The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I’d rather live in a VW camper van and be able to get away from the maddening crowds!

Lots of van conversion videos going viral here in Ireland at the moment. Mainly for tourism purposes during the summer but I know of a few students renting parking spaces in front of houses in the city to live in their vans Monday-Friday (4 nights). Then they spend the weekends back at their parents houses. Crazy stuff!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

Something is seriously wrong with the economy when you can live on a cruise ship as an alternative... but yea, if everything keeps skyrocketing, from food, to insurance, to taxes, why not.

Traveling and living better than most! I just don't know if I would ever want to choose a cruise ship though. Would rather move to SA.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
My guess is that any unconventional economic indicator is better than any data published by the government. And paints a more accurate picture.

We’ve all heard of stuff like hedge funds trying to use satellite images of mall parking lots to gauge consumer spending.

-Speeding tickets
-Evictions
-Suicide rates
-Larcenies
-Car sales
-Overdraft fees
-Small business closures
-Chapter 7 BK rates
-Alcohol sales

Etc etc…

Last edited:

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
I believe we are witnessing a massive hyperinflationary event underway as prices continue to skyrocket in all asset classes. Of course, this doesn't happen in 1 day or 1 week, but over the course of a year or two.

Meanwhile, the Fed continues to say inflation is under control. :rofl:

I've extracted some of the posts from the other INFLATION thread -- please use this thread to POST YOUR EXPERIENCE in your area/country/city of higher prices.

The mainstream narrative is that inflation is under control -- I contend that it is running in the double-digits and as always, the media and their sycophants are lying.

Of course, if you have a local experience of LOWER PRICES, feel free to post that too.

The only place I've found lower prices are in consumer electronics like televisions. Got make that propaganda easily accessible!
Gas is price, bread is pricey. Currently I'm trying to protect my money by investing it and making it proactive. Been watching the Kondratiev Wave for the last year and its helped in predicting a lot of the variables in our current economic environment. Inflation isn't under control its going to get worse from here. I went to get some more cucumber plants since I accidentally didn't water my cucumbers from seeds and about 2 years ago a 4" pot of cucumber plants was a $1.5 and now it $5 dollars for the same thing. Its insane, but this just means we need to proactively protect our money, invest in precious metals (commodities), and better manage our money.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
So I just got back to Canada after a 6 month stint in Mexico. Prices here are unreal.

I was browsing the Superstore (big grocery chain, excellent low prices compared to everywhere else). My jaw was on the floor. $10 for 4L of organic milk. $15 for 3L of canola oil (about 2 years ago I remember this being about $5). A pound of crap quality butter is now $7. Just crazy prices all over.

And gas is $1.71/L here! My parents are on an RV trip and they sent a photo of it being something like $2.10/L in Montreal. Word on the street is over the next few years the carbon tax is going to add something like an extra $0.50/L as well. Good times.

Oh, and the lovely Carbon tax they added to my home utility bill has GST (government service tax) added to it as well. Thanks guys.

My car, a 2010 Acura TL, is currently worth maybe 35% of what I paid for it in cash 8 years ago. And my insurance for it is worse than what I originally had, and significantly more expensive. I'm paying $1405/year for insurance. And yes I shopped around. The car is probably worth $10-12,000 on the private market if I had to make a guess. I've driven close to a million km over my life, and never had so much as a scratch on any personal vehicle. I did smoke a deer in a work truck many years ago, but that was all handled privately and the deer didn't call the insurance company on me.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My wife just got back from the store and texted this...
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.59.34 AM (3).png

And when we shop for daily necessities, we don't pay attention to the prices. But with inflation, I've started to pay attention, not because I'm looking to save, but I'm looking to get a better grasp on reality, not the "reality" put forth by the bureaucrats in DC.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
My wife just got back from the store and texted this...
View attachment 43647

And when we shop for daily necessities, we don't pay attention to the prices. But with inflation, I've started to pay attention, not because I'm looking to save, but I'm looking to get a better grasp on reality, not the "reality" put forth by the bureaucrats in DC.

Yeah, idk how we are to believe 8% inflation when 33% of money was printed In the last 2 years, that sounds like it would be closer to 50% right?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Poland inflation update...

It is now around 40c (euros) to drive my car 1km.
This means it is around $69 usd to drive 100 miles.

(Its an SUV with 23L/100km fuel economy)

Luckily I live close to nearly everything so I don't drive that often anyway.
But ya crazy prices - must be terrible to be running some heavy machinery or trucking in Europe atm.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
23L/100km is not average European though, more like 7.5L/100km :)

Ya it is pretty terrible for sure. I might sell although I don't really want to.

I really got used to larger trucks/SUVs when living in Alberta and don't like the idea of going back to some 1.6L Euro car ha.

AnNvr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Apr 5, 2021
Australia
Ya it is pretty terrible for sure. I might sell although I don't really want to.

I really got used to larger trucks/SUVs when living in Alberta and don't like the idea of going back to some 1.6L Euro car ha.
I see it in this way: back to the essentials ;) Sometimes less is more :)

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Any wild guesses on which countries will handle this inflation/food/social unrest crisis the best?

I am a total rookie on this topic. But a country like Brazil who is self-sufficient in oil and food production I guess should be able to weather the storm better than a lot of other countries?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Any wild guesses on which countries will handle this inflation/food/social unrest crisis the best?

I am a total rookie on this topic. But a country like Brazil who is self-sufficient in oil and food production I guess should be able to weather the storm better than a lot of other countries?

Relatively developed countries with a recent history of hardships, say the last 20-30 years so that most people remember the bad times and are resilient enough to handle them calmly.

I'd say Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and most of Latin America.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Relatively developed countries with a recent history of hardships, say the last 20-30 years so that most people remember the bad times and are resilient enough to handle them calmly.

I'd say Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and most of Latin America.
Sounds very plausible.

Only thing I worry about the Balkans is their own little conflict might begin with Kosovo/Serbia at some point in another proxy war between US and Russia.

But apart from that I totally agree. In Denmark we have never experienced any bad times during my 30+ years. We have been so spoiled. People would not know how to deal with this stuff. Think they still don't realize how bad it might get.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
But apart from that I totally agree. In Denmark we have never experienced any bad times during my 30+ years. We have been so spoiled. People would not know how to deal with this stuff. Think they still don't realize how bad it might get.

I grew up in the 90s and early 00s in Poland before it joined the European Union and the country was completely different than it is today. It was poor, ugly, unsafe, and depressing.

But the times were MUCH rougher in the 70s and 80s. People still remember the hardships, if not personally then through their parents. In many aspects, it was almost like North Korea. I doubt it can get as terrible as it was back then.

I find it fascinating that people from other countries never experienced or don't know personally anyone who lived through tough times.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
So something very interesting and I don’t know if it belongs in the inflation thread but thought I would put it here as it is a government/supply chain issue.
So I farm in Saskatchewan(Canada) and one of our tractors is a John Deere. We were having some issues with engines alerts that didn’t makes sense and the emissions system. The dealership has figured it is the ECU (Engine Control Unit) sort of the electronic brain of the engine. So our dealer didn’t have one in stock so they ordered one (i assume directly from John Deere, but I didn’t actually ask.)from the US. It was supposed to be here today and I got a call from the service manager that it is held up at the border. According to him they are now required to show some sort of proof to US customs that there is an actual tractor that requires this part not an attempt at the dealership to hoard parts. This is unbelievable and a sign that we seem to be devolving into a 1980’s Soviet Union style economy. Very concerning.

PS There is also the possibility that the dealership made a mistake and is telling me a tale to justify why the part is late. But I don’t think that is the case.
Man I saw this joke the other day I hope it’s not one everyone knows but I’m going to share it coz it made me laugh and this post reminded me of it.

There was a 10 year wait on cars in the Soviet Union. This guy goes in, orders one, the dealer takes his money and says “cool we will deliver it 10 years from now on March 26th, 2033.”

“Morning or afternoon?” the guy asks the dealer.

The dealers shocked, “it’s 10 years from now what kind of question is that?”

The guy replies “well the plumber is coming to fix the washing machine in the morning.”
My guess is that any unconventional economic indicator is better than any data published by the government. And paints a more accurate picture.

We’ve all heard of stuff like hedge funds trying to use satellite images of mall parking lots to gauge consumer spending.

-Speeding tickets
-Evictions
-Suicide rates
-Larcenies
-Car sales
-Overdraft fees
-Small business closures
-Chapter 7 BK rates
-Alcohol sales

Etc etc…
I saw a post from a stripper saying we are in recession. Sounds like a pretty reliable metric to me.
So I just got back to Canada after a 6 month stint in Mexico. Prices here are unreal.

I was browsing the Superstore (big grocery chain, excellent low prices compared to everywhere else). My jaw was on the floor. $10 for 4L of organic milk. $15 for 3L of canola oil (about 2 years ago I remember this being about $5). A pound of crap quality butter is now $7. Just crazy prices all over.

And gas is $1.71/L here! My parents are on an RV trip and they sent a photo of it being something like $2.10/L in Montreal. Word on the street is over the next few years the carbon tax is going to add something like an extra $0.50/L as well. Good times.

Oh, and the lovely Carbon tax they added to my home utility bill has GST (government service tax) added to it as well. Thanks guys.

My car, a 2010 Acura TL, is currently worth maybe 35% of what I paid for it in cash 8 years ago. And my insurance for it is worse than what I originally had, and significantly more expensive. I'm paying $1405/year for insurance. And yes I shopped around. The car is probably worth $10-12,000 on the private market if I had to make a guess. I've driven close to a million km over my life, and never had so much as a scratch on any personal vehicle. I did smoke a deer in a work truck many years ago, but that was all handled privately and the deer didn't call the insurance company on me.
Sounds like New Zealand.

Both run by klaus schwabs favourites. Petrol is up around $3 a litre there. Groceries are cheaper to have sent from Australia than to buy in stores. Interest rates literally doubled. Property market went to shit overnight.

This isn’t a recession or a mistake, it’s the great reset. The new world order.

Australia has been tame so far but our election has just finished and we elected our version of joe Biden/Justin Castro so that will probably change shortly.

Australia seems fairly self sufficient and developed.

I guess it’s up to you to prepare yourself no matter where you live. Stock up. Garden. Get to know your community. No guns here which is nice that other people don’t have them but I’d feel safer if I did.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
I grew up in the 90s and early 00s in Poland before it joined the European Union and the country was completely different than it is today. It was poor, ugly, unsafe, and depressing.

But the times were MUCH rougher in the 70s and 80s. People still remember the hardships, if not personally then through their parents. In many aspects, it was almost like North Korea. I doubt it can get as terrible as it was back then.

I find it fascinating that people from other countries never experienced or don't know personally anyone who lived through tough times.

I can imagine. My parents grew up in USSR so I heard a lot of stories about hardships. Actually lived 6 months in Poland as a kid back in 93 I believe. Don't remember much - just that my dad was working on some big market in Warzaw and that times were rough.

But yes - it definitely is fascinating. They probably heard some stories from their grandparents about less fortunate times, but this is nothing compared to Eastern Europe, Balkans and Latin America.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Australia has been tame so far but our election has just finished and we elected our version of joe Biden/Justin Castro so that will probably change shortly.

Australia seems fairly self sufficient and developed.

I guess it’s up to you to prepare yourself no matter where you live. Stock up. Garden. Get to know your community. No guns here which is nice that other people don’t have them but I’d feel safer if I did.

My deepest condolences to your country. Hopelly he will be less senile and psychotic than these two.

Agree. Better to be prepared. Don't hope it will come down to a point where guns will be needed here in Europe, but nothing will surprise me anymore.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I think in Europe especially people's reactions to this whole crisis are dependent on how their parents generation lived.

For example, in the 1980's Ireland was the "poor man" of Western Europe. My mothers house didn't even have central heating and the bathroom was an outhouse. Someone like me who was born in the late nineties has known nothing but good times really (2008 was tough but not on a societal level) but there is still that thankfulness instilled in much of the population. Both the parents who grew up in a poor society who live in a developed one now and the kids like myself who are grateful to have opportunities that our parents didn't.

Compare and contrast that to places like the UK, France and Italy. All of which have seen massive rises in populism on both the left and the right over the last 10 years. In these countries the grandparents built the place, the parents benefited from the good times and people over the last 20-25 years feel like things are slowly getting worse. Elderly people are seeing their purchasing power diminish and younger people don't have as easy opportunity as their parents.

It'll sure be interesting to see how it all plays out.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Gas prices have increased $0.20/L in two weeks.

I don't even want to drive out of principal at this point, it's just crazy. Alberta has like the 3rd largest oil reserves on the planet and we can't even produce it due to insane federal policies.

Mark my words, by the time oil is done as a viable resource we will have never produced it during its short lifespan, and we will all be poorer for it. Whatever tech and resource comes next, it won't be free. If we produce what is valuable now, we can move to what comes next.

If we continue to "woke" and "moral high ground" ourselves out of production, we are going to struggle to obtain what the next thing is. Oh, I guess we can just tax the rich and get them to pay for all our prosperity...

ArmanK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Apr 30, 2022
I believe we are witnessing a massive hyperinflationary event underway as prices continue to skyrocket in all asset classes. Of course, this doesn't happen in 1 day or 1 week, but over the course of a year or two.

Meanwhile, the Fed continues to say inflation is under control. :rofl:

I've extracted some of the posts from the other INFLATION thread -- please use this thread to POST YOUR EXPERIENCE in your area/country/city of higher prices.

The mainstream narrative is that inflation is under control -- I contend that it is running in the double-digits and as always, the media and their sycophants are lying.

Of course, if you have a local experience of LOWER PRICES, feel free to post that too.

The only place I've found lower prices are in consumer electronics like televisions. Got make that propaganda easily accessible!
Currently vacationing in the Florida Keys and I was shocked to see a dumpy looking house listed at $1.3M!

I have heard housing prices have skyrocketed all across FL but man was I surprised to see that.

MarkLavagne

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 27, 2019
Singapore

Something is seriously wrong with the economy when you can live on a cruise ship as an alternative... but yea, if everything keeps skyrocketing, from food, to insurance, to taxes, why not.
Cruise costs will skyrocket soon as well. They are facing shortages of everything already.

It's unpopular opinion as cruises are largely hated, but I love it and totally would live on cruise ship. Amazing infrastructure and ability to focus on what's important without distraction on cleaning room, getting food, repairing car, etc is very valuable. Most of my ideas/implementations were born during cruises due to abundance of time devoted to thinking and planning.

Of course you're free to spend time in bar, but that just gives beauty of a choice.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020

Agree with most of it, but I doubt if you can imagine what North Korea is like. Poland, even during the cold war was not North Korea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.