The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Lower Cholesterol?

andrewhook

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Oct 22, 2016
Italy
Here in Italy, the food is absolutely the most discussed topic, so i'll tell you some tips i've heard.
First of all, let's destroy a myth: a low fat diet won't solve the problem.
Just keep an amount of daily fat around 20%.
Replace the saturated fats (basically animal fats) with the good ones (vegetal fats, fish oil..).

Then, follow a diet that includes these foods:
Eggs, legumes, fruit, vegetables, dried fruit, rice, low-fat meat and fish.
I know it is strange to hear it from an Italian guy, but avoid pasta and bread.

Finally, workout. At least 30 min per day.

The healthy life is strange: It is difficult to begin it, but then it's hard to stop it
:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Add some bananas or apples to your oatmeal. Tastes much better in my opinion.

Check the ingredients on the peanut butter, if it says Partially Hydrogenated Oil or just Hydrogenated Oil, I would stay away from it. You typically see that stuff in creamy peanut butter.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Add some bananas or apples to your oatmeal. Tastes much better in my opinion.

Check the ingredients on the peanut butter, if it says Partially Hydrogenated Oil or just Hydrogenated Oil, I would stay away from it. You typically see that stuff in creamy peanut butter.

Yeah this is what I found:
693b66791cd22045d64ef7f0ce9b40c0.jpg

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Here to update. For the last couple of days I've been eating nothing but cabbage, salads, and greens! I mean breakfast I'll eat grits or oatmeal, but I've od'ed on salad with no dressing (or crotons or cheese), cabbage, and greens, and a few carrots, and chicken here and there. No fruit at all.

Seems like my body is being flushed. Like my urine feels like I'm flushing out toxins after eating right and drinking big glasses of water each day.

I've been having withdrawals lately, like mood swings (but are getting better), and just the desire for a little snack or smoothie, but I'm worried about the effect on my tri's.

Here's tonight (zucchini, carrots, fish, and shrimp)
063f1436351fafc10d6d117fe3dc2651.jpg

The ketchup has 1g of sugar, and I just put less than 1 tsp of it. Same with the oatmeal, I've been avoiding sugar. Also have been pumping water, and I parked all the way at the end of the grocery store and walked.

I feel like I'm going crazy with no kind of sugar/snacks. Peanuts and cashews have been my only snacks.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know?

Should I continue this lifestyle until Friday and then slowly add a small apple as a snack (only half, blended)?

Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Here to update. For the last couple of days I've been eating nothing but cabbage, salads, and greens! I mean breakfast I'll eat grits or oatmeal, but I've od'ed on salad with no dressing (or crotons or cheese), cabbage, and greens, and a few carrots, and chicken here and there. No fruit at all.

Seems like my body is being flushed. Like my urine feels like I'm flushing out toxins after eating right and drinking big glasses of water each day.

I've been having withdrawals lately, like mood swings (but are getting better), and just the desire for a little snack or smoothie, but I'm worried about the effect on my tri's.

Here's tonight (zucchini, carrots, fish, and shrimp)
063f1436351fafc10d6d117fe3dc2651.jpg

The ketchup has 1g of sugar, and I just put less than 1 tsp of it. Same with the oatmeal, I've been avoiding sugar. Also have been pumping water, and I parked all the way at the end of the grocery store and walked.

I feel like I'm going crazy with no kind of sugar/snacks. Peanuts and cashews have been my only snacks.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know?

Should I continue this lifestyle until Friday and then slowly add a small apple as a snack (only half, blended)?

I've already suggested what I think you should do. However, I think you should emotionally link certain snacks that you crave, to something negative. I linked things of gluten with me being uncomfortable. I did the same with soda and how it made my skin feel. I will look at snacks and soda and could not care less about either of them. I actually really dislike soda now.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Update:

I cheated today!

Started the day off with "whole grain oatmeal", and this is what I just ate for lunch.

3da39f94a060863e1fa31bf614558864.jpg

This is the first day in about a week since I've "ate out" anywhere. And it's from a restaurant called "Lubys" like home style food.

I feel like I cheated though eating this.

Baked white fish, green beans, and spinach. It was a little oily, so I ate moderately.

Yelcho

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Dec 11, 2016
I dont know if you smoke, but quitting smoking helps to lower cholesterol.
And as mentioned previously, cut out refined sugars.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
No I don't smoke or drink. Just would sit in a chair long periods of time, eat junk food and fast food, and not exercise.

Been trying to eat lately some more good foods.

6d5ade5af34841de27fdbe4cf4ddcae7.jpg

Talapia, yellow rice, salad, and shrimp.

02efa09756f20cc6db5bcfcde7b8093a.jpg

Green beans and a chicken salad with lite dressing.

Update:

I ran 2 miles Wednesday, did a mile on my bike yesterday, and I've been eating so much spinach, carrots, oatmeal, and fish! Water has been my only source of hydration and no fruits.

Now today I'm having (salmon) with greens beans and carrots

I'm curious would I be able to eat rotel queso for the super bowl or is this something I should avoid? I want queso and salsa so bad, I've been avoiding nearly everything.

In almost 2 weeks (Monday will mark 2 weeks), I haven't had any: juice, sodas, bread, pasta, milk, cheese, and no sugar (unless you count the plain oatmeal that has it already and small amounts of ketchup and salad dressing which have 1-2g).

I don't know even how it feels to get a snack.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I'm curious would I be able to eat rotel queso for the super bowl or is this something I should avoid? I want queso and salsa so bad, I've been avoiding nearly everything.

In almost 2 weeks (Monday will mark 2 weeks), I haven't had any: juice, sodas, bread, pasta, milk, cheese, and no sugar (unless you count the plain oatmeal that has it already and small amounts of ketchup and salad dressing which have 1-2g).

I don't know even how it feels to get a snack.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Having cheat days are okay, but remember, everything in moderation. Want some queso and salsa for the superbowl, do it up. Just don't stuff your face and try and make up for the missed 2 weeks of junk food. I would try and stay away from soda, unless you want to have small cup of it.

Pro Tip: Drink Icee(That's a type of carbonated drink). Tastes like soda with the carbonation, but without the sugar and unhealthy stuff. Only negative is that it has Food Coloring in it like Yellow #5 and Blue#6 which is said to increase prevalence on ADHD and increase your chances to have cancer. Granted, this stuff is in just about any food that is not organic, so I typically wouldn't worry about it to much. Just something to keep in mind.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Do you have a picture of how icee looks?

And I just picked these up, are these any good? Seems like the pumpkin seeds would help the liver and almonds would help with cholesterol.

2a72533067f05bec54f977a79c992e05.jpg

89ced9173d72624ab440cd9b6d4ceb6a.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
IMO, I think the cholesterol fears are overblown as used as a tool by the pharmaceutical giants to sell drugs/statins.

Reminds me of the "low fat" craze some decades ago which has been proven to be bunk.

I believe the real enemy in the entire dietary scheme of things is sugar and highly refined carbs. Reduce, or better, eliminate sugar, and your cholesterol will drop.

Just my opinion and this of course, is not to be construed as medical advice. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on the internet either. Just echoing my empirical experience.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
IMO, I think the cholesterol fears are overblown as used as a tool by the pharmaceutical giants to sell drugs/statins.

Reminds me of the "low fat" craze some decades ago which has been proven to be bunk.

I believe the real enemy in the entire dietary scheme of things is sugar and highly refined carbs. Reduce, or better, eliminate sugar, and your cholesterol will drop.

Just my opinion and this of course, is not to be construed as medical advice. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on the internet either. Just echoing my empirical experience.

Thanks for the advice MJ. When I was around 27 a doctor told me I had high cholesterol. I lowered it, but went back to eating fried "everything" again haha.

Starbucks grande fraps 2x a week (especially when they have pumpkin spice), and juice/sodas all day. Olive Garden, salt grass ribs, sailors plaitor at red lobster, and a lot of Tex Mexican food.

I think what scared me is that my triglycerides were kind of high around 275 (were 55 in 2015), my cholesterol was 151 (101 in 2015), and my liver was slightly elevated (probably from the excess sugar).

My doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol medication, but said it could affect the liver, so she recommend I change my diet and exercise, and come back in 3 months to see.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Great effort you have @LamboKing

Funny enough I do PPC for someone that sells Cholesterol supplements. No I'm not here to push it. lol

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think its been touched.. but Fasting can do wonders. I'm talking about a real 7-10+ day fast with no food. Intermentant daily fasting could prob help too, but things really start to change around day 3 with strict fasting that lasts a week or more.

If you haven't done it before, please think about it.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Great effort you have @LamboKing

Funny enough I do PPC for someone that sells Cholesterol supplements. No I'm not here to push it. lol

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think its been touched.. but Fasting can do wonders. I'm talking about a real 7-10+ day fast with no food. Intermentant daily fasting could prob help too, but things really start to change around day 3 with strict fasting that lasts a week or more.

If you haven't done it before, please think about it.

Thanks. I don't think my body can do 7-10 hours fasting haha. If i don't eat my whole concentration, body greatly reduces.

Ascension

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Okay, some of these points were already mentioned but I'll revisit them anyways.
Your main focus should lay on your fiber intake, meaning whole foods. Nuts, seeds, beans, greens, vegetables and especially whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice etc. (like you are already doing).

Why is that the case?

Our liver makes all the cholesterol we need, any excess cholesterol gets dumped into the gut where it is supposed to get flushed away. In the past that wasn't a problem as our ancestors likely consumed around 100g+ of dieatary fiber a day while the average American is struggling to get to 13g. The fiber binds the cholesterol and flushes it out of your system.

There is no reason to avoid fruit, as long as you eat the whole fruit. That way there is no dramatic spike in blood sugar which would put you on higher risk for diabetes and heart disease. (Fruit juice on the other hand increases your diabetes risk opposed to whole fruit, which takes it down)

Additionally a lot of fruits and veggies help your blood vessels dialate which lowers your heart disease/stroke risk and makes it easier for your body to unclog your arteries.

What to avoid:

As already mentioned, cut out processed foods as much as possible. Additionally even more importantly cut out ALL saturated fats and ALL dietary cholesterol.

That means no eggs, no fish, no dairy and no meats in general (yes, also no white meat, modern chicken has fattened so much that it contains similar levels of saturated fat to red meat). Additionally cocoa and coconut can also raise your cholesterol.

So why no saturated fat and cholesterol? Others before me have commented that it's a myth that saturated fat contributes to high cholesterol or heart disease. (Not meant to offend anyone, I just want to help someone who could face serious health risks)

Well, it's what the research says. Also virtually any organisation for the treatment or prevention of heart health, diabetes, cancers or neurodegenerative diseases advises a whole-foods plant-based diet.

Still there is research denying the connection between saturated fats and cholesterol. But if you take a closer look, you'll see that these studies have been deliberatly set up to fail. For example red meat got replaced by eggs and wonder oh wonder, the cholesterol levels didn't change. The conclusion: Eggs don't increase cholesterol levels.
Or you look at the effect of cholesterol in the blood and the risk of heart disease and adjust for risk factors as dietary intake of cholesterol. Since you basically took cholesterol out of the equation suddenly there isn't a statistically significant connection.
Another method is to take test subjects who are already at high risk for heart disease (high cholesterol) and feed them additional meat or dairy. This will result in little to no change. At a certain point it gets harder and harder to increase your cholesterol levels even further and just like that you've "proven" that there is no link between the uptake of saturated fats and cholesterol and heart disease.

Oh and a word of caution on salt. The effect isn't large but sodium intake does stiffen your arteries and increase blood pressure in consequence. That isn't good normally but especially harmful if you are already at high risk of heart disease, stroke etc because of you clogged arteries.

PS: There are a lot of awesome recipes you can try. The simplest one would be whole-weat pasta (no salt in the cooking water) with a sauce made of tomatos (no added salt), chickpeas (trust me on this one), oregano (and other spices, after taste) and some greens like green beans or broccoli.
Throw it all together, try it and never look back

QueueQueue

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 12, 2016
Ontario, Canada

Agree 100%. Essentially, all the scientific evidence coming out on this topic is supporting this.

WhoAmI

New Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 21, 2015
"Dieting" will most likely always be a failure in the long term. Often people resort back to the old habits that made them diet in the first place after the predetermined goal set by the type of dieting is reached.. It's not diets that people need, its a lifestyle change. Diets are more of a system to reach short term goals; while changing our lifestyles are great for reaching those short term goals, but also creating lasting habits to positively impact our lives in the long run.

Be selfish about what you put into your body. If you had the highest end Lambo out there, would you put shitty cheap fuel into it knowing that it would over time destroy the engine? Think of it in terms of business or investing. Whatever a person consumes should benefit them in a positive way. You wouldn't put out a bunch of money and time for an investment or a business that you absolutely knew would offer zero return, or even negative return would you?

I would suggest adding fruit to your diet..
pick yourself up a high quality blender like a vitamix. Your life will never be the same. It's a lot easier to drink two apples, an orange, a banana, a cup of blueberries, two kiwis, a handful of strawberries, and a handful of spinach, than it is to try and eat all that for breakfast..
The blender is also great for making "green smoothies", which have many health benefits other than helping to lower cholesterol levels.

Try to eliminate all enriched flour. As previously stated try to reduce flour bread and pasta intake all together.
Finding a bread that has the words "whole" in the tittle is a good start, but always check the ingredients for things like enriched flour, sugar, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup and "hydrogenated whatevers". A good choice would be to find an organic whole grain, but a better choice would be a tasty organic sprouted bread. I said "tasty" cause some of the sprouted breads taste like cardboard..it might take a couple of tries to find one you like, but IMHO the benefits of the sprouted breads far outweigh the negative aspect of taste..

You should make it a goal to eliminate all refined sugars from your diet. Be mindful also of products listed as "all natural", because a lot of them still contain added sugar. the trail mix photo you posted above is a prime example because the cranberries and mangoes have been coated in sugar for added sweetness. if sugar is listed under the ingredients, then it means it's been added.. there are many terms though, to hide what is ultimately added sugars:

Anhydrous dextrose, brown sugar, cane crystals, cane sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, corn syrup solids, crystal dextrose, evaporated cane juice, fructose sweetener, fruit juice concentrates, high-fructose corn syrup, liquid fructose, malt syrup, maple syrup, molasses, fructose, carbitol, corn sweetener, diglycerides, disaccharides, evaporated cane juice, erythritol, fructooligosaccharides, galactose, glucitol, glucoamine, hexitol, inversol, isomalt, maltodextrin, malted barley, malts, mannitol, pentose, raisin syrup, ribose rice syrup, rice malt, rice syrup solids, sorbitol, sorghum, sucanat, sucanet, xylitol and zylose etc...
I would suggest becoming familiar with at least a few of those ingredients listed above, because sometimes it's not as easy as just seeing the word "sugar" listed in the ingredients..

Be careful with the salads also. Avoid only using iceberg lettuce for the salad. try to use more of the darker leafy greens (spring mix, spinach etc) as the bulk of the salad and the iceberg as kind of a filler. Adding some pumpkin seeds, walnuts, or sunflower seeds really changes the dynamic of a boring old salad. Try to find or make a good dressing also. One that doesn't contain any "hydrogenated whatevers", and no added sugars, or unnecessary ingredients. There's really no point in eating a salad that's smothered in a thick creamy ranch dressing (full of sugar or sugar substitutes) with bacon bits sprinkled on top... might as well just eat a box of oreos..

Its great that your already drinking lots of water. Water is vital to a healthy lifestyle. Make sure to drink a big glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning to give your body a jump start...
Just a little side note.. I used to work with a friend who ONLY drank red bull energy drinks..all day... everyday. I finally convinced him to give up the red bulls for water, and the results were dramatic. He lost I think close to 20lbs in three weeks just from removing the red Bull from his diet and replacing it with water..No other aspect of his diet was changed. I'll never forget sitting at lunch with him one day and him saying "I feel amazing..I never knew I could feel this good".

If you're doing everything that you've been posting, then you're off to a great start. I would recommend continuing with the cycling. Push yourself a little harder each time you go out to ride. I'm not talking about trying to ride like you're on the Tour De France.. Just try bringing your heart rate up more than the last time for a determined amount of time; eg 30 sec sprint etc.. Remember that eating healthy and living healthy doesn't have to taste bad and be boring.

IMHO being healthy now by living a healthy lifestyle offers a much higher chance (obviously it's not an absolute guarantee) of being healthy in the future. After all, who wants to be in and out of doctors offices or hospitals, taking a bunch of pills, taking other pills to counteract the side effects of the other pills, or barely being able to move while they're enjoying their future (or even present) fastlane fortunes?

apologize for the rambling nature of the post. just some quick thoughts off the top of the noggin..

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Dietary cholesterol doesn't actually cause cholesterol . Watch out for trans fat !
Trans fats increase LDL and decreases HCL.
What you just said goes against all of the science FYI.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I think MJ mentioned something similar in his book (around the same age I'm 28). I had a health scare today from my doctor that has hard paved me into no more fast foods, restaurants, and strictly water and exercise now. My cholesterol was around 275, whereas it should be 150.

I was curious to know from anyone who has similar experiences, whats the best way to lower my cholesterol? I'm planning a 3-month goal to exercise 30mins-1hr minimum per day, and cut out all fast food, sodas, starbucks, cookies, and strictly eat well balanced foods.

I was thinking oatmeal, baking talapia or catfish from now one, no more french fries, adding greens and taking vitamin D supplements, and getting more sleep (I usually go to bed around 12-1, and wake up around 7-8).

If anyone has any suggestions or solid advice let me know? If you can suggest some proper meals as I will be cutting out all fast foods, feel free to post.

Thanks.
I got my Cholesterol down to 150 (I'm 26) by following a Whole Foods, plant based diet. Watch the documentary called "Forks over Knives" on Netflix if you need convincing. There is plenty of proof that saturated fat causes raised ldl. Anyone that tells you otherwise follow ignorant Paleo doctors that don't understand the science. Watch Mic. The vegan's videos about humans being herbivores. That's why we get heart disease from eating animals. Before anyone calls me crazy for making the claim that humans are herbivores, go watch those two videos titled "humans are herbivores" and "My humans are herbivores video has been debunked" listen to the arguement he has to make before you make your assertions and he has the response to any argument you give me so don't waste my time unless you watch them. I'd be happy to debate after you've seen the opposing viewpoint.

Tenu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 26, 2016
What you just said goes against all of the science FYI.

Well look at this study
Revisiting dietary cholesterol recommendations: does the evidence support a limit of 300 mg/d? - PubMed - NCBI

and this
Trans fatty acids and their effects on lipoproteins in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

As you can see artificial trans fat are bad.
You are right that saturated fat does increase LDL but don't forget that HCL also increases so the ratio between HCL/LDL is maintained.
Revisiting dietary cholesterol recommendations: does the evidence support a limit of 300 mg/d? - PubMed - NCBI
Forget pushing that 'humans are herbivores' or 'humans are carnivores'. Just stick to the science.

Ascension

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Well look at this study

and this
Trans fatty acids and their effects on lipoproteins in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

As you can see artificial trans fat are bad.
You are right that saturated fat does increase LDL but don't forget that HCL also increases so the ratio between HCL/LDL is maintained.
Forget pushing that 'humans are herbivores' or 'humans are carnivores'. Just stick to the science.

In regards to your second study, yes trans fats are bad, no arguing here. But your study also said that "diets aimed at reducing the risk of coronary heart disease should be low in both trans and saturated fatty acids."

Since only the abstract of your first study is freely available I can't comment much on that one. So far it is only a statement without any numbers supporting it. I won't argue though that there aren't any studies supporting the supposed harmlessness of dietary cholesterol and saturated fats. If you are interested in how such studies come to be I'll link two videos which disect a meta-analysis claiming "no statistically significant evidence for the association between saturated fat intake and heart diesease"
It's a nice compilation of ways you can deliberatly set a study up to fail from the beginning.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Tx9dCbv-g&t=23s&ab_channel=PlantPositive

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wi9dzkTiU4&ab_channel=PlantPositive

Another point I wanted to mention: Carnivores or Omnivores do NOT get heart disease. It simply isn't possible. They possess an enzyme that protects them from the detrimental effects of cholesterol that isn't present in humans. Genetically engineer them to take that enzyme away and suddenly they get clogged arteries and heart disease just like humans on a diet high in saturated fats.

Furthermore artherosclerosis can't build in the absence of saturated fats. Studies of traditional hunter-gatherer societies have shown again and again, that heart disease is virtually non-existent in these people.
Well maybe there is a genetic component in play. No, introduce them to western diets and their disease risk shoots up. The best example for that is Japan which has seen massive spikes in heart disease, prostate cancer, diabetes etc. since introducing more meat and dairy into the diet.

Sorry, I don't have time right now to search out all the studies, but here's a video on the connection between cholesterol levels and hearrt disease (including the studies)
How Do We Know that Cholesterol Causes Heart Disease? | NutritionFacts.org

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Just wanted to update everyone this week. The information I've been reading on here has been tremendously helpful!

@WhoAmI your post is incredible. I was surprised to see how much sugar is in condiments or other foods.

This week, was very weird, and I feel like I cheated.

Super Bowl came, so I treated myself to queso and organic chips

I got the no salt added and washed my rotel very well:

46848b847055d896f6ff29bb95b3aca3.jpg

My mothers birthday was also this week, so I took her out to eat at a Cajun restaurant (that's what she wanted), and ordered the least fried thing I could find. It was a entree of dirty rice grilled talapia, and shrimp with water.

3a79a416f6a3ce7553e51ff5f1b6c015.jpg

As for the flip side, I've been exercising and eating more greens. I've had cabbage, and spanich meals this week.

0a50bda836a0543d5c1ce7e749a480e0.jpg

9d9fc19c10e06820fe9b46b1c23fdfe3.jpg

Took your advice @WhoAmI, and incorporated romaine lettuce, and the other foods were green beans, and okra with very little sausage and shrimp.

For the exercise, I've been running, and something remarkable is happening. I went from nearly passing out with 1 mile, to now I have to run a minimum of 2 miles before I feel anything, and I'm thinking I need to increase that to 3 in about two weeks.

Also, my neighbor told me she needed a partner to hit the gym, so that is music to my ears. I need to build muscle, so I'm wondering how to do that if based on the things I'm working against? I thought it was not good to incorporate a lot of diary products?

Today, I'm cheating and getting Mexican food (rice, re fried beans, and cheese enchilada). Will this hurt me much? I know the cheese is bad, and I only ate green beans, shrimp, and yellow knorrs brocoli rice today.

Also, took your advice @whoamj and ate small partials of a cut up apple, my body seemed to enjoy it.

I intend on running 3 miles tomorrow, and not any more restaurant or crazy food for at least another 2-3 weeks.

Any more insights would be appreciated.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
97e5be1d5f044648b4fdce76f9c78b6d.jpg

The Mexican dinner. I figure I better run 3 miles at least tomorrow and don't try this for awhile?

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Today I ran about 2 miles, and went back to eating healthy.

28ebcca2e2fa0fe931d899e7b703501b.jpg

And I just checked my weight. I lost about 2 pounds this week (now 152.2).

Height: 5'9
Lbs. 152.2

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I see a lot of rice on your plates...white rice has no nutritional value & is high carb. Brown rice is a little better if you must.

There are a lot of carbonated flavored waters out there. My favorite is Spindrift which is lightly flavored with fruit juice with 5 to 15 calories.

nidrah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 11, 2017
Perth, Australia
Diet and exercise are the ways to go. More greens, more healthy fats from fatty fish, avocado, nuts, seeds etc.

Personally, I can really endorse intermittent fasting, something as simple as just having water/black coffee until lunch at 12 noon. It has great health benefits for blood lipids (cholesterol etc) and insulin among heaps other things. Plenty of info around if you want to know more.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
I see a lot of rice on your plates...white rice has no nutritional value & is high carb. Brown rice is a little better if you must.

There are a lot of carbonated flavored waters out there. My favorite is Spindrift which is lightly flavored with fruit juice with 5 to 15 calories.

Just switched to brown rice. On Monday I had no choice but to eat on the go, so I went to Cracker Barrel, and ate a catfish lunch. It completely didn't agree with me, so I'll be eating more at home from now on.

a3df19ef9842fab564f6e6b588267a96.jpg

As for yesterday, I had green beans, greens, a salad, and I grilled my own fish at home.

d32cc3760a0564bc6cc47351661b0812.jpg

Also, did another 2 miles as well, and I think I need to start focusing on building muscle now (have no muscle). My weight is 152.1 since posting and I'm starting to think I should put my chin up bar to use and weight bands?

Took your advice and have a spindrift drink.

Also thinking of incorporating a Hal TMM smoothie in?

7d5c5f589edf00da8440468994d6d5cd.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.