• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

O/T: Health Is it possible to gain weight / mass with just US$50 per month?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Xeon, Nov 12, 2017.

1. masterneme

masterneme Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,945
    Yes because what makes muscles grow is an exposure to progressively higher workloads.

If you want strength you do up to 5 reps per set and if you want mass up to 10/12 per set being 8 the optimal.

Calories are irrelevant, it's just an energy measurement. Energy doesn't build muscle tissue, protein does. Just make sure that you eat enough and you're good to go.

And you won't need that many proteins if you don't train to failure.

In short, don't worry about calories eat what you need, eat enough protein and choose the correct trainning program.

People get too focused on diets, supplements and weird trainning methods when they just need to lift more and better.

If you're skinny now is because you're not lifting enough in volume, if after some time you add 50 kilos to your lifts with an 8 reps per set trainning you'll get bigger. Unless of course you don't eat enough in calories and protein, but this is common sense I think.

Google sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and read about it, you'll understand the process better.

Also, dudewhat made me realize something very important: trust no one, do your research and adapt what you find it works to your particular and specific case. As MJ says, "there is no f*cking list".

Xeon likes this.
  2. dudewhat

dudewhat Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $172
    It takes energy for your body to repair and build muscle. Hence, a slight caloric surplus.

Diet is like 90% of it.

There are millions of people out there -- and I'm one of them -- who are training adequately and putting in the work, but they spin their wheels for years because they don't pay attention to their diet.

Check out the cardio room of your gym. There are regulars who slog it out on the machines for years, yet they look the same. That's because they go home and woof down what they just burned.

It's all about your goals. If you just want to be stronger, then sure, hop on a strength building program (big compounds of 4-6 reps), and just make sure you're eating enough. You don't have to pay much attention to your diet and you will get stronger.

But you won't necessarily look good...

Check out my workout log/journal. I'm decently strong (definitely not the strongest guy in the gym), but I look like sh*t because I didn't pay attention at all to my diet.

I could have made 10x the progress if I would have just set a proper goal -- bulk or cut -- been consistent with that goal, and logged my nutrition.

Your diet is the number one priority. Exercise is second.

Basically. I mean, you don't have to go and reinvent the wheel. Just look at what has worked for other people, try it out, and see if it works for you.

With fitness, what works for one person won't necessary work for others. But there are some basic principles that work for everyone, including the law of thermodynamics (calories in vs. calories out).

Larry P and Xeon like this.
  3. Xeon

Xeon Nessuna macchina per me se non una Pagani Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,860
    I've a question. Recently, I bought a gym bench and dumbells for my home, so I can do dumbell bench presses without going to the gym.

The dumbells are adjustable, and the size of the plates are all large sizes in terms of diameter. Imagine those plates on the squat rack fitted onto a dumbell handle lol

Funny thing is, at the public gym, I can get the 44 lbs dumbell (20 KG each) into position and then lie back to do the press.

However, at my home, I can't for the life of me even carry up the 44 lbs dumbells into position. Because of this, I'm stuck at 37 lbs (17 KG) per dumbell.

Is this due to the size of the plates? (larger plates = more difficult even though weight is same)

I'm still thinking of how to progress to 44 lbs.

4. dudewhat

Rep Bank:
    $172
    Do you throw them up with your knee?

Set them on your leg while you're sitting, and then you kick your knees up as you yank up and lay back. Does that make sense?

Xeon likes this.
  5. Azure

Azure Perpetual Motion Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,436
    If the plates are a different size, it may require stronger ancillary muscles to balance the weight into position.

Try a few workouts with a lower weight, get used to how the dumbbell carries and then go up. Adjustable dumbbells definitely do feel differently, and it may take a bit of getting used to from the regular singles.

Xeon likes this.
  6. Xeon

Xeon Nessuna macchina per me se non una Pagani Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,860
    I know, I've been using that method all along at the gym but with these ones at home are different. Also, I can't set them on my thighs when sitting as both ends of the dumbell end in a long pole (you'll feel the weight of the whole thing being "nailed" into your thigh which is painful as hell)

Which are the ancillary muscles and is it possible to train them on their own so I can progress to get into position with the 44 lbs?

I agree, the adjustable dumbells seem very different from the fixed weight ones. The fixed weight ones actually feel a lot easier. After I've trained with the adjustable ones, the fixed weight ones seem lighter lol

7. Azure

Azure Perpetual Motion Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,436
    Yes, you can definitely train them independently of your bench, and a good work out regime would have most of them covered already (back, tri, delt, glute etc), but there are always good assistance exercises you can fit in if you want to really give your bench a boost.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/accessory-onslaught-2-the-bench-press/

This article touches on a few really good assistance routines.

Xeon likes this.
  8. Azure

Rep Bank:
    $3,436
    If you aren't already doing tricep extentions, add those in as well as some lateral raises and bent over/db rows. That will hit your tris, delts and back.

If you have trouble with gripping the heavier weights or turning it, adding in some forearm exercise like wrist curls and farmers walks will help you there.

Larry P and Xeon like this.
  9. dudewhat

Rep Bank:
    $172
    Ohhh, I see which ones you're talking about. I hate those hahaha. What I would do is stand up, throw them up like a dumbbell hang clean, pack them on your shoulders kinda, and then sit down.

It's going to be hard to further progress with those at a certain point. I would get a barbell if you have the room. Then you can use the same plates and sh*t.

Xeon likes this.
  10. Dave E RDN

Dave E RDN Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $158
    Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength, recommends a gallon of milk a day for those wanting to gain weight. If you did this 5 days a week on top of regular meals, you would definitely gain weight.

Xeon likes this.
  11. masterneme

masterneme Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,945
    If the plates are bigger you need more effort to stabilize them.

You could start doing military presses until you get used to the weight inertias.

Do a conscious effort to squeeze harder and leverage the muscular irradiation effect.

You could also try the "hook grip" and see if it helps, if you have never used it problably won't, but you never know until you do it.

Dave E RDN, Azure and Xeon like this.
  12. Azure

Rep Bank:
    $3,436
    That could also potentially make you sick.

Xeon likes this.
  13. Larry P

Larry P New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $68
    I've had the same experience, at two different homes now. I've used both solid dumbbells and Bowflex SelectTech at home versus the regular rubberized dumbbells at the gym - both hex and plate style. For me, I just lift more at the gym. I think there is some psychological factor to being in a big work room with bigger guys, chicks, and a lot of steel and machinery everywhere versus working out at home where you are comfortable, you have your bed and furniture in close proximity, etc. I've always chalked it up to some psychological factor - our monkey brain.

Xeon likes this.
  14. TylerH1994

TylerH1994 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $633
    I did this for a while, and while it did feel great to have my numbers rise so fast in the lifts, it won't be sustainable if you care at all about your body composition. Rippetoe is not one that focuses on aesthetics, so if you do, you should probably find other sources to pull information from.

Dave E RDN and Xeon like this.
  15. Azure

Rep Bank:
    $3,436
    Its great if you want to look like a t rex

Dave E RDN and TylerH1994 like this.
  16. TylerH1994

TylerH1994 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $633
    :rofl: Starting Strength or GOMAD? I can confirm (not from personal experience, thank god) that if you stick with SS there is a chance you will look like a Centaur... BUT you'd be pretty strong!

Dave E RDN and Xeon like this.
  17. Xeon

Rep Bank:
    $4,860
    Milk is very bad for some people's (or most) skin. It causes lots of acne for one thing.
    I feel it's better to combine milk with protein powder and peanut butter.

Not a fan of Rippletoe's body shape and aesthetics:

[​IMG]
    (if you didn't know this is Rippletoe, you would have thought it's some dad who eats fries and burgers and downs ice-cream soda 4 times a day while watching football and never leaves the couch)

Yes, the guy's strong, but I remember Gary Halbert (the king of copywriting) said in one of his letters to his son, that a guy should have a lean body (or something, can't remember), and not a hulky bulky type of body. I assume he means the body of Captain America/Spiderman/Deadpool rather than Hulk or Juggernaut.

Maybe! I kinda wonder if it's a bad decision buying those plates and dumbells to use at home. As I stay in a high-rise apartment, sometimes when I put the dumbells down (very softly btw), the neighbour below me would use a pole to knock up my floor from below to "hint" me to "ssshhhhh....."

Maybe I should have gone to the gym instead. Or I suspect the weights at the gym are probably lighter despite what it states.

Recently, I think I overtrain (2 continuous days of training till failure).
    Result: Felt very washed out and ultra lethargic the next day, similar to those feverish feeling. Takes almost 5 full days of rest to recover.

TylerH1994 and Dave E RDN like this.
  18. Dave E RDN

Rep Bank:
    $158
    Oh it will definitely make you sick. haha All part of getting HUGE! Right???

I wonder if anyone has tried a gallon of soy milk or almond milk a day. Not much better but it is vegan so...

Xeon likes this.
  19. Dave E RDN

Rep Bank:
    $158
    I agree completely. The OP said he wanted a dad bod. I feel like SS is the perfect program for that haha. Old man strength without the aesthetic physique.

Xeon, Azure and TylerH1994 like this.
  20. TylerH1994

Rep Bank:
    $633
    Yep, Rippetoe definitely doesn't care for aesthetics.

I will say that Starting Strength is a well-respected book for understanding how to perform the big lifts. He breaks it down for complete beginners, and it can help them feel more at ease when they perform them (instead of being scared of getting injured).

Xeon, Azure and Dave E RDN like this.
  21. Dave E RDN

Rep Bank:
    $158
    Absolutely.

If you notice, most of Rippetoe's protocols are very simple. Perhaps in some cases too simple. Like: want to gain weight? Drink a lot of milk. Want to get get strong? Do these three lifts and add weight. Got a bad back? Deadlift.

Not that these are bad pieces of advice but very simple and not for everyone.

When I did starting strength I was very happy with the progress I made in the lifts and the my mastery of them. But you get to a point doing it where you get bored and the gains you make in your physique leave some thing to be desired.

Xeon likes this.
  22. silentownage001

silentownage001 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $273
    Like how Daniel Craig looks in James Bond?

23. Xeon

Rep Bank:
    $4,860
    About there. Maybe 10 - 20% bigger but yes.

silentownage001 likes this.
  24. Xeon

Rep Bank:
    $4,860
    Ok, I found a solution to the problem I described in Post #53: O/T: Health - Is it possible to gain weight / mass with just US$50 per month?

What I did was to load one end of the dumbell with a large 22-lbs plate, and on the other hand, a 11-lbs plate + a series of small weights to make the total dumbell 44 lbs!

And now I can get it off the ground onto my chest! Maybe it's some weird law of physics at play lol