The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you effectively set goals?

Anything related to matters of the mind

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
I've been thinking lately, maybe the goals I'm setting for myself are too vague and not specific enough.

All successful people set goals, and people who set goals tend to be more successful.

For whatever reason, when you feed your mind a specific vision and goal things begin to align (or so I've read and been told).

So the question remains, how do you effectively set goals? How specific must they be?

I used to set goals like "Make X amount of dollars by this time, or get x amount of clients". However, those goals don't really resonate with me, they just seem too vague and meaningless.

For all you successful fastlaners who set goals and actually go and achieve them, what's your process behind it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
I've been thinking lately, maybe the goals I'm setting for myself are too vague and not specific enough.

All successful people set goals, and people who set goals tend to be more successful.

For whatever reason, when you feed your mind a specific vision and goal things begin to align (or so I've read and been told).

So the question remains, how do you effectively set goals? How specific must they be?

I used to set goals like "Make X amount of dollars by this time, or get x amount of clients". However, those goals don't really resonate with me, they just seem too vague and meaningless.

For all you successful fastlaners who set goals and actually go and achieve them, what's your process behind it?

Instead of setting goals which are out of your control, set goals which are.

For example, instead of "get x clients" set a goal of "make x phone calls".

With the first method, if your goal is 50 clients, then every day until you reach 50 you are failing. With the second method, you are hitting your goals every day. Mentally it makes a huge difference.

toxicrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Oct 20, 2016
AppStore & GooglePlay
Instead of setting goals which are out of your control, set goals which are.

For example, instead of "get x clients" set a goal of "make x phone calls".

With the first method, if your goal is 50 clients, then every day until you reach 50 you are failing. With the second method, you are hitting your goals every day. Mentally it makes a huge difference.

i would apply this to all your small but important tasks, like calls, emails, links, tasks.... which will grow into huge goal achievements over time.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
There's a video of arnold Schwarzenegger somewhere on the forum. Basically he became mister universe one rep at a time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
Well, I am not a successful fastlaner YET.Anyway, I want to share my two cents.:smile2:

So, you already know that your goals are vague.It is because you haven't specifically decided what you want.Do you?

There is a science which no one can cheat.Yeah, the math.Always, always make your goals with numbers.You can measure your progress if and only if, your goal contain some numerical value.Moreover, apply SMART principle to SHORT term goals.

Measuring progress is crucial because that is when you know, you are really moving forward,Isn't it?Do you agree with me?

May be you feel goal setting is useless because you are not tracking your progress.Or may be you are not taking consistent actions.Don't take on and off actions. Truly commit yourself 100%.Or may be you are not taking correct actions which MJ defines as "Action Faking"

If you haven't read the book 'compound effect' give it a shot.However, there the author's wisdom on finance is typical slowlane penny pinching :(

Jonathan Polley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 26, 2016
Valencia, Spain
Totally agree with what others have said, set goals which are in your control.

Set timescales to achieve those goals too. And if you have a big task that might take weeks, break down what you will do each day.

But more important that just setting goals, I feel. Is to track your achievements

I have a spreadsheet set up with my goals in. Then everyday I fill in a box, green, amber or red.
If all of my boxes are red, then I am being a lazy arse, or, my goals are too challenging.

If all my boxes are green then I know that my goals are not challenging enough and I can be doing more. So I make sure my goals are harder to attain.

But most importantly of all, don't just set goals for the sake of setting goals they need to serve a purpose.
So when setting goals, make sure they are SMART

S - specific, significant, stretching

M - measurable, meaningful, motivational

A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented

R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented

T - time-based, time-bound, timely, tangible, trackable

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria

mgrowan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 12, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
As mention S.M.A.R.T guidelines are good for defining them. One thing I heard 15 years ago and have heard from many successful people since is a Goal Card. Have them written down and carry them with you and read it many times a day. Phones make this easy to do now. Set it as your lock screen.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Totally agree with what others have said, set goals which are in your control.

Set timescales to achieve those goals too. And if you have a big task that might take weeks, break down what you will do each day.

But more important that just setting goals, I feel. Is to track your achievements

I have a spreadsheet set up with my goals in. Then everyday I fill in a box, green, amber or red.
If all of my boxes are red, then I am being a lazy arse, or, my goals are too challenging.

If all my boxes are green then I know that my goals are not challenging enough and I can be doing more. So I make sure my goals are harder to attain.

But most importantly of all, don't just set goals for the sake of setting goals they need to serve a purpose.
So when setting goals, make sure they are SMART

S - specific, significant, stretching

M - measurable, meaningful, motivational

A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented

R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented

T - time-based, time-bound, timely, tangible, trackable
I have done the same in the past but I either set goals that are unrealistic which mentally throws your mind in a NEGATIVE state of mind but at the same time I don't want to make goals that are not challenging enough... For example, say I knew an overall or long term event/goal I want to complete... I would set a timeframe then work backwards making a list of actions/steps needed to be taken to reach that goal. Then for each of those "major" steps/actions that I know are part of the process I break it down into "micro steps" basically to the point where somewhat like you I have a checklist/spreadsheet I complete being honest with myself at the end of each day.

I realize to have a goal of say creating $100,000 for example is fine but if you are completely new/in the process of reprogramming your mindset/outlook on life then common sense would say "you have to make $50,000 before $100,000" so I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Personally, how do you find a "middle ground" or set goals that are realistic yet challenging to achieve? Especially in a situation/experience you have never been before or have no idea where to start but you have the desire to start? Just pick something and run wild?

2. Do you set any "time limits" on your daily goals? A problem I have my brain only has 2 speeds, pedal to the floor going all out non stop OR being at a complete stop. I've tried everything from taking a break every say 1 hour all the way to crazy things such as when I start to hit of negative/discouragement taking running around the block then taking an ice cold shower... Then get back to work. The best method I have found that works for myself is setting an alarm to go off after 4 hours... During those 4 hours I turn off or separate myself from any distractions while I fall into my tunnel vision and go all out. I feel like 4 or even 6 hours of this all out is honestly equivalent to others 12 hours of work. After 4 hours I'm mentally exhausted so much no break or stimulants can get me in a productive state of mind (or even focus on reading a book). I don't watch TV or avoid anything to "pass time" that is not productive... At what point or any advice on how to either change my current methods OR how to "let loose/relax" when your so HUNGRY but are still figuring out what it is your going to dive into as a goal?

Sorry for the long post. Huge problem of mine which I have had to simply to the most crude/basic system to keep taking action as my spread sheet is currently shown in the pic... Lol

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20170123_084434.jpg
    IMG_20170123_084434.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 28

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Love the whiteboard. Love "worked HONESTLY on my goal/venture"
I appreciate it. Any/all advice I'm totally ears open... I have had to dumb it down from using spread sheets and apps on my smartphone as I feel in my current state a physical whiteboard and a physical old fashioned note card in my pocket is a way to avoid new email notifications or such when opening Evernote....

Today is day 1 for taking ACTION on my lifelong lifestyle change to the FASTLANE style... Not going to lie I am so eager to get moving but since 6 am until now I've been working on picking 3 of my ideas to run with... It's a tough change of mindset and I am thinking you can't juggle 3 things with 100% of your ambition at once... I guess what really is happening as I think about it is, I am looking for someone else's opinion or approval to say just do yada yada... Which I just answered my own question, I'm focused on only 1 now...

Again, any tips/personal advice on how to set goals/create or how you work most effectively throughout the day is more than welcome.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.