• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Ideas. Ideas. Ideas. Execution starts today.

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Hugh Nivers, Feb 28, 2018.

Please read the OP from the TL;DR — Choose 2 businesses that make the most CENTS. Thx.

Poll closed Mar 8, 2018.
  1. VectoryVictory.com

41.7%
  2. Good To Go

12.5%
  3. AptOffer.com

16.7%
  4. Tabl.store

29.2%
  5. LaunchShit.com

20.8%
  6. DrinkSteve.com

4.2%
  7. WFPBase.com

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hygenie.club

8.3%
  9. Stikits.club

8.3%
  10. FaceValue.store

4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hugh Nivers

Hugh Nivers Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Thank you to everyone who participated in the poll. I know that it was a lot of work for you to read through my rambling ideas and make a choice and I really appreciate you taking the time. I'm almost out of reputation points as a result—lol.

The poll closes in an hour and the victory goes to Vector Victory with Together Tables (that's the new name) coming in second. So what's my verdict?

[Drum Roll Please]

After much thought and a few weighted decision making matrices—here's my last one:
    Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 3.23.18 PM.png
    I've opted to go with Together Tables!

There are several issues to consider including liability (thank you @eliquid ) and outsourcing of manufacturing and distribution (thank you @Carol Jones), but those things will come through process and kinetic execution.

So I think the next step needs to be an action plan in the form of a spreadsheet or trello board or something. The first thing I'd like to do is create a couple of tables with the typographic elements so I can have confidence in that part of the process. I've done a couple of tables, but without the type.

So that's the plan. From here on out, I will be posting progress toward my goals which are to:

1. Make Together Tables into a force for good by creating a narrative around the humble yet potentially heroic TABLE as a touchstone | totem | talisman imbued with the magic of love, unity, and togetherness in the lives of families and organizations.
    2. Achieve sales of 7,000 units per year by the end of year 3 at ~$600 net profit per unit. This should put the asset value of Together Tables around $10MM by the end of year 5 or 6. Then sell.

I may be out of my mind, but these are the goals. Thanks again to everyone for your help. I look forward to your encouragement and criticisms.

Thanks,

Dave

Rockford, Genius01, Jello and 2 others like this.
  2. Hugh Nivers

Hugh Nivers Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Together Tables ~ Day 1 ~ wherein I discuss my plans for my tiny workspace in my messy and tiny yard.

This video is embarrassing, but I want to share myself and my thoughts, so I can get feedback on what I need to work on both about me and my ideas. As an introvert, one of the things I need to know is how I'll handle putting myself out there more. If I come off as a little insane, lol, just know that I'm trying to put some energy into this, so it may not read as 100% natural. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    andyhaus44, Xeon, Genius01 and 3 others like this.
  3. Carol Jones

Carol Jones Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $17,574
    Congratulation Dave @Hugh Nivers from Oz!

You've made an excellent choice. It was my favourite.

Because.

It connects you to humanity. Which is one of the reasons you've given for choosing it as well. It allows you to develop a deep connection to the family. Or business. You're creating your table for. And is potentially an unstoppable word of mouth business.

This is a link you'll be very interested in. Home

Let me tell you the story of my table.

It's 41 years old. Was crafted by a talented carpenter. To order. For my partner. An architect. When we first met.

It's of solid pine. Very thick.

And after 41 years, is full of imperfections. Indentations. Scratches. Scuff marks.

But it's also rich in history.

It's where we entertained friends and family in our 41 years of being together.

It's where we've sat together. And planned our businesses.

First Victor's architectural practice in Sydney. My market research company.

And finally, our current business, The Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover And Other Goodies.

We have done the proverbial 'starting a business on the dining room table'. Three times.

It's where we cut out. And sewed. The first 500 Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Covers. Before we made the decision that this was a business. And I wanted it off the dining room table.

It's where we sit every breakfast. Lunch. And. Dinner. And discuss whatever is on our mind.

And every Saturday. When I wax it. I take a trip down memory lane. With every imperfection.

This table is so rich with the history of our life together, I could never part with it.

Regarding insurance.

We deal with a business insurance broker.

We have 4 types of insurance for our business.

Public Liability. Which covers us for AUD$20Million per claim. If anyone injures themselves with one of our products. Or injures themselves when we exhibit outside of our business. And if they injure themselves while visiting our business.

Business Insurance. Which covers us for any loss we may incur if for some reason we are prevented from operating our business. Or if our business equipment is damaged. Or stolen.

Transportation Insurance. Which covers our products against loss and damage. In the post and/or by courier delivery. When raw materials are shipped to our sewing company. When our sewing company ships finished product to us.

Property Insurance. Which cover us for burglary. Acts of God. Incidental damage.

These policies cost us AUD$12,000 per year. Which we pay $1,000 per month.

If you think this is excessive. Think of what will happen if you're not covered.

Every responsible business needs insurance of this type. It's a cost of doing business. And should be incorporated into your operating expenses.

Back to Together Tables. I love the name. And can see you - in the future - writing your book now, Mr Universe!

Thank you! For including us in your journey. It's been very exciting. And a learning experience for both you. And us.

You now walk so much taller. What you thought was a weakness. Is actually a skill that many people in this forum wish they had. The ability to create ideas.

Forward! Charge!! ~Carol❤

4. Carol Jones

Carol Jones Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $17,574
    In your position, Dave @Hugh Nivers, since you're essentially making custom designed tables, it's possible to generate a cash upfront payment from your customer. Which you can then use to source raw materials. And make the product for your customer.

Yes. You'll need to be able to make prototypes. But you should be able to pay for this via credit card. Which is how most people start their small businesses. They may not admit it. But most people max out their credit cards in the prototype stage.

You could also see if the banks believe in you.

For crowdfunding, you need a large following. @JAJT has been successful with this in creating funding for his Bone Owl Puzzle business. Read his thread. I'm sure it can be of help.

Regarding paying your supplier, make sure your terms of payment are: payment is due 30 days in the following month in which you place your order. These are normal payment terms in Australia.

That's as far as I can help you, Dave. I hope this helps. ~Carol❤

Jello and Hugh Nivers like this.
  5. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Thank you @Carol Jones.

Wow! I love the romance of the videos and images on that site. Thanks for pointing me to it. I like their backyard community concept. Very unique. I definitely use this for guidance and inspiration when designing the Together Tables site.

Such a beautiful, personal, an intimate story. Thanks for sharing. You have demonstrated exactly what I want people to feel about their Together Table in time. You've also sparked a new idea which I've made note of. I won't get into it just yet; it's still fragile. ;)

Yes. I understand. I've have to start shopping for it. Thank you.

Geez Carol. You're a bright light. Thank you for your encouragement. I hope you're around for a long time to come.

Xeon, Genius01 and Carol Jones like this.
  6. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Great advice all the way around. Thanks for the tip about @JAJT. I went by his site earlier today. Fun concept. I'll definitely need to pick his brain about crowdsourcing. Thx again.

Carol Jones likes this.
  7. becks22

becks22 90% coffee, 10% everything else Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,854
    Speaking of the tables and puzzles from @JAJT. I found this brilliant coffee table plan and I was thinking of seeing if my brother in law can build it for me. I might need to bribe him with more cigars though.

There's a ton of cool stuff you can do with a table and families especially will see the value in a well designed table. My parents had a table in the den which had a top with a hinge that lifted up. My sister and I loved that table growing up. It was the perfect spot for HW, reading, watching TV, eating dinner. I actually think my sister still has that table somewhere. Anyway, I'm really excited to see what you do with this. Tables can really help add value to someone's home especially in tiny apartments or condos where there isn't a ton of space.

Coffee-Table-with-Puzzle-Pullout.jpg
    Source : DIY Coffee Table With Pullouts - Home Made By Carmona

Xeon, Hugh Nivers and Carol Jones like this.
  8. Carol Jones

Rep Bank:
    $17,574
    @Hugh Nivers

❤❤❤ ~Carol❤

9. Jello

Jello Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $447
    Nothing to be embarrassed about, I do like the video and you got yourself a subscriber on your YouTube channel.

At the moment I'm reading unscripted and this reminds of the Kaizen principle described in chapter 19. No problem you're a introvert (like myself) with a growth mindset it's possible to bypass this just by doing it. Not to become extroverted but learning how to deal with it. Just another example how @mjdemarco his books and the forum complete eachother and inspire certain people like yourself who have it in them.

I'm following your progress closely and am enjoying it. Also because after I'm done with unscripted I'll join the insiders and post my own progress thread (getting out of my comfort zone will be the hardest part). Anyway you're a inspiration to me. Just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll get there.

Hugh Nivers likes this.
  10. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Thanks @Jello ,

Kaizen is definitely my approach to this—one small step at a time.

I appreciate the encouragement and I'm glad to have you along for the journey. Let me now how I can help you out. Do you have any ideas you're ready to get to work on yet?

Jello likes this.
  11. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    That's a great table and it's giving me ideas. ;)

Thanks for sharing your table story. I love it. It goes to show just how central this one piece of furniture can be in people's lives. I wonder if people feel the same away about their couches, lol.

becks22 likes this.
  12. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    After deciding on the business, my ToDo list just got very long, so my first order of business is to establish some order. ;)

TASK ORGANIZER

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Jello likes this.
  13. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    This past week my son and I completed a table (95% complete anyway). It's not terrible, but it's not great. There are lots of flaws. We're both noobs at this, but we're enjoying the process. When I envision the goals that we've set and I place this week's efforts into that context, the progress feels glacially slow, especially when the results are subpar. Still, we have a table now.

In this video, awkwardness abounds, lol. Enjoy:

IMG_6765.jpeg

There are some exposed bolts that we forgot to countersink the hole for, so we'll be hacking a solution for that as well. I'll put a picture of the 100% finished table soon.

Jello, Xeon, Genius01 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    I'll probably regret putting this video up, but I look at doing so as an exercise in facing my fears. In this video, I sit on my couch and pontificate about fun things such as "Rep Envy" and learning to overcome selfish tendencies. [Spoiler alert] The learning isn't done yet.

I also dip into next steps for Together Tables now that our last table project is just about finished.

Argue likes this.
  15. Carol Jones

Rep Bank:
    $17,574
    G'day Dave @Hugh Nivers from Oz,

I saw the video. Liked it. It's raw. But true.

If this is something you desire. And want to do. As Napoleon Hill says, "Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything."

And remember. You're not going to be making them into infinity. Once you know what's required of making a table, you'll be outsourcing it to professionals more skilled than you are. But you need to know how it's made. Before you can hand it over to someone else. Just so that you know the process.

This is exactly what we did with all our products. We made the first 'X' amount. Before handing it over to a sewing company. Just so we knew the problems they may have.

This is just the beginning. And you're doing just fine. ~Carol❤

16. Genius01

Genius01 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $848
    I think that's standard for almost all startups, pace seems painfully slow at first, then picks up exponentially till you find yourself having a hockey stick growth curve, and wondering how you got there all of a "sudden".
    You're on the right path, keep it up.
    Kudos for "kinetic execution".

17. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Thanks @Carol Jones,

I think building and selling the first 100 or 1,000 tables is the right thing to do. I may decide to hand it over to another company or three, just to make sure no single company controls our business or I may decided to build a larger production facility. It's far too early to decide, but I agree that it will probably be best to get more skilled craftsmen handling the manufacturing.

I just signed my son and I up to use a local makerspace, so for now, we've got a much larger facility to grow in and it costs a fraction of what it would cost to have our own shop. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Carol Jones likes this.
  18. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    I would love to have a hockey stick growth curve, lol, that sounds awesome. Thanks for nice thought at the end of a somewhat long day. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Jello and Genius01 like this.
  19. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Kinetic Execution Update

I believe I have a better solution to having a good table building workshop, rather than just enlarging our backyard workshop. Instead we are going to pay for a membership at the Idea Fab Labs in Chico where we can reserve the woodshop and the CNC Shopbot Router for up to 8 hours each week. We can still do some of the home in our backyard and reserve the time at the Fab Lab for router work and major assembly tasks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Jello likes this.
  20. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Kinetic Execution Update

After signing up this week for the Idea Fab Labs, I laid out some typography in Adobe Illustrator, bought some MDF and headed over to use the Shopbot CNC router for the very first time. It was a good test. There is a lot more to learn in order to make this work on tables, but the result came out pretty good.

The sign is not perfect, but let me know if you want it @MJDeMarco. I'll add some finishing touches and ship it to you. :)

It's Spring Break next week, so I'll be spending a lot of time doing tests like this and hopefully getting at least one table top done.

Jello, Genius01 and Xeon like this.
  21. Xeon

Xeon Nessuna macchina per me se non una Pagani Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,037
    The documentation and process in this thread is reminding me of Vick's epic eyewear thread!

Don't worry about the videos and being "awkward" lol. The fact that you as an introvert dare to make youtube videos already prove you've bigger balls than other introverts like myself

You should do more videos of you and your son/family in the process of assembling the table, the whole hard-at-work stuff, as well as those vids like that CNC cutting vid (looks beautiful in real life btw). As a guy, I find these sort of manual labor stuff very interesting to watch.
    Then on your About page and social media, you'll have plenty to post and lots of stories to tell and draw people in ("We were bringing the table out into the open when this fat squirrel dashed across my legs...).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Jello and Hugh Nivers like this.
  22. Genius01

Rep Bank:
    $848
    Looks cool!

Hugh Nivers and Jello like this.
  23. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441

Thanks @Xeon ,

I appreciate the encouragement.

I'm planning to do more videos. Whether anyone watches or not, I'd like to have a good record of the events leading up to success or failure or pivot to something else.

What are you working on at the moment? Let me know how I can encourage you. Thx.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Xeon likes this.
  24. Hugh Nivers

Rep Bank:
    $441
    Some still images from today's CNC router practice:

IMG_6817.JPG IMG_6818.JPG IMG_6819.JPG IMG_6820.JPG IMG_6821.JPG IMG_6822.JPG

Jello, Genius01 and Xeon like this.
  25. Genius01

Rep Bank:
    $848
    Lol, finding these interesting.
    What exactly is this CNC Router thingy? Is it like some software you use to design whatever you are going to imprint on your table, before translating the actual designs to your table?
    Pardon my novice question, don't have a clue about these things...

Hugh Nivers likes this.