The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm a fifteen year old kid who posted here more than one year ago. Here's what I've been up to.

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
Hi everyone! I appreciate everybody's comments on my last post, which I made more than one year ago. I have gotten a bit silent (which I honestly regret doing), however I have been a lurker for quite a bit now and felt like making another post. I've done a couple of things over the past year, however there is only one project that I am really proud of to share.

Around September 2018, I was browsing through a very popular gaming forum, when I realized they didn't have a very good set of designers in their graphics section. Since I've read a couple books on business at that time, I understood that this is something I can get a hold of, so the first thing I did was purchase a course on Udemy, and start learning graphic design. It was pretty difficult at first, however I struck through my boredom and eventually got pretty good with Photoshop. That's when I finally was able to open my store. My services got a lot of traction within the first week, and I did some early projects for a measly amount of money just to get started with my service. Every month I became better and better, and received more and more customers. Fast forward to 2019; and I am now the proud owner of IAI Design. I have learned animation, and am very fluent, my services haven't really gotten much attention but I do enough projects to make around ~$1500 a month. It's not insane, but I do feel a sense of pride when realizing that I built this service by myself.

I'm not entirely sure what my next step should be, perhaps I can hire somebody and make my service go completely autopilot. In the meantime, I'm still looking at ideas for my next big project. I have around $2500 saved, and am planning to someday get into the Amazon biz with an original product. I really hate the idea of having to work a part time job, considering how much time I put into my service, so I'm not really sure what to do from here on out. Expand my service, hire somebody else to do it for me, or just stop working on it at all? I have been considering getting into web design since Fox's story was pretty inspiring, however I'm still debating on my steps. I'm doing well, but I know I could be doing a lot better.

Thanks for reading! ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
You are 15 and you make $1500 on your own each month. That is incredibly impressive!! Keep the growth up and check back on how you have done, every year from now on you will continue to improve.

Great job!

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
You’re a rockstar dude!!

Please tell me you’ve read Watership Down, The Once and Future King (first book), and Kim by Kipling. All three teach leadership in different ways, ways that touch the heart.

Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey (the Fagles translation is best, he uses the word slut in one sentence to describe Helen of Troy; it still makes me giggle) are great too and for world history that’s kinda dry but super comprehensive there’s Winston Churchill’s A History of The English Speaking People.

The only reason I’m bringing up excellent literature is because it’s obvious you’re ALREADY a hardworking success. I want to guard your heart for virtue. Power is wonderful but having wisdom too? That’s what it takes to be epic.

Oh how I wish ANY of my little brothers had your drive! Congrats on being a business owner. May you give to a thousand charities before you’re through.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi everyone! I appreciate everybody's comments on my last post, which I made more than one year ago. I have gotten a bit silent (which I honestly regret doing), however I have been a lurker for quite a bit now and felt like making another post. I've done a couple of things over the past year, however there is only one project that I am really proud of to share.

Around September 2018, I was browsing through a very popular gaming forum, when I realized they didn't have a very good set of designers in their graphics section. Since I've read a couple books on business at that time, I understood that this is something I can get a hold of, so the first thing I did was purchase a course on Udemy, and start learning graphic design. It was pretty difficult at first, however I struck through my boredom and eventually got pretty good with Photoshop. That's when I finally was able to open my store. My services got a lot of traction within the first week, and I did some early projects for a measly amount of money just to get started with my service. Every month I became better and better, and received more and more customers. Fast forward to 2019; and I am now the proud owner of IAI Design. I have learned animation, and am very fluent, my services haven't really gotten much attention but I do enough projects to make around ~$1500 a month. It's not insane, but I do feel a sense of pride when realizing that I built this service by myself.

I'm not entirely sure what my next step should be, perhaps I can hire somebody and make my service go completely autopilot. In the meantime, I'm still looking at ideas for my next big project. I have around $2500 saved, and am planning to someday get into the Amazon biz with an original product. I really hate the idea of having to work a part time job, considering how much time I put into my service, so I'm not really sure what to do from here on out. Expand my service, hire somebody else to do it for me, or just stop working on it at all? I have been considering getting into web design since Fox's story was pretty inspiring, however I'm still debating on my steps. I'm doing well, but I know I could be doing a lot better.

Thanks for reading! ;)
Great work! You saw a need, you learned what you needed to fulfil it, took low paying jobs to get experience (and a portfolio?), and now you’re getting higher paying jobs and a (steady?) monthly revenue.

My first thought is “Grow what you know.”

Grow your client base: Can you get more work from your current marketing channel (advertising in that gaming forum)? For the same product, and for closely aligned products?

Grow the revenue from each client: Does your current client base need any more work done?

Grow your MRR: Can you get repeat business from your current clients? What do they already pay monthly for? What would they pay monthly for? Could you create artwork for their advertising campaigns for instance?

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
Thanks for the support everyone! I also appreciate the advice from everybody who decided to pitch in on some brand new ideas. I have a rough idea of what I'll do next, but I promise I will keep you posted.

To answer Primeperwinkle's question:
You’re a rockstar dude!!

Please tell me you’ve read Watership Down, The Once and Future King (first book), and Kim by Kipling. All three teach leadership in different ways, ways that touch the heart.
No, I've honestly never touched literature before! I used to seriously dislike reading, until I got into non-fiction. There's a lot of valuable lessons I've learned from reading books, but fiction is something I have never even tried. Do you suggest I give these books a shot?

Also,
Great work! You saw a need, you learned what you needed to fulfil it, took low paying jobs to get experience (and a portfolio?), and now you’re getting higher paying jobs and a (steady?) monthly revenue.

My first thought is “Grow what you know.”

Grow your client base: Can you get more work from your current marketing channel (advertising in that gaming forum)? For the same product, and for closely aligned products?

Grow the revenue from each client: Does your current client base need any more work done?

Grow your MRR: Can you get repeat business from your current clients? What do they already pay monthly for? What would they pay monthly for? Could you create artwork for their advertising campaigns for instance?
Thanks so much for giving me some things to think about to further my business. I haven't ever tried to contact my clients in case they need any more work, perhaps I should start building a stronger relationship for more repeat customers. In the meantime though, like I said I do want to take up web design. I'm doing a project for a family member which will hopefully give me some experience to start working with real people.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
$1,500 a month, self-created, and only 15?

You're ahead of some 35 year old men who are still living at home with mom.

I'm impressed and marking this NOTABLE.

Thing is, you're not old enough to use all the excuses us older people like to use.

It's not insane, but I do feel a sense of pride when realizing that I built this service by myself.

This is the feedback loop which powers passion via achievement and accomplishment. This is why following passion is useless, passion follows your effort.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the support everyone! I also appreciate the advice from everybody who decided to pitch in on some brand new ideas. I have a rough idea of what I'll do next, but I promise I will keep you posted.

To answer Primeperwinkle's question:

No, I've honestly never touched literature before! I used to seriously dislike reading, until I got into non-fiction. There's a lot of valuable lessons I've learned from reading books, but fiction is something I have never even tried. Do you suggest I give these books a shot?

Also,

Thanks so much for giving me some things to think about to further my business. I haven't ever tried to contact my clients in case they need any more work, perhaps I should start building a stronger relationship for more repeat customers. In the meantime though, like I said I do want to take up web design. I'm doing a project for a family member which will hopefully give me some experience to start working with real people.

Yes, I do think you should give timeless classic literature a shot because.. it will challenge you to think differently about your world, put yourself in the shoes of different people, and touch your heart in ways that other types of learning don’t.

When you read nonfiction you’re still in “control” and your perspective is aloof, mostly judging the work, taking what you want, leaving what you don’t.

Great stories do exactly the opposite, by reading them slowly, wrestling with the material that is above your current vocabulary (Kim is notoriously difficult even for some adults) and sweeping up your senses .. it carries you to a different place.

The more under 25 ppl I interact with the more I wonder how they will form deep attachments to history, nature, and most importantly other people. I doubt you need great literature to be successful; you’ve already proven you have what it takes for that. But.

Great literature has a way of improving the heart and mind of an individual in subtle ways by giving them understanding about humility, courage, selflessness, honor, and sacrifice. They’re not meant to be gobbled down like candy but savored in quiet moments that give rest.

Literature will make you a better man.

Watership Down is a story about rabbits. It sounds sweet and simple.. but every type of leader you will ever meet is represented somehow in that book.

The Once and Future King is about King Arthur’s training by Merlin. There are these conversations that just kinda pierce through what it is to be young and scared and excited yet have the potential to rule, if only one can figure out how.

Kim is prolly the hardest of these three because it has words that most Americans are not familiar with. There are many religions and castes in India and Kim makes use of them all. It’s about a ridiculously clever orphan who makes his living on the streets. The story tracks his journey to manhood. The book is ambling, dusty, SLOW, because it’s not written like Western novels or beliefs.

All that said, there was once a great discussion among three hundred or so ppl. We discussed which books our children hated at first or struggled with but which, ultimately, we all loved. Deeply.

In that forum someone asked “if you could only give your son three books to teach him how to be a man, which three would you recommend?”

These three made the final cut. (But the people arguing for The Odyssey never really gave up.. lol)

Good luck!

ETA: Sorry for the crazy long post but I love books. Also, I realized.. it should say, “Literature is one of the things that will make you a great man.”

Last edited:

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
Yes, I do think you should give timeless classic literature a shot because.. it will challenge you to think differently about your world, put yourself in the shoes of different people, and touch your heart in ways that other types of learning don’t.

When you read nonfiction you’re still in “control” and your perspective is aloof, mostly judging the work, taking what you want, leaving what you don’t.

Great stories do exactly the opposite, by reading them slowly, wrestling with the material that is above your current vocabulary (Kim is notoriously difficult even for some adults) and sweeping up your senses .. it carries you to a different place.

The more under 25 ppl I interact with the more I wonder how they will form deep attachments to history, nature, and most importantly other people. I doubt you need great literature to be successful; you’ve already proven you have what it takes for that. But.

Great literature has a way of improving the heart and mind of an individual in subtle ways by giving them understanding about humility, courage, selflessness, honor, and sacrifice. They’re not meant to be gobbled down like candy but savored in quiet moments that give rest.

Literature will make you a better man.

Watership Down is a story about rabbits. It sounds sweet and simple.. but every type of leader you will ever meet is represented somehow in that book.

The Once and Future King is about King Arthur’s training by Merlin. There are these conversations that just kinda pierce through what it is to be young and scared and excited yet have the potential to rule, if only one can figure out how.

Kim is prolly the hardest of these three because it has words that most Americans are not familiar with. There are many religions and castes in India and Kim makes use of them all. It’s about a ridiculously clever orphan who makes his living on the streets. The story tracks his journey to manhood. The book is ambling, dusty, SLOW, because it’s not written like Western novels or beliefs.

All that said, there was once a great discussion among three hundred or so ppl. We discussed which books our children hated at first or struggled with but which, ultimately, we all loved. Deeply.

In that forum someone asked “if you could only give your son three books to teach him how to be a man, which three would you recommend?”

These three made the final cut. (But the people arguing for The Odyssey never really gave up.. lol)

Good luck!

ETA: Sorry for the crazy long post but I love books. Also, I realized.. it should say, “Literature is one of the things that will make you a great man.”
Thanks so much! I'm happy to put these three on my list. I've never fully read a fiction book before, so I'm interested in how they differ with the values they teach. I really appreciate your long post since it does make me understand a little more on what I should look in to!

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
$1,500 a month, self-created, and only 15?

You're ahead of some 35 year old men who are still living at home with mom.

I'm impressed and marking this NOTABLE.

Thing is, you're not old enough to use all the excuses us older people like to use.

This is the feedback loop which powers passion via achievement and accomplishment. This is why following passion is useless, passion follows your effort.
Thanks MJ! Means a lot to me!

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Hell yeah! Oops, I mean heck yeah. H*ck yeah? Damn, I don't remember what I could say when I was 16.

... and am planning to someday get into the Amazon biz with an original product

Dang! Why not keep doing a lot more of what's been working?
(That said, if I were 16, I'd try anything and everything just to learn it all.)

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
Hell yeah! Oops, I mean heck yeah. H*ck yeah? Damn, I don't remember what I could say when I was 16.

Dang! Why not keep doing a lot more of what's been working?
(That said, if I were 16, I'd try anything and everything just to learn it all.)
It's hard to find work nowadays, I think the only way I could expand is by starting to market to actual companies. Just simply cold calling could be a good start. I was also thinking of finding some companies with terrible looking logos, and giving them a free makeover. If they like it, sold. If they don't, I'm out maybe 5 minutes of work.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Just simply cold calling could be a good start. I was also thinking of finding some companies with terrible looking logos, and giving them a free makeover.
Yeah dude! I love all that.
Cold calling is super scary the first times you do it, but it's a huge learning opportunity. You get good at it fast.

douevenshift

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Aug 1, 2016
Yeah dude! I love all that.
Cold calling is super scary the first times you do it, but it's a huge learning opportunity. You get good at it fast.

I'm a big time lurker but definitely second this. My slowlane job is currently insurance sales and its the first time a huge portion of my lead generation/production/income was dependent on cold calling.

Yes, I get people to tell me to F*ck off, people screaming at me, people trying to prank/F*ck with me, people threatening to sue (add your number to the DNC list dummy then talk to me...), the common "FU Button" (instant hangup), you name it, it happens. I took it VERY personally at first and it would ruin my entire day with one negative call. I had done a shit ton of sales with hot-prospects but cold calling random numbers is a totally different beast...

After the first month or two I also realized most people who do pick up are pretty nice and they'll just say "sorry not interested", "wrong number", or... sometimes... they will listen to your pitch and give you an opportunity. Even if someone is a d-bag nowadays it doesn't even phase me in the slightest. I will never see or hear from them again - on to the next number!

Sorry not trying to rant but yea, if I was 10 years younger I would cold call the shit out of people. GL btw, you are literally MILES ahead of 99.9% of everyone your age.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Yes, I get people to tell me to F*ck off, people screaming at me, people trying to prank/F*ck with me, people threatening to sue (add your number to the DNC list dummy then talk to me...), the common "FU Button" (instant hangup), you name it, it happens. I took it VERY personally at first and it would ruin my entire day with one negative call. I had done a shit ton of sales with hot-prospects but cold calling random numbers is a totally different beast...

God damn, if you are getting reactions like that, I might re-think your pitching process. I cold-call music stores to get the names of stockists/gatekeepers and find out if they'd be receptive to stocking my product. I always want them to hang up feeling glad that I reached out.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Great accomplishment so far. I am wondering pretty much the same thing. One thing I trying to do is go for higher paying clients. It's the same amount of work, same amount of time, but you are paid more.

For me at least, if I make more then I can systemize my freelancing a bit more (software, hire employees, etc). It is all in the way you market yourself. I am taking a different direction to hopefully land bigger jobs.

From here I don't know where I'll take it. I like the idea of just being an occasional freelancing with a separate/different business that I focus on. But we'll find out when I get there.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Congrats to you and how I wish kids here were half as creative as you.

Here's what I would do. Reach out to every person you have worked with and ask them how they are now and if they remember you and your work and if you could help them now in any way. But quote them slightly higher rates than you do to totally new prospects. This is because people who have already seen your work do not have to worry about your reliability so they are more likely to pay you more. Ultimate goal should be to steadily increase your hourly rate.

Second thing I would do is propose a maintenance subscription to your clients if there is anything that requires recurring work. This way you get paid even if there isn't new work incoming.

And when you are interacting with clients here is a golden rule which will always keep you in good stead. Be genuinely interested in your clients as people. So this would be ask them how's work and how's home and what's going on etc. I know the kids names of many of my freelancing clients and I purposely keep time for just talking to my clients if an opportunity ever presents itself. Ultimately remember no matter how big someone is they are just people and people like working with those they trust and like more than service providers who are just transactional. Then even when you quote higher prices they are more likely to hire you because they simply like you .

And all the best....

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Lots of great actionable ideas in this thread. My advice is to learn how to network.

Hint: You're doing it now by talking to us.

If you go out into the world and tell people what you're up to, opportunity will find you.

People love young ambitious people. The fact that you're 15 and doing what you're doing is enough to make for an interesting story.

Go to some networking events and start talking to business owners. It won't be long before you're trying to decide which opportunities to pursue because you have so many options.

Instagram/YouTube is another good channel for the same reasons described above. People love seeing young people with hustle. Take advantage of your situation before you get old like the rest of us ;).

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
Lots of great actionable ideas in this thread. My advice is to learn how to network.

Hint: You're doing it now by talking to us.

If you go out into the world and tell people what you're up to, opportunity will find you.

People love young ambitious people. The fact that you're 15 and doing what you're doing is enough to make for an interesting story.

Go to some networking events and start talking to business owners. It won't be long before you're trying to decide which opportunities to pursue because you have so many options.

Instagram/YouTube is another good channel for the same reasons described above. People love seeing young people with hustle. Take advantage of your situation before you get old like the rest of us ;).
Thank you! There's so much valuable info in this I can't help but be grateful. I've had so much experience in YouTube, but now I really think I can strike it big in that scene. Still have to figure out what works though! I've always tried to connect with business owners, just trying to find some networking events since my city is pretty dull in that scene.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Holy Crap!

I was shaving dog's a$$ at 15.

You're a case study.

Keep at it and thank you for the update.

Why don't you feel like you can't get yourself unstuck?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016

Thanks for reading! ;)

You are going somewhere dude, make sure you hang out with the right people and find a great girl that will stick with you through the highs and lows.

Why not contact previous clients to do their website to get the ball rolling? It should be a no brainer at this point.

Adelaide

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
Congrats! Dude, you're a legend. So young and already killing it.

You're considering outsourcing - which is a big (and great) move.

My suggestion is to read The E-Myth Revisited. It will help give you some tips on how to move from being IN THE BUSINESS to working ON THE BUSINESS. It's a short and easy read and has stuff in there that many business owners don't think about.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.