The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Make $15,000/month - 3 Hours of Work Per Day

JustMorpheus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 18, 2021
I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd share what I've been doing for the past decade. This is more of a side hustle because it's not really scalable past what I'm doing, but I've been able to become quite wealthy doing this. Now I've gotten into investment properties and I don't need to do this anymore so I thought I'd share what I did to make this kind of money. So what did I do to make $15,000/month working 3 hours per day? I flipped MacBooks. I sold 3-5 MacBooks per day making an average of $150 profit per MacBook. It was quite easy. First I had to find a source to acquire cheap MacBooks. Where did I find that source? Well I can't tell you, but if you're willing to do the leg work you can find sources for everything. What I liked about MacBooks was that they're basically all the same and easy to work on. Apple has a standardized hardware test that you can run on them to make sure they're not going to crap out on somebody the day after you sell them.

Once I secured my sources (I had many), I could buy as many MacBooks as I wanted. Selling as many as 150 MacBooks per month is pretty easy once you get a system set up. So why is this not scalable? Because I only sold on Craigslist. See, the best selling MacBooks are under $500, and for that price they're going to be old (7+ years). If you sell these things online, you're going to have way too many headaches. At only $150 profit each, you'll be in trouble if you get more than a small percentage of people that have problems. Remember, I didn't get into this to work 12 hour days. I don't want to mess with problems. If the thing dies a few weeks later, I don't want to hear about it. It's a used MacBook that's 10 years old. What did you expect? I made sure to sell every MacBook in public and I always made sure to tell people that I didn't warranty them. Despite this, I did hand out a couple of business cards to everyone I sold to. It simply said "XXXXXX - The Mac Guy" with my phone #. This helped bring in referrals and helped me get up to the 3-5 sales per day.

Yes, there were problems. Yes, there were pissed off people. But all in all it was a fun side hustle. I'm still doing it, but have ramped down quite a bit. I don't list on Craigslist anymore and am surviving off my referrals and new business from new cards I hand out to the people that buy stuff from me.

My favorite part of this was when people would bring me their old MacBooks. They'd either just go ahead and give them to me or ask if I'd take $50 off or whatever. I took these in and if they didn't pass the hardware test I'd list them on eBay for parts with the results of the hardware test. I usually didn't fix them (too time-consuming).

I'm glad I don't have to do this for a living nowadays because FaceBook Marketplace has taken a lot of people away from Craigslist. I can't stand FaceBook Marketplace. So many dumbasses on there and people that don't respond or jerk you around. With Craigslist it was easy because everyone CALLED you and you could tell within 5 seconds if it was a dipshit or not. Now with FaceBook you have to spend 20 minutes going back and forth with said dipshit while 20 other dipshits send you the same mind-numbing message: "is it still available?" to which you respond "Yes, when would you like to look at it?" and 90% of the time you get no response. Who the f*ck thought this was better than just calling someone and setting up a time to meet?

Anyway, rant over. If you can find a good source of a product that is in demand and buy/sell it repeatedly, you've got yourself a good system. Simply grow that system and keep attacking your niche and you'll be making bank in no time. I'm doing the same thing with my investment properties. I have one niche and one type of tenant that I target (I'm careful not to discriminate, but you start to see trends of what types of people go after what types of houses when you get into this business and you learn what to avoid and what to jump on). If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment below and I'll try to answer them.
Great post dude, you completely opened my and i'm sure others aswell, mind to new side hustle possibilities I never would've guess that you could flip a Mac book for so much profit!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

UnnamedBeast

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 16, 2022
Huge post! Not just a good idea but also kind of a way of showing the process as well, pretty damn helpful, thanks!

thereehldeal27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Interesting idea, but hard to believe you aren't pulling our chain. I used to dropship iphones on Ebay, working with a supplier in Lithuania who had the stock (met on BlackHatWorld Forum) I would get a share of the profit. Unfortunately, eventually, a customer or 2 never got their items and I ended up owing money to Ebay to which I got banned. This was years ago, in 2014, so maybe it would be worth trying the flipping on Ebay method again sometime. Although this time I would prefer to control the stock so I know there are no issues.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
637%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Great thread, literally how I and many entrepreneurs I personally know started off (some are still doing it at scale).

I was doing this for a while with baseball cards. And at another times with cutco cutlery out of all things (buy on CL sell on eBay).

What made you target MacBooks and how could you tell which products were hot to sell?
You can honestly do this flipping gig with any product. Obviously needs to be closer in price between $100-500 to make sure there could be enough profit built in to make this worth the effort, yet semi quick to sell.

I have known others to do this with bicycles, i-phones (all versions of phones), pc's, clothes, etc.

There will never be a shortage of marketplaces to buy and marketplaces to sell - just requires an open eye and mind to find the opportunities and act on them quick.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
You have to respond to buyer requests any time of the day, schedule meetups with people who are often late or no-shows and convince skeptical buyers that the machine aren't stolen or about to die. That doesn't sound like 3 hours a day to me, but whatever.

OTOH, I also don't see why this wasn't scalable with $20 / hr contractors and just one of those $100K suppliers.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

JByers210

Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Apr 14, 2017
United States
Yes. There's a guy on here who recently did a thread about flipping couches...

This kind of tactic can still make money
We refurbish couches... reupholster, clean, fix the frames... and it's always been consistent and profitable. Not a fastlane CENTS business but this and hustles like it are 10000x better than working for someone while working on new ventures.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd share what I've been doing for the past decade. This is more of a side hustle because it's not really scalable past what I'm doing, but I've been able to become quite wealthy doing this. Now I've gotten into investment properties and I don't need to do this anymore so I thought I'd share what I did to make this kind of money. So what did I do to make $15,000/month working 3 hours per day? I flipped MacBooks. I sold 3-5 MacBooks per day making an average of $150 profit per MacBook. It was quite easy. First I had to find a source to acquire cheap MacBooks. Where did I find that source? Well I can't tell you, but if you're willing to do the leg work you can find sources for everything. What I liked about MacBooks was that they're basically all the same and easy to work on. Apple has a standardized hardware test that you can run on them to make sure they're not going to crap out on somebody the day after you sell them.

Once I secured my sources (I had many), I could buy as many MacBooks as I wanted. Selling as many as 150 MacBooks per month is pretty easy once you get a system set up. So why is this not scalable? Because I only sold on Craigslist. See, the best selling MacBooks are under $500, and for that price they're going to be old (7+ years). If you sell these things online, you're going to have way too many headaches. At only $150 profit each, you'll be in trouble if you get more than a small percentage of people that have problems. Remember, I didn't get into this to work 12 hour days. I don't want to mess with problems. If the thing dies a few weeks later, I don't want to hear about it. It's a used MacBook that's 10 years old. What did you expect? I made sure to sell every MacBook in public and I always made sure to tell people that I didn't warranty them. Despite this, I did hand out a couple of business cards to everyone I sold to. It simply said "XXXXXX - The Mac Guy" with my phone #. This helped bring in referrals and helped me get up to the 3-5 sales per day.

Yes, there were problems. Yes, there were pissed off people. But all in all it was a fun side hustle. I'm still doing it, but have ramped down quite a bit. I don't list on Craigslist anymore and am surviving off my referrals and new business from new cards I hand out to the people that buy stuff from me.

My favorite part of this was when people would bring me their old MacBooks. They'd either just go ahead and give them to me or ask if I'd take $50 off or whatever. I took these in and if they didn't pass the hardware test I'd list them on eBay for parts with the results of the hardware test. I usually didn't fix them (too time-consuming).

I'm glad I don't have to do this for a living nowadays because FaceBook Marketplace has taken a lot of people away from Craigslist. I can't stand FaceBook Marketplace. So many dumbasses on there and people that don't respond or jerk you around. With Craigslist it was easy because everyone CALLED you and you could tell within 5 seconds if it was a dipshit or not. Now with FaceBook you have to spend 20 minutes going back and forth with said dipshit while 20 other dipshits send you the same mind-numbing message: "is it still available?" to which you respond "Yes, when would you like to look at it?" and 90% of the time you get no response. Who the F*ck thought this was better than just calling someone and setting up a time to meet?

Anyway, rant over. If you can find a good source of a product that is in demand and buy/sell it repeatedly, you've got yourself a good system. Simply grow that system and keep attacking your niche and you'll be making bank in no time. I'm doing the same thing with my investment properties. I have one niche and one type of tenant that I target (I'm careful not to discriminate, but you start to see trends of what types of people go after what types of houses when you get into this business and you learn what to avoid and what to jump on). If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment below and I'll try to answer them.
I also sold 5 laptops online on OLX in Pakistan before I gave up.

The laptops themselves were $100 old dell latitude laptops. People here don't want to spend money so they'll try to haggle you as much as they can. Some people don't even feel ashamed quoting half of the list price!

Anyway, the reason I dropped this because my source who was my relative allowed me to sell his laptops (he would do all the testing + make sure the laptop wont screw anyone) but I got enough margin in which 50% would go for my fuel. The margin was a measly $5-$10! No way I'm spending 6 hours everyday messaging every customer just to earn $5-10 profit.

OLX is a marketplace that is a hybrid of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. For every call, I would get 10 messages on my OLX profile literally quoting half the prices and asking me for the photos of the laptop again (despite me listing them. There are tons of scammers out there so its a good practice). People here do hand to hand dealings, no shipping laptops in my case. So I had to go on my bike to their place so they could check the laptop and buy it.

It's better for me to sit at home and freelance than try to sell laptops in a third world country. I still do it time and time again, its just that I have it on passive mode now.

How did the customer let you take $150 home in profit? @Celestia. I'm baffled on how much profit you made on selling those macbooks. Maybe I was doing something wrong or not putting in much effort?

PrestijeLLC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 15, 2023

I'm glad I don't have to do this for a living nowadays because FaceBook Marketplace has taken a lot of people away from Craigslist. I can't stand FaceBook Marketplace. So many dumbasses on there and people that don't respond or jerk you around. With Craigslist it was easy because everyone CALLED you and you could tell within 5 seconds if it was a dipshit or not. Now with FaceBook you have to spend 20 minutes going back and forth with said dipshit while 20 other dipshits send you the same mind-numbing message: "is it still available?" to which you respond "Yes, when would you like to look at it?" and 90% of the time you get no response. Who the F*ck thought this was better than just calling someone and setting up a time to meet?

I was flipping appliances on FB marketplace and I a had a virtual assistant from Pakistan talking to all customers and posting the listings. All I had to do was send him photos and I would just get an "order" message and make the delivery

hooponopono

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 30, 2023
that was a good business,

Personally I enjoyed Facebook marketplace a lot when I hustled last year, re-selling used Nintendo’s. Marketplace had such massive volume compared to other similar local classifieds style apps.

And because it was visual and had a lot of people listing items as well.. I made most of my purchases through it too

Yes the “is this still available” is annoying.. but generally speaking most people were reasonable.

Made $38k in profit over 4.5 months before quitting cold turkey, due to my main line of work becoming busy again. The hours “worked” were generally between 5pm to 11pm. Probably average 2-3 hours a day and 4-5 hours weekend of “work”. Work involves taking photos , making listings, shipping orders, and picking up deals. Tho throughout the day I’d send messages and occasionally refresh the feed to see if any deals popped up (you had to jump on a good deal very fast).

It was such an awesome experience.. but not scalable. If your ego allows it.. reselling used items can be very fun!

And last year was a special case where simultaneously you had a lot of demand for old Nintendo’s because so many people were at home, AND you had a lot of supply from people clearing out their old junk because they wanted something to do at home.

The rising demand meant that you could ask for ever increasing prices on some product lines, Pokémon games have risen the most.. and mario games kept value like you wouldn’t believ.

Every time I sold Mario games to parents buying for their kids, they didn’t question the price .

This often meant that I could sell a good 15-20% higher than EBAY prices, and I didn’t pay fees!!!

Also once you have a lot of reviews, people were bank transferring me without PayPal, and I would ship out to them.

At the start it was the n64 that made bank. However the incredible volumes of wii products, combined with the fact that it was easy to buy a bundle with console, controllers, and 10+ games for under $150 meant that the Wii quickly overtook it in terms of overall profit.

Switch related products sold the fastest, especially because of the shortages of switches throughout last year. There were so many times I’d pickup a switch and have it sold by the time I got back home..

You could also get bonus margin capture, for example if you lucked out on any of the following, it was over a few $00’s extra per week in cash:

• Original switches were hackable and could be resold as tablet only, at a premium. Then I would seperately sell the dock, Joycons, and other peripherals, making $550-$750 on a switch that cost me $300-$400, and switches only averaged 1-3 days in inventory
  • Old Nintendo bundles sometimes weren’t photographed very nicely by the people selling them . So you see a bundle with console, controllers 6 n64 games and you value it at $400 individually, whilst seller is asking $250. You pick it up, and find out they also had games not photographed! If you were lucky, it was a mario party or equivalent high value game… those would go for over $100 a pop!
  • Nearly everyone has owned a wii at some point in their lives. And for some reason it gelt like the average Wii bundle included 10+ Games… so the chances of getting high value games (such as Mario games) in a Wii bundle were massive! The best part was that you would recover the cost of your Wii bundle purchase in under 3 days on average. Example: you buy a bundle for $150, and you sold Mario kart, new super Mario bros, and 2 controllers within 2 days. That’s already $180 made, and you still have the rest of the bundle to sell!
  • You could change your location in marketplace for purchases, I would buy from people in other states. When I bought it was ALWAYS PayPal, only got scammed once.. and that was ironically on the generic style classifieds equivalent in my local market.
  • When I sold it was mostly bank transfer if I was shipping it out, if someone picked up it was mostly cash. I always racked on a 4% PayPal surcharge.
  • I focused on providing a good customer experience, making sure to reply fast and shop fast with tracking numbers. This meant building up 5 star reviews came super fast.
  • I made money selling “customised bundles”. For example someone could order a specific 4 games from me, sometimes those games came from 4 different purchases! So I was buying bundles at a discount (unwanted bundles) and then selling bundles at a premium (wanted bundles). It was prettt cool , because a person would choose to buy from me because they could get 3+ games they wanted. Shipping was always free for 3+ games and sometimes I’d slip in a freebie $10 game or so.

All in all, an amazing experience, and super fun. Making treasure from someone else’s trash. Unfortunately it’s not scalable.

It’s also not healthy to be constantly refreshing your marketplace/Craigslist feed every few minutes, waiting to jump on a deal..

Currently I’m producing products with bulk orders and selling them. Focusing on brand. It’s much more profitable and you can dump upwards of $100k in a single purchase rather than many small purchases of $100-$500.

However it does come with other headaches.. mostly the time required and the increased overheads.. is it really a great business if you’re involved in it every day and don’t have much of a life outside of it?

There’s something about the little excitement of things like an unexpected $100 because the seller is like “oh I forgot to include this in the listing, but I don’t need it, you can have it”.

You just can’t recreate that excitement with a generic business

Also, the other exciting thing was that it was just me and at my own leisure… no managing people or relying on others.

Maybe I should write up a thread sharing a bit more about the Nintendo reselling story, if people would like to learn or be inspired? I funded this fun side hustle with a total of $750, seriously! It was honestly a special time where I just felt so much thrill and excitement, because it was so much more fun than most other businesses.
Heyy please!!

Don't know if you did already. But please do...

I'm considering Flipping until I figure out what's my bigger game .

Not quite sure what would work better in AUSTRIA ?!

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN

That sounds great. I always thought flipping is a good side hustle. I am currently running my own tech startup to be happy. Maybe I'll try flipping some day.

GrateFul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 9, 2016

I'm a newbie, going through posts, Wow,. Thank you for your post. with a bit of creativity and an approach/mindset all is possible.

LexLex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 21, 2023
This post proved to be very helpful, I am currently in a similar business however I don't actually have a source, I basically just post "buying" iPhones, Macbooks ads around classified ad sites and buy inventory from the public to resell. But it's not as consistent as having a source.....but definitely some open loops to think about........

Thanks for posting!!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
In that hustle it’s allways the sourcing, what’s the problem.
You have to be the man, who takes a 20 k post immediately , too, than you get the lucrative offers.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Does that really work? Seeing how few people on eBay actually read the listing before buying it, I can't imagine people actually reading that whole thing and actually calling you.

I have a tool that I can use to clear any firmware locked Macs. If you're asking how I check if Find My Mac is enabled before I buy a computer, all you have to do is use a terminal command:

nvram -p | grep fmm

If it lists the person's information, Find My Mac is enabled and they can lock it at any time. To fix this, boot into a Mac OS installer via USB. Then run the following terminal command:

nvram -c

Wipe out the hard drive / SSD, then when it restarts do a hard PRAM reset by holding down Command + Option + P + R until it resets. Once Mac OS is installed, DO NOT connect to the internet. Instead, run the nvram -p | grep fmm command again and make sure it doesn't list the person's information.

If the person enables Find My Mac and you erase the drive, they can still lock it because the Find My Mac info is stored in the PRAM (separate from the hard drive). As soon as you wipe the computer and reinstall Mac OS, Find My Mac will be turned back on by the information stored in the PRAM and you'll be screwed.

I generally don't buy firmware locked Macs because they're usually stolen. I bought one the other day from a guy that claimed it belonged to his father who recently passed away. He seemed legit and could name a few files that were stored on the computer so I went ahead and bought it from him. It was a 2017 MacBook Pro touchbar. Paid $200 for it, sold it for $1,800 the next day. Took roughly 10 minutes to clear the firmware password and another 30 minutes to reinstall Mac OS. In total I invested a little more than an hour into it (including meeting the guy, getting it ready to go, listing it, and meeting with the buyer) and made $1,600. I can't complain.
I always assume I may be buying a device from a pro scammer. Do you usually do this during the purchase or shortly after the purchase?

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Nov 21, 2016
This hustle is a slap in the face to people who use the bs excuse of not having enough money to start a business...as though you need a $10 million angel investment before you can start prototyping. Awesome stuff!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.