The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I don't want it bad enough. What's your advice.

Luke23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 29, 2023
Hi, first post on this forum - almost done reading Millionaire Fastlane !

This post isn't about wanting to succeed financially (I have plenty of motivation to do that). This post is about wanting to have a better physique.

I workout for a few months, then take few months off, then repeat. Obviously not a recipe for success, and obviously I don't want a better physique bad enough! Im in good shape (6'3 210lbs) but who doesnt want bigger arms chest and shoulders. Im also 21yrs old if that matters.

I guess my question is what do you do when you don't want it bad enough - do you just focus on what you really do want? do you wait until you do want it bad enough?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

strategic seo

ChatGPT Bot
Mar 17, 2020
Troy, NY

This post isn't about wanting to succeed financially (I have plenty of motivation to do that). This post is about wanting to have a better physique.

I workout for a few months, then take few months off, then repeat. Obviously not a recipe for success, and obviously I don't want a better physique bad enough! Im in good shape (6'3 210lbs) but who doesnt want bigger arms chest and shoulders. Im also 21yrs old if that matters.

I guess my question is what do you do when you don't want it bad enough - do you just focus on what you really do want? do you wait until you do want it bad enough?

When I find myself lacking motivation towards a goal, I take a step back and reflect on why I set the goal in the first place. I remind myself of the reasons why I wanted to achieve it and how it aligns with my values and priorities.

Next, I create a clear and achievable plan, breaking down the goal into smaller, manageable steps. I also surround myself with supportive people who will encourage me and hold me accountable.

I stay motivated by celebrating my progress and rewarding myself for my efforts. I focus on making progress, not just striving for perfection, and keep perspective that success takes time and effort.

Making it a habit to work towards my goal every day has also helped me stay motivated and on track. Remember, it's all about taking small, consistent actions towards your goal, even on the days you don't feel like it.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
I don't think it's a matter of "wanting" it bad enough. You probably want to look good. It's a subconscious urge in everybody's mind to look better and feel better.

The problem then might be: you're not seeing progress fast enough to match your expectation.

The question then becomes, who are you comparing yourself with?

Personally, when my expectation doesn't match reality, it makes me feel bad about myself(nowadays, it's for a little bit and not as long as it used to be). After a while, I go "eh, what's the point in being down and wasting time idling. I'll just make another goal and work again". So I pick myself up, dust myself off, and work again.

I often reflect on whether my expectations are mine or that of someone else through writing. If I try to compare myself with someone else, I see myself as a dumbass because it's a recipe for misery and self-defeat. I don't like to think of myself as a dumbass and I like feeling like a winner, so I re-align my expectations and track my progress. It's me against myself yesterday.

I say track every little improvement you can at the gym. This means tracking your sets, reps, and progress pics. Even on weeks that you don't see any progress, just put in the work and you'll feel better. Those are the weeks that will build your self-esteem and the results you want.

Whenever I feel a bit distracted, I always look at my picture from day 1 and the physique I want to build. You see bad days are the days when your previous progress helps you the most. Seeing personal growth is always invigorating.

This applies outside of the gym too. It's always competing against yourself. No one is holding you down or oppressing you. Likewise, no one is going to hand you the perfect invitation or moment to do anything. No one can motivate you to do anything long-term. You need to be your biggest fan, but understand your mind is also your biggest enemy. So you have to reflect, set systems in case you are off track, and just work.
Nah, forget all about that bullshit. That day might come 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, or 10 years from now.

Will you wait and lose more days just to start? Do you know how many people waste away a lifetime only to realize that time is always slipping?

What people are really saying when they say you should wait till you want it bad enough is: stop trying because your choices don't matter and that you should be dependent on something you can't control.

Bullshit.

Waiting is a losing game. And the only ones that win are those that realize it and get their hands dirty and callused.

Luke23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 29, 2023
When I find myself lacking motivation towards a goal, I take a step back and reflect on why I set the goal in the first place. I remind myself of the reasons why I wanted to achieve it and how it aligns with my values and priorities.

Next, I create a clear and achievable plan, breaking down the goal into smaller, manageable steps. I also surround myself with supportive people who will encourage me and hold me accountable.

I stay motivated by celebrating my progress and rewarding myself for my efforts. I focus on making progress, not just striving for perfection, and keep perspective that success takes time and effort.

Making it a habit to work towards my goal every day has also helped me stay motivated and on track. Remember, it's all about taking small, consistent actions towards your goal, even on the days you don't feel like it.
Thanks for your advice!

Luke23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 29, 2023
I don't think it's a matter of "wanting" it bad enough. You probably want to look good. It's a subconscious urge in everybody's mind to look better and feel better.

The problem then might be: you're not seeing progress fast enough to match your expectation.

The question then becomes, who are you comparing yourself with?

Personally, when my expectation doesn't match reality, it makes me feel bad about myself(nowadays, it's for a little bit and not as long as it used to be). After a while, I go "eh, what's the point in being down and wasting time idling. I'll just make another goal and work again". So I pick myself up, dust myself off, and work again.

I often reflect on whether my expectations are mine or that of someone else through writing. If I try to compare myself with someone else, I see myself as a dumbass because it's a recipe for misery and self-defeat. I don't like to think of myself as a dumbass and I like feeling like a winner, so I re-align my expectations and track my progress. It's me against myself yesterday.

I say track every little improvement you can at the gym. This means tracking your sets, reps, and progress pics. Even on weeks that you don't see any progress, just put in the work and you'll feel better. Those are the weeks that will build your self-esteem and the results you want.

Whenever I feel a bit distracted, I always look at my picture from day 1 and the physique I want to build. You see bad days are the days when your previous progress helps you the most. Seeing personal growth is always invigorating.

This applies outside of the gym too. It's always competing against yourself. No one is holding you down or oppressing you. Likewise, no one is going to hand you the perfect invitation or moment to do anything. No one can motivate you to do anything long-term. You need to be your biggest fan, but understand your mind is also your biggest enemy. So you have to reflect, set systems in case you are off track, and just work.

Nah, forget all about that bullshit. That day might come 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, or 10 years from now.

Will you wait and lose more days just to start? Do you know how many people waste away a lifetime only to realize that time is always slipping?

What people are really saying when they say you should wait till you want it bad enough is: stop trying because your choices don't matter and that you should be dependent on something you can't control.

Bullshit.

Waiting is a losing game. And the only ones that win are those that realize it and get their hands dirty and callused.
Matt great response thanks alot man. just took my day 1 pics (for the 100th time it feels like, but this will be my last).

you think monthly progress pics would be ideal?

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

I'm going to be brutal.

Imagine your future wife, the woman that was supposed to have your children. Now imagine that the day you meet her you are in just alright shape and she doesn't get a good first impression of you. But there is another man in the room who is in great shape. Now she is in love with him and not you.

If you don't care about your body yourself then think about the benefits it will give you.
There is so much to gain, especially if you train for aesthetics and look like a statue of a Greek God.

Some say training to look good is shallow. I disagree since it aids the pursuit of love and respect, which are the most important things one can have.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Get a workout partner you have to meet at the gym or pickup and take to the gym.

I would workout like 3x a month. My best friend did too. Then he moved closer to me and we now go 3x a week at 7am and MMA 2x a week like clockwork.

Very easy to stick to it.

Anything you want to do, make it involve some accountability. 99% chance you show up for class, for work, for an appointment, etc. But the odds plummet when it's just a habit you want to do alone. Make any of your desired habits feel more like an appointment that you can't miss, best way to do that is involve others.

Another secret for business is to hire people. You can't quit something, you've got people showing up who's entire household income depends on your job, so you better figure it out!

Same thing with scaling my business. People have invested their money and expect to grow. They call me up and say "hope you're ready for scaling this year, I want to add 4 more crews for my location, hope your office can handle all the calls!" It forces you to rise to the occasion. If you want to grow and stay focused, involve others in a productive way that lights a fire under your a$$. I rarely rely on my own personal motivation, I make it much easier on myself.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
you think monthly progress pics would be ideal?
I say do whatever works for you that allows you to build momentum early on. In the beginning, you might take a photo every workout day. After a while, you might take it every other workout day. Then once a week. Once a month. It's like learning to ride a bicycle and taking off the wheels as riding becomes easier.

You're not necessarily tracking these numbers and progress for days you feel good. When you feel good, you don't need and motivation or inspiration, you just go. Tracking progress is to motivate yourself when you find yourself wondering "what am I doing all of this for".

The loop looks like this:

Track progress>feel lost->look at my previous progress to see your progression-> keep going->Track progress->... till you get to your goal

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
The more you think about the end result, the less motivated you will be.

Wanting to have a "better physique" or a "good physique" is a moving target. You will never get there, because no matter how much progress you make, there will always be room for more improvement.

The key to endless motivation is to fall in love with the process of doing the hard work. Forget about the results, focus on the game.

Results will happen.

Felix Nachem

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 5, 2022
Switzerland
What worked for me was to slowly build a habit (learned in the book Atomic Habits).

Use Progressive Overload: Just start by packing your gym clothes. Seriously kill your ego and make that everyday. And then increase the action everytime the new habit feels natural. (Example: Packing Gym Clothes > Going to the Gym > working out 5min > working out 15min > working out 30min > Going through a whole Workout)

G

Guest931Xfjyx

The problem is that you’re relying on motivation and not discipline. Simply go.

Show up to the gym. Wear gym attire. All you need to do is sit in the lobby. Sit there for 5 minutes. If you can do that, and not start working out, you’re free to go home.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.