The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Instagram Marketing ($100K+ profit, 4M followers)

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Bump...

Instagress has been forced to shutdown today by Instagram...

Expect more crackdowns on IG bots in the near future.

This could be a massive game changer. Interested how things will play out. Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
This is what happens when you ignore @MJ DeMarco commandment of control.
I don't think anyone should be solely relying on Instagress or any automated service to drive their business. At best, Instagram should be used as another platform to advertise. The soul fact that Instagram can ban your account because they want to should prove that no one should rely solely on any one platform.

If they do target other automated bots, which will be hard to do since others are offline services, then people will find new ways to grow.

I know I'm not very worried. I guess there will be more to talk about in the future though about Instagram growth.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Instagress has been forced to shutdown today by Instagram...

Hasn't Instagram declined in its value to promote products?

Kinda like Facebook pages are now essentially worthless unless you want to pay to have your posts boosted?

MrBlue

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 21, 2017
London
Hello my name is Zycco aka Mr Blue.

I popped up and seemed very interesting to me as i have two accounts. On Instagram i have my personal account that i follow people like and comment and all that jazz.

Then i have my newly started brand Figure Blueprint which is a passionate brand all about finding people who are passionate and filming them and getting them to showcase their passion.

On this account i only follow people i work with.

But for anyone who shows support i then then follow them on my personal account and vice versa.

Its been such a slow process of getting more followers and likes on my personal account and im afraid if it's taking that long with my personal one then my brand one will take even longer.

My aim is to have 100k my end of the year so i can start making money off instagram and reach a wider audience.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I don't think anyone should be solely relying on Instagress or any automated service to drive their business. At best, Instagram should be used as another platform to advertise. The soul fact that Instagram can ban your account because they want to should prove that no one should rely solely on any one platform.

You misunderstood me. When I said ignore the commandment of control I meant Instagress, not Instagram users. Instagress built their castle on the sands. With that foundation it was only a matter of time before the tide came in and washed those foundations away.

A fundamental law of business is NEVER have all your eggs in one basket. It's why I think the current 'in thing' of building a business selling own branded goods through Amazon is flawed. Even if Amazon doesn't shut you down you are playing constant ping-pong with the competition in a never ending spiral of customer acquisition through trying to own the Buy Button. Play that game and see your margins shrivel. Also if you do well with a product not only do you set yourself up as a target from other sellers, Amazon themselves will source that product directly and cut you out of the equation. I have had direct personal experience of this.

It's why the smart people like @AllenCrawley have built their own sites so successfully that they have surpassed their Amazon sales. They have the foresight to see the dangers lurking just around the corner.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Hasn't Instagram declined in its value to promote products?

Yes and no. I think IG users have become accustomed to ads on IG and it hasn't deterred them from using the app. The big thing that I have noticed though is that your ads on IG better be on point or the comment section will be flame central for your product or biz.

Use highly edited pics or ones that are aesthetically pleasing. I've seen local businesses in the area (lets saying plumbing service) use absolute shit images of their dirty truck and copy that is atrocious. The comments: "I wouldn't even consider using this service with such a crappy ad."

This big thing here is definitely the law of Control. People that solely relied on IG as a source of income using Instagress or other bots are scrambling to figure out the next move. Your IG and other social media accounts should just be another extension of outreach for your brand.

But you know it's easier to sign up for an account and pay for a bot than actually WORK on building a brand.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
It all depends. I'm using IG bots to automate what I would normally do myself (for another business I'm running, NOT my physical product).

It seems that this type of conservative approach is still bringing in interested followers. I get the occasional spam accounts but it's been providing good results.

v0lume4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
May 1, 2017
Greenville, SC
I've read the first few and last few pages of this thread. I've been pondering how Instagram (and therefore the Instagram marketing game) has changed since this thread was created (nearly) two years ago.

If you're being honest, does anyone feel that growing your Instagram account via bots (automatic liking, following, commenting, etc.) is still an effective method today, in 2017? I ask because I get random likes and comments on my photos on my personal Instagram account almost daily, yet I know that these likes and comments aren't "real" -- they are driven by bots. The same with followers -- I seem to get new followers every day, but my follower number never goes up. Why? Because I am being followed/unfollowed by bots.

I hardly ever view the random accounts liking and commenting on my photos because I know what's going on. BUT, perhaps I'm not the average user. Does the average user know what's going on? Has the average user developed a keen eye for these types of practices?

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I've read the first few and last few pages of this thread. I've been pondering how Instagram (and therefore the Instagram marketing game) has changed since this thread was created (nearly) two years ago.

If you're being honest, does anyone feel that growing your Instagram account via bots (automatic liking, following, commenting, etc.) is still an effective method today, in 2017? I ask because I get random likes and comments on my photos on my personal Instagram account almost daily, yet I know that these likes and comments aren't "real" -- they are driven by bots. The same with followers -- I seem to get new followers every day, but my follower number never goes up. Why? Because I am being followed/unfollowed by bots.

I hardly ever view the random accounts liking and commenting on my photos because I know what's going on. BUT, perhaps I'm not the average user. Does the average user know what's going on? Has the average user developed a keen eye for these types of practices?

I think there is a good portion of people on both sides of the isle, knowing and not.

However, I think the more important question is whether Instagram knows, and if so, does it affect us. I think the answer is yes.
*Cue the removal of Instagress*
Instagram has always had its bots as well as it's organic accounts. For a while, I don't think Instagram knew how to take care of this botting problem, so those with bots succeed. I think organic growth is now tipping in favor.

I'm working on a brand new account, completely bot free, and will see if I can share what I learn, however, I think it would be wise for people to start learning how to properly grow an Instagram account.

*I have been using FollowLiker for a year and a half now. I'm starting to see major changes in engagement(downward.) I don't think it is because I am slacking, but rather Instagram is limiting my exposure because it knows I bot.*

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 2, 2017
Austin, TX
So i used your video to set up my account Mikkel, however after liking the first pic, FollowLiker says "Next scheduled automation will run in 5 minutes", then counts down every ten seconds.

Isnt it supposed to like a picture every 20-30 seconds? Not sure if I have a setting wrong, but Ive followed everything in the video I think.

Edit: Sometimes it starts the timer at 3min 50sec. Not sure whats going on. What setting do I have wrong here since its only liking one pic every 3-5 min? lol

I was just having the same problem and I think I figured it out! Go to File >General >Settings then change the automation interval from 3-5 minutes to 3-5 seconds, or whatever you want it to be on!

For liking lists from Telegram Rounds, I would keep it with just "Scrape Photo = checked" AND "Like = checked", and on the next page, "Scrape Photo Limit = 1", "Scrape Only Top Results = checked".

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Is there a step by step guide you recommend for beginners? A book? any resources to share? I don't want to waste anyone's time here asking stupid questions.Thanks.

Huracan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Feb 2, 2016
I think there is a good portion of people on both sides of the isle, knowing and not.

However, I think the more important question is whether Instagram knows, and if so, does it affect us. I think the answer is yes.
Instagram has always had its bots as well as it's organic accounts. For a while, I don't think Instagram knew how to take care of this botting problem, so those with bots succeed. I think organic growth is now tipping in favor.

I'm working on a brand new account, completely bot free, and will see if I can share what I learn, however, I think it would be wise for people to start learning how to properly grow an Instagram account.

*I have been using FollowLiker for a year and a half now. I'm starting to see major changes in engagement(downward.) I don't think it is because I am slacking, but rather Instagram is limiting my exposure because it knows I bot.*

A lot of people have been talking about getting "shadow banned" on hashtags. Still not sure whether this is something Instagram is doing purposely or whether it's a glitch.

Am i right in thinking that you only use the liking method and you've been getting limited exposure? Also do you think how many times a day you post (use a certain hashtags) effects this.

v0lume4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
May 1, 2017
Greenville, SC

Interesting. I'm very interested in hearing your progress going forward. The social media game is the one thing that I just haven't been able to crack.

I have a friend that bought and grew a Twitter account from ~less than one thousand followers (something around that number range) to over 80k quite quickly. Like, less than a year if I remember correctly. All organic, too. So I think there's something to be said for putting in the time and gathering followers with authentic interaction.

Last edited:

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Just started building an Instagram page 4 days ago. Realized I should have been doing this years ago. Building an Instagram page in my niche, but not the business name. I realized that if I immediately try to grow my business page directly, it comes off as salesly. So the page I'm building is just a generic niche page and with this page, I will promote my business.

Sucks that Facebook has literally no organic reach and that you have to do some sort of giveaway/contest to even get any engagement on your ads for a physical product unless it is a sham wow product that could be demonstrated well in video.

Got a temporary ban by follow/unfollow yesterday :/

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Just started building an Instagram page 4 days ago. Realized I should have been doing this years ago. Building an Instagram page in my niche, but not the business name. I realized that if I immediately try to grow my business page directly, it comes off as salesly. So the page I'm building is just a generic niche page and with this page, I will promote my business.

Sucks that Facebook has literally no organic reach and that you have to do some sort of giveaway/contest to even get any engagement on your ads for a physical product unless it is a sham wow product that could be demonstrated well in video.

I'm also doing this. I was deciding between a general niche page vs my business page and quite honestly, the general niche seems like a better option. It allows you to build an audience with more options for products aka you're your own influencer, versus a very specific business page that may or may not be useless if your product or business goes under.

An IG account with say 20k followers of cars for example, can market any car product or any other product that car enthusiasts may like so it has value outside of the business. If it was however my business such as ABC Motorsports, then if my service business goes away or something happens, the IG account becomes somewhat useless. As well as the limitations in being able to market only things related to my business. A general IG account can act as an influencer for multiple products including ones that are not your own.

What is a temporary ban?

Huracan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Feb 2, 2016

How many people did you follow/unfollow?

Build it up slowly. 25 people the first day 50 people the next etc. If you're account is under 4 months old then it will easily get banned if you go to fast.

I follow and unfollow on different days to be safe

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I'm also doing this. I was deciding between a general niche page vs my business page and quite honestly, the general niche seems like a better option. It allows you to build an audience with more options for products aka you're your own influencer, versus a very specific business page that may or may not be useless if your product or business goes under.

An IG account with say 20k followers of cars for example, can market any car product or any other product that car enthusiasts may like so it has value outside of the business. If it was however my business such as ABC Motorsports, then if my service business goes away or something happens, the IG account becomes somewhat useless. As well as the limitations in being able to market only things related to my business. A general IG account can act as an influencer for multiple products including ones that are not your own.

What is a temporary ban?

In my experience, I just got a pop up from instagram after mass following/unfollowing that I was put on temporary ban. When I tried to follow someone the button would only blink back preventing me from doing anything. It subsided in less than a day though. But I think if I get too many temporary bans then it will be permanent ban. I agree with every single one of your points.

How many people did you follow/unfollow?

Build it up slowly. 25 people the first day 50 people the next etc. If you're account is under 4 months old then it will easily get banned if you go to fast.

I follow and unfollow on different days to be safe

Yeah, I am currently building a product and I think it is going to be ready way before my instagram following is big enough to test. Which is why I was rushing a bit. Got 130 followers in 4 days. Didn't keep count, but a lot. I'm lucky I just got a warning though. I learned my lesson

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
Anyways... after using FollowLiker and trying to grow my page since September of last year and only being around 5k followers, obviously I'm doing something wrong. I think the main issue is:

#1 - I went the LAZY route and have ALL of my pictures queued up with a bunch of spun comments. I'm going to start manually posting.
#2 - I don't want to reveal too much, but I'm going to switch up my ENTIRE strategy. Instead of just another "motivational" page, I'm going to build a brand around it.

And... I'm going to stop the Follow/Unfollow method and go back to the liking method.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
So a bit of an update, my gf reached 10k followers, and she has good comment/like ratio, its very niche. It's in home decor industry and she wants to start selling products. Right now she doesnt have the money to go buy products from china and brand them. What I suggested is she takes some items she likes and does affiliate for the companies that sell it, also it helps because we're in europe and 50% of her audience is in US, and shipping i think will not be feasible because of high price. (unless she sells high end stuff which is down the line a ways).

Since instagress closed, what do you guys find works good now? Instazoot doesnt do much for her right now, not nearly as well as igress.

Curious what you guys would do for products if you didint have your own product yet, affiliate products from companies you reach out in your niche/amazon was my guess.

magnificent

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jan 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey man quick question!

I'm about 72 hours new into Instagram just to see if my dumb idea would work. Engagement from people are also pretty neat for being such a new account.

So far it looks like I'm gaining an average of 3 e-mail sign ups a day to my landing page.

I don't have a physical product yet.

Do you suggest I get one ASAP to start selling? Or wait it out?

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
My advice doesn't want to grow fast. I've been posting high-quality videos daily to it, and I'm getting decent amount of views, but people aren't following. I've used the liking method... and the follow/unfollow method and can't get over 20-30 daily followers.

I've been running FollowLiker for 6+ months and my account is still around 6,000ish followers.

Any advice?

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Do most of you still use bots? Seems unsafe, due to instagress and mass planner being shut down. Followliker will probably follow soon right?

It's almost 2 months since I started building my account manually at 4700 followers. This is taking a lot of time out of my day to do this. This isn't a good use of my time. Too risky to go with bots though...

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Do most of you still use bots? Seems unsafe, due to instagress and mass planner being shut down. Followliker will probably follow soon right?

It's almost 2 months since I started building my account manually at 4700 followers. This is taking a lot of time out of my day to do this. This isn't a good use of my time. Too risky to go with bots though...
FollowLiker is a software I downloaded onto my computer; how would they shut it down?

LleixG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 22, 2015
Barcelona, Spain

Using a bot is safe, only the owners of the bots got in trouble. The accounts using the bots aren't getting banned.

FollowLiker is a software I downloaded onto my computer; how would they shut it down?

Instagram can send them a C&D. It doesn't matter though, there are a lot of cloud based bots you can use.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Anybody killing it right now?
Nope! I threw in the towel to some extent. Instagram is still great if you are trying to promote your business, however, the game has changed. All but FollowLiker has essentially shut down and now FollowLiker is requiring a monthly payment, which I will not support.
Anyways, I'm in talks with someone to buy my main account and using that money along with other saved money for some other venture. Definitely not the sort of return that is worth the time I spent, but I learned a lot from my year and a half adventure with Instagram and my main account.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Nope! I threw in the towel to some extent. Instagram is still great if you are trying to promote your business, however, the game has changed. All but FollowLiker has essentially shut down and now FollowLiker is requiring a monthly payment, which I will not support.
F that!

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I knew followliker would be a house of cards. I started a couple weeks ago in a niche I love. Instagram is addicting

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Truth is it's getting a lot harder to game Instagram these days, however, I wouldn't dismiss it totally quite yet. Yes, it's getting harder to beat the system with Instagram coming down hard on the bots, but that is actually giving us all a chance to step up our game.

From personal experience I did well creating accounts in the motivational, sports and fashion niches that were essentially set and repeat and I needed to minimal targeting because it was early in the game and unsaturated. Now even though there is still the potential to use these bots, I'm not.

Why? Because they hurt me more than help me right now.

The way to win on Instagram now is to have exceptional content and be engaging with the people who can really make a difference by liking and engaging with me.

Instead of funneling money into monthly bots I've spent it on setting up systems that let me reverse engineer niches in seconds. If it's a local business then I can tell them the hashtags hot around their location in seconds, as well as the influential accounts around them they should be inviting in and bending over backwards to help. For online niches, I can identify what the layers of hashtags that people are using to dominate, their best performing content and more importantly the people engaging with those time and time again. Pick out the truly influential ones out of that lot, funnel the time and money you'd spend on your bots and you'll have a really engaged account (and very saleable thanks to it's natural growth).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.