The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm going to wash windows for money tomorrow for the first time in my life. Any tips?

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
UPADET

I MADE 145€ TODAY!!!!!!!

I asked my dad and he said he could drive me, later then said that he didn't have enough time to drop me into City-1 because of an appointement in City-2. I asked him if he could drop me off in City-2 and so he did. I was kinda slightly scared/excited again (I don't know why) and I did my pitches, laughed with people, concentrated on the conversations, body language, etc.

The first job was from a pretty lady and I did her front windows in her shop. I counted 8 windows and told her each window was 2-3€ or something. Turned out, it was actually 10 windows lol. Anyways quickly did the job and got some nice 25€.

I pitched a glasses shop and joked that I wasn't here because of my own glasses, then a funny misunderstanding came, etc. I think I quoted the job inside and outside for 84€. He told me he'd ask the manager/boss.

Then there was a restaurant for which I'll get 70€ (iirc) for the outside windows. I'm supposed to come next Monday.

Then I went into another shop and something very interesting happened. It was an Italian-like restaurant and the owner was like in his 20s lol. He was similar to the shisha bar guy, aka probably Albanian/Italian or something in that direction and I pitched him my story (although not as intensely as the shisha guy lmfao) and left my number. The interesting thing was that the waiters were like totally on my side. They tried to persuade/help the boss with me, and it was really interesting. I wonder why. Was it because I was so young and ambitious or do I just have some serious rizz?
I went into the shop next door, got rejected and then immediately called by the Italian rest. owner.
I went into his rest. and he gave me this offer:
-Every 2 weeks go to one of the franchise locations and clean windows inside and out.
-60€, pay can be talked about, but first wants to see my work/reliability
-Also clean 2 fresh looking mirrors.
The way he told me and showed me the offer was kinda scary haha. We went into the cellar and I was scared I'd get human trafficked haha. The cellar looked really slick and expensive, the 2 mirrors were there.
I'm still thinking about it.
He also said that he has many connections, interesting. What do you think?
One of the waiters offered me a capuccino (how tf you write that word lol) and I thankfully declined.
I also feel like I slowly get the mentality of the "Shisha-owner"-customer.
This is just really rough and vague, but I believe that they like a certain narrative (helping the hustling boy) and offering me an offer that's not too good in my view but they think they helped me despite the fact that the pay is comparitively low ("but good for a 16yo").
Or in other words, fire the normie window cleaner and replace with the hustling boy, but pay him slightly less, but still feeling great and having got a great deal for yourself.
That's just a theory though. Moving on to the magnum opus of this post! -->

Then I was walking around and a Thai lady (again lol) approached me. She wanted to get her residential windows be done. She was really supportive, asking me my age and then praising me.
Anyways, we arrived at her quite impressive flat and asked me to do the windows. The windows were probably 5 meters high, on a motherfucking balcony and SIDEWAYS. The railing on the balconey was as big as your average 1st grader... I needed to use their ladder and honestly didn't have the perfect tools. (I sure need to get a Moerman Excelerator soon...) Considering it was the 3rd or 4th floor, I'd be absolutely F*cked if I fell down. Oh, the sun was also DIRECTLY shining at the window. I mean like, the frickn ANGLE of the SUN was PARRALLEL TO THE GLASS. That's not good, the soap and water dries at the glass.
I was sweating really bad because of the sun and the fact that it was really tedious and, well, trying to not fall off the ladder.
I spent 3 hours on like 12 windows. 3 hours. Either way I got it finished and got 120€.

Total: 145€

I feel so frickn good right now.
I feel like my personality is thriving right now.

Thank you guys for all the encouragement and help!!!!
This is awesome, for some reason I didn't see your €100 update.
Hm, weird. @heavy_industry also hasn't reacted ever since... I'm glad you saw it now though!
First let me say well done for sticking to the process, it sounds like you are learning valuable lessons along the way. Not just about the business of cleaning itself, but also about building relationships and organising your business (definitely take Bizydad's advice about using your phones appointment features).

As far as the job is concerned, it sounds like it would have taken too much time and net you less money than sticking with what you're doing at the moment. The next time you get offered something like that, make a counter-offer based on terms more favourable to you.

So for instance, if someone is offering you €13.50 per hour for six hours on a Saturday, you could remind them you have other clients and offer them a shorter amount of time, or increased rate. You need to work out what your ideal daily rate is, can you replicate that one hundred euro day? can you beat it? If someone wants to take up your whole day, don't be afraid at telling them what your day rate is. If they can't afford it, perhaps you can offer a reduced rate on a contract basis, so if they agree to use you for a certain amount of time, you will reduce by a small percentage.

Lastly when you're on the bus, people are more likely to be thinking "Wow! That kid is so ambitious he doesn't wait till he can drive to start his business. Man, what am I doing with my life?"

Seriously don't worry about it and even if they are judging you, so what? It's a silent judgement you'll never hear and will not affect you one little bit.

A famous man once said, "you'll stop caring what people think about you, once you realise how little they do."
Thank you so much for the great advice! Yeah, you're right. Most people will know that I'm more hardworking than them (whether consciously or subconsiously) and might actually feel worse because of that. I'm not trying to say that I feel superior to the others btw.

Either way, next week are gonna be holidays.
3 WEEKS LONG.

Cya guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Excellent job bro!

This is what happens when you don't give up like the rest of the losers, and you keep trying. Eventually you hit the mark.

You won't be cleaning windows your entire life. But the determination that you build right now will carry over into the future and help you in your next business ventures.

This kind of subscription-based service is exactly what you're looking for. Return customers are the best - you no longer need the sales pitch to make money.

Please be careful with what situations you're getting into, and be extremely careful when cleaning windows on higher floors. Invest as much money as you need in all the equipment necessary to perform this task safely.

Not only will the pro equipment ensure your safety, which is the top priority, but it will make you look even more professional and will perhaps increase sales.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Then I was walking around and a Thai lady (again lol) approached me. She wanted to get her residential windows be done.
;)

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
UPADET

I MADE 145€ TODAY!!!!!!!

I asked my dad and he said he could drive me, later then said that he didn't have enough time to drop me into City-1 because of an appointement in City-2. I asked him if he could drop me off in City-2 and so he did. I was kinda slightly scared/excited again (I don't know why) and I did my pitches, laughed with people, concentrated on the conversations, body language, etc.

The first job was from a pretty lady and I did her front windows in her shop. I counted 8 windows and told her each window was 2-3€ or something. Turned out, it was actually 10 windows lol. Anyways quickly did the job and got some nice 25€.

I pitched a glasses shop and joked that I wasn't here because of my own glasses, then a funny misunderstanding came, etc. I think I quoted the job inside and outside for 84€. He told me he'd ask the manager/boss.

Then there was a restaurant for which I'll get 70€ (iirc) for the outside windows. I'm supposed to come next Monday.

Then I went into another shop and something very interesting happened. It was an Italian-like restaurant and the owner was like in his 20s lol. He was similar to the shisha bar guy, aka probably Albanian/Italian or something in that direction and I pitched him my story (although not as intensely as the shisha guy lmfao) and left my number. The interesting thing was that the waiters were like totally on my side. They tried to persuade/help the boss with me, and it was really interesting. I wonder why. Was it because I was so young and ambitious or do I just have some serious rizz?
I went into the shop next door, got rejected and then immediately called by the Italian rest. owner.
I went into his rest. and he gave me this offer:
-Every 2 weeks go to one of the franchise locations and clean windows inside and out.
-60€, pay can be talked about, but first wants to see my work/reliability
-Also clean 2 fresh looking mirrors.
The way he told me and showed me the offer was kinda scary haha. We went into the cellar and I was scared I'd get human trafficked haha. The cellar looked really slick and expensive, the 2 mirrors were there.
I'm still thinking about it.
He also said that he has many connections, interesting. What do you think?
One of the waiters offered me a capuccino (how tf you write that word lol) and I thankfully declined.
I also feel like I slowly get the mentality of the "Shisha-owner"-customer.
This is just really rough and vague, but I believe that they like a certain narrative (helping the hustling boy) and offering me an offer that's not too good in my view but they think they helped me despite the fact that the pay is comparitively low ("but good for a 16yo").
Or in other words, fire the normie window cleaner and replace with the hustling boy, but pay him slightly less, but still feeling great and having got a great deal for yourself.
That's just a theory though. Moving on to the magnum opus of this post! -->

Then I was walking around and a Thai lady (again lol) approached me. She wanted to get her residential windows be done. She was really supportive, asking me my age and then praising me.
Anyways, we arrived at her quite impressive flat and asked me to do the windows. The windows were probably 5 meters high, on a motherfucking balcony and SIDEWAYS. The railing on the balconey was as big as your average 1st grader... I needed to use their ladder and honestly didn't have the perfect tools. (I sure need to get a Moerman Excelerator soon...) Considering it was the 3rd or 4th floor, I'd be absolutely F*cked if I fell down. Oh, the sun was also DIRECTLY shining at the window. I mean like, the frickn ANGLE of the SUN was PARRALLEL TO THE GLASS. That's not good, the soap and water dries at the glass.
I was sweating really bad because of the sun and the fact that it was really tedious and, well, trying to not fall off the ladder.
I spent 3 hours on like 12 windows. 3 hours. Either way I got it finished and got 120€.

Total: 145€

I feel so frickn good right now.
I feel like my personality is thriving right now.

Thank you guys for all the encouragement and help!!!!

Hm, weird. @heavy_industry also hasn't reacted ever since... I'm glad you saw it now though!

Thank you so much for the great advice! Yeah, you're right. Most people will know that I'm more hardworking than them (whether consciously or subconsiously) and might actually feel worse because of that. I'm not trying to say that I feel superior to the others btw.

Either way, next week are gonna be holidays.
3 WEEKS LONG.

Cya guys!
Man your outworking me now haha.
I gotta get my ads up quickly to keep up.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
This is so good! I'm very happy for you as I knew if you kept up with your enthusiasm things would start to pay off. Please be careful with the jobs you take, no job is worth risking serious injury or worse. Also make sure to invest back in the company and save as much as you can (you'll need that for your next business!).

Do me a favour now, go back and read your first two posts in this thread. Think about the young man writing them, think about the mindset you had then, compared to now. Reflect on your journey so far and let it guide you going forward, there will be many more successes and failures along the way which will enable you to keep growing.

Can't wait for the next update!

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Plan for today:

I wanted to hit the bus just right now, but the time's too short. I'll be going in a few minutes to catch the next one (UPDATE WTF I JUST CHECKED THE BUS TIME AND I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IT EASILY BUT F*ckING GMAPS TOLD ME THE WRONG TIME).
I'll be going to to City-1, as I wanted yesterday. Plan will be to hit up Thai women again shops, little restaurants and so on.

Do me a favour now, go back and read your first two posts in this thread. Think about the young man writing them, think about the mindset you had then, compared to now. Reflect on your journey so far and let it guide you going forward, there will be many more successes and failures along the way which will enable you to keep growing.
I did that yesterday and it was pretty interesting. It was kinda nostalgic and satisfying in comparison to now.
The difference I see? The @piano back then was more depressed and really, really uncertain. The current @piano is less depressed (quite happy actually) and more confident, both Sales and personality.
Although in the core of the comparison, not much has actually changed.
I was somebody who kept scoring Ls but still kept going. Maybe not as fast as others, but still

oh shit I F*cked the timing for the bus up again
Cya!!!

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Update:

I made 75€ today

-So uh, yeah, I kinda had to leave because I'm not able to read bus-plans properly, but everything went ok! I actually got on time for the bus, but realised I was on the wrong station and went home again. There, my mom was willing to drive me to City-1. From there on, I explored the historical city part and got my first job after a bit of pitching:

-I went to a lady and would do her exterior for 20 bucks and she wasn't willing at first, but I added value by removing the cobwebs and she agreed. I did a good job and I I got a tip I think.

She told me to come back in 6-8 weeks.
Total: 25€

-While I was doing the first lady (wait, that sounds so F*cking wrong)

-While I was working for the first lady, the owner of another shop I pitched earlier arrived and I negotiated the price with him. I told him 40 bucks for inside+outside but he was kinda tough (although we did kinda had a fun convo). He wanted me to do it for 30 but I wasn't doing it. I tried to add the cobwebs as added value, but he was like "Bitch, I worked a cleaning job myself. You're gonna need to remove them anyways" :rofl:.
Anyways, I somehow managed to get the price to 35 bucks and he agreed. The thing that really made me dig that deal was the fact that he owned a few other shops, and one inside the small mall from City-1 (for the Americans, a "mall" is not a mall in Germany, aka, it's not bigger than your frickn city lmfao).
Anyways, he said he'd contact me the next day if I'd do well.
I did the job, it was really tough tho, some annoying windows.
I did my best although I think I'll need to get a bronze wool pad soon.
Total: 35€

After that I went into many shops.
One shop had a pretty and young woman in it and she rooted me for. "I wish you much luck"
Oh and there was also another pretty woman...
-shit, I'll need to get back on track haha

-After that I went into a book store and did a few windows for 15 bucks. The lady wasn't the owner but she rooted for me and paid from her pocket to "surprise her chef with actually clean back windows".

Total: 15€

After that I went pitching many other stores. Some hot looking leads (no, I don't mean the before-mentioned women) and many cold ones.
Either way, after a grueling amount of time of searching for jobs, it was getting dark and I approached my last 2 shops. One was a hair-stylist and I think I'll do her windows inside/out for 80 bucks? Can't remember properly, wrote it down on my phone. And the other one was a restaurant. Front windows for 60€ I think. Lol, I feel like I went high with that price. 24 small windows (from French windows).
Either way, I'll drop there next Tuesday.

The biz is looking really good so far!
Thanks guys for the continuous support!

(lol let's finish my reply now).
... Maybe not as fast as others, but still, it's okay, I made it regardless, the result counts.
I'd say the only actual difference is that I am still determined as I was before, but I am now more open-minded. I am more confident in my ability. All that stuff you guys talk about, it slowly clicks more and more inside my brain.
Before I made decent sales, I was like "Shit, what if I don't make it? I'm scared", now I am like "This is looking good, just a little bit more and I could technically even live by myself. It's still scary but let's push through regardless"

PS: I also feel like my people skills slowly get better and better, as in I am more and more able to speak with people that aren't on my "wavelength".
My "shift" started at 3pm, basically ended at 7pm and got into a bus half an hour later.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
I went to a lady and would do her exterior for 20 bucks
One shop had a pretty and young woman in it and she rooted me for. "I wish you much luck"

On second thought I think it might be a good idea to put some of my projects on hold, and start cleaning windows part-time.

You know, just as a way to raise more money for my business.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
All these ladies paying you handsomely, save some for us man! :rofl:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
-I went to a lady and would do her exterior for 20 bucks and she wasn't willing at first, but I added value by removing the cobwebs and she agreed. I did a good job and I I got a tip I think.
She told me to come back in 6-8 weeks.
Excellent! Love the fact you are now not taking the first no as the final answer.

LOL! :rofl:

-While I was working for the first lady, the owner of another shop I pitched earlier arrived and I negotiated the price with him. I told him 40 bucks for inside+outside but he was kinda tough (although we did kinda had a fun convo). He wanted me to do it for 30 but I wasn't doing it. I tried to add the cobwebs as added value, but he was like "Bitch, I worked a cleaning job myself. You're gonna need to remove them anyways" :rofl:.
Anyways, I somehow managed to get the price to 35 bucks and he agreed. The thing that really made me dig that deal was the fact that he owned a few other shops,

This is great, you are learning negotiation tactics and also putting your own personality into it, which people seem to be responding to. Now when you do your sales pitch, it is not a scary thing you have to say to a stranger; it is instead a fun business conversation you are having with potential clients.

I did my best although I think I'll need to get a bronze wool pad soon.

How much is it? Get it now! You have made enough, put profits back into the business and grow it.

Either way, I'll drop there next Tuesday.

Make sure you do and if you have not done so already, sort your appointments book out so that you can have a clear indication of future business.

You don't want to start double booking and having to let people down.

but I am now more open-minded. I am more confident in my ability

Exactly, you are the same person, the people you are talking to are the same but now your mindset has put you into a place of confidence!

"This is looking good, just a little bit more and I could technically even live by myself.
Do not rush this! It sounds like you get on well with your parents (I bet they've been discussing how proud they are of you at the moment), don't leave for the sake of leaving.

Remember the money you are making now is going far, because you don't have to pay rent, utility bills, food, etc. Once you leave, you HAVE to make a certain amount to survive. For now just enjoy making money with no responsibility.

PS: I also feel like my people skills slowly get better and better, as in I am more and more able to speak with people that aren't on my "wavelength".

Yup, you are basically developing your sales pitch. Some people never do this, so you should feel good that you're developing in this area. Keep working at it and make notes on what works and what doesn't.

-shit, I'll need to get back on track haha

Women (and men) find endeavour attractive. You could be the most handsome person in the world, but if you are lazy and have no ambition, somebody who might not be as physically attractive as you will 'get the girl'.

Good luck and keep grinding!

ambitio

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jan 21, 2023
Germany
ps: I'll be walking like 8 kms ("kilometers per second", not "kill myself") with a full water bucket, wish me luck!!
I'll be walking like eight kilometers per second xD. That's like 480 km/h. lol (well I don't know how to do maths... Omg forgot that minutes exist, it's 28.800 )

You must be really motivated to walk that fast :D

Anyways, your are really inspiring me, so thank you for that. :)

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
UPDATE

Yesterday (Monday) total: 51€

Today total : 200€

I frickn set a record again!!!

For anybody who is interested in reading how and why, read further:

Yesterday:
I got dropped off at the restaurant I was supposed to come to. It was meant for 70 bucks, but he told me he wanted less done (and I think I also charged 3€ per window and not 3,5€ that day accidentally) so it was 51€. Did the job, and got back home per ride. I wanted to use my time differently that day, so that was it. Oh and they want me to come for the interior next friday.
Total: 51€

Today:
I had 2 scheduled jobs.
I went to my first job per ride and did it. The owner told me that she recruited me because I looked young. She was very happy with my work/effort and gave me a 10€ tip!
Total: 90€

Then I went to the second job but the guy said he didn't order me. In short, it apparently was a misunderstanding but he let me work anyways. I said that 40€ were ok (it was supposed to be 60€).
I was pretty distraught and felt sorry. Anyways, I did the job and did a few additional windows with his accordance. My guy then says that he was a window cleaner himself and I let him show me. He was!
He said he wanted me for the job because he wanted to help me (as a fellow window cleaner).
In the end, it seemed ok and he pat me on the back, joked a bit around and gave me a 15€ "tip".
Total: 55€

I wasn't totally sure if I'd find another job after that (since I already scouted through that area last week) but I found a few other shops I hadn't visited yet. I pitched a few but no luck.
I changed my approach a little bit, bringing in some jokes, etc.
The first shop that I pitched after that mindset shift gave me a job! I was standing in the shop, in front of the old lady and said "I bet you can't guess what I am going to ask you!"
And she gave me some F*cking 200IQ comeback and absolutely destroyed me HAHAHA.
I left the shop unsuccesfully and went into the next. After I got rejected there and left the shop, the previous lady was standing there and asked me what the price was or something like that. I negotiated a bit and did the exterior for 20€. Was a really cool encounter.
Total: 20€

A shop that was only 10 meters away from the older lady accepted my offer as well.
The windows were NASTY and they honestly didn't even look that good after I finished them haha (they still were 10 times better than before though). I might do her residential, depends on if she calls me.

After that, I had a total of 190€ so far and I REALLY wanted to hit that 200€ mark!
I was scouting the city but I already sucked it almost as dry as some [Sorry guys, my lawyer advised me not to finish the joke]. However I still found a few shops and one would let me do their windows tomorrow, inside and out for 40€. It's a pretty cheap price honestly but why not, I'll just finish that job there and then take the bus to another city.
I knew I wouldn't have much luck anymore and took the bus to my city.
On the bus, there was a kinda cute girl. Me being socially awkward had really struggled to initiate a conversation.
After probably 10-15 minutes of fighting a war inside my head, I managed to initiate the lamest convo known to man:

Me: "Hi! Excuse me (?)"
Her: "Oh hello!"
Me: "What's up?"
Her: "Good, hbu?"
Me: "I just finished work and am heading home"
Her: "Oh I am just starting work"
Me : "Oh yeah? Crazy ahe faha fhawf a hfawga"
*we both get back to minding our own businesses*

Concidentally we left at the same station and I said "Have a good day!".
Man, I don't want to know how much of a nice guy I must have looked haha, but it was fine. It's all going towards a greater purpose. A rejection? More like an action undertaken!

Anyways, I still had to somehow scrape 10 bucks together and I had THE idea.
I went to a burger shop for whom I was too pricy. Their windows were thankfully dirty and I pitched them my story ("I need to make 10 more bucks for..."). They accepted for the 10 bucks and I did their exterior. I got a free drink as a thank you and am supposed to come back next month again if I remember correctly... I really need to start carrying a pen and notebook with me haha.
Either way, total: 10€

Total-Total: 200€ !!!

After-thoughts:

Man, my feet really hurt haha.
I went to the Italian restaurant guy yesterday and he said he'd call me, he didn't and I quite honestly don't really care anymore. I don't really want to work with him anymore anyways.
I also kinda need to step up my sales-skillz and get calls returned.
I spread my phone number all over my area like Ghengis Khan his off-spring all over Asia and I still haven't gotten anything back. I am also a bit concerned about the winter again. Will what I build now hold in the winter? Who knows, I'll find out eventually.

And also, I am really concerned about the residential sales.
I'd really like to just knock at doors and stuff, but I am honestly just a bit scared and feel like I suck a$$ at it. Well, it's not like I just get better at it from doing nothing, so I guess I might start tomorrow with it.
Oh and if you haven't caught this yet, I have 3 weeks of holidays now and this is my first week! I'll be grinding all spring.

I hope this was everything I wanted to post! I'm pretty tired and stink haha.
Oh and I lost a microfiber tissue sadly. Well, it was only 2 bucks.

Cya guys!

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
UPDATE

Yesterday (Monday) total: 51€

Today total : 200€
Dude that's awesome! I love to see your progress. It's good that you're slowly gaining more traction on your hustle, you're definitely going to see even more 200€ days in the future!

Have you thought about investing in some form of storage/transportation? Maybe a bicycle you can take with you, or even an electric scooter / motorcycle if you can get a permit for it. Could potentially help with scalability and productivity.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Dude that's awesome! I love to see your progress. It's good that you're slowly gaining more traction on your hustle, you're definitely going to see even more 200€ days in the future!

Have you thought about investing in some form of storage/transportation? Maybe a bicycle you can take with you, or even an electric scooter / motorcycle if you can get a permit for it. Could potentially help with scalability and productivity.
Thank you for the thought!
I could get even a motorcycle (50ccm iirc), although I don't think I'll get one since they are:
1. Small af (probably couldn't even hold all my shit)
2. Expensive as hell (both driver's license and itself)
3. Fast-driving roads are scary af on such a baby thing that barely drives 50km/h

A bicycle however sounds not bad. Although even then, it'd be a huge bike and couldn't use public transport anymore and would need to leave it where I take off from.
(Lol, I just found a video of a window cleaning bike, but I think it wouldn't be of much use outside my city, public transport is just kinda faster ALSO HOLY SHIT THAT BIKE COSTS $1.500 TO $5.000)

Thanks for the thought though!

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
ALSO HOLY SHIT THAT BIKE COSTS $1.500 TO $5.000)
I mean, you can always try to MacGyver it and pray for the best! :playful:

Good points, I still do think this is something worthy of contemplating about for a solution though.

I did ask ChatGPT (I basically use it to google weird questions) and it did agree that cargo bikes are the way to go, and while they're expensive, it may be a possibility way down the line. (but with the way things are going for you now, and with summer in sight, I'd say that "down the line" may be just another 5 metres from reality!)

Hey, who knows, maybe if you spent some time thinkering with something for long enough you may just create a mass-marketable product for people who need to haul items efficiently with minimal space!

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Nov 8, 2022
Thank you for the thought!
I could get even a motorcycle (50ccm iirc), although I don't think I'll get one since they are:
1. Small af (probably couldn't even hold all my shit)
2. Expensive as hell (both driver's license and itself)
3. Fast-driving roads are scary af on such a baby thing that barely drives 50km/h

A bicycle however sounds not bad. Although even then, it'd be a huge bike and couldn't use public transport anymore and would need to leave it where I take off from.
(Lol, I just found a video of a window cleaning bike, but I think it wouldn't be of much use outside my city, public transport is just kinda faster ALSO HOLY SHIT THAT BIKE COSTS $1.500 TO $5.000)

Thanks for the thought though!
Can't you use those rentable electricity scooters that are everywhere around the city? They go fast, don't tire you out, aren't that expensive and you can leave them almost everywhere.

Also thanks to your thread (and Subsonic's one too) I have decided to start washing windows too. (I'm not in Germany dw:innocent: :halo:)

Last edited:

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Can't you use those rentable electricity scooters that are everywhere around the city? They go fast, don't tire you out, aren't that expensive and you can leave them almost everywhere.
Yo, that's awesome! I'll check your thread from time to time.
Also thanks to your thread I have decided to start washing windows too. (I'm not in Germany dw:innocent: :halo:)
Okay okay, guess I and Subsonic won't need to clean up something else...
Good for you...

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Smol update:

Today: 110€

Man, I'm really tired, let's see if I can write all of this.

I started the day by leaving the house slightly late and had to run over a kilometer to the bus.
By running I mean that your average American would have died 3 times by cardiac arrest in just ONE run. I was like "Shit man, I won't make it" but still ran regardless. I got near the bus station but there was HUGE traffic and I needed to wait. I saw a bit of space and ran across the road. As I came, the bus started moving but I knocked on the door and it stopped for me.
Phew!
I was meant to come to the before-mentioned restaurant for a 40€ job but as I came, the restaurant was locked and I looked at my phone and he wrote that he couldn't come. I would have seen his message if I looked at my phone before leaving but I rarely look at my phone so yeah...
I still moved on though and got the bus for another City I wanted to explore.

I got to the city and was already pretty tired and quite anxious (perhaps also because of my own pressure for having earned 200€ yesterday) and wanted to break the ice so to speak by making a sale.
I got to a barber shop and did a quick job for 10€ and the boss wanted me to do the inside as well so another 10€ and a 2€ tip!
Total: 22€

After that I was still kinda anxious lol but moved on anyways. I was thinking "Man, it'd be really nice if there was a girlfriend waiting at home for me" HAHAH
I got into a shop for glasses and eyesight or whatever the F*ck you call them in English and offered a job (that took me about 1.5 hours) for 40€. I added value with removing the insane cobwebs (I was sweating like a pig while removing them all haha). It was so god damn dusty that I had to get another bucket of water as well. I got a 10€ tip!
Total: 50€

I went into a few other shops and one of them was a dessous shop. I was like "Heya, which dress do you think will suit me?" but sadly she already had a cleaner or smth iirc.

After that I met an absolute gigachad.
I'm talking GIGACHAD.
He was an older man in a jewelry shop and I couldn't do his windows because I was too pricy and he also kinda did it himself but he showcased me to a shop-neighbour and got me a sale! I will clean her windows next week for 70€ or 90€, I think it was 90€.
And I kid you not, a few hours later he called me and told me he'd ask the Dessous lady sometime.
LIKE WHAT. YOU'RE SUCH A COOL GUY!!!!!!!!

Anyway, let's try to move on further...
The next sale was a hair-stylist. They said they'd do their windows next week but I told them my cheap a$$ price (I think 15€ for exterior?) and did my job.
While doing it, a shop-neighbour asked me to do her windows and said I'd do them later.
Total: 20€ (plus 5€ tip = 20€)

The other lady was pretty friendly and supportive and even introduced me to somebody who might want to get his windows done.

After that I emptied the water bucket in a public restroom and called it a day.
I also forgot to mention that while hustling I got myself these Asian crab chips for 2€ (I know, very healthy, but hey, I really need to gain weight, lost a kilo just recently and also didn't have them in quite a while, maybe even first time this year).

Total-Total: 110€

Afterthoughts:
I'm honestly not too sure what I'm gonna be doing tomorrow. Near stores are kinda getting less and less and I really need to get into residential soon, however there's just this mental barrier.
Oh and I'm also seriously distraught about the fact that I haven't practised piano in like a week.
The fact that this side hustle is getting more love than my music is quite...I don't know, it just feels wrong.

...Well, anyways, cya guys!

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
smol update

Today: 100€ (and a few small tips)
Pianomeme.png
Man, I'm pretty tired, let's see if I make it this time as well.

So, today has been interesting. I've tried residential again but then switched back to shops (commercial). I got to a suburbian area that basically only had houses, no shops etc. and I knocked on a bunch of doors, even had a few nice conversations. But I simply wasn't getting far. I realised that "Heya, interested in window cleaning?" isn't gonna cut it and that I'd need to bring something like humour into play. I, however, suck at humour (well, at least for the Sales-Standard, so to speak) and so I went with plan B, another city I haven't explored.
This time, this city was very wealthy and I realised that there was serious competition in that area.
I needed to change my script because there were already way too many clean windows: "Heya! As I can see, you already have a window cleaner, I just wanted to make sure though that you are happy with him!", or something similar to that. If they disagreed, hey (!), here I am for ya!
But despite that, I managed to get a bunch of work through very affordable prices.

You know what? I don't have much energy left so I'll keep it very brief this time:

-First shop was a pizza restaurant. Am supposed to come next month, for 10€.
Total: 10€

-A nail-thingy, inside and out, took longer than I thought, got a 5€ tip.
Total: 35€

-Hair-stylists, got 20 I think.

-The glasses shop thingy, got 15€ I think?
Total: 15€

-Austrian-Niche store, got 20€ and Austrian waffle chocolate. The people were very nice, especially the Italian in there. People like him really restore my faith in humanity haha!

Interesting moments:
-The Italian guy as mentioned, he was awesome. Awesome human.
-I went into a shop and there was the owner who blessed me for the coming Eastern and praised me to high regards for my "honest work".
-Oh, and there were many pretty and young women again (@heavy_industry ;))

Overall, I think I'll try to get residential through ads and stuff like that. It's pretty hardcore d2d, or maybe I'm just whining around...

I hope this was everything...?
Either way, have a good day guys!

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Do you do it everyday after school? Straight door to door?

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Do you do it everyday after school? Straight door to door?
We currently have holidays in Germany, so basically even before noon, although today I started at 1pm today. And regularly, I go as much as I can (meaning Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday).

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Have you tried any marketing?

What about hiring some help for a bigger job?

This business can scale to millions. Recurring contracts with large buildings that have lots of windows = the pinnacle of window cleaning.

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
Do you keep track of your customers? you should follow up after some time or get them on recurring.

Keep in mind its easier to sell to someone you already sold to.

If you want this to grow bigger then this must be on your list.

and good job piano, keep going!

Last edited:

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Have you tried any marketing?
No not yet. Only d2d.
What about hiring some help for a bigger job?
I have more time for jobs than I need. I still struggle with finding/having enough customers to drown myself with.
This business can scale to millions. Recurring contracts with large buildings that have lots of windows = the pinnacle of window cleaning.
You're right, I'm however not really qualified and able to do that yet, that stuff seems like end-game stuff.
Do you keep track of your customers? you should follow up after some time or get them on recurring.

Keep in mind its easier to sell to someone you already sold to.

If you want this to grow bigger then this must be on your list.
Yes I do! It's honestly kinda messy with my current system, but I do!
and good job piano, keep going!
Thank you very much! I'll try my best! (I might take a few days off because of Eastern though, since many shops close and I don't want to bother residentials either).

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
-Oh, and there were many pretty and young women again (@heavy_industry ;))
I've already ordered my window cleaning supplies from amazon.

Let's clean some windows.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Introducing to you...

THE WINDOW WASHING MOBILE 1.0™
Window washing mobile.jpg

The newest addition to our warfleet...
Equipped with...

A TELECTSOPIC POLE!"!!!
A WATER BUCKET (12 LITERS I THINK)!!!
YEAH THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

Okay hehe, jokes aside now.

Today I woke up (late, not as planned) with nowhere planned to go and was "action faking" (well, I mean, this isn't totally action faking right? Right???).
The bike attachment is made out of cable ties, an old ikea drawer from my childhood (green), my water bucket (blue), my telescopic pole and "that elastic string with a hook" (that holds the bucket).
I think I would have died of cringe if I didn't do at least something slightly productive and with @Prdgy's idea of getting a transport-vehicle in mind that I wasn't able to shake off ever since, I guess the bike just happened?
I gotta say though, MAN DOES IT LOOK CHEAP HOLY F*ck BAHAHAHA.

"Hey bro, I recently got myself a bike basket. Really loved to do grocery shopping ever since!"
"Oh really? I have one too!"
"Oh yeah? Cool! Show me a pic!"
*shows him this F*cking picture ^*

Although despite it looking really cheap, I'm kinda worried how it will hold together, especially since I have a 90€ job tomorrow and wonder if it will survive the bumpy way to the neighbouring city.

We'll find out!

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Nov 8, 2022
Introducing to you...

THE WINDOW WASHING MOBILE 1.0™
View attachment 48271

The newest addition to our warfleet...
Equipped with...

A TELECTSOPIC POLE!"!!!
A WATER BUCKET (12 LITERS I THINK)!!!
YEAH THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

Okay hehe, jokes aside now.

Today I woke up (late, not as planned) with nowhere planned to go and was "action faking" (well, I mean, this isn't totally action faking right? Right???).
The bike attachment is made out of cable ties, an old ikea drawer from my childhood (green), my water bucket (blue), my telescopic pole and "that elastic string with a hook" (that holds the bucket).
I think I would have died of cringe if I didn't do at least something slightly productive and with @Prdgy's idea of getting a transport-vehicle in mind that I wasn't able to shake off ever since, I guess the bike just happened?
I gotta say though, MAN DOES IT LOOK CHEAP HOLY F*ck BAHAHAHA.

"Hey bro, I recently got myself a bike basket. Really loved to do grocery shopping ever since!"
"Oh really? I have one too!"
"Oh yeah? Cool! Show me a pic!"
*shows him this F*cking picture ^*

Although despite it looking really cheap, I'm kinda worried how it will hold together, especially since I have a 90€ job tomorrow and wonder if it will survive the bumpy way to the neighbouring city.

We'll find out!

Nice ride, the women are gonna love it.;)

Don't worry about it looking cheap. I think it just shows how dedicated you are and how you're not letting the lack of transport stop you.

Alternatively, you can use the rentable electric scooters that are everywhere around the city. (I'm assuming they're in Germany too)

I have the same extension pole as you (Leifheit 4m). Is it only me or it bends very easily? I have used it for a day and it's already bent quite bad.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Nice ride, the women are gonna love it.;)

Don't worry about it looking cheap. I think it just shows how dedicated you are and how you're not letting the lack of transport stop you.
Thank you!
I have the same extension pole as you (Leifheit 4m). Is it only me or it bends very easily? I have used it for a day and it's already bent quite bad.
You got Leifheit? I'm pretty sure I wrote at the beginning of the thread that it's not good, but what happened happened! I too have one now haha.
Hm, it bends? Like, is the metal permanently bent? As in like real damage or does it just noodle around when fully extended?
If it's just noodling around, it's all good! Just keep in mind that I haven't worked at high altitudes a lot and usually only use 1m-2m of it.
Oh and btw, you'll want to switch to UNGER tools later on, so I'd recommend you to buy an UNGER tip (the green tip in the pic) for your Leifheit pole. It doesn't fit at all, but if you tape the metal with duct tape until it's thick enough and then press it down into it, it should be quite fit. Just keep in mind that you need A LOT of strength for that. If you're going long-term, you'll probably get an Unger Optiloc at some point anyways, so maybe just upgrade directly.

Or... you can still give your pole back to the store.
Good luck!

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Nov 8, 2022
You got Leifheit? I'm pretty sure I wrote at the beginning of the thread that it's not good, but what happened happened! I too have one now haha.
I remember you warning to never buy Leifheit but I sadly still bought it.
Hm, it bends? Like, is the metal permanently bent? As in like real damage or does it just noodle around when fully extended?
If it's just noodling around, it's all good! Just keep in mind that I haven't worked at high altitudes a lot and usually only use 1m-2m of it.
Metal permanently bent. I washed windows where I had to use the whole 4m of it and I needed to apply enough pressure for the squegee to work.
Oh and btw, you'll want to switch to UNGER tools later on, so I'd recommend you to buy an UNGER tip (the green tip in the pic) for your Leifheit pole. It doesn't fit at all, but if you tape the metal with duct tape until it's thick enough and then press it down into it, it should be quite fit. Just keep in mind that you need A LOT of strength for that. If you're going long-term, you'll probably get an Unger Optiloc at some point anyways, so maybe just upgrade directly.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep Unger in mind should I upgrade.
Or... you can still give your pole back to the store.
Haha no chance that they'll give me a refund.:rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.