The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you want to be a millionaire by 25 then get a Saturday job

Callum Fergusson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Jan 5, 2018
biiii
"If you want to be a millionaire by 25 then get a Saturday job"
Yes, someone really did say that! Bet you cant guess who. In context, the conversation had followed the regular dinnertime routine of my parents cajoling me too "get a job". During the discussion, my younger
sister, who works at the gymnasium for £3 an hour, chimed in with the corker I have as the title. Somehow through years of indoctrination, she has come to the belief that getting a crap dead-end Saturday job is somehow a necessary step to riches and financial freedom. That is just a brief snippet of the Slowlane nonsense I have to put up with every day.

In fairness to my parents, I am admittedly far too lazy and really need to contribute more too the household considering my age. However, the thing that always seems to perplex them is when I plead that "Seriously, I'd prefer to stay home and watch Netflix or play video games than to work" They just can't fathom the fact that I find my time more valuable than £5.10 an hour (I know I need to be more productive with my time but still)

My last job was working in a small local café, the owner of the cafe was a workaholic. He treated me with little respect and despite no training would expect me to make no mistakes and would heavily criticise if I did (never constructively). Inevitably, I was fired. Whilst I remain accountable to the fact that this was my fault, I vouched that I would never work for someone I despised again!

Believe it or not, the cafe was open 364 days a year and the boss was there to m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶ micro-manage every day. Coming home from work on a Sunday I would poke fun and say he was stupid to work that much and must have no life. To my surprise, my parents sprung to his defense and told me off for making fun of "a hard-working local businessman".

Throughout my life, I have always known there was something different out there, to what I was being taught about how I should live my life. Since a young age, I have been mildly obsessed with the thought of wealth. Throughout my existence, I've been spewing semi-cohesive Fastlane ideologies to the tune of 'that's silly!'/'you're delusional!'. After reading the TMFL I realized that maybe, just maybe I may have had a point and my dear mother might actually be mistaken.

Anyways enough about my Slowlane parents and previous crappy jobs, I want to tell you about my dreams;
In the future, I hope for three things: Financial Freedom. To travel the world. Date a supermodel.
Sounds naîve? Sure. Maybe I am! But I would rather be naîve than a 9/5 corporate drone, who lives solely for the weekend and their precious two-week mediocre vacation.
I want to be the guy who takes a 2-month vacation to Bali purely for the hell of it, or flies the friends and families out to a dainty little chalêt in the alps for Christmas.

Looking a bit closer to present, this year I plan on:

1. Building and maintaining some sort of passive income stream. This is mainly to get my parents off my back. Hopefully, they will see that I'm not a delusional "get rich quickster"
(if get rich quickster isn't a phrase then it definitely should be).
  1. Become more knowledgeable and skillful within a couple of areas and kickstart my entrepreneurial career.
  2. Read 20 books this year. Started the year with TMFL and plan on reading Unscripted .
  3. Gym Gainz!! Realistically I know that this probably isn't the top place for gym advice and discussion, but I have recently started the Stronglifts 5x5 workout regime. By the end of the year, I hope to put around 20kg of mostly muscle..
Luckily I know that I have time on my side and possess a lot more of this valuable asset than most people starting out on this route. With the help of you, this forum, I know I will achieve and surpass my goals and make 2018 a year to remember.

Besides the gold and notable threads any recommendations for books or skills I should be looking to develop. Alternatively, picture yourself as a 17-year-old kid like myself and tell me what you would be doing if you had the chance to live this age all over again.

Bonus
Below are a couple more examples of the Slowlane crock I can remember from this month alone:
  • "Get a job up the pub, then you can see how businesses really work"

• "When I was your age I worked 20 hours a week!"

• Dad: "Son, you're going to have to work for a lot of people you don't like in your life" Sorry dad but I actually quite like myself :)

• This ones definitely my favourite: just the other week, my mum declared that my generation is going to be the richest yet! but that we're going to have to wait until we're 70 because that's when the housing market will peak. She honestly did quote this at the dinner table and had apparently read it online somewhere.

Any of you have similar experiences? If so, I would love to hear to some of your parents or families top slow lane quotes.

All the best Callum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jimbo70

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 21, 2017
Ireland
They just can't fathom the fact that I find my time more valuable than £5.10 an hour

What are you doing with your time that makes more than £5.10 an hour? From what I've read it sounds like you're doing nothing productive that can put you towards your "millionaire dream".
No matter how much I dislike working at my part- time job, I still need cash to fund my next business idea.
From my understanding it sounds like you're making fun of slowlane , fastlane isn't for everyone.

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
Yes, someone really did say that! Bet you cant guess who. In context, the conversation had followed the regular dinnertime routine of my parents cajoling me too "get a job". During the discussion, my younger
sister, who works at the gymnasium for £3 an hour, chimed in with the corker I have as the title. Somehow through years of indoctrination, she has come to the belief that getting a crap dead-end Saturday job is somehow a necessary step to riches and financial freedom. That is just a brief snippet of the Slowlane nonsense I have to put up with every day.

In fairness to my parents, I am admittedly far too lazy and really need to contribute more too the household considering my age. However, the thing that always seems to perplex them is when I plead that "Seriously, I'd prefer to stay home and watch Netflix or play video games than to work" They just can't fathom the fact that I find my time more valuable than £5.10 an hour (I know I need to be more productive with my time but still)

My last job was working in a small local café, the owner of the cafe was a workaholic. He treated me with little respect and despite no training would expect me to make no mistakes and would heavily criticise if I did (never constructively). Inevitably, I was fired. Whilst I remain accountable to the fact that this was my fault, I vouched that I would never work for someone I despised again!

Believe it or not, the cafe was open 364 days a year and the boss was there to m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶ micro-manage every day. Coming home from work on a Sunday I would poke fun and say he was stupid to work that much and must have no life. To my surprise, my parents sprung to his defense and told me off for making fun of "a hard-working local businessman".

Throughout my life, I have always known there was something different out there, to what I was being taught about how I should live my life. Since a young age, I have been mildly obsessed with the thought of wealth. Throughout my existence, I've been spewing semi-cohesive Fastlane ideologies to the tune of 'that's silly!'/'you're delusional!'. After reading the TMFL I realized that maybe, just maybe I may have had a point and my dear mother might actually be mistaken.

Anyways enough about my Slowlane parents and previous crappy jobs, I want to tell you about my dreams;
In the future, I hope for three things: Financial Freedom. To travel the world. Date a supermodel.
Sounds naîve? Sure. Maybe I am! But I would rather be naîve than a 9/5 corporate drone, who lives solely for the weekend and their precious two-week mediocre vacation.
I want to be the guy who takes a 2-month vacation to Bali purely for the hell of it, or flies the friends and families out to a dainty little chalêt in the alps for Christmas.

1. Building and maintaining some sort of passive income stream. This is mainly to get my parents off my back. Hopefully, they will see that I'm not a delusional "get rich quickster"
  1. Become more knowledgeable and skillful within a couple of areas and kickstart my entrepreneurial career.
  2. Read 20 books this year. Started the year with TMFL and plan on reading Unscripted .
  3. Gym Gainz!! Realistically I know that this probably isn't the top place for gym advice and discussion, but I have recently started the Stronglifts 5x5 workout regime. By the end of the year, I hope to put around 20kg of mostly muscle..
Luckily I know that I have time on my side and possess a lot more of this valuable asset than most people starting out on this route. With the help of you, this forum, I know I will achieve and surpass my goals and make 2018 a year to remember.

Besides the gold and notable threads any recommendations for books or skills I should be looking to develop. Alternatively, picture yourself as a 17-year-old kid like myself and tell me what you would be doing if you had the chance to live this age all over again.

Bonus
Below are a couple more examples of the Slowlane crock I can remember from this month alone:

• Dad: "Son, you're going to have to work for a lot of people you don't like in your life" Sorry dad but I actually quite like myself :)

• This ones definitely my favourite: just the other week, my mum declared that my generation is going to be the richest yet! but that we're going to have to wait until we're 70 because that's when the housing market will peak. She honestly did quote this at the dinner table and had apparently read it online somewhere.

Any of you have similar experiences? If so, I would love to hear to some of your parents or families top slow lane quotes.

All the best Callum.

i'm sorry but i think this is the worst introduction i've ever read ( and that's saying something because i've definately had my moments) you sound rude, condescending, disrespectful, i really dont like your personality at all, try to approach things from a less i know everything attitude and be more humble / teachable you're no better than a piece of dirt got it?

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
I suggest moving out somewhere far away. I've realized that most of the people in my life are Sidewalkers and only my Sister and her Fiancee are Slowlaners. I've known ONE Fastlaner, but he was not in my family.

AstonMartinOne77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 13, 2017
Montreal, Canada
What are you doing with your time that makes more than £5.10 an hour? From what I've read it sounds like you're doing nothing productive that can put you towards your "millionaire dream".
No matter how much I dislike working at my part- time job, I still need cash to fund my next business idea.
From my understanding it sounds like you're making fun of slowlane , fastlane isn't for everyone.

Jimbo70 has said it very well. You are not doing anything better than working at £5.10 the hour.

In your case, as a 17 years old young man, having a job is really not that bad. A job will teach you a lot about how businesses work, how people think and even more...

If you don't learn anything with your job, thats fine, change job.
You might also need money to fund your next business endeavor.

And don't forget to work on your business when you get home from the job.

ReubenA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 3, 2016
If I could talk to my 17 year old self..

Learn to be patient and stick to one thing for a long period of time (within reason, of course). Slow, consistent progress is better than going 300% and burning out after 3 months. Your biggest asset is time.

On muscle gain.. you're not going to put on 20kg of muscle in the next year. That's not physically possible (even at 17). Read and adjust your expectations What’s My Genetic Muscular Potential? : Bodyrecomposition

Even 10-15kg of muscle is a F*cking lot.

Oh and others have mentioned above.. you sound really arrogant. Actually you sound exactly like me when I was 17.. I was an idiot lol. That'll stop you learning from people if you think you're above them. Confidence is good, but acting as if you've got everything figured out pisses people off when you have nothing to back it up.

Definitely don't work a £5.10 / hr job. As you said, your time IS more valuable than that. £5.10 an hour is better than sitting on your a$$.. but those aren't the only two choices. Learn valuable skills and freelance with them if you need cash for business (sales, copywriting, coding).

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
Books, gym and slowlane jobs are just tools in life.

Leverage them instead of letting them 'define' you.

You life is the sum of all the things you do. Working for someone exposes your true character and solidify your conviction in living a life of freedom a.k.a Fastlane.

Here's a short snippet of what I was doing when I was 17~

After months of dropping resumes at every single retail store, I finally got a weekend job at a poultry shop. At the dawn of every Saturday morning for 7 months, I would open up the shop at 7am and start marinating leftovers for 2 hours straight. I always dreaded the first 2 hours. It involved sticking my hands into frozen things and it was BLOODY COLD. It was so painful that I had to wash my hands in hot water every 15 minutes. I earned a meagre $7 AUD per hour. At the end of every shift, I would blow all my money on crap because spending made me feel rich (sounds familiar?).

Upgraded my pay grade gradually at every subsequent job while I sidewalked for another 5 years without knowing TMF . Now everything are just means to an end to me - which includes a slowlane job.

So leverage everything.

And keep your sight on the prize.

Last edited:

buenaflor

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,050%
Jan 8, 2018
Vienna
Sorry to tell you Callum, I also agree that this is a terrible introduction. Instead of looking down on Slowlaners or Sidewalkers, try to develop an understanding for those people who do not know any other way how to live their lives. Not many people think like Fastlaners and you shouldn't be disrespectful toward that.

Working at job is not a bad idea as a start. Just because you commit to the Fastlane lifestyle doesn't mean that you are not allowed to work for someone anymore. If it is used to leverage another goal of yours go ahead: learn a skill, learn how a certain business works, learn where people get their resources from, how the company hires people etc. Don't underestimate the value of a job.

Lastly, this is exactly what MJ was talking about. You've read Millionaire Fastlane , as you said, but not once did you mention contributing or giving value to the people. All I see is someone disrespecting other people who don't share the same values as you and the desire for financial freedom and dating a hot supermodel. Instead of focusing on passive income this year, focus on opportunities to give value and help other people. Your introduction sounds very selfish and doesn't totally align with the Fastlane

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Good grief!

True that!
Slowlaners still have some discipline in save up money and work.

I hardly even think BAD about Slowlaners any more, as some of them may have some ready industry experience to share with me.

Oddly, I found some good business tips from SLOWLANERS. A head-hunter told me some tips on creating good proposals and looking up companies to craft that proposal. An engineering manager told me the fundamentals of a manufacturing line.

Don't make Slowlaners your enemies. They CAN and WILL help you out, if you let them.

Coming home from work on a Sunday I would poke fun and say he was stupid to work that much and must have no life. To my surprise, my parents sprung to his defense and told me off for making fun of "a hard-working local businessman".
This validates the fact that Slowlaners, or whatever you call them, are not to be trifled with.

Although, yes, he might not be the best person to meet, but your parents have a point.

To have a cafe, which at least has some returning customers, a structured menu, decent seating and food that doesn't send folks to the hospital, is actually COMMENDABLE. At least your parents can recognize PROCESS, which is the key to Fastlane success.

Do respect your parents a tad better. Slowlaners or not, they had the strength and guts to live 30-40 years longer than you.

I don't really have total Fastlane agreement with my own parents either, but I do work on giving my dues. Thankfully, it has worked out so far.

Started the year with TMFL and plan on reading Unscripted .
Read the two books. Reread them if you need to, especially UNSCRIPTED .

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
So just wondering because I know it doesn't happen much at my house but..... how many true super models walk through your bedroom to play video games with you? If your answer is NEVER then how are you ever going to meet one if your lazy a$$ never gets out and does anything? Not to mention.... why would you want to date a super model? Yuck! I guess someone has to though.

My guess for your goals of this year.... you don't do anything on your list and you stay a broke lazy a$$ 17 year old kid..... wait, now you become and adult in theory, 18 year old know it all video gamer kid. But it's really your parents fault because see...... they raised a kid, they didn't raise an adult. I bet you become a full fledged adult at about 30-32 years old..... or maybe never.

I guess I've never said this but this right here is a big reason I started my current business, aside from being bored. My grandson lives with us and it gives him a job. He just turned 15 years old, days ago and for the last year he has basically been his own boss. I tell him when I get new units in and it's up to him to do his job after that. I don't remind him but he knows, if he doesn't do what he is suppose to do.... all hell will break loose. He is also a video gamer and his room sure does look bare when all the tv's and game systems are taken out of his room. It's happened once and he said he doesn't want it to happen again. lol

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
I’m 17, just like you so I’ll give you a piece of advice and then say what my plan is.

1. Make sure your parents are on board with any business BEFORE you decide to start. I started a business importing things from China and selling them. I grew my Instagram account to over 1k followers and had two sales the day that I launched. I thought I was doing great until it came time to collect the money. I needed someone over the age of 18 (my parents) to get on the account with me. This turned into a huge fight about how we could get sued and this and that and so I had to shut down that business and I’m not allowed to start another until I’m 18.

What I’m doing:
Learning and I’m going to attempt to freelance but I’m sure I’ll have to come up with some sort of compromise. I play sports and am pretty busy during the school year so this summer I’m going to get a job working for a guy that is worth a few million. So yes I’m getting a job but there is so much to learn from this guy. Basically I’ll be getting paid to do farm work that I’ve been doing my whole life anyways and I’ll be able to learn from someone that has started and runs a successful business that requires a lot of capital. Win-win situation. Find a win-win situation for yourself.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Callum Fergusson -- please do not delete threads or edit them to say nothing.

When people spend time to respond to a thread, and then you go deleting shit, you're are STEALING their time.

If this is a problem and you need your username CHANGED, please message me. Or I can even delete your account. Be we are not in the business of deleting threads.

IMPORTANT! - Delete thread - please don't ask.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In fairness to my parents, I am admittedly far too lazy

And yet you want to claim the mountain summit, and yet refuse to see the mountain.

Watch this video -- I think it best explains the paradigm you're fighting right now.

But yet you besmirch hard working people, don't want to grind, do anything remotely difficult, boring, or not related to NetFlix or video games. Dontcha think that will be a problem?

Building and maintaining some sort of passive income stream

LOL. The odds of your mindset producing passive income is about the same odds of you walking out of a casino a millionaire after starting with a hundred bucks.

Read 20 books this year

Normally I'd call this an action fake.

But in your case, I say go for it.

Your mind and expectations needs fixing.

Slowlane crock

• Get a job up the pub, then you can see how businesses really work"
  • Dad: "Son, you're going to have to work for a lot of people you don't like in your life" Sorry dad but I actually quite like myself

And here's what you don't get: That is NOT Slowlane crock. It's Slowlane crock because you want to dismiss those facts... you don't have an interest in seeing how a business works, you don't have an interest in working 20 hours a week, and you don't want to work for anyone else, even if it becomes a part of the process.

I'm making this thread NOTABLE because it is a perfect example on why young people never succeed.

This isn't to castigate you or your dream -- I hope it's a wake up call for you because with your fixed mindset, anti-work, anti-Slowlane, anti-boss, "I'm too cool, too good, too valuable" attitude, you''ll never succeed.

I hope this helps you. You see what's possible, yet, you're blinded to what is needed to make that possible.

And there you have it: You've just been mentored by an author who's work you claim to enjoy.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
And yet you want to claim the mountain summit, and yet refuse to see the mountain.

Watch this video -- I think it best explains the paradigm you're fighting right now.

But yet you besmirch hard working people, don't want to grind, do anything remotely difficult, boring, or not related to NetFlix or video games. Dontcha think that will be a problem?

LOL. The odds of your mindset producing passive income is about the same odds of you walking out of a casino a millionaire after starting with a hundred bucks.

Normally I'd call this an action fake.

But in your case, I say go for it.

Your mind and expectations needs fixing.

And here's what you don't get: That is NOT Slowlane crock. It's Slowlane crock because you want to dismiss those facts... you don't have an interest in seeing how a business works, you don't have an interest in working 20 hours a week, and you don't want to work for anyone else, even if it becomes a part of the process.

I'm making this thread NOTABLE because it is a perfect example on why young people never succeed.

This isn't to castigate you or your dream -- I hope it's a wake up call for you because with your fixed mindset, anti-work, anti-Slowlane, anti-boss, "I'm too cool, too good, too valuable" attitude, you''ll never succeed.

And there you have it: You've just been mentored by an author who's work you claim to enjoy.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada

I hope this helps you. You see what's possible, yet, you're blinded to what is needed to make that possible.

@Callum Fergusson I sure hope you make it through this thread and read MJ's post, though I suspect that your reaction to all of the above replies will be to run away with your tail between your legs. One and Done!

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life

Bonus

All the best Callum.

i'm sorry but i think this is the worst introduction i've ever read ( and that's saying something because i've definately had my moments) you sound rude, condescending, disrespectful, i really dont like your personality at all, try to approach things from a less i know everything attitude and be more humble / teachable you're no better than a piece of dirt got it?

Bonus

All the best Callum.

if i was to harsh i apologize

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

And this is probably your problem.

Notice the common theme? All these goals and desires are selfish, narcissistic and inward focused.

No goals or desires to reach out to the world and solve a problem.

A better goal is what can you do now that makes you more valuable to an audience or market? Improve any skill that puts you in a better position to add value to a problem?

I remember living with my parents and their constant slowlane haggling. I remember feeling a sense of urgency to move out and be independent.

But the truth is that the universe doesn't give a damn.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How you do anything is how you will do everything...

Musashi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Nov 27, 2017
The World
Just stumbled over this passage in Unscripted : "Your best bet at uncovering a great idea and paving your unscripted path comes from the worst thing an entrepreneur wants to do: get a damn job". Seems like MJ wrote this sentence just for you. ;)

I know, this thread turned out a lot different than you might have expected.

But do not let it discourage you. You are young and you have all the time in the world to achieve all of your goals. (I wish I would have read TMF and Unscripted with 17). Try to reduce the time you spend mindlessly and start providing value to the people around you. Every. Single. Day.

How?

The opportunities are endless. Learn to see them. You can start with helping that old lady to cross the street, help your sister to fix her bike or give a compliment to a stranger and make his/her day. Thats how you acquire the right mindset - step by step. If you want to make millions at the end, you will have to provide value for millions.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
$56 on his 1st thread.... that ain't bad. lol
Good grief.... you count internet money as a solid ROI?:happy::rofl::rofl::rofl:
But well, better than nothing done at all.

Not many people have the talent to hit NOTABLE on their first at bat....

There's a big difference between becoming a bestseller by writing good books, and becoming a bestseller by hacking the Top Books list with an expensive launch lol.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I was in the same situation as OP after I read TMF the first time, so I hope he will come back and learn.

I even used to think I was gonna make it simply because I believed I was gonna make it. Hard work was just for suckers who didn't know this secret, lol.

If you constantly consume fluffy self-development stuff and you suddenly add TMF , it's a logical reaction. It's also why people seek that golden idea that does not violate one commandment. And it's why Unscripted puts many things into context and therefore a mustread.

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
slow lane quotes.
There are many. "Get a job". That one started years ago in my life. Variations apply. Now moving with more value towards a market. Getting to this point did require having a 'job that you hate'. Now that you are here. Get reading unscripted first #1. A humble recommendation. Cheers.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Today after school I had to run and pick up more washers & dryers so I told my grandson which washers and dryers had just came in. He said he didn't want to clean washers & dryers today. So I made it short and sweet..... get some pants on (he normally wears shorts) and take a pen with you and don't forget to comb your hair. He looked up and asked, "Where am I going?". I said, "You need to walk over and get a job by the time I get back if you aren't going to work for me".

I was about 5 minutes from being back when he text and asked if I was almost back home because he had finished cleaning them and was waiting on the last set I was bringing back. lol

See how I didn't give him an option to work or not.... I just gave him an option of WHERE he was going to work. That's what more parents need to do these days.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Didn't read through your entire thread, but remember:

Slowlane and Fastlane are not physical. It's simply a frame of mindset (as per my understanding).

You could be busting your a$$ cleaning dishes for €9.15 ph while spending the rest of your free time building a business - Fastlane Mindset.

OR
You could be working a comfortable office job for €20 ph while spending the rest of your free time watching nonsense TV shows - Slowlane Mindset.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Callum Fergusson you have a huge opportunity here to help yourself (and help many others coming behind you)....
set a reminder in your phone or device to come back to this thread one year from now and 'repost' your thoughts. Will be incredibly interesting (and valuable) to see if your mindset is the same. Good luck in your journey! Your current start gives you a great opportunity for learning.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I'm going to go on my favorite "what young people need to do" rant:

If you are living in your parents' house and don't even have a job, at least contribute physically. Clean, cook (yes, even guys who date supermodels should learn basic life skills), take out the trash. Do small things for them. Make them GLAD to have you. Regardless of whether you have a job, they are keeping you from being homeless.

And like someone said above, slow lane and fast lane are ways of thinking. Most "slow lane" folks I know make well into 6 figures. They don't sit around their parents' basement dreaming of supermodels, they save lives, teach, mentor, and some run businesses on the side.

If you're going to read this year, you should also read the classics, as many as you can. I recommend starting with Marcus Aurelius Meditations, all of Shakespeare, and Aristotle's Categories. The Meditations are what I would call the first motivational quotes. One of my favorites: "Instead of debating about what a good man is, be one". HINT
Shakespeare will help you understand human nature and how people think (also, getting a job helps you learn how people think)

Aristotle's Categories will teach you how logic works. Like if all A is B and all B is C, then all A is C. The ability to think logically is beyond price.

Before you dream of supermodels, improve yourself. Make yourself pleasant to be around, learn to think, educate yourself (if Lincoln did it so can anyone, you don't have to go to university).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.