The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to raise 5M on Kickstarter and Become an instant Millionaire

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
1) Choose a common product that is used by millions of people but has not been innovated for decades
2) Make it cool again
3) Find a manufacturer and get a prototype made
4) Start a Kickstarter campaign

Link to Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually

Thought I would post this because I think there are great lessons here for someone who is actively looking for what product to sell.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Also the continual FLF favorite of "gross revenue" and "profit" are basically the same if the number is high enough

Actually I don't see a lot of this here, but I see self-proclaimed gurus do this. And it makes for great click bait. "This entrepreneur did $500K last month, see how he did it!" (No mention of profit -- anyone can "do $500K" when you're selling dollars for pennies.)

ecommerce-cogs.jpg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would love to know the secret sauce to the success.

Uh... a product that people want? A product that demonstrates well? A product that is shareable, tweetable, and postable? A product that solves problems and makes things more convenient? Don't the "the secret" is the free t-shirt.

PHowey

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 7, 2014
Chicago
Copy, Copy, & Innovate... The best business successes I have personally had have always been from taking a well known service, copying what I liked, omitting what I hated, and adding my own innovation.

I forget what the percentage is but most first to market products/services fail. This is a great example of copying an existing product, leveraging an already educated customer base, and adding innovation that people want.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Thread moved to the outside.

This makes for a killer case study.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1) Choose a common product that is used by millions of people but has not been innovated for decades

One of the Fastlane book recommendations is "Inside the Box" (by Goldberg)-- this product innovation is an exact study in what that book explains.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
I think hes referencing the fact that 6 months ago the guys same campaign only made 100k on kick starter and now he's at 5 million in a week or so.

5000% better

6 months ago was the dead of winter, at least in the States and Canada it was. Now, we are in the middle of summer, when more people are thinking about coolers, seeing coolers, using coolers. This is a seasonal product (and a product that probably won't get used in Winter) and the demand is currently higher, which not only increases the odds of someone buying, but also that people will share it.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Seems like Kickstarter failures, or failures in process, are becoming more normal as entrepreneurs fail to execute.

Instagram generation. It's the Kardashian/Bilzerian effect. These projects are like a role playing game character, with a finite number of points to distribute among "stats."

Everything is dumped in marketing and the pitch video/funnel.

Nothing is put on the product.

This is the recipe for a product that explodes off shelves when launched and then bombs just after. Great mainstream example: The new Batman/Superman movie. Huge hype, terrible reviews, massive week-2 box office crash.

You can only pull this stunt once per product unless your business, like Bilzerian and Kardashian, is basically being a celebrity mega-affiliate for already existing products.

The title of the thread an example of people who think that raising money is the same as making money.

Also the continual FLF favorite of: "Gross revenue" and "profit" are basically the same if the number is high enough."

"Hey guys, I grossed 20 bazillion last year!"

Great, how much did you keep?

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Actually I don't see a lot of this here, but I see self-proclaimed gurus do this. And it makes for great click bait. "This entrepreneur did $500K last month, see how he did it!" (No mention of profit -- anyone can "do $500K" when you're selling dollars for pennies.)

View attachment 12101
I was on a webinar recently where the guy was complaining about people like us. Those that don't buy into the "I made $50k last month" without context. He literally said, "what does it matter? Even if it took me $49,999 in Facebook ads to make that $50k I'm still profitable." No mention of cost of goods as this was indeed a physical product based "training". I immediately shut down the webinar.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I reached out to Ryan cold and asked him how the hell did he do such a bang up job with this Kickstarter as I'm sure KS loves him to death as it shows the proof in the pudding, that crowdfunding isn't going anyway and will only get bigger as the future comes.

Here's what he said (I asked him, again, how did they get so much traction):

Hey Joe,

Thanks for reaching out. I’ll be sharing more details of my Kickstarter
experience after the campaign closes, but here are a few of the biggest
factors.
1. People are much more interested in coolers in the summer rather than the
winter.
2. We had a group of passionate supporters from our first campaign, ready
to take up the charge and share among their friends.
3. We improved the COOLEST design, took a more targeted marketing approach
and focused our video on all the great features offered.
It's been such an exciting time, and really we have all our amazing backers
to thank for that!

Notes:

1) Timing is everything with these campaigns (good advice for me as I may run a Kickstarter but it would now have to be for next year summer)
2) Have a base. Don't expect Kickstarter to do any marketing, SEO for you. Get initial funders before the gig hits to get it off the ground ASAP
3) Test your design, make changed. Target the right market and make sure you have the right tools to show how awesome your product is.

He's done awesome, 8MM as of today and 25 days left!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think hes referencing the fact that 6 months ago the guys same campaign only made 100k on kick starter and now he's at 5 million in a week or so.

I understand that, but even the "failure" garnered $100K which in my book shows demand. I thought both campaigns looked well done, the 2nd definitely showed better, but 5000% better?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Ah another thing I just noticed about the previous campaign was that $75,000 of the $100,000 was raised from his most expensive pledge levels. This was 15 people who spent 3k-7k each for various bonuses including meeting Brendon Burchard author of the Millionaire Messenger.

In essence this means he sold 80 coolers last time as opposed to 25k+ this time.

Its interesting that he removed all of these high price point pledge offers from this new campaign when that is how he made the vast majority of the money the last time.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
"the power of compound interest the most powerful force in the universe." -Albert Einstein

I think this hit some kind of tipping point around 1-2M where people started sharing for the dollar value alone, not because of the product and the exposure grew exponentially.

y=2^x is a beautiful thing.

facebook-law-of-sharing.png

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Rut Roh!

$13 million Kickstarter project for a cooler continues to be a disaster

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/13/11424924/coolest-cooler-kickstarter-disaster-delays

Seems like Kickstarter failures, or failures in process, are becoming more normal as entrepreneurs fail to execute.
Kickstarter projects like this ruin the chances for many other campaigns that actually care about their consumers. Its horrible.

One major bad apple ruins the chances for thousands.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Looks like all that Facebook spend to get $13M in sales wasn't factored into the total costs he would incur to, you know, make the damned thing.

SJVC

Go Make It Happen.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jun 27, 2014
UK
Wow that is really cool!

I think this just reinforces the fact that you don't have to reinvent the wheel, just alter it a bit, make it a bit (or a lot) better.

And they have raised $5m+... That is insane, they had a 50k target!

Going to be a case of keeping up with demand for them now, thanks for sharing.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The title of the thread an example of people who think that raising money is the same as making money.

Yea, and it seems the entrepreneur felt that way as well. If you read the complaints, he supposedly made a video and commented as much.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Sometimes it's supposedly smart people/businesses who do this. I called my credit card company (Amex) last year to get a credit increase on a business card and was asked what the gross sales of the business were so they could approve the increase. I asked, "Do you mean net income? Or do you really just want gross sales?" They said, "Gross sales."

I happily told them that our gross sales were about $6M. They didn't seem to care that our business was buying and selling houses, and our net profit margins were only about 7-8%. In fact, that $6M in sales could have easily represented breaking even for our business...or even losing money. You'd think the underwriters at Amex would understand (and care about) this...but apparently not...

Though perhaps it's me that's missing something...

I'm not an underwriter but I think the reason for this is not to gauge your ability to pay the bills, but your spending power. If you are pulling in $6M in gross revenue, that's essentially $6M in spending power. If you put 50% of that through AMEX, thats conservatively $75,000 in revenue for their processing fees (2.5% of $3M).

Again, not an underwriter, but I don't think they are using your revenue to gauge whether or not you can pay them back, but whether or not you can actually even spend that much money with them. If you can't, it's not even worth the risk of extending you the line of credit.

In other words, it's probably a factor they use in conjunction with your existing credit history to approve the credit limit; but not something that is a gauge of your ability to pay the bills responsibly.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Uh... a product that people want? A product that demonstrates well? A product that is shareable, tweetable, and postable? A product that solves problems and makes things more convenient? Don't the "the secret" is the free t-shirt.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
according to the story I saw yesterday about this product on the local news... they said it was because he hired a really expensive PR firm (over $7k/mo).. dont know if thats true or not but thats what they said on TV

Thats the Press Release I would generate if I was that PR firm!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.