The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to pitch bloggers/influencers?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So I can't find a guide on this anywhere, I have found guides to pitch bloggers about guest posting for example but not to get coverage of my app. My goal is to get them to promote my app, obviously I need to provide them some sort of value and I've got the part down of providing the pictures/benefits of the app in the email. But how to start the email to get them interested I have no idea. And also needed some examples of a headline that will catch the eyes of the blogger/influencer.

I also read that each email pitch should be different, but I don't see why I don't just send the same email considering my request is all the same? I'm constantly lost on what to do and need some guidance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
Try to think about what would catch your attention and be really interesting if you were them... this may depend on the niche that you are in and the type of content that each specific blogger focuses on.

You mention you have down the benefits of YOUR app (which I'm assuming are benefits to the users of the app), but you need to think about the benefits to THE BLOGGER/INFLUENCER. Are you thinking about paying them? The value for them may just be monetary if you are going to pay for them posting about your app... does your app help them get more exposure/reach to get more followers?

You have to think about the things they care about and how you can find a valuable exchange so that they will promote your app.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
You have several different options for this. Everything mentions above is great, you need to provide them with something of value.

I would add/ask: who are you targeting? Make sure you have your demographic, search by hashtags and just start reaching out. Reaching out to bloggers and influencers is 10x easier than trying to cold call businesses because the bloggers WANT to be contacted.

If they are a large account with over 500k followers than they will likely have a media manager and respond with a media kit detailing pricing. Under 100k and they will respond themselves and may post for as little as $50.

100k-500k is tricky but can be a goldmine. Some of them get to big for their britches and are waiting for Gucci to reach out while others don’t realize they can command $200-$500 a post and might still do it for under $100.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Try to think about what would catch your attention and be really interesting if you were them... this may depend on the niche that you are in and the type of content that each specific blogger focuses on.

You mention you have down the benefits of YOUR app (which I'm assuming are benefits to the users of the app), but you need to think about the benefits to THE BLOGGER/INFLUENCER. Are you thinking about paying them? The value for them may just be monetary if you are going to pay for them posting about your app... does your app help them get more exposure/reach to get more followers?

You have to think about the things they care about and how you can find a valuable exchange so that they will promote your app.
Yes you are correct they are benefits for the user of the app not the bloggers. I guess what I was looking for was a template to work with. I got one but I'm almost in a analysis paralysis phase where I want to get it perfect. I was thinking of offering money a small amount or provide them value in another way. Thanks for the advice also.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You have several different options for this. Everything mentions above is great, you need to provide them with something of value.

I would add/ask: who are you targeting? Make sure you have your demographic, search by hashtags and just start reaching out. Reaching out to bloggers and influencers is 10x easier than trying to cold call businesses because the bloggers WANT to be contacted.

If they are a large account with over 500k followers than they will likely have a media manager and respond with a media kit detailing pricing. Under 100k and they will respond themselves and may post for as little as $50.

100k-500k is tricky but can be a goldmine. Some of them get to big for their britches and are waiting for Gucci to reach out while others don’t realize they can command $200-$500 a post and might still do it for under $100.
Thanks for the advice.

sdbrownlie

Building Links for SEO Peeps
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 26, 2017
Royal Leamington Spa
Yes you are correct they are benefits for the user of the app not the bloggers. I guess what I was looking for was a template to work with. I got one but I'm almost in a analysis paralysis phase where I want to get it perfect. I was thinking of offering money a small amount or provide them value in another way. Thanks for the advice also.

Without knowing your specific product it's hard to give specific advice but the two approaches I always take are either straight up: we want to work with you, let me know the deal. Then negotiate from there - always negotiate though. Especially if you are fairly small and your product is innocuous/the type of thing they might talk about anyway. It's less effort for them in those cases so more likely you can get a better deal.

Alternatively if your product can be involved in some kind of story or movement/helping people/changing the world (I'm being a little flippant with the way I've worded it here but I really don't have any other way of triggering your thoughts along the right lines without knowing what you're selling) you can really craft the reason you're doing the campaign to align with that mission. Then you pitch influencers who care about that kind of vision/mission and ask them to help get the message out.

We've come up with some pretty fun campaigns for some pretty boring SAAS products along the 'what it does for the world' lines so don't give up if you don't have a cool idea/win right off the bat - have some fun with it if it's even vaguely possible you might come up with something and you can pick up free coverage and get a lot more out of your time/budget than if you just jump on a marketplace/write out to a bunch of influencers offering some cash, execute and reload the budget next month.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I also read that each email pitch should be different, but I don't see why I don't just send the same email considering my request is all the same? I'm constantly lost on what to do and need some guidance.

@Greg R @Ravens_Shadow and @amp0193 do a really good job of this.

Keep it short. One or two sentences.

Try contacting each one over several channels; IG, FB, email, YouTube, Twitter. I find it best to contact them on the channel they are less known for but are trying to grow. I also noticed that they almost always respond to email.

Secondly, FOLLOW UP. Follow up two or three times. Some of these people are just to busy and won't respond to you until a month later. Follow up. Keep a list and track your interactions. Set reminders to follow up.

Sometimes it helps to interact with them before you pitch them. Like, share, comment, follow. Ask a question and get them to respond. Give them a well thought out compliment.

Lastly, keep all pitching interactions short and to the point. We're all busy.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Secondly, FOLLOW UP. Follow up two or three times. Some of these people are just to busy and won't respond to you until a month later. Follow up. Keep a list and track your interactions. Set reminders to follow up.

I got my products on TV after following up with a guy 6 times with no responses. The more popular... the more you need to follow up. Don't assume that they saw anything you sent them.

Sometimes it helps to interact with them before you pitch them.

This is a good strategy for media outlets.

My business took off because of a connection with a blogger. A year prior to my business I just shared a nice email with him that I thought he would like, and he responded. When it was time to tell him about my biz, I wasn't spamming, I was a friend sharing something cool I was up to. He then shared my biz on his twitter and that tweet gave me $20k worth of business.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
@LiveEntrepreneur If you're looking for backlinks, exposure, and relationships with an audience that benefits from your app, guest posting (done right) is a great way to drive app growth.

Instead of expecting blog owners to randomly talk about your app, here's simple strategy that requires effort but works:

Start with how your app benefits users. E.g my fitness pal, they ultimately aid users with weight loss/gain through managing food. So guest posting relevant information on health, nutrition and weight loss blogs is a solid idea to boost exposure.

Then provide an incentive for people to check your app out and get them on an email list. You can opt for a "drip email course", ebook, tutorial etc.

Nurture your list and offer specials to convert those subscribers into paying app users...

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Just wondering if it was ok with u guys if you post the email you sent? Just so i use it as an example.

That kind of defeats the purpose. Good relationships happen from authentic connections. Sending out boiler plate template emails won’t get any responses.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Just wondering if it was ok with u guys if you post the email you sent? Just so i use it as an example.

I got a better deal, how about you post the email you are going to send, and these guys can give you advice on it?

That way everyone knows their time is being spent well and we see you are putting effort behind implementing what's been laid out here.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I got a better deal, how about you post the email you are going to send, and these guys can give you advice on it?

That way everyone knows their time is being spent well and we see you are putting effort behind implementing what's been laid out here.
No problem i can do that

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
This is the pitch

Hi "name of person",

My name is "" and I am the "position of company" of the new "product type" called "product name".

"Product name" is the easiest solution to helping you become the best version of yourself, with only the touch of a couple buttons you can completely change your life around.

I believe my "product type" is a perfect match for your "Platform- for example blog post, youtube etc" as it aligns with your audiences interests. My "product type" helps people because insanely focused in just a short period of time, which ultimately leads to them improving their long-term focus.

I also provide these services in return for a promotion:

I am happy to also provide you provide you value in the following ways:
• An offer of "X amount of money" per promotion
• Give you a shout out on my Social media accounts
• Write any blog content for you

For more details:

"Links of websites and links to services"

Regards,
"Name"

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
This is the pitch

Hi "name of person",

My name is "" and I am the "position of company" of the new "product type" called "product name".

"Product name" is the easiest solution to helping you become the best version of yourself, with only the touch of a couple buttons you can completely change your life around.

I believe my "product type" is a perfect match for your "Platform- for example blog post, youtube etc" as it aligns with your audiences interests. My "product type" helps people because insanely focused in just a short period of time, which ultimately leads to them improving their long-term focus.

I also provide these services in return for a promotion:

I am happy to also provide you provide you value in the following ways:
• An offer of "X amount of money" per promotion
• Give you a shout out on my Social media accounts
• Write any blog content for you

For more details:

"Links of websites and links to services"

Regards,
"Name"

Too long. Too formal. Sounds like a copy/paste email or message. The "services" section doesn't work at all. You gotta warm them up to the idea before you start talking details of the deal.

Try something like this for a social message / DM:

Hi [Name],

I think your followers would love our [product name] because [reason].

Would you be interested in doing a collab?

Where "reason" should be something specific or unique to their account. If youtube video, maybe you substitute the word collab with review.

For bloggers, you'd be best off pre-writing an entire article, that would be a good fit for the blog, before you even contact them. Make it super easy for them to work with you. You've already done the work.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Too long. Too formal. Sounds like a copy/paste email or message. The "services" section doesn't work at all. You gotta warm them up to the idea before you start talking details of the deal.

Hi [Name],

Where "reason" should be something specific or unique to their account. If youtube video, maybe you substitute the word collab with review.

For bloggers, you'd be best off pre-writing an entire article, that would be a good fit for the blog, before you even contact them. Make it super easy for them to work with you. You've already done the work.
Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate that. I did get some responses, though I see your point I'll try fix it and come back. So you're saying write an article, with this what if I am contacting a Youtube influencer? Also how does the blog post come into play for the pitch?

You said this is for a "social message / DM:" but what about for an email pitch?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
So you're saying write an article, with this what if I am contacting a Youtube influencer? Also how does the blog post come into play for the pitch?

The example I shared would be fine for a youtuber. Youtube is good for product reviews/demos. Ask them if they'd be interested in doing a review.

email pitch?

Email you gotta be a little more formal. But I wouldn't exceed 2 or 3 sentences.

Blogger just wants to know that you've got quality content and a compelling idea for an article that would resonate with their readers. They don't want to think about how to incorporate your product into their blog.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
The example I shared would be fine for a youtuber. Youtube is good for product reviews/demos. Ask them if they'd be interested in doing a review.

Email you gotta be a little more formal. But I wouldn't exceed 2 or 3 sentences.

Blogger just wants to know that you've got quality content and a compelling idea for an article that would resonate with their readers. They don't want to think about how to incorporate your product into their blog.
Ok thanks. This is the issue I have, I look at other examples they are long then I look at some that are short. How am I supposed to know which one to pick? Not just for this but learning in general. And the only way I find out if I'm making a mistake is if I ask someone. Am I doing something wrong? I think about other people how they achieved certain things, even pitching an email it's just like they know how to do it, I'm guessing I'm missing something?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You're missing experience.

Want to try it 2 different ways? Then split test. 50% get long email 1. 50% get long email 2. Compare the results.
Not what I meant. What I mean't is like how would I know what approach works? Like for example you got people who know how to write a perfect pitch, they just seemed to know how to do it. I wouldn't of thought my pitch was that long until you mentioned it. Sorry if I'm being unclear it's hard to explain. Is it just constant trial and error? Like how am I supposed to know what I'm doing wrong if I'm not getting feedback?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Is it just constant trial and error?

Yes.

Also relying on the experience of others and learning from them and trying to emulate what they do

Like how am I supposed to know what I'm doing wrong if I'm not getting feedback?

Not getting feedback, IS feedback.

It means time to try something new.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Yes.

Also relying on the experience of others and learning from them and trying to emulate what they do

I see i might of just been overthinking this. What u said makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida

For reference, I believe MJ talks about this and other feedback forms in Unscripted within the Act, Asses, Adjust chapter.

Correct me if I’m wrong though.

OP you might want to go over those sections again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
How does one become a blogger/influencer?

I believe you just start up a blog and a social media account (mainly Instagram or YouTube these days), and begin posting content about particular niche categories or topics that you will focus on.

Depending on how good/valuable your content is around your specific subject area people will follow you on that channel/platform.

If you grow to a certain size of follower base, other people/brands will look at you as an “influencer” that they could use to potentially reach their target customers and expose them to their products.

For what it’s worth, the way I see it, I hate how bloggers themselves are auto declaring themselves “influencers”.... you slap that label on your bio and it’s like now you’re an influencer.... that’s not how it works in my eyes.. someone who truly influences doesn’t need to call himself an influencer.

Brands and other companies began terming those people, influencers, only to describe the way they could leverage those people to reach their target market and make sales.

Anyways, that’s my view. Open to others’ thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

Hi [Name],

Hey Amp, I have been practising writing emails. And I am going to include a pre-written article. Though I had a bit of a silly question. You said "That would be a good fit for the blog", should this article be about my product? Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.