The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm going to wash windows for money tomorrow for the first time in my life. Any tips?

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Have you tried running google or facebook ads and having customers find you instead?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Have you tried running google or facebook ads and having customers find you instead?
No, not yet, however it's been heavily on my mind. I'll try it when my business gets registrated.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
No, not yet, however it's been heavily on my mind. I'll try it when my business gets registrated.
Get it all registered, set up your GMB and get reviews, buy @Andy Black course, get a nice website for $300 or build it yourself, run google ads and Google Local Services Ads, and you'll be reaching hundreds of people per day WHO ARE ALREADY LOOKING FOR YOUR SERVICE instead of 10 who don't give a shit about their windows. You can also offer power washing, house exterior cleaning, Christmas lights and so on. Now you're not just a kid who's trying to make some pocket change, but a legit company. You'll be able to charge more money and get more jobs. You can also use something like responsibid to let people get quotes and book jobs right on your website.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
edit: oops, accidentally sent too soon

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
YOO OMGHAG GAJ G HJSG HIOGAS OIJUHASG JOHASG JHOASG OHIJU
spgijoas pojdgapjo asgpjklo apjo pjoia fjpoi

I MADE OVER 100€ TODAY!!!!!

I'd like to thank everybody who helped me reach this massive milestone.
*takes a sip of wine*

Okay jokes aside!

Here's what happened:
I went outside in my city, to the center. I asked a thai massage lady and she gave me a job for 15€.
While doing the exterior windows, another lady (customer) came and asked me for my number :smuggy: (and I gave her a call later and it looks good, she'll give more info soon on the potential residential job). She gave me a 5€ tip (in total: 20€). I think she wanted another job in a month.

Then I went to the carpet (cleaner, idk?) and I got a job for 25€. He asked me to hurry and started cleaning the windows with me (LOLOLOL). He also gave me a 5€ tip (total 30€)!
I don't remember what he said about me visiting him again, however I'll just go see him again when I see the Thai lady.

Then I went to a burger place and the owner wasn't there. The worker told me that I could do the exterior windows for 10€ but I insisted on 15€. I'm gonna go there next Tuesday when the chef's there.

After that I went to nail-thingy and got a job for 15€. While doing it, another shop owner saw me and asked me to do her windows. Finished it and got a 2€ tip lol (total: 17€). I think I should come back in 2-4 months or so?

Then I went to the other lady and did the job for 15€ bucks. She was also pleased and didn't give me a tip tho (total: 15€).

After that I noticed that my bucket was F*cking filthy and I went to the town center's toilets (ABSOLUTELY ABYSMALLY DISGUSTING TOILETS, the school toilets seem like pure luxus in contrast).
There, I wanted to fill my water back up but the sink was too small so I shoveled it into my bucket and tried other weird shit haha. Then an old man came in (I felt like he didn't even know I was in there when he walked past me) and I decided that it was enough lmfao.

Then I went to the historical part of the city and pretty much all shops were closed there by the time.
I saw a hookah (or shisha) bar and asked there. It said "Entry only for 18+" but I went in anyways. I said 25€ but he didn't accept, I lowered to 20€ then, same case. I then went to the partner/twin club thingy and when I got rejected and walked out, the shisha guy approached me. He asked why I was doing it.
I explained my dramatic background as a Mongolian child warrior (I actually told him my actual reason) and I got him on my hook. He was still sceptical since he didn't know if I was really professional and I lowered his risk by saying "You don't have to pay me if I do a bad job" and he INSTANTLY accepted it. I kinda struggled with those windows and thought to myself "Shit, these windows look worse than before lol". They were black tinted and had many cracks and whatnot.
I finished the job and he was amazed (apparently, maybe he just really roots for me?) and gave me 20€, although in ten 2€ coins, maybe he actually hates me? He told me to come back next week, same day!! (total: 20€)

ALL TOTAL: 102€ !!!

While scouting for another job (which I didn't find anymore) a man literally like drove up to me and wanted to give me a job:
"If you clean the entrance in my building every saturday, you'll get 13€ an hour".
I told him that the job was too far away and he told me that he'd even drive me!
He left me his information and we parted ways. He also told me that it'd probably take 6-7 hours and that we could talk about the pay (specifically after he's seen my work).
What do you guys think? I'm really not too sure on this.

Then I went home!

@Subsonic hear that ;) ?

Thank you guys for everything! It was really fun again and I'll definitely continue!!!

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 8, 2022

*takes a sip of wine*

Okay jokes aside!

Here's what happened:
I went outside in my city, to the center. I asked a thai massage lady and she gave me a job for 15€.
While doing the exterior windows, another lady (customer) came and asked me for my number :smuggy: (and I gave her a call later and it looks good, she'll give more info soon on the potential residential job). She gave me a 5€ tip (in total: 20€). I think she wanted another job in a month.

Then I went to the carpet (cleaner, idk?) and I got a job for 25€. He asked me to hurry and started cleaning the windows with me (LOLOLOL). He also gave me a 5€ tip (total 30€)!
I don't remember what he said about me visiting him again, however I'll just go see him again when I see the Thai lady.

Then I went to a burger place and the owner wasn't there. The worker told me that I could do the exterior windows for 10€ but I insisted on 15€. I'm gonna go there next Tuesday when the chef's there.

After that I went to nail-thingy and got a job for 15€. While doing it, another shop owner saw me and asked me to do her windows. Finished it and got a 2€ tip lol (total: 17€). I think I should come back in 2-4 months or so?

Then I went to the other lady and did the job for 15€ bucks. She was also pleased and didn't give me a tip tho (total: 15€).

After that I noticed that my bucket was F*cking filthy and I went to the town center's toilets (ABSOLUTELY ABYSMALLY DISGUSTING TOILETS, the school toilets seem like pure luxus in contrast).
There, I wanted to fill my water back up but the sink was too small so I shoveled it into my bucket and tried other weird shit haha. Then an old man came in (I felt like he didn't even know I was in there when he walked past me) and I decided that it was enough lmfao.

Then I went to the historical part of the city and pretty much all shops were closed there by the time.
I saw a hookah (or shisha) bar and asked there. It said "Entry only for 18+" but I went in anyways. I said 25€ but he didn't accept, I lowered to 20€ then, same case. I then went to the partner/twin club thingy and when I got rejected and walked out, the shisha guy approached me. He asked why I was doing it.
I explained my dramatic background as a Mongolian child warrior (I actually told him my actual reason) and I got him on my hook. He was still sceptical since he didn't know if I was really professional and I lowered his risk by saying "You don't have to pay me if I do a bad job" and he INSTANTLY accepted it. I kinda struggled with those windows and thought to myself "Shit, these windows look worse than before lol". They were black tinted and had many cracks and whatnot.
I finished the job and he was amazed (apparently, maybe he just really roots for me?) and gave me 20€, although in ten 2€ coins, maybe he actually hates me? He told me to come back next week, same day!! (total: 20€)

While scouting for another job (which I didn't find anymore) a man literally like drove up to me and wanted to give me a job:
"If you clean the entrance in my building every saturday, you'll get 13€ an hour".
I told him that the job was too far away and he told me that he'd even drive me!
He left me his information and we parted ways. He also told me that it'd probably take 6-7 hours and that we could talk about the pay (specifically after he's seen my work).

Then I went home!

@Subsonic hear that ;) ?

Thank you guys for everything! It was really fun again and I'll definitely continue!!!
Wow that's very inspiring. Congrats!

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

*takes a sip of wine*

Okay jokes aside!

Here's what happened:

Then I went home!

@Subsonic hear that ;) ?

Lets go man.
One tip is to spent your money on ads (flyers or google) so you have more authority. That way you can charge actual money for the jobs. I made 140€ with one job today for example.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I have wrist pain now haha. Not sure if it's due to the washing or becasuse I slept badly. Could be both.
(I'm typing this with one hand)

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Remember the first day you doubted yourself? It's gone now. Congrats on breaking this barrier. Your next 100 euro a day will come easier. Then 200 euro a day and onwards.

I commend you for not giving up. Now you have the momentum to keep snowballing. Keep it up!

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
a man literally like drove up to me and wanted to give me a job:
I don't really know on this, but I'll give you some thoughts.

If you think that this is a security risk then don't do it.

Also, notice that he is treating you like an employee. He has offered you an hourly rate and said that you can talk about pay after he has seen your work.

Ideally, you want to be treated as a sub-contractor. (You're the expert window cleaner, not him) So you should quote for the work and he should accept / decline / negotiate the quote. It should be up to you to tell him how long the job is going to take. Also cleaning the entrance to the building might not just be windows. This could turn out to be a problem, if you want to scale your business, because you probably want to specialize. So create a business to be very good at cleaning windows and nothing else.

On the other hand, if this person is a local entrepreneur, working with them might lead to referrals and networking opportunities, it might not.

If you have this person's address details, have you tried looking for this address on Google Streetview? I know that many parts of Germany are not on Streetview, for legal reasons, but if you're lucky you might be able to get a view of the front of the building without having to go there. This might give you some more ideas about what the job might entail.

I think that if it was me, I would try to visit the location and then produce a quote for the work to do the windows. I would include in the quote my transport costs. (It doesn't have to be explicit, just factor it in). So the cost of a bus fare or train cost or a petrol contribution for a parent or a mate. Then submit the quote. To make it worth while it might be worth trying to get a recurring agreement. So you agree to do those windows every 2/4/6/8 weeks or so. This would allow you to plan your own transport. Also if it doesn't take you 6 or 7 hours to do the windows, you don't want to be hanging around waiting for that businessman to bring you home or take you to your next job. (Because your transportation, once you are on site, isn't going to be a high priority for him.)

You'll need to contact the potential client before you put the quote together to find out how often they would want the windows cleaned and whether there are any special requirements. (eg. working at height)

Eg. Say if you want to charge EUR 25 per hour, and you think that you can do the windows in say 2.5 hours and that transport costs are EUR 10 each way (I think that should be EUR 82.50) then you might quote something like:
Window cleaning: EUR 95 one-off
or EUR 85 on a subscription basis for one clean every four weeks with say a four week notice period.
or EUR 170 on a subscription basis for one clean every two weeks with a four week notice period.

I hope that you will get some views from other people as well.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Update to the job proposal:

I met up with him at his company. He told me that I'd get 13,5€/hour at first, after that we could talk about increasement, etc.
I'd go to the company building, get picked up and do the other buildings in other cities yada yada yada

Anyways I rejected the offer (I still feel kinda guilty). He was trying pretty persistently to get me on board, asking me when I have time, if another day could do it for me, etc.

(From here on, it's just my personal rambling:
I'm generally kinda conflicted about this since he either:
-tried to get me on board really bad because he thought he'd do both of us a favour (maybe he roots for me?)
or:
-the window washing industry is so abysmally garbage/high in demand that he couldn't find anybody else (for a reasonable price?)

Perhaps his company is not doing well but really needs their windows get done?

AHHH WHY AM I OVERTHINKING THIS.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada

I met up with him at his company. He told me that I'd get 13,5€/hour at first, after that we could talk about increasement, etc.
I'd go to the company building, get picked up and do the other buildings in other cities yada yada yada

Anyways I rejected the offer (I still feel kinda guilty). He was trying pretty persistently to get me on board, asking me when I have time, if another day could do it for me, etc.

-tried to get me on board really bad because he thought he'd do both of us a favour (maybe he roots for me?)
or:
-the window washing industry is so abysmally garbage/high in demand that he couldn't find anybody else (for a reasonable price?)

he saw a kid and respects the hustle so he wanted to give you a job

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
he saw a kid and respects the hustle so he wanted to give you a job
Could very well be.
The impression I got however really makes me think...

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 23, 2022
Could very well be.
The impression I got however really makes me think...
You could take the job for a couple of weeks and ask him if he would be willing to give you a great review? You could leverage that review to look more professional and land clients at better prices.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
You could take the job for a couple of weeks and ask him if he would be willing to give you a great review? You could leverage that review to look more professional and land clients at better prices.
Thanks for the great thought! I think I'll pass on that though.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Today's plan:

-Go to industry part of the city, ask car dealerships, etc.

Weather: not the worst, but it's slightly raining, which will probably make my job harder...

ps: I'll be walking like 8 kms ("kilometers per second", not "kill myself") with a full water bucket, wish me luck!!

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Today's plan:

-Go to industry part of the city, ask car dealerships, etc.

Weather: not the worst, but it's slightly raining, which will probably make my job harder...

ps: I'll be walking like 8 kms ("kilometers per second", not "kill myself") with a full water bucket, wish me luck!!
Phew, I'm already back

The bucket was so damn heavy and I took the bus like 2 times because of it.

My main goal was the industrious city part, however I didn't really enter it (I was on the door step).
The reason was that I asked a car shop (on the door step of the industry) and he
1. Already had a whole cleaning company
2. (and most importantly) he asked me if I had a company registered

And considering that the other buildings/car dealerships/etc. are similar, I think I'll wait until then (when I finally registered my company).

I'm still unsure what I'm gonna do tomorrow to be honest.

Subsonic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Phew, I'm already back

My main goal was the industrious city part, however I didn't really enter it (I was on the door step).
The reason was that I asked a car shop (on the door step of the industry) and he
1. Already had a whole cleaning company
2. (and most importantly) he asked me if I had a company registered

And considering that the other buildings/car dealerships/etc. are similar, I think I'll wait until then (when I finally registered my company).

I'm still unsure what I'm gonna do tomorrow to be honest.
Flyers.
My experience has been that 250 bring one customer on average.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

*takes a sip of wine*

Okay jokes aside!

Here's what happened:

Then I went home!

@Subsonic hear that ;) ?

You carry with your phone with you yes? Make sure you put appointments on your calendar app to call the people. Put their phone numbers directly into the appointment.

Follow up follow up follow up.

Time to get organized.

or:

He offered you a job. You want to own a business.

You have goals and you are sticking to them. Don't feel bad about that.

It is fine to turn down good opportunities if they don't get you closer to your goal.

Move on, and keep going.

Good work @piano !

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England

Any reason you are walking around with a bucket full of water? All businesses have a tap somewhere on their premises.

It's 20 Euros to do the windows, 15 if I can use your water ;)

Whatever your figure, have a difference of 5 Euros and a cheeky smile.

Dan

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Try Nextdoor.com. Sign up and just post saying that you do window cleaning and you will get at least 1 person who will message you

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Any reason you are walking around with a bucket full of water? All businesses have a tap somewhere on their premises.

It's 20 Euros to do the windows, 15 if I can use your water ;)

Whatever your figure, have a difference of 5 Euros and a cheeky smile.

Dan
That's smart...
Thanks! I think I'll do it that way from now on.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Try Nextdoor.com. Sign up and just post saying that you do window cleaning and you will get at least 1 person who will message you
Thanks for the tip!
I might try it out, though I don't think it's that popular in Germany, although I'll do my research on it.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Maaaaaan, today sucked.
I've been sick this whole week but still went to the windows for the guy who wanted me to do it every Saturday.
I got there earlier and started working. I was done with more than 50% and the owner casually drops that he apparently never told me to do his windows every Saturday.
The walk was long, heavy and hot (we have warm weather rn in Germany) and my nose was DYING (since I'm sick).

Yeah F*ck this, F*ck this sickness, F*ck this guy, F*ck the McDonalds Ice cream machine, F*ck everything.
I'll just try to chill for the rest of the day, it's not like I can do anything else in my current state.

dominicmarcu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Mar 11, 2023
England
Maaaaaan, today sucked.
I've been sick this whole week but still went to the windows for the guy who wanted me to do it every Saturday.
I got there earlier and started working. I was done with more than 50% and the owner casually drops that he apparently never told me to do his windows every Saturday.
The walk was long, heavy and hot (we have warm weather rn in Germany) and my nose was DYING (since I'm sick).

Yeah F*ck this, F*ck this sickness, F*ck this guy, F*ck the McDonalds Ice cream machine, F*ck everything.
I'll just try to chill for the rest of the day, it's not like I can do anything else in my current state.
Don't let it stop you, keep up the hard work!

Subsonic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Maaaaaan, today sucked.

I feel you. The widows at the house I was doing were so bad that my tools were all useless. I had to grab vinegar acid and a hard sponge to get that disgusting black stuff off the rooftop windows.

Anyways respect that your going out there, door to door and working even when your sick.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Maaaaaan, today sucked.

im sorry but this is funny asf

grow the business enough that you can buy a lambo in 2 years. then drive by his broke a$$ shop and flex on him

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Alright I think I'll be going to another city today. There are many little shops and the weather is nice.
I could go there by bus (or walk, but I'm not walking 20kms, I randomly did a 100 squads last Sunday too...) but to be completely honest with you guys, I am scared of being judged on the bus. This might sound autistic but I'm just being completely honest. I shouldn't care about that but my dumb head does so anyways. I might ask a parent if he can drive me there.
Wish me luck...

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Alright I think I'll be going to another city today. There are many little shops and the weather is nice.
I could go there by bus (or walk, but I'm not walking 20kms, I randomly did a 100 squads last Sunday too...) but to be completely honest with you guys, I am scared of being judged on the bus. This might sound autistic but I'm just being completely honest. I shouldn't care about that but my dumb head does so anyways. I might ask a parent if he can drive me there.
Wish me luck...

This is awesome, for some reason I didn't see your €100 update.

First let me say well done for sticking to the process, it sounds like you are learning valuable lessons along the way. Not just about the business of cleaning itself, but also about building relationships and organising your business (definitely take Bizydad's advice about using your phones appointment features).

As far as the job is concerned, it sounds like it would have taken too much time and net you less money than sticking with what you're doing at the moment. The next time you get offered something like that, make a counter-offer based on terms more favourable to you.

So for instance, if someone is offering you €13.50 per hour for six hours on a Saturday, you could remind them you have other clients and offer them a shorter amount of time, or increased rate. You need to work out what your ideal daily rate is, can you replicate that one hundred euro day? can you beat it? If someone wants to take up your whole day, don't be afraid at telling them what your day rate is. If they can't afford it, perhaps you can offer a reduced rate on a contract basis, so if they agree to use you for a certain amount of time, you will reduce by a small percentage.

Lastly when you're on the bus, people are more likely to be thinking "Wow! That kid is so ambitious he doesn't wait till he can drive to start his business. Man, what am I doing with my life?"

Seriously don't worry about it and even if they are judging you, so what? It's a silent judgement you'll never hear and will not affect you one little bit.

A famous man once said, "you'll stop caring what people think about you, once you realise how little they do."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.