The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Lower Cholesterol?

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
I think MJ mentioned something similar in his book (around the same age I'm 28). I had a health scare today from my doctor that has hard paved me into no more fast foods, restaurants, and strictly water and exercise now. My cholesterol was around 275, whereas it should be 150.

I was curious to know from anyone who has similar experiences, whats the best way to lower my cholesterol? I'm planning a 3-month goal to exercise 30mins-1hr minimum per day, and cut out all fast food, sodas, starbucks, cookies, and strictly eat well balanced foods.

I was thinking oatmeal, baking talapia or catfish from now one, no more french fries, adding greens and taking vitamin D supplements, and getting more sleep (I usually go to bed around 12-1, and wake up around 7-8).

If anyone has any suggestions or solid advice let me know? If you can suggest some proper meals as I will be cutting out all fast foods, feel free to post.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
To make you feel better, I am 30 and my cholesterol level is at 320 from my last blood test a few weeks ago.

I will also be eating a balanced meal - mainly more veggies, lean meat, and a lot less carbs that are whole grain. I don't eat at fast foods. My issue is eating a lot of carbs and fatty meat.

I think MJ mentioned something similar in his book (around the same age I'm 28). I had a health scare today from my doctor that has hard paved me into no more fast foods, restaurants, and strictly water and exercise now. My cholesterol was around 275, whereas it should be 150.

I was curious to know from anyone who has similar experiences, whats the best way to lower my cholesterol? I'm planning a 3-month goal to exercise 30mins-1hr minimum per day, and cut out all fast food, sodas, starbucks, cookies, and strictly eat well balanced foods.

I was thinking oatmeal, baking talapia or catfish from now one, no more french fries, adding greens and taking vitamin D supplements, and getting more sleep (I usually go to bed around 12-1, and wake up around 7-8).

If anyone has any suggestions or solid advice let me know? If you can suggest some proper meals as I will be cutting out all fast foods, feel free to post.

Thanks.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Wow, well I've immediately changed my eating. I came home and started a meal with green beans, carrots, and baked fish. I'm pumping water like it's no tomorrow, and already started planning working out tonight.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
In my experience, changed to turkey meat, baked fish, skinless chicken, cut out any fast food, and I eat soup everyday for lunch. Lowered mine ~50 points. Still working on lowering a little more.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
In my experience, changed to turkey meat, baked fish, skinless chicken, cut out any fast food, and I eat soup everyday for lunch. Lowered mine ~50 points. Still working on lowering a little more.
^ THIS for sure.

This is part of my diet...I'm not a doctor and this is what's worked for me for my overall good health. Oatmeal, brown rice, lots of veggies, greens, and fruits, eggs. Eat as much organic as you can. Drop the milk if you drink it along with cheeze. IF you need your carbs to be lower, organic coconut oil and/or MCT oil is great. NO sugar (pop, table sugar...read the labels).

I've been taking Atorvastatin per my doctor, but my cholesterol was high because of my genetics, not my diet.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Just to update. I tried to exercise this evening, but I'm tired (had to follow up with my pcp and work on my car these last 2 hours with heavy lighting). My doctor said based on the results this a pre-warning for everything (especially with my triglycerides), and I have no choice but to change my lifestyle with food and exercise.

I did eat a healthy dinner though. Greens, green beans, carrots, yellow rice, and baked fish.

Tomorrow I will have to go jogging and do push-ups/sit-ups, and create a workout regimen.

3b0ac3805de3c7590746360a951f8cb4.jpg

Last edited:

Tenu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 26, 2016
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Just to update. I tried to exercise this evening, but I'm tired (had to follow up with my pcp and work on my car these last 2 hours with heavy lighting). My doctor said based on the results this a pre-warning for everything (especially with my triglycerides), and I have no choice but to change my lifestyle with food and exercise.

I did eat a healthy dinner though. Greens, green beans, carrots, yellow rice, and baked fish.

Tomorrow I will have to go jogging and do push-ups/sit-ups, and create a workout regimen.

3b0ac3805de3c7590746360a951f8cb4.jpg

Dietary cholesterol doesn't actually cause cholesterol . Watch out for trans fat !
Trans fats increase LDL and decreases HCL.

Last edited:

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks.
Are you overweight?

If not, but still concerned about Cholesterol; this is out of my field of expertise.
If so, and the real goal is to lower body fat; feel free to contact me and I'll help you out.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
The fastest way to reduce your cholesterol is eating strictly fruits and vegetables, especially through juicing. 7-10 days would be plenty enough to jump start, and with the addition of fruit (which I don't see you currently have on your menu) will aid in the loss in energy. Also, take a multi-vitamin.

Thereafter, eat the modified diet you have just changed to (adding back proteins like turkey, boneless skinless chicken, and fish), and like @Bigguns50 says, eat organic. Avoid dairy, as it's a huge catalyst to inflammation in the veins.

In 90 days, you won't be the same person.

If you think you can't do just veggies and fruit for a week, I would absolutely eliminate processed foods of any kind, salt and sugar, at a minimum. Sugar found in fruit is fine, of course.

UrbanLegend

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 22, 2017
Munich, Germany

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
High cholesterol is above 200, not 150. Cholesterol is a marker, lots of people with high cholesterol have strokes and heart attacks, but often times it is just high and no issues. If you weigh 400 pounds and have high cholesterol, it is the weight killing you, not the cholesterol. Artificially deflating cholesterol with medications, has been shown in one fairly recent study to reduce heart attack and stroke, but two older ones (with smaller populations) did not. If you really like bread and popcorn, you may have a folate deficiency causing your body to crave those things, you can take a supplement for that, and I have seen reports of people lowering their cholesterol over 100 points. If that fits, Google it and there are particular processes that make the folate more absorbent and make sure you take a supplement following that process. Exercise, eat right and in moderation, live life.

Swam010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 8, 2016
Not a Doctor here but only an inspiration of what has worked for me:

go Vegan and avoid any form of refined food ( even olive oil and other oils )

S. Nicholas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Jan 25, 2017
Michigan
The School of Natural Healing recommends the 'mucus-less diet' ( Yoda is spot-on in his post because he outlined the mucus less diet perfectly) coupled with an herbal combination called "Dr. Christopher's Blood Stream Formula". This may be found at your local health food store or on line for about $12 per 100cap/bottle.
My brother in law had hi cholesterol and hi blood pressure. He followed this program with the addition of cayenne pepper capsules three times a day. His BP and cholesterol levels became normal in two weeks.
I used to eat 6 eggs, 4 yogurts, 3 glasses of milk every day in order to gain muscle mass. Dairy was 90% of my diet. I found a lump under my arm. The doctor told me to cut out all dairy or start making a list of people who would be my pall bearers. The lump was clogged lymph nodes due to mucus. (all dairy causes mucus).
I got the hint and stopped all dairy, cleansed my bloodstream and lymph system, and started taking cayenne pepper caps,
After one month of this program my doctor was amazed at the change. He said I had the blood pressure and heart rate of a 25 yr old ( I'm 58 )
I also discovered that you can build muscle with nuts, seeds, and herbs instead of dairy.
Enjoy the journey

Fukuokasan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jan 8, 2016
Spain

150 cholesterol = we are going to sell lots of pills.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I immediately have made a lot of changes. See I had 4 issues:

Vitamin d was low
Cholesterol was high
Triglycerides were high
Liver was slightly elevated

Doctor said that's signs of predia..

So I cut out all the Starbucks, all nutty butter snacks and frappes, the Olive Garden, papadeux, chik-fil-a and other restaurants.

I'm running 2-3 miles today. And in the last few days, I've been eating nothing but greens, green beans, carrots, white beans, talapia, and a salad. If I want a snack, I got a non salted mixed pack of almonds, cashews, pistachios, pecans.

Last night I ate brown rice with a few shrimp (all boiled).

Lunch was a salad with a side of brocoli

90c483e83b64bcb027b917aa80c09964.jpg

And I'm trying to detox my liver. I've been pumping water like it's no tomorrow these last few days, and I'm wonder is there any flavored water without sugar and carbs? If not, it's ok, Im just detested a little by the taste of water, but if it's not, then more filtered water it is.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Also I'm getting tired of nuts over and over, but I'm trying to cut out sugar by a margin, so I'm wondering will celery with peanut butter do the trick?

I did find peanut butter does have sugar in it [emoji36], but I wondering is this one good to eat moderately?

02062f61513217353ab82945c12e9286.jpg

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Started off lunch with cabbage, chicken, salad, and yellow (not better than brown). Will get to jogging (even in this cold weather)

b97b069262194fb8c194ac49218eb007.jpg

S. Nicholas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Jan 25, 2017
Michigan
I, too, am not fond of the taste of bottled water. For the last year I've taken to drinking only distilled water. When i try a bottled water now I can really taste the difference. Most of the flavored waters that i have tried taste "diety". To me distilled water tastes like water should; pure and fresh. I've also "mostly" replaced peanut butter with almond butter. It is more expensive but tastes better on raspberry sandwiches. :)

edwardlobo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 8, 2016
I had very high triglycerides
Normal levels are around 150
500mg are considered high
I had 1300
They rechecked and it came around the same

I started a complete fast day
There is a video of why it actually is good for you

When on complete fasting I realised my energy levels were very high

There was no lethargic feeling

First fast was most difficult

I started jogging on fast days, the body burns pure fat
They body assumes you are without food supplies and powers you for a hunt so you actually feel far more energetic

I supplemented with turine, q10 & carnitine to make the fat readily available to cells

On non fast days I don't count calories
I fast intermittently thrice a week
My stomach size has reduced as well so I am full with smaller portions on non fast day

Some days I fast 2 days in a row so 4 days a week

99.99% of our evolution time was like this plus it's cheaper to survive !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
I had very high triglycerides
Normal levels are around 150
500mg are considered high
I had 1300
They rechecked and it came around the same

I started a complete fast day
There is a video of why it actually is good for you

When on complete fasting I realised my energy levels were very high

There was no lethargic feeling

First fast was most difficult

I started jogging on fast days, the body burns pure fat
They body assumes you are without food supplies and powers you for a hunt so you actually feel far more energetic

I supplemented with turine, q10 & carnitine to make the fat readily available to cells

On non fast days I don't count calories
I fast intermittently thrice a week
My stomach size has reduced as well so I am full with smaller portions on non fast day

Some days I fast 2 days in a row so 4 days a week

99.99% of our evolution time was like this plus it's cheaper to survive !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did a little over 2 miles today (walked 1 mile, jogged and walked the next), and my body felt like "WTF is happening"? Feels like I burned a bit, but I will do it again tomorrow/sat, and so forth.

Has is your health now?

Xmarchanian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 18, 2016
As you can see with all the responses to your question, there is no right way. What works for some doesn't work for others.
If you look at all of the health and nutrition advice, 3 pieces of advice stands out:
  1. Increase Sleep
  2. Reduce Sugar
  3. Improve Relationships

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
As you can see with all the responses to your question, there is no right way. What works for some doesn't work for others.
If you look at all of the health and nutrition advice, 3 pieces of advice stands out:
  1. Increase Sleep
  2. Reduce Sugar
  3. Improve Relationships

Also exercise, something I neglected for years, and my diet. I hardly drunk water. Only apple juice and would eat out at any fast food restaurant at least once a day, if not 3 times.

QueueQueue

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 12, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I am really into health/fitness (have probably spent way too much time listening to podcasts and reading literature on the subject) and have experimented with a wide range of diets and actually have found that the most optimal blood work I have had has been doing a ketogenic/very low carbohydrate diet.

My diet consisted of almost all my calories coming from fat, some protein, and any carbs intake is from green vegetables. The fats I consumed were eggs, steak, cheese, avocados, bacon, butter, coconut oil, nuts, etc. While following this I typically am quite lean as well. You tend to eat less overall when you're eating a lot of fat due to fat being more satiating. I highly suggest reading into this, as I have heard countless stories of people reducing their cholesterol on this diet.

It is a HUGE misconception that eating fat makes you fat, and with a bit of research you can see how this misconception has been perpetuated (you can read about "the china study" to learn more, plus there is tonnes of more recent research that supports this as well). Modern studies of various diets show that people that eat high amounts of healthy fat have good health.

It sounds from your posts in this thread you are moving towards the right direction in reducing eating out and buying high sugar drinks. Even in doing just that you're going to see a huge improvement over the upcoming months.

Also, diet aside, as you are probably aware, sedentary lifestyle contributes to your problems. So start getting physical activity into your day to day. The best way to make it a habit is to make it apart of your routine. I go to the gym every morning before work, and have been for a few years now. It eventually becomes "just something you do", like brushing your teeth or showering every day. You don't even think about it. Set your alarm, get up, put on your gym clothes, and do SOMETHING. Habits are built by repetition, so even if you're only getting 15 minutes in, that's fine. Absolutely no excuses. Tired? Too bad. Have a lot of other stuff to do? Make time. Too sore? Workout a part of your body that isn't sore. Not working out is NOT an option anymore. Not only is it good for your physical well being, it makes you feel so much better mentally. You will perform better at whatever mental task you're applying yourself to. Everyone pursuing entrepreneurship should be incorporating it into their daily routine.

If you have any questions I am more than willing to help!

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Thanks. After my walk today, my stomach felt like "whoa" like it's losing fat. I just have to keep at it, and start building muscle, as it seems I have fat (even though I appear slender). I've been reading the facts behind foods now and release I've been eating foods with too much of sugar. Was about to eat raisins today (but it said 24g of sugar), and I said no way!

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
So I am coming at this from a background in Physical Therapy, rather than personal experience with High Cholesterol.

Some important numbers:
Total Cholesterol:
<200 = Recommended
200-239 = moderate risk of heart disease
>240 = high risk for heart disease

Triglycerides:
<100 = Desirable
<150 = Recommended
>200 = high risk

My suggestion is to simply live a healthy lifestyle. Sounds painfully vague, but it is true. All these "diets" that tell you to significantly reduce or completely eliminate certain foods from your diet is unhealthy. Will it lower your cholesterol? Probably. However, now you are putting a strain on your body in other areas.

My suggestion is to find foods that you like to eat, that are healthy as well. Oatmeal, Fish, Turkey(More lean than chicken, although chicken is fine too), Green Beans, Lettuce, Milk, A sandwich(Yes you can eat carbs, it is what gives your body energy... just eat the recommended amount), Fish oil, apples... etc.

Essentially eat healthy, but be reasonable. Set yourself up for success. If you eat salad everyday, you're setting your self up for failure, no one can keep a strict salad diet forever.

Exercise is also incredibly important. Make sure you work your way up. Don't be the weekend warrior that injuries himself, or pushes himself to hard to early. Build up. If you haven't worked out in a while, then slowly work your way in.

Hope this helps! Remember, stay consistent. This is your body, make sure you take care of it... you only have one of them. Stay consistent and live happy :thumbsup:

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
So I am coming at this from a background in Physical Therapy, rather than personal experience with High Cholesterol.

Some important numbers:
Total Cholesterol:
<200 = Recommended
200-239 = moderate risk of heart disease
>240 = high risk for heart disease

Triglycerides:
<100 = Desirable
<150 = Recommended
>200 = high risk

My suggestion is to simply live a healthy lifestyle. Sounds painfully vague, but it is true. All these "diets" that tell you to significantly reduce or completely eliminate certain foods from your diet is unhealthy. Will it lower your cholesterol? Probably. However, now you are putting a strain on your body in other areas.

My suggestion is to find foods that you like to eat, that are healthy as well. Oatmeal, Fish, Turkey(More lean than chicken, although chicken is fine too), Green Beans, Lettuce, Milk, A sandwich(Yes you can eat carbs, it is what gives your body energy... just eat the recommended amount), Fish oil, apples... etc.

Essentially eat healthy, but be reasonable. Set yourself up for success. If you eat salad everyday, you're setting your self up for failure, no one can keep a strict salad diet forever.

Exercise is also incredibly important. Make sure you work your way up. Don't be the weekend warrior that injuries himself, or pushes himself to hard to early. Build up. If you haven't worked out in a while, then slowly work your way in.

Hope this helps! Remember, stay consistent. This is your body, make sure you take care of it... you only have one of them. Stay consistent and live happy :thumbsup:

Ok, I actually read my results wrong.

Tris are around 275 (so thats why I cut out all the sugars).
Cholesterol still needs work though (151)

And that's all ive been doing, pumping salads, spinach, and greens into my meals. I want to get myself back into shape.

And fyi my tris were 53 in 2015... ha

Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Ok, I actually read my results wrong.

Tris are around 275 (so thats why I cut out all the sugars).
Cholesterol still needs work though (151)

And that's all ive been doing, pumping salads, spinach, and greens into my meals. I want to get myself back into shape.

Yup! Don't stray to far from a normal, healthy diet. Everything on the my plate should be followed, your body needs all of those things.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Just meal prep for tomorrow. Will be eating oatmeal (cooked kind with nothing added) for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and greens if I get hungry. Water for everything else. Nuts and cashews for a snack.

Quick question...

Would I be able to drink this tea in about a week?

0c45c9a15625be076594855566d5bfef.jpg

Also, heard this was good peanut butter so I scooped it up:

690302a90a2808b7ae03177410ec4f32.jpg

QueueQueue

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 12, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Usually the peanut butter i've seen that is marketed as "natural" tends to be the no sugar added stuff. That's usually the good choice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.