The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to study better?

cparetard

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 13, 2022
Currently studying accounting and I'm wondering if anyone has used any habits/tactics to study more effieciently (this can then be applied to learning things on this forum as well).

Feels like I go through some periods of solid studying then this becomes more automatic, life stress gets in the way, burnouts and grades become lower.

- Alex

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gareth Stretton

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
May 31, 2022
Currently studying accounting and I'm wondering if anyone has used any habits/tactics to study more effieciently (this can then be applied to learning things on this forum as well).

Feels like I go through some periods of solid studying then this becomes more automatic, life stress gets in the way, burnouts and grades become lower.

- Alex

A few tips, topics, & things...
  • Absolutely Read: "How to Become a Straight-A Student" by Cal Newport (has time saving techniques)
  • Noise cancelling headphones.
  • Concentration music (Music to Focus Better - Brain.fm)
  • Distraction free environment (no cell phone)
  • Take breaks
  • Sleep, Eat, Go outside
  • Micro-rewards: chocolate
  • Active Recall
  • Spaced Repetition
  • Anki Flashcards
  • Cornell Note Taking Method (... definitely)
  • Zettelkasten (... maybe)
  • Note taking application (... game changer): Obsidian
  • YouTuber: Ali Abdaal. Great study tips
  • Put your study plan on "paper" (so it's not in your head and causing stress)
  • Keep reviewing and improving your study techniques
  • Practice enough so the concept is completely understood
  • First understand, then take notes
  • Relate material to what you already know
  • Take notes in non-academic language, keep it simple.
  • Use real world examples
  • Make a dynamic exam simulator in Excel (... daily practice = results)
  • Explain the concepts to others (or imagine you are)
  • Outline the topic at a high level, then drill down
  • Make mind maps
  • Get multiple explanations from different sources: investopedia, youtube, etc.
  • Skim read for context, noting places to read more thoroughly on the next pass
  • Use Text-to-Speech software
  • Stay motivated: Remind yourself of your ultimate goal and that each step you take brings you closer to your goal.

Pick and choose from the above, adjust over time. When you know what works for you and the kind of material, you'll spend less time studying. Treat it as a game: hack your brain.

Good luck

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018

- Alex

"Students find it confusing: they’re just starting to get a handle on new material and don’t feel on top of it yet when they are forced to switch. But the research shows unequivocally that mastery and long-term retention are much better if you interleave practice than if you mass it." (Peter C. Brown, Make It Stick)

Read Make it Stick book. Good luck.

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India

- Alex
Do you attend some sorts of lectures from professor or mentor?
I dont know much about accounting but the way i study is like this, take what you can from it friend.
First and foremost- clear almost 90% of concept from your lecturer or mentor. Concepts that are useful to get you good grades(if you are interested in getting job in same field) and are useful for actual application(for your actual education).
- Ask Questions about topics that you learn,this way you will get an "Thought Process" which is necessary to do anything correctly (what to do and what not).
-REVISION -as you get these things cleared out you need a solid plan for revision, this is what my physics teacher told
"You need to revise a new topic within first 2 days of studying it, then within next 5 days again, then within 1 week again, then within 2 week and so on the time span increase as you get used to it."
For the same purpose of revision i made my own Technique if you find it useful then surely use it( You can build urs too).
Write down the important topics from each of your chapter (or whatever it is, unit etc.) Within those topics write subtopics that are important, such way you will have an idea of what should be done in order to get your marks. Dont try to accumulate all the data that you given,it will only create stress as there are many things in one textbook. If you don't know important topics take a look at your University's previous year question paper then you will get whats important.
After writing down the topics and subtopics in list form tally a mark after it as you revise it. If you get 5 tally at the end of semester this means you are prepared for exam.(The more the better)
- Managing Anxiety - i myself suffer from anxiety due to exams but you can find ways to reduce it.
- Maintain good Health - "Sound mind lives in a sound body". Have a good diet, avoid unnecessary medication, exercise just enough so you dont feel exhausted and sleepy during studies. I will not go deep into this but make sure your physical and mental health is good because it its necessary for studying.
Have a good semester.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee

- Alex
One technique I found helpful especially when taking math classes was to condense the entire unit or section/topic onto one piece of standard printer paper. This could include formulas, processes, or graphs.

The night before I would make this review paper, study and thoroughly understand the most used to obscure topics typically within a 30 minute time frame. Take a few minute break, walk around, get a snack, throw frisbee, draw, or do whatever you like (just stay off phone or computer unless absolutely necessary) and then get back to it!

So the process for me goes:
1. Look through all unit materials, reviewing the most relevant and most obscure aspects and topics/concepts
2. Take 30 min to work through step 1, take a break and get active, then get back to step 1 till the materials are looked through. If you need to lookup something to get a better understanding
3. Get a piece of standard printer paper
4. Begin writing out aspects that are most important or hardest to grasp, make sure to group things especially if they build off of each other and are derivates to each other
5. Once all aspects, topics, and processes are written out on both sides revise it ensuring there is no error nor part missing
6. Get good rest
7. Eat a good breakfast, nothing heavy but ensure that it will give you energy and fuel for the exam, bringing a snack like an energy bar and some water can really be helpful through the test if its broken into parts or if you pace yourself accordingly, otherwise eat and hydrate properly before
8. Throughout the day make sure to look over and revise the materials about every hour before the test and the hour before the test try and revise it every 15-30 minutes
9. Right before the test glance over the paper one final time
10. When the test is given to you, it'd be best to look at what is on it and then instantly write down the equations that match with those questions, or just write down all the equations so you don't have to remember them throughout the test giving you more processing power to solve each problem (this is being used in the example of math)
11. Succeed!

I can't say that this is beneficial anywhere in accounting but it was extremely useful throughout my math classes, which helped me score proficiently - I even used it on the finals too

Best of luck! Find a method that works for you, use what I do or create your own method. This works best for me.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Have a look at a book called Ultralearning.

Spezza

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 29, 2021
What I found useful when studying at uni was to minimise time spent watching lectures by putting them on 2 times speed and spend more time working on exercises and solving problems. Basically spend more time on activities that lead to long term learning.

Have a look into the learning pyramid, it gives a better idea of where to focus your efforts.

pyramid.png

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
What I found useful when studying at uni was to minimise time spent watching lectures by putting them on 2 times speed and spend more time working on exercises and solving problems. Basically spend more time on activities that lead to long term learning.

Have a look into the learning pyramid, it gives a better idea of where to focus your efforts.

pyramid.png
We used to do the same, watching lectures at 1.5x or even 2x speed. But be advised some teachers already talk fast and making it faster can cause problems.

hobbsie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2021
A few tips, topics, & things...
  • Absolutely Read: "How to Become a Straight-A Student" by Cal Newport (has time saving techniques)
  • Noise cancelling headphones.
  • Concentration music (Music to Focus Better - Brain.fm)
  • Distraction free environment (no cell phone)
  • Take breaks
  • Sleep, Eat, Go outside
  • Micro-rewards: chocolate
  • Active Recall
  • Spaced Repetition
  • Anki Flashcards
  • Cornell Note Taking Method (... definitely)
  • Zettelkasten (... maybe)
  • Note taking application (... game changer): Obsidian
  • YouTuber: Ali Abdaal. Great study tips
  • Put your study plan on "paper" (so it's not in your head and causing stress)
  • Keep reviewing and improving your study techniques
  • Practice enough so the concept is completely understood
  • First understand, then take notes
  • Relate material to what you already know
  • Take notes in non-academic language, keep it simple.
  • Use real world examples
  • Make a dynamic exam simulator in Excel (... daily practice = results)
  • Explain the concepts to others (or imagine you are)
  • Outline the topic at a high level, then drill down
  • Make mind maps
  • Get multiple explanations from different sources: investopedia, youtube, etc.
  • Skim read for context, noting places to read more thoroughly on the next pass
  • Use Text-to-Speech software
  • Stay motivated: Remind yourself of your ultimate goal and that each step you take brings you closer to your goal.

Pick and choose from the above, adjust over time. When you know what works for you and the kind of material, you'll spend less time studying. Treat it as a game: hack your brain.

Good luck
Very comprehensive advice there Mr Stretton.

I find people often overlook the 'regular breaks' tip. When you're studying/working and you get into a groove it becomes easy to go long periods without taking a break. Especially when you are feeling particularly productive.

My advice is to manage your study sessions to include regular 5 minute breaks. This way you will keep yourself fresh and avoid burnout.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

- Alex
Work backwards. What will you be tested on? Get past papers and solutions.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
There isn't one answer to this question, obviously, since everyone has different learning styles and preferences. However, here are a few general tips that worked for me back in the day:

1. Find a quiet environment where you can study without distractions.
2. Make a study schedule and stick to it as much as possible.
3. Take breaks every once in awhile to avoid getting overwhelmed or burnt out.
4. Try to get plenty of sleep and exercise; both are crucial for optimal brain function.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.