3x a week (you don't have to go all crazy and get a gym membership or start thinking about squats, deadlifts etc... body weight exercise is enough - pull ups, dips, sit ups, push ups etc..)

I would also incorporate about 2 days of cardio - simple 2-3km jog, just to keep your cardiovascular system in good shape and help with digestion and absorption of all the food you will be consuming.

As for food to put on size all you basically need is to eat more protein (animal and plant sources).

Lots of complex "starchy" carbohydrates - (sweet potato, white potato, all types of beans/lentils.

Good source of fats - nuts, avocados

Try consume all your carbohydrate, protein and fat meals during the times you are most active (most likely during the day)

As your schedule winds down and activity levels minimise, so should your consumption of additional carbs.

Best meals to eat during inactivity would be higher protein portions with mixed vegetables.

OVERALL: if I had $50 dollars to spend to gain size and not just fat by eating all that processed crap.
    My selection would be - 1. Peanut butter 2.Beans 3.Potatoes 4.Vegetables of choice 5. Preferred protein source (chicken, beef etc...)

6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The Horrendous Space Kablooie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $29,410
    [​IMG]

7. Kinematic

Rep Bank:
    $374
    If you're leaving your shake out and using whey protein, that's essentially spoiled milk you're drinking.. narsty.

For your goal you'd be best served doing some basic strength training in addition to eating more food. The guy you posted probably lifts weights in some fashion but clearly isn't "aesthetic" according to the magazines.

I suggest the weights because if you just eat more and only gain fat you'll feel/look sloppy and still won't fill out your shirt.

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  8. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $516
    Yup, I just leave it out on my office desk and when I get home at night to finish up the rest of the drink, I must say it's disgusting as hell.
    (always ending up with a tummyache after that)
    This happens even with mass gainers though (mass gainer powder + water).

No strength training, but I do attend dance classes 3 times a week so I guess that's considered a form of cardio (yeah, the sweating was mad).
    Tbh, the main reason I don't really like strength training and going to the gym is that it's boring. Repetitive actions all the time....

For peanut butter, I often hear people tout about that, but does it have any side effects of taking too much? Sodium levels?

9. sparechange

sparechange Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $904
    Who cares that you are scrawny? If you are healthy, keep being healthy. Valuing the opinions of others ( beside this one lol ) is silly. If you are insecure about your physique you need to think about it logically. Also if you can't afford more than $50 bucks a month that is a lot more important than worrying about what your body looks like

Xeon likes this.
  10. Kinematic

Rep Bank:
    $374
    Mass gainers are typically composed of mostly maltodextrin and protein power so that males sense why it's making your stomach upset when it's still spoiled milk.

I can't eat peanut butter (allergies to legumes) but it has a high fat content and sometimes high sugar so it's really not healthy imo.

As far as sodium goes, limit the amount if you have a tendency for high blood pressure otherwise just drink enough water so your urine is clear. Easy peasy.

Xeon likes this.
  11. LeonardoB

LeonardoB New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $57
    I completely understand what you mean by that, I also feel that same way, the whole gym "pick weights up and put them down" thing is not me, but strength training does not have to be boring at all, as I said simple as doing every 2nd day doing some push ups, sit ups, dips, chin ups..

Search up calisthenic workouts on the internet, minimal equipment needed and a whole lot better for your body than just picking up heavy weights.

As for peanut butter just buy an organic option or the type that has undergone minimal processing, also don't over do it, consume maybe 2-3 heaped tablespoons per day and that should be plenty, remember anything in excess could start doing you damage.

Xeon likes this.
  12. James Fend

James Fend Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,052
    I had really got serious into body building about a 1.5 years ago; packed on 15 lean pounds and dropped body fat to 10% in a total body comp (170lbs 14bf -> 185lbs 10bf). It took a crazy amount of effort & discipline but I achieved the "impossible" body re-comp of bulking & cutting at the same time.

But
    oddly enough; my focus on businesses took a hit while doing it.

For me: Grinding & Hustling is directly inverse with body building. One or the other has to go lol. I still workout and sit at about 11-12% but I just watch what I eat and that's all. I don't eat around the clock & chug down shakes, vitamins, meal prepping, cooking, logging macros, etc. etc.. like a freakin' job anymore.

I easily bought $200 worth of groceries or powders/bcaa/etc. every week (just for myself!). And when your body fat goes to a certain level with very little carbs; your brain stays foggy & tired. I couldn't afford to be that anymore... not just money wise, but time & focus-wise was a big opportunity cost expense.

Anyways; just my two cents.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 6:01 AM
    Xeon, ApeRunner and Dylan in Africa like this.