The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How was your 2020? What will your 2021 look like?

How was your 2020?

• I had a great 2020!

Votes: 89 26.2%
  • I had a good 2020!

Votes: 89 26.2%
  • 2020 was OK considering all that went down.

Votes: 111 32.6%
  • 2020 was not good and a general setback for me.

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • 2020 was a sh*t-show for me.

Votes: 24 7.1%

• Total voters

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So how was your 2020? Please vote!

Did you have a good year?

Did C0VlD-19 set you back? Cause you to reevaluate your priorities and/or business model?

Looking back, I had a pretty damn good year.

I expect 2021 to be full of change for myself, from building a house to moving to a new state. I also have a new full-length book that should be out in early 2021!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
I had a great 2020! Oddly enough, life didn’t feel much different. We don’t have kids, and we’ve worked from home for over a decade. Also, we rarely eat out, and I don’t like going to the movies. I realized that I’m very much an introvert, and I’m totally okay with that. I am looking forward to traveling internationally again, though.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
2020 was solid.

Stepped away from work starting Jan 1, handed off to the team, and they have crushed it.

Traveling full time: hit 6 continents, 25 countries and 19 U.S. states.
Currently living abroad for another 1-1.5 years. Good times.

I also learned about perspective.
Everything I read, every story that got sold to the public... just made me detach and see the world for what was going on.

I learned so much about people - the public. And, it's been a helluva education.
2020 will go down as a foundational year, in so many ways.

Here's to the future. Onwards!

themarkboogie

Mamba Mentality
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Oct 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
2020 was a hell of a ride for me with extremes on both ends of the spectrum. Fortunately, and unfortunately, lost my 9-5 in April which worked out for my quest to entrepreneurship. Spent April- September working through some mental health issues and taking a step back to figure out where I'm headed. Coincidentally, things really started to turn around after discovering TFM and TFF a couple of months ago. Daily, I feel the ups and downs of entrepreneurship but the dream is what makes it all worth it. To wake up every day motivated and excited is so underrated.

2020 I learned a lot about myself and I plan to make the corresponding improvements moving towards 2021. It's amazing the power of a new mindset. Fear is slowly creeping away and the confidence is following. Just gotta stay consistent.

Thanks for asking, MJ. It was nice to take a moment to reflect.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
grew the biz, moved to a new place, had a great time with the girlfriend this year, just got our ski passes too.

had a good year.

2021 will be all about doubling the business, automating some systems, spending time on hobbies I enjoy with my free time, and fitness.

Guys, make monthly resolutions instead of yearly resolutions.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
It had major ups and downs. When I lost something (family members dying, lost income), I gained something else. I lost 46lbs, I gained more confidence in commanding what I'm worth. For example, for every 3 clients that said no, I get one that says yes, and then all my expenses are paid for the year. I still have a ways to go, but I'm more comfortable with rejection. I always struggled with self-esteem issues and my confidence has gotten a lot better. I feel more focused too and it feels like I got a 6 pack in my abs and in my mind :rofl:

j0elsuf

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Dec 15, 2020
The year actually started off pretty good.

My income wasn't affected at all from COVID19, in fact I made a bit more when the shelter-in-place stuff was still in effect. Was able to work at one of my buddies' golf courses instead of doing Uber Eats when everything else was closed, but as soon as I was able to do Uber Eats again, it was off to the races.

My freelance writing stuff was pretty meh. No new clients, did only a handful of work for my current clients. One of them came back to assign some stuff to me on upwork so that was nice.

But things got south quick last week.

I got caught up in a job offer scam that set me back 3 grand. So now I gotta deal with that. Take that away and the year was just as good as last. A bit better actually.

Something I need to do in 2021 is find a way to swap Uber Eats for freelance writing as a primary income source. Hell I'm willing to take unemployment to do that so I can hunt for over 9000 gigs a day. I just submitted my claim today. Taking unemployment is a pretty degenerate move but its not like I'm gonna sit on my a$$ while getting it if I do get it.

I'm really sick of making just above poverty wages. Just because I can live on poverty wages doesn't mean I should.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Guys, make monthly resolutions instead of yearly resolutions.
^^^ This.

Monthly and/or quarterly goals work better for me than yearly.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don’t know what to make of the year.

Too much sadness with people dying and relatives not being allowed to see them until too late.

My mum is healthy but I only got to visit her three times all year instead of every three weeks.

It was hard, but also great to have the kids home for six months and to have my wife working from home every day. Having lunches and dinners together every day in that period was amazing.

Everything else seems irrelevant.

Business wise I’ve let loads of clients go that weren’t a good fit for one reason or another. I found a business model that suits me that I’ll lean into in 2021.

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
Was a decent year all things considered!

Had my first kid in July. She is always smiling. Knowing the unlimited potential of her makes me want to realize my own!

I learned some new things to be able to apply to a TBD new venture early 2021.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
My net worth is much higher than it was when 2020 started but I didn't hit the heights I had set myself at the beginning of the year. Our AirBnB business tanked but we pivoted into longer term tenancies. Making slightly less money but it freed up a mountain of time. Even when things go back to normal I don't think I'll return to short term lets. My eyes have been opened to how big I could grow the long term let side of the business as it's less hands on. I'm capped with the AirBnB stuff unless I run it daily and hire full time people to help instead of contractors.

Covid putting everything online also allowed me to return and do another year of college completely online while running my business. I never thought I'd go back to finish my degree but the unique opportunity this situation presented couldn't be let go to waste.

I also got absolutely shredded fitness wise from a combination of 75Hard, Phase 1 & 2. Home workouts really tested my resolve but it also made me appreciate the gym so much.

The biggest gains however have been mental. The worst case scenario happened, it was super stressful but I got out there everyday and got punched in the face 95% of the time but kept going. This year will stand to me for years to come. I feel like I got 10 years worth of normal experience in this industry with the amount of stuff I dealt with.

Big shoutout also to my summit mastermind group from the Phoenix trip. The seven of us have done biweekly calls since February. GAME CHANGER. Helped keep each other focused and on track. While also supporting each other during weeks where one or more of us felt down.

I also had some pretty cool vacations/meetups with fastlane friends in Ibiza, Spain and in Poland so that was really cool and inspiring too.

Great foundation building year!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not so fast. There's lawsuits about the proposition. The scuttlebutt I'm hearing has been mildly optimistic. I'm crossing my fingers...

I did hear that, but I'm pessimistic when it comes to any judge or politician to do the right thing. 2020 has been the year of "we will do whatever the F*ck we want, and you can't stop us."

Harsha Vardhan

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 7, 2020
INDIA
For me this year was okay.
Cause of covid I got a lot of time to learn and implemented some stuff and made a normal amount of money.
and mentally first half of this year had ups and downs but the other half was good.
Got close to my entrepreneur friend who had helped me in 2020. And since then become a really good friend to me.

Vikash Patel

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Dec 15, 2020
So how was your 2020? Please vote!

Did you have a good year?

Did C0VlD-19 set you back? Cause you to reevaluate your priorities and/or business model?

Looking back, I had a pretty damn good year.

I expect 2021 to be full of change for myself, from building a house to moving to a new state. I also have a new full-length book that should be out in early 2021!
Although I hadn't achieved any carrier related success, I am a lot different now.
After so much time at home Now I has a vision for my life(thanks to @MJ DeMarco for #UNSCRIPTED and Mr. Echart Tolle for #Powerof now) and it is not on autopilot anymore.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

WabiSabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 2, 2019
Katy, Texas
Some good, some bad. Lotta failures this year, but a couple key wins. Dealing with anxious and scared people wasn't fun at all.

I'd say 2020 was generally negative for me, but I'm pretty excited for 2021.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
It was awesome. Losing most of my income in March forced me to reassess what the hell I was doing with my life.

Also, I'm less scared of things. One big thing that held me back for the past 9 years of being here is that I would avoid relatively small risks, and in the instances where I would take those risks, I would try my best not to lose rather than try to win. I was afraid to invest money and time into things that might not work, as a result I wouldn't try very hard and settle for small wins and cut my losses when they were small.

2020 smashed all that. When you're living in a truly scary time and everyone feels afraid, it puts phantom fears into perspective.

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
Last year, I was freelancing with agencies. I had no clue how to get my own clients. This year, I moved away from freelancing to starting my agency. It was challenging at the beginning of the year when C0VlD-19 just wiped away some of my client's business... and things went bizarre.. and cash flow went down suddenly!

But, I learned fast, strategized and started doing well. I have made a lot of money this year...just like last year. The mistake I made this year was that I didn't implement a proper cash flow and payroll management system earlier until somewhere October... so you kind of make more money... and it leaks.

But I have learned some amazing cash flow management system that is helping me to save more and invest in other projects. I have even shown some of my clients and it is saving their business. I am grateful for that. I have also started two additional businesses... so I will be running three RELATED(not diversified) businesses in 2021.

Looking back... I have learned and studied this year more than the last three years combined. The knowledge acquisition this year has been crazy. The forum has also been so helpful. I will say it is OK... laying a solid foundation for a better 2021. Thanks.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don’t know what to make of the year.

Too much sadness with people dying and relatives not being allowed to see them until too late.

My mum is healthy but I only got to visit her three times all year instead of every three weeks.

It was hard, but also great to have the kids home for six months and to have my wife working from home every day. Having lunches and dinners together every day in that period was amazing.

Everything else seems irrelevant.

Business wise I’ve let loads of clients go that weren’t a good fit for one reason or another. I found a business model that suits me that I’ll lean into in 2021.

This describes my feelings towards 2020 too. I wasn't affected at all in terms of job or income security, and so far looks like we've managed to stay healthy (knock on wood). So has my family. My grandma got it, and she got better, she's 94 and in quite the bad state so I'm amazed. I've been working from home and not had a commute since March, my only complaint was not being able to go eat out, and that actually helped me help myself and save more money.

Also, member this?

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 9.15.27 PM.png

1. Check,
2. Check (bending the rules a bit, but my Udemy course revenue hit $100)
3. Check. I sold not one, but 4 paintings in two months.

I'm grateful. I'm blessed. I'm happy with what I've accomplished this year. I just wish it wasn't because so much other stuff went to shit.

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
I just want to add this to help if you are doing your annual year review.>>>

Doing annual year review... consider asking questions like:

How was 2020 for you? What is great, good, OK or just a f*ck shit...things went really bad for you?

What business progress did you make in 2020? How about relationship, marriage and family life?

What went really bad and terrible for you? And what went well? What did you dislike about this year?

What bad habits did you develop in the year and what good habits did you develop?

Have you become poorer in the year or richer? How much has your net worth grown by the end of the year? How much has your net worth reduced by the end of the year? What was the cause?

Did you go into financial crisis this year? Got more debts and money problems? What were they? How much debt did you accumulate? How do you plan to pay back in 2021?

Saved more money this year? How much money did you make, spent, saved and invested? How is your investment portfolio doing? Was your business wiped out by C0VlD-19?

What strategic steps did you take or are taking to bounce back? How do you envisage and plan to get back stronger in 2021?

What about social and health goals? Getting better physically or getting ill? How strong and energetic have you been in the year, and how do you plan to stay stronger in 2021?

Have you drawn closer to God this year or far away from Him? What about your commitment to fellowship and the things of God? How far are things going, and how do you plan to move forward in 2021?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
^^^ This.

Monthly and/or quarterly goals work better for me than yearly
I double down what Andy and Johnny posted on the goals. In 2020 I went to monthly and quarterly goals and was incredibly transforming.

2020 for business was beyond amazing, in particular the last few months as was able to retool through covid properly and 2021 is set up to be spectacular. Personal life was horrifying as cut off from family, good friends and my 12 step support group for my main addiction (Zoom meetings just dont do the same for me) and it has taken a huge toll on my mental health, but business relationships have helped ease that burden.

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King
moving to a new state

EAP, DFY...

;-)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I ended up voting that I personally had a great 2020.

While there were things that angered me beyond belief happened this year... A lady that was texting and driving totaled my dream car and I still haven't replaced it with something that excites me enough. Both political parties have collectively busted out in a total sprint towards socialism, there has been a ceizure of freedoms being cheered by the majority, and I have never been more bearish on the future business environment of the developed world...

I started another company that is already profitable.

I started a radio show that I absolutely love.

I bought an RV.

And!!! I have a son on the way!

2020 for me has been pretty great honestly.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Had my first kid in July. She is always smiling. Knowing the unlimited potential of her makes me want to realize my own!
Congrats!!

Matua

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Oct 4, 2020
Virginia
Even though the first half of this year was miserable, the other half was immensely fulfilling for me.

I read The Millionaire Fastlane right when COVID began.
I studied for a full-time career I never really wanted, but took it because I felt I had no choice otherwise.
I immediately quit that full-time job 4 days later.
I took one month for myself to decide what I really want to do with my life.
I ultimately decided to make my own path and chart into the unknown, despite what my family and peers say.
I worked on my book project for around 7-8 months before I dropped it this month, because it wasn't going to work out.

In the aftermath of that book project, I'm taking the resources from it and actually put it out for people to experience (as well as finding them). This is to see if what I did in those 7-8 months actually provides any value at all. So this means I must be in direct contact with others for my next project, which will be Content Creation. I'm currently working on it and plan to put out content when 2021 rolls around.

I'm honestly scared and terrified of putting myself out there, but I just have to trust my gut that this is the path forward.

2021 here we go!

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
2020 was good for me monetarily and with everything business oriented...however...it was very mentally draining considering all the dishonesty and baseless rules that have been set in place.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.