The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is A Services Business Considered Fastlane ?

Anything related to matters of the mind

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
Between vegan soup and selling widgets ... I chose to start a 'services' business.

In which we are solving a very specific problem by rendering a very specific service.

The service is so specialized you cannot hope to automate it down the line - the only thing I can hope for is to add productized services or a software to the array of offerings.
No matter what the exact service is I'm selling - can you scale this type of business in the future? Are there examples of wildly successful service businesses?

I guess I'm looking for some reinforcement - because reading MJ's book made me reconsider some choices I made along the line.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Service businesses can absolutely be scalable and fastlane.

KPMG, Price Waterhouse, Administaff, Insperity, Baker Botts. The founder of each of those is probably a billionaire.

Being less specific: banks, insurance companies, compliance firms, investment firms, staffing firms, I could go on and on.

Automation isn’t the only way to scale, delegating is also an option.

Think about even a simple mechanic’s shop… More mechanics make the business bigger than just the owner.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Yes, it can be.

Basically its all about untying yourself from business while keeping the quality or services.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

A family I know well recently sold their industrial contracting business for north of $60 million.

It was sweaty, hard work, with over 1,000 employees in a blue collar industry in not-so-popular LCOL area.

Yes. That's fast lane.

(their kids are into acting and golf now, one of the brothers/owners is now a bank president, etc.)

edit 2: this might be one of the hardest businesses to build (the contractor one), and it took many decades and more than 2 generations of family, but it worked for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Apr 21, 2018
You should run the CENTS by yourself. At least try... and then we can review it. You need to be able see what's fastlane or not by yourself.

Be well :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Here’s an example for you. My mom has been successful with her small business as an interior designer. She would take on big and lucrative jobs, but there’s some magic to what she does that can’t be easily taught. Still, the business could have become bigger than her, I encouraged her over the years to build it up, she just didn’t want to. She has always kept it to one or two big jobs a year.

Either way, she has done well and stayed very free time wise. Here’s a super simple and rudimentary framework she could have roughly used to grow:

Step One- She could have hired someone that had good taste, that could make some of the more basic decisions and deal directly with the customer.

Step Two- Upgrade the person from step one and hire a new person that does the more basic stuff.

Step Three- Take on more customers because you can handle them. Reserve yourself for only top level decisions.

Beyond… Keep going with it. Continue to minimize the time applied to repetitive tasks at the top.

Eventually, even though they are other designers, they carry the prestige of the flagship designer for the firm.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Between vegan soup and selling widgets ... I chose to start a 'services' business.

In which we are solving a very specific problem by rendering a very specific service.

The service is so specialized you cannot hope to automate it down the line - the only thing I can hope for is to add productized services or a software to the array of offerings.
No matter what the exact service is I'm selling - can you scale this type of business in the future? Are there examples of wildly successful service businesses?

I guess I'm looking for some reinforcement - because reading MJ's book made me reconsider some choices I made along the line.
  1. My friend, you are already IN the Fastlane.
  2. GOLD! - From Flat-Broke to Financial Freedom: How to Get Started When You Have No Money
  3. www.TropicalMBA.com/services

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.