The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I received a scary e-mail from Google Maps....

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
"You're receiving this email because you turned on Location History, a Google Account-level setting that saves where you go in your private Timeline."

I don't remember doing this ever, but if I did, holy shit.
Some people I shared this with, told me: "Yeah...everyone knows this."
It's like it's a normal thing. I just found about it now? :|

They just shared with me every location, with date that I have visited since 2014..

GOING TO THE CLUB HOUSE TO GO TO THE GYM ON JUNE 16, 2014 WAS RECORDED. WHERE I WENT THERE ON A 10 MINUTE WALK WITHOUT USING MAPS.
ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME?

The CIA/FBI ain't got NOTHING on Google man.
They can generate an autobiography on me in one click. What else do they know about me?

I know this might sound old to you, but what are your thoughts on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
idk, i kinda like that stuff - as long as its easy to turn it off.
Really helpful if i need to remember where i was a certain day or hour 2 weeks ago

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
They can generate an autobiography on me in one click. What else do they know about me?

I've been reading Permanent Record, Edward Snowden's book. They got a lot more on you than Google does.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
My thoughts are that people in America will grow ever more accustomed to this level of non privacy until it’s as common as getting hot water from a faucet.

Meanwhile, they’ll disregard every person who talks about conspiracy theories as “crazy” because who would ever want to go live in the woods or a foreign country just for privacy?!? It’s ridiculous! Privacy is a thing of the past! It’s outdated! Privacy is what rich ppl have to pay for! Privacy isn’t for everyone!

Then, the government will combine with large corporations to control food, medicine, credit, currency, travel, and education.

Mandatory chipping (like they do to dogs right now) is next btw, along with laws changing authority in the home, stripping parental rights more and more so that pedophilia will someday become perfectly acceptable and even, somehow, a “right” that should be guaranteed by the Constitution. Because if you can decide to change your body based on who you feel you are why in the world can’t you decide who to touch or love or sleep with? The number 18 is SO arbitrary!

This future system I’m describing will (hopefully) last less than two hundred years due to corruption and insanity but in the meantime everyone who depended on technology for their livelihood will become a slave to the ppl who control it.

St. Benedict could have been a rich dude in Rome, well protected from the barbarians who were attacking Rome during a time that seemed filled with problems, instead he started a monastery. Good thing too because those monks helped save a ton of learning during the Dark Ages. He couldn’t have know it then but he was alive during the Fall of Rome, and if not for him and his monks the Dark Ages would have been quite a bit darker.

People will survive, tell stories, safeguard history and the health of their children to somehow go on. When the next great Awakening in science or art or technology occurs.. some of them will be around to help learn from the mistakes of the past and make the next place even better. The world has seen dark ages before. The more you study history the more you seethe repetition.

In other news, because now I’m in FULL rant mode, China had the one child policy for three decades. Do you know what a nation of men do, when they don’t have extra women? Hmmm. Millions of men with no possibility for finding someone to be intimate with.. whatever would they do.. if they’re not constantly entertained..

Or we could talk about the Crusades. Those are ancient history right? We definitely don’t see the spread of any religions infiltrating government systems to change laws and gain control.. hm.

But of course, this all seems sooooo crazy..let’s not talk about it. We can discuss how Google Earth knows where I am right now, or that fb just figured out what I ordered.

I’ll just get myself another caramel macchiato.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Google actually has a way for you to download the entire archive of everything they have on you - it takes about a day. There's basically EVERY voice recording from your google voice searches, your locations, your search history, etc. Basically 500gb or something like that...

I think there's a going joke that elf on the shelf is a way of getting children used to constant surveillance - I was at my cousins for Christmas and she had at least 10 of these fake Santa cams around their house, cute idea but kind of creepy
s-l300.jpg

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I had no idea of this, but I checked mine and it is off. It just saves my YouTube history which is useful.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
ATTENTION: TO ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY, I AM EXPLICITLY WITHDRAWING MY PERMISSION TO USE OR STORE MY FACEBOOK INFORMATION IN THE FUTURE. COPY AND PASTE THIS STATUS INTO YOUR STATUS TO PREVENT THEM FROM TAKING YOUR DATA.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
ATTENTION: TO ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY, I AM EXPLICITLY WITHDRAWING MY PERMISSION TO USE OR STORE MY FACEBOOK INFORMATION IN THE FUTURE. COPY AND PASTE THIS STATUS INTO YOUR STATUS TO PREVENT THEM FROM TAKING YOUR DATA.

You forgot to say that your icon will turn blue

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, this is scary. i turned mine off. It doesn't matter, though.

The amount of data Google has on us is mind-boggling. What's scarier is what Google can do with the data. With their massive datasets, they can correlate certain activity with other tendencies.

Consider the following made up example:

People who shop at Ross, search for eastern-medicine flu remedies and work at the Gap are much more likely to be into BDSM than people that shop at Target. You may have never searched for BDSM on your Google account at all, but the fact that they know everything else about you means they can pretty accurately guess that you're into BDSM because everyone else that matches your other search characteristics are also into BDSM.

So ... they know a lot, and can pretty accurately guess a whole lot more, even if you have location tracking turned off.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
It's not just Google. A few years ago, Chase had a full page ad showing a little Korean grandma in front of a monster truck. The ad read "We didn't think so either". It was an announcement of their shiny new policy to cancel any credit card payment that didn't fit your purchase profile.

Needless to say, I am now on the phone with them annually, opting out of that draconian, asinine policy. I can buy a monster truck if I want to. and Korean food. On the same day, even.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
In other news, because now I’m in FULL rant mode, China had the one child policy for three decades. Do you know what a nation of men do, when they don’t have extra women? Hmmm. Millions of men with no possibility for finding someone to be intimate with.. whatever would they do.. if they’re not constantly entertained..

From the article:

"Experts have warned that, by 2055, there will be 30 per cent more single men than women."

Are there any statistics on the % of men without women and levels of violence?

Though equally dystopian, I could see those men plugging themselves into whatever digital SOMA might be available at the time.

Though even ignoring raw head count between the sexes, a similar problem exists for many men in the West where they lack money / education / whatever social status markers to get a long term mate.

Regardless of where you are or what you want, it's never been a better time to be a winner, and never been a more painful time to not be one.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
How to delete your Google location history:

Though let's be real - they track you regardless of your settings and keep your data even when you delete it.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018

Though let's be real - they track you regardless of your settings and keep your data even when you delete it.
Exactly what I was thinking man.

I mean it is sad that I only feel it when I see it...I knew all along they know everything about me even much more than what's shown...but it's like: "Here look man, here's a glimpse of what we know about you, panic for a bit, maybe we'll get you used to it quicker".

:/

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Exactly what I was thinking man.

I mean it is sad that I only feel it when I see it...I knew all along they know everything about me even much more than what's shown...but it's like: "Here look man, here's a glimpse of what we know about you, panic for a bit, maybe we'll get you used to it quicker".

:/

People in power have always been up to BS. It's neither sad nor happy - it's just a fact of life.

I think of misuses of power in the same way that I view hurricanes, earthquakes, or snowstorms - inevitable forces of nature that I just work around.

They're easy to deal with when you see them as technical problems rather than moral problems, since they'll always exist.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Lol they have everything you’ve ever done on your computer, Gmail, phone, internet.

Every search you’ve ever made, every app, even the location of where you took your photos if you don’t turn it off.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Yup. For example, Google now powers starbucks WiFi. And of course you never turn off WiFi. So when you drive by a Starbucks and your phone searches for local networks, a little bit of data gets captured there. Cell tower signals. Bluetooth.

Why do you think Google bought Waze? A free product that knows who is on the road and where and how fast. They are tracking so much of where everyone is going.

But sure, turn off the location history. Can't make it easy for them.

“Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”

“The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.”

For those who want to go down the rabbit hole a little further, here's a start...

And I think this situation is just kind of interesting...

Last edited:

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Google is tracking me no matter what I do. Enabling location history just gives me access to my own data for my use.

I've used this feature multiple times. It's great. If I want to remember where I road my motorbike last month, boom just look at location history.

One time I even used it to find a lost car. We drove around for an hour looking ad couldn't find it. By using location history I was able to see where I had searches and not searched. Found it on the last street I hadn't been yet.

A couple of journalists did some test a while back where they carry multiple phones around with them for a day. Some apple, some Android. Some on, some off, and some on airplane mode. They found that all the phones tracked every detail of their movement. They even found that the phone that was off tracked the most details....

There's no escaping it unless you walk travel without a phone, Apple watch, credit card, and friends with phones.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
"You're receiving this email because you turned on Location History, a Google Account-level setting that saves where you go in your private Timeline."

I don't remember doing this ever, but if I did, holy shit.
Some people I shared this with, told me: "Yeah...everyone knows this."
It's like it's a normal thing. I just found about it now? :|

They just shared with me every location, with date that I have visited since 2014..

GOING TO THE CLUB HOUSE TO GO TO THE GYM ON JUNE 16, 2014 WAS RECORDED. WHERE I WENT THERE ON A 10 MINUTE WALK WITHOUT USING MAPS.
ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME?

I know this might sound old to you, but what are your thoughts on this?
Uh yeah, you should watch Citizenfour. It details how the NSA uses Google data to gather intel on every person. You also get to watch the whole Snowden thing unfold in real time.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Google is tracking me no matter what I do. Enabling location history just gives me access to my own data for my use.

I've used this feature multiple times. It's great. If I want to remember where I road my motorbike last month, boom just look at location history.

One time I even used it to find a lost car. We drove around for an hour looking ad couldn't find it. By using location history I was able to see where I had searches and not searched. Found it on the last street I hadn't been yet.

A couple of journalists did some test a while back where they carry multiple phones around with them for a day. Some apple, some Android. Some on, some off, and some on airplane mode. They found that all the phones tracked every detail of their movement. They even found that the phone that was off tracked the most details....

There's no escaping it unless you walk travel without a phone, Apple watch, credit card, and friends with phones.
That's interesting that the phones that were off gathered the most data. I wonder if the battery were taken out if it would still work? Sounds ridiculous but I wouldn't be surprised if Android devices all had secondary batteries. I've never studied it.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Both of googles CEO's resigned recently. Billionaire Peter Thiel pretty much called them traitors for working with china instead of USA in their most advanced projects. Trump said he will "look into it".
Justisce is coming.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I'm in a small minority but I honestly don't care about privacy. In fact, I embrace that this is an inevitable change that comes with technology.

I believe fighting it is like refusing to use social media or facetime. It's inevitable because it's what the market wants whether they know it or not.

People want life to be easier, faster, convenient via their phone, their smart watches, their tv, etc. etc. Well... guess what directly powers much of the innovation?

Imo; there's tons more pros than cons.

Marketers don't complain one bit about the super powerful algorithms that Facebook allows you to use to tap into billions of people to separate them from their wallets.... efficiently. FBA sellers don't complain about getting more product listing views. (excluding the literal hundreds of thousands of other applications that's helped entrepreneurs make money in our super booming internet world)... It's all driven directly by collected "privacy" data.

As long as I'm not doing something illegal like moving coke across borders, I could care less if Google or the government knows what my favorite drink is while I walk to lunch on Wednesday. Hell, actually, please can some app go ahead and order it for me in advance by suggestion? hmm... Siri suggestions? Err... what's that.. a discount code being flashed right before my eyes at lunch time for a place I love to go? Yes, yes, and yes.

What's that? The CIA just took down a terrorist cell (zero media coverage because classified) that had concrete plans to replicate 9/11 except this time via private jets in 2 weeks because because of whats that? "Privacy" data, face recognition, pattern tracking, phone call bugging?? Yeah...

Have my data.

Last edited:

Kshatriya

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 13, 2014
Where am I?
Early last year, my family & I had been to a city in our neighbouring state. A customer of our B&M store visited my hometown during the time and noticed we were closed.

While meeting me after I returned, he said: You had been to <City Name>. You visited <Temple 1> and spent about 30 minutes, then you went to the <Temple 2> and stayed there for about 1½ or 2 hours. Totally 3 of you had been there. I was like "WOW!!". Source of information can't be social media, because I neither took a single photograph nor did I post anything.

He's a businessperson with keen senses, a phenomenal memory and an extra-ordinary learning skill. He has developed a great grip on all subjects he has come across. He said: "It's available on Google. I just entered your mobile number and it shows everything." I'm sure it's not as simple. Nonetheless, I still wonder how come he got access to all details.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Wow, I too got an email and here is what mine said, "You are receiving this email because as we were spying on you, we realized that you are one boring man. You go to the same boring websites, you never look at websites that you shouldn't look at (well, besides that 1 time.... :blush: ) and after automatically turning on the camera on your phone to see why you keep making short trips to different addresses, we figured out that you are actually working! Speaking of cameras, please put some clothes on before you sit in front of your desk top from now on. You are going to need to step it up and give us something to follow or we will no longer be able to offer you any services. We need action! Thanks, Team Google

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Yeeeeaaah.

People actually want privacy. They may not care about it, but they should because it's a CHOICE, and you need to have that choice.

I'm a marketer, and your data is tremendously valuable. Why do I value your data more than you?

It's all good until some governmental agency uses it as a weapon against us. I want the option of NOT being surveilled, even though most of the time I don't care. I want the choice.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Aaaand that will have just about as much effect as tying a good-luck charm on your willy.

What's that? The CIA just took down a terrorist cell (zero media coverage because classified) that had concrete plans to replicate 9/11 except this time via private jets in 2 weeks because because of whats that? "Privacy" data, face recognition, pattern tracking, phone call bugging??
Yes, it can absolutely be used for good. But like any incredibly powerful tool, it can be used for evil. You're relying on governments and corporations to behave and "do what's right" with this power. They don't have a great track record on that.

MacQNE

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
May 19, 2019
Have my data.

There are certainly a lot of pros and cons on either side of the privacy discussion. I am a mobile app developer. One of our apps track family movement for the sole purpose of safety due to where we live.

Feedback during Beta testing showed some users had no interest in anybody knowing where they are, even if it was their spouse or child and even when safety was an issue.

As a service provider, you have to respect that. You must clearly communicate to your user what is recorded, when it is recorded, how it is stored, what it is used for and, in my opinion, allow them to delete all this information permanently (like it never existed) if they want to do so - give the user full control. In our case we don't keep (literally delete) information past 7 days because we don't want to foot the bill for storage costs - that's a win for both us and the customer.

An interesting discussion to listen to would be this interview with Barry Eisler
View: https://youtu.be/EK3rwdZxzMk
. The discussion centers around his book God's Eye View (fiction) that depicts a scenario where data is collected and someone internally finds out.

Another interesting book on this topic is The Art of Invisibility by Kevin Mitnick. If I'm not mistaken he says that you may not have anything to hide but you have everything to protect - which makes sense. I'm paraphrasing badly but he often says, when people say "I have nothing to hide", just ask them to hand over their phone so you can go through their emails and texts. Or ask them if you can listen in on every telephone conversation they will have in the next week. I doubt anybody will feel comfortable doing that. And it's not because you're busy with shady dealings - having someone snoop through your life is odd, it's disquieting.

With technology, we realize it's essentially what's happening, but we may not want to think about it too much or we may be OK with it because we feel it's a machine and not a human. It's uncomfortable to know that a human can one day decide you deserve the full attention of all the resources available to them and hone ALL that machine power in on YOUR life, splaying out every bit and byte on a timeline until they know you better than you will ever know yourself.... :)

In my view, it's not about whether your information can/cannot be collected, it is about whether you have someone's permission to do so. It's about a vote.

Context is everything. Any piece of information can be taken and misconstrued to depict a wrong interpretation of events out of context.

As much as technology with big data has been used for things frowned upon, it has been used for really amazing and kickass good things too.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I'm in a small minority but I honestly don't care about privacy. In fact, I embrace that this is an inevitable change that comes with technology.

I believe fighting it is like refusing to use social media or facetime. It's inevitable because it's what the market wants whether they know it or not.

People want life to be easier, faster, convenient via their phone, their smart watches, their tv, etc. etc. Well... guess what directly powers much of the innovation?

Imo; there's tons more pros than cons.

Marketers don't complain one bit about the super powerful algorithms that Facebook allows you to use to tap into billions of people to separate them from their wallets.... efficiently. FBA sellers don't complain about getting more product listing views. (excluding the literal hundreds of thousands of other applications that's helped entrepreneurs make money in our super booming internet world)... It's all driven directly by collected "privacy" data.

As long as I'm not doing something illegal like moving coke across borders, I could care less if Google or the government knows what my favorite drink is while I walk to lunch on Wednesday. Hell, actually, please can some app go ahead and order it for me in advance by suggestion? hmm... Siri suggestions? Err... what's that.. a discount code being flashed right before my eyes at lunch time for a place I love to go? Yes, yes, and yes.

What's that? The CIA just took down a terrorist cell (zero media coverage because classified) that had concrete plans to replicate 9/11 except this time via private jets in 2 weeks because because of whats that? "Privacy" data, face recognition, pattern tracking, phone call bugging?? Yeah...

Have my data.

That's how they encroach on your freedom by saying its for "good." People like you that make light of an individual's freedom are the perfect sheep for the government. Today they'll sew a yellow star on your clothes but that's ok right it's only a star. Plus you're not doing anything wrong right.? Next thing you know three years later you're on the ground suffocating because they decided to gas you instead.

"oh well geez guys don't do anything wrong or bad and it won't be a problem" duurp durrp. They'll just keep adding things to the "bad" or "wrong" to the list.

The CIA is always taking down terrorist and their plans. Time after time it turns out the CIA made those plans. There was a kid that an undercover CIA agent convinced to go blow up a hotel. This kid was legally retarded by the way. The kid drives the van filled with explosives to the hotel's underground parking lot and the alphabet agencies are their waiting for him. But would he had done it if he was not encouraged to by the undercover CIA agent?

Than there's a story I read on reddit. This guy's dad joined this new militia in his hometown. As time goes by the militia members start planning to storm a government building. The guy's dad and another men ditch the militia. They want nothing to do with the group's plan. The ones that stay are ok with storming a goverment building and shooting up the place. Turns out they were all members of different government agencies. The two that left were the only ones that were not federal agents.

The government agencies need chaos to stay in business. If they can't get it through natural causes they create them.

Here's something to read on and you'll see that the alphabet agencies are not acting in good faith for the American citizens.

F*ck why didn't I think of that. LOL

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.