The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Introverts vs Extroverts (The forum is mostly introverts?)

Are you introvert or extrovert?

• Total voters

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Dec 7, 2018
Paid advertising, Instagram and partnering with influencers/celebrities, Instagram DMs for b2b deals. Going to try to build up my dealer network on a 5,000 mile road trip this summer.
Cool, those sound really interesting! I have already seen one success case with the road trip visits. Works really well for great personal connections.

How successful are you with Instagram DMs for b2b deals? I might be biased because we worked mostly with high-profile influencers and they almost "never" reply to their DMs. E-mail worked really well though ... However, I think with smaller accounts, it's easier, correct? Less amount of spam in DMs, etc...

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I don't think the results are surprising at all.

The majority of this forum consists of social outcasts - people that decided to think a different way than the rest of society.

Personally, I'm introverted most of the time, but I attribute that not to being a loner, but to mostly not seeing eye to eye with most people I meet. The majority of people are uninteresting or incapable of having an interaction that supersedes the entertainment value of spending time by myself.

I'd bet if the world was filled with fastlaners, we'd all say we're extroverted since we'd love spending time with others. You can probably see this at any fastlane meetup. However, the world is filled with slowlaners so we decide that spending time by ourselves is more pleasant than living out a slowlane interaction.

Put an athlete in a world of academics and he becomes the loner that likes to run by himself. Put a professor in a world of athletes and he becomes the weirdo that reads books.

Basically: whether you're introverted or extroverted is extremely dependent on your environment. Since we belong to a small subsect of people, we have to create our own world if we want to be extroverts.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States
How successful are you with Instagram DMs for b2b deals? I might be biased because we worked mostly with high-profile influencers and they almost "never" reply to their DMs.
It's an on-going experiment. One I'll take to scale next year. I have made some very interesting connections and some cool opportunities through Instagram DMs. It took 7-ish DMs to get a response from one celeb, but when they finally saw it, it turned into a free TV product-placement deal.

Another approach I'll be trying is a cross-channel blitz on these folks. Trying to reach them everywhere to see what gets through. Usually a non-response on a big account is going to be because they didn't see it.

I think with smaller accounts, it's easier, correct? Less amount of spam in DMs, etc...
For my business, it doesn't make sense to partner with anyone with less than a few hundred thousand followers. Standing out is a challenge yes. Still learning.

James Cozens

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 26, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand

The majority of this forum consists of social outcasts - people that decided to think a different way than the rest of society.

Personally, I'm introverted most of the time, but I attribute that not to being a loner, but to mostly not seeing eye to eye with most people I meet. The majority of people are uninteresting or incapable of having an interaction that supersedes the entertainment value of spending time by myself.

I'd bet if the world was filled with fastlaners, we'd all say we're extroverted since we'd love spending time with others. You can probably see this at any fastlane meetup. However, the world is filled with slowlaners so we decide that spending time by ourselves is more pleasant than living out a slowlane interaction.

Put an athlete in a world of academics and he becomes the loner that likes to run by himself. Put a professor in a world of athletes and he becomes the weirdo that reads books.

Basically: whether you're introverted or extroverted is extremely dependent on your environment. Since we belong to a small subsect of people, we have to create our own world if we want to be extroverts.
To add to that: perhaps the introvert entrepreneurs are here on the forum whereas the extrovert entrepreneurs are out at business networking groups ;)

AlessioLC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 19, 2017
France
I think we're kind of all the same, we love being around people but not too much, we prefer to be alone most of the time and minding our own business.

Being around / interacting with people all day long is not possible, just a bit each day is enough.

jon.M

The Well Defined Forum Member
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Europe
www.thefastlaneforum.com
In my experience, introverts make up the majority of most forums I have spent time on. It's a good communication channel for introverts. It lets you connect with likeminded people while still keeping some distance, in a way.

Extroverts are maybe more prone to talking to people in real life, facebook etc?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
It took 7-ish DMs to get a response from one celeb, but when they finally saw it, it turned into a free TV product-placement deal
Doesn't this kinda irritate them and potentially get you into their spam zone?
Also, how long do you wait before you send another DM?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
To add to that: perhaps the introvert entrepreneurs are here on the forum whereas the extrovert entrepreneurs are out at business networking groups ;)
Have you been to any business networking groups?

They're typically filled with idiot salespeople trying to suck as much value out of you as they can.

At least here if someone tries to push a crappy product, I can talk trash and then hit ignore. That's a lot harder to do in person.

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 7, 2018
Yes, indeed :)

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 7, 2018
Doesn't this kinda irritate them and potentially get you into their spam zone?
Also, how long do you wait before you send another DM?
I don't think so ... I think the point is that they don't even see the first 6 of them. If they are over a certain threshold, let's say 500k/1m++ they are getting tons of messages in "message requests" folder and unless they have a dedicated minion who takes care of their account, they won't probably see it ...

Re. waiting, I can't speak for @amp0193 but I have good results with 1 week of waiting on other channels, so I'd try to replicate it on Instagram as well.

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 7, 2018
In my experience, introverts make up the majority of most forums I have spent time on. It's a good communication channel for introverts. It lets you connect with likeminded people while still keeping some distance, in a way.

Extroverts are maybe more prone to talking to people in real life, facebook etc?
Thanks for sharing @jon.M ! What are your favorite outreach tactics/channels?

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 7, 2018
I think we're kind of all the same, we love being around people but not too much, we prefer to be alone most of the time and minding our own business.

Being around / interacting with people all day long is not possible, just a bit each day is enough.
Yeah, sounds about right @AlessioLC ... what are your favorite outreach tactics/channels?

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 7, 2018
It's an on-going experiment. One I'll take to scale next year. I have made some very interesting connections and some cool opportunities through Instagram DMs. It took 7-ish DMs to get a response from one celeb, but when they finally saw it, it turned into a free TV product-placement deal.

Another approach I'll be trying is a cross-channel blitz on these folks. Trying to reach them everywhere to see what gets through. Usually a non-response on a big account is going to be because they didn't see it.

For my business, it doesn't make sense to partner with anyone with less than a few hundred thousand followers. Standing out is a challenge yes. Still learning.
Another example, that smart persistence is worth it :) Thanks for sharing your experience!!

I bet the cross-channel blitz needs to be very balanced to avoid the 'spam-report', but otherwise I can imagine that with big accounts they just don't see it among the sea of other messages.

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 7, 2018

Thanks for sharing @AgainstAllOdds That's a great angle on it :) Very practical.

Care to share your favorite outreach tactics/channels? cheers

maikooo

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 7, 2018

They're typically filled with idiot salespeople trying to suck as much value out of you as they can.

At least here if someone tries to push a crappy product, I can talk trash and then hit ignore. That's a lot harder to do in person.
Depends ... judging by your experience, I am grateful I haven't been to such, although once almost went to Kiosaki's Rich Dad/Poor Dad seminar. My intuition punched me in my b*lls before I clicked "register" :) Phew!!

I have the most experience with startup meetups filled with people with 10-15k/m jobs who are lost or by startup founders who are "playing on business" ... and once I explain to them, just read TMFL or Unscripted I always get this blank stare. Very uninspirational. I stopped going altogether.

Now mostly attending pitch presentations to sponge inspiration ... however, it's becoming very annoying because these wannapreneurs are judged based on how well they present instead of a traction and business model.

Are there any TMFL chapters across the world organizing meetups?

James Cozens

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 26, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh yes... I wasted 4 months of my life earlier this year going to networking groups almost daily. Never again!

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 20, 2012
I think its normal for go-getters to be more "Introverts" than Extroverts because they are spending most of their time reading, learning, practising and executing the stuff they learn.

We don't have time to go to the bar everyday after work, we don't have time to watch the NFL/NBA match, we don't have time to just kick shit & play PS3 while kicking back a few brewskies.

A lot of us are not putting in any time into social things - so obviously over time we become uncomfortable in those situations and inevitably we become introverts - I used to be an extrovert when I was younger, but once I DECIDED to commit to becoming successful (i.e I wanted success as much as a drowning man wants to breath air!) I slowly became an introvert - now I'm pretty much a loner that just enjoys my own company.

ChrisV

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Neither, just like the majority of people probably. I love to be alone sometimes and I love to be with people too.

I've seen that this introvert/extrovert stuff leads to a static mindset in general ("I can't do that because I'm a this or that"), just like most of personality tests and profiles.

Personality tests are mental masturbation anyway. They lead to nothing but to getting stuck in limited beliefs.

My tactics? What makes people buy from me, not what fits my personality lmfao.
I agree with this. I'm probably an extrovert-introvert if one exists. I love time to myself but if I need to get up and present in front of a group of strangers no problem.

-cold/warm emails
-content marketing
-solving people's problems, oh and by the way I do ______
You can’t say ‘neither’... that’s not how it works
Everyone has introvert and extrovert tendencies

When someone says ‘in some cases I’m an introvert,
in some cases I’m an extrovert’ that’s just like ‘okay so you’re a human?'

Introvert / Extrovert refers to where on the spectrum you
fall, and yes... in some cases people are in the middle, but
since our guesses are notoriously inaccurate you would
need to take a Big 5 Assessment to figure that out. Also,
Myers Briggs is kaka. Big 5 is the only scientifically valid
Personality Assment.

Understand Myself - What You Need to Know

Warning, it cost $8, but it’s well worth it. Taking that specific Big 5 Assessment was probably one of the smartest thing I’ve ever done, and I think I even posted about it in the ‘what’s the best value you’ve ever payed for’ thread. Knowing your personality lets you know what types of work you’re best suited for, what you can work on, strengths, weaknesses.

Anyway, to answer the question, I’m neither. Sometimes I’m an int... just kidding. I’m mostly Introverted, but people think I’m extroverted. When it comes to social events, I’m usually the life of the party, so people think ‘extroverted.’ But what they don’t see is how much i need alone time, and too much socialization empties my batteries quickly.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 3, 2015
The websites results described me to a T.... it was so accurate it was kinda of strange reading it.

Personality type, INTP-A, Logician.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015

Man, this hits the nail on the head.

My family says that I need to get out more and socialize. I find socializing with most people to be boring and unfulfilling as most people just talk about partying, things they hate about their job, or the latest episode of American Idol.

It seems like a lot of people have just given up on their dreams. At least with entrepreneurship, there's still a fire within someone to do big things or to go out and fulfill their dreams.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States
Re. waiting, I can't speak for @amp0193 but I have good results with 1 week of waiting on other channels, so I'd try to replicate it on Instagram as well.
Still learning and testing. I generally wait a week or so before pings. After a while I start looking at other ways to get their attention.

I had good luck a couple of times with an image in the first DM. Grabs attention for just a moment, if the DM is opened.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 27, 2013
United States
A lot of us are not putting in any time into social things - so obviously over time we become uncomfortable in those situations and inevitably we become introverts - I used to be an extrovert when I was younger, but once I DECIDED to commit to becoming successful (i.e I wanted success as much as a drowning man wants to breath air!) I slowly became an introvert - now I'm pretty much a loner that just enjoys my own company.
Sounds like it's working for you, so not suggesting that you need to change anything... just gonna share.

The best thing I've learned from @LightHouse in the last couple of months is to strive for success is in all areas of your life. If you get to the top of the business world, but you've got no one left around you... is it really a success? Just something to think about.

Yes, for me, business is the primary focus. However, each week I am now setting goals for family, goals for friends, goals for health and personal finance.

To attempt to quantify it, I would say that my relationship with my wife is 3x better than before I started setting these goals 2 months ago. I've made time for a lunch here and there for friends when I normally wouldn't have thought to. I should probably call my mom more... maybe that'll be a goal for next week.

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!