The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In which areas of your life do you set goals?

Anything related to matters of the mind

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
For the first time in my life, I'm sitting down to properly plan goals for the remainder of the year.

I'm wondering, in what areas of your life do you set goals?

Financial and health/fitness goals are quite straightforward.

But when it comes to emotional/personal/spiritual goals, I'm struggling to plan quantifiable goals for the year, to see how I've progressed.

I'm interested to hear how others approach goal setting for themselves.

Do you set goals for yourself outside of work/financial/physical? Where do you look to improve? And how do you track your progress?
Are there other areas in which you set goals for yourself?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
The Main Business - we have them shared with co-founders, and for six months, cause year is too long. Some are shared responsibility, and some are personal.

Personal Investments/Hustles - I have some semi-passive things going on the side; it's more just to keep track of them and adjust.

Self-Improvement - those are health/fitness/habits/learning combined, usually for a few months, not the whole year.

Hobbies - cause I don't have time for them, and that's the only way to treat them important and keep up with the community

Family - those are slim, and usually for kids. Like teaching them how to speak, read, and write.

House-related - it's not common to move a lot in Ukraine, and we're trying to improve our household. Things like trees, flowers, sauna, etc. More small projects then goals, I just track them with the same approach.

I track tasks with Todoist now. It works much better than Google Keep, Docs, and Calendar combined.
For goals progress, I'm still using Google Sheets and manually update the progress weekly.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
For the first time in my life, I'm sitting down to properly plan goals for the remainder of the year.

But when it comes to emotional/personal/spiritual goals, I'm struggling to plan quantifiable goals for the year, to see how I've progressed.

Do you set goals for yourself outside of work/financial/physical? Where do you look to improve? And how do you track your progress?
Good question.
In the realms of emotional/personal/spiritual goals are usually less quantifiable.
Taking a day to day and week by week process centric approach can be very effective.
For example, I want to be more spiritually connected, I keep a journal of something I did each day in this area and the benefit that I got.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

All goals are personal goals.
What would a emotional or spiritual goal even be?

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
All goals are personal goals.
What would a emotional or spiritual goal even be?
That's sort of what I'm getting at, I'm unsure.

I guess emotionally, you could aim to be more emotionally stable (for example). But I can't think of how you would quantify such objectives. "Have no more than 5 arguments", it seems a bit pointless...

Yet most people discussing goals/goal-setting advise to set goals in different areas of your life (eg. mental, spiritual, emotional etc)

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, and should just stick to the goals I can think of.

The Main Business - we have them shared with co-founders, and for six months, cause year is too long. Some are shared responsibility, and some are personal.

Personal Investments/Hustles - I have some semi-passive things going on the side; it's more just to keep track of them and adjust.

Self-Improvement - those are health/fitness/habits/learning combined, usually for a few months, not the whole year.

Hobbies - cause I don't have time for them, and that's the only way to treat them important and keep up with the community

Family - those are slim, and usually for kids. Like teaching them how to speak, read, and write.

House-related - it's not common to move a lot in Ukraine, and we're trying to improve our household. Things like trees, flowers, sauna, etc. More small projects then goals, I just track them with the same approach.

I track tasks with Todoist now. It works much better than Google Keep, Docs, and Calendar combined.
For goals progress, I'm still using Google Sheets and manually update the progress weekly.
This makes sense. I understand how viewing some areas as 'projects' or 'tasks' can be more useful than viewing them as 'goals' as such.

Do you track areas like 'habits', 'learning' etc, or are these things you review without necessarily tracking.

Good question.
In the realms of emotional/personal/spiritual goals are usually less quantifiable.
Taking a day to day and week by week process centric approach can be very effective.
For example, I want to be more spiritually connected, I keep a journal of something I did each day in this area and the benefit that I got.
That's useful, thanks. I suppose a general goal in those areas may just be to 'improve', which is measured through repeated action such as journalling/weekly reviews etc.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Business only.

Setting "personal" goals feels little... well i it removes the feelings.

While being cold thinker in biz is advantageous
doing it in private life doesn't seem so.

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Business only.

Setting "personal" goals feels little... well i it removes the feelings.

While being cold thinker in biz is advantageous
doing it in private life doesn't seem so.
What about fitness/health goals? Or are those already integrated into your routine?

If anyone's interested, here's how I've decided to focus myself for the remainder of 2020.

I'll admit, they're hardly earth-shattering goals.

But given the fact I've never really had focus before, and that I've only just left university and started 'getting my life together', I'm quite happy.

I'm looking to set solid foundations this year, with the aim to see demonstratable growth in 2021.

Getting out of debt is my absolute priority, so that next year I can actually invest financially in myself/ventures.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
This makes sense. I understand how viewing some areas as 'projects' or 'tasks' can be more useful than viewing them as 'goals' as such.

Do you track areas like 'habits', 'learning' etc, or are these things you review without necessarily tracking.
My approach is pretty different from your table.

I set goals for a 6m or 1y period. Those can be, for example, "4 hires", "$30k+ project sold", or "weight 67 kg".

Then I usually split them into subgoals, like "weight 70 kg by the end of summer", "make the company attractive to bigger clients", "learn GIMP".

Inside those, I set recurring tasks to do something and usually have complete freedom with that. For example, for "learn GIMP" at first I've spent like 4 hours a day to get the basic, now I watch one random tutorial a week just to know what else out there and to get a better idea about the possibilities.

I usually don't have goals like do five workouts a week. My goals are all end-results-driven, except for one. I want to form a habit of walking at least 6 km every day. For keeping myself accountable, I have "max skip days" per quarter.

Recurring tasks in Todoist help me plan the day, and I usually do all of them. That's ok if I don't as the hitting subgoals matter much more.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
@astr0 Outcome goals are good because they keep you accountable.
Projects are also good because these are things that are under your control and that make it possible to reach your goals.

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
My approach is pretty different from your table.

I set goals for a 6m or 1y period. Those can be, for example, "4 hires", "$30k+ project sold", or "weight 67 kg".

Then I usually split them into subgoals, like "weight 70 kg by the end of summer", "make the company attractive to bigger clients", "learn GIMP".

Inside those, I set recurring tasks to do something and usually have complete freedom with that. For example, for "learn GIMP" at first I've spent like 4 hours a day to get the basic, now I watch one random tutorial a week just to know what else out there and to get a better idea about the possibilities.

I usually don't have goals like do five workouts a week. My goals are all end-results-driven, except for one. I want to form a habit of walking at least 6 km every day. For keeping myself accountable, I have "max skip days" per quarter.

Recurring tasks in Todoist help me plan the day, and I usually do all of them. That's ok if I don't as the hitting subgoals matter much more.
@astr0 Outcome goals are good because they keep you accountable.
Projects are also good because these are things that are under your control and that make it possible to reach your goals.

I can understand how both have their advantages in different areas, I often see people advocating one or the other.

I think I'll trial a habit-driven approach for the second half of the year, then try a results-driven approach for the first half of 2021. It'll be interesting to see the difference in outcomes.

Thanks both for your input.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
My goals are for the most part based on "identities" that are important for me and guided by my values.

As of now, for the identities I have:
- Self
- Father
- Entrepreneur
- Connector

I start by the person I want to be and work backward to set goals. I have an overarching direction that I combine with 3 months' goals.

I have a mix of quantifiable and qualitative goals. One thing that helps me a lot is the OKR methodology (used a lot by the big tech company and that you can adapt to your personal life).

The example he gives is:
O: Have more quality family time as measured by:
KR1: Getting home for dinner by 6 pm, 20 nights a month.
KR2: Being present by turning off the internet router to eliminate distractions.

Have a look at OKRs, it might help you as well.

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
My goals are for the most part based on "identities" that are important for me and guided by my values.

As of now, for the identities I have:
- Self
- Father
- Entrepreneur
- Connector

I start by the person I want to be and work backward to set goals. I have an overarching direction that I combine with 3 months' goals.

I have a mix of quantifiable and qualitative goals. One thing that helps me a lot is the OKR methodology (used a lot by the big tech company and that you can adapt to your personal life).

The example he gives is:
O: Have more quality family time as measured by:
KR1: Getting home for dinner by 6 pm, 20 nights a month.
KR2: Being present by turning off the internet router to eliminate distractions.

Have a look at OKRs, it might help you as well.

That's really insightful, thanks. Now I just have to find myself some identities ;)

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
What about fitness/health goals? Or are those already integrated into your routine?
I see it a bit different.
My observation is that people even when they achieve their fitness/health goals
they slip back right after.
No to mention that in case of not achieving those goals it is taking toll on their self esteem.
(Its harder to go back to those goals after failure).

rocket99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I make my yearly goals in December for the following year and then I revisit my 5 and 10 year goals and see if they are still applicable and tweak as needed. My goals revolve around my business and vacationing. I want to grow X% this year and I want to go on X amount of trips. Then I proceed to write out a one page plan on how I am going to accomplish the growth and were exactly I want to go on vacation. Something about writing it down that makes a connection in your brain and subconsciously makes you accountable. I've hit my goals the last 5 years. I stay fit and find time for my family, so I don't really need to set goals there. Besides, the wifey would let me know if I wasn't fulfilling my obligation there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.