The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Born-To-Run

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Sep 17, 2016
Perth Western Australia
View attachment 13477

This is what pricing a larger job looks like. You want to give a clear breakdown of where your costs are coming from.

For a job less than 4k it might just be a straight price quote but as you go higher you want to provide more detail. This gives the client an idea of what your work involves (and why its priced as such) and what to expect when its finished.

I use the Freshbooks software for this is which quite good and allows clients to pay online. It does lose a few percent on the Stripe payments though before it reaches your bank account.

@Fox just working through the process you provided above, here's my understanding and some questions I have:

Planning/UX Design: This is the draft of the website you design, like a sketch. You may design multiples of these before going forward.

Visual Design: If the company is missing a logo or doesn't have one you get one made up. Visual Design includes the design of the website (color schemes, positioning/layouts etc.)

Programming: self explanatory.

Content: Content creation I understand (writing copy for their website), but why is support and migration under this? Can you give an explanation of these?

Additional Elements: Can you give an explanation of what brochure and extra site features might be? I'm guessing the marketing is the development of a facebook page for their website if they have none (as discussed above) and an adwords campaign if they choose to go ahead with it.

Testing: most of testing is self explanatory. But what of hosting? How are you handling that with your clients? Do you migrate them to a host of your choice then charge a monthly fee?

Wordpress: My understanding was you avoided using wordpress, has that changed now? if so why?

Thanks fox.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What was your process in hiring your sales guy fox?

I look for social guys who have a large network in the niches I target. Trust is more important than formal sales training. I only do commission so they have to sell to get paid.

I don't even really want them to sell really, good warm leads is enough. I'll have to discuss the technical side anyway so the lead is enough. My best sales guy doesn't even know too much about websites but he has a great eye for companies that need help. He finds the problems and Innkae the solutions.

Remember websites are only a tool for more sales so your sale guys should be great at spotting companies who are losing out on potential sales. They don't need to know how to actually technically fix the issue just being able to spot it.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Fox just working through the process you provided above, here's my understanding and some questions I have:

Planning/UX Design: This is the draft of the website you design, like a sketch. You may design multiples of these before going forward.

Visual Design: If the company is missing a logo or doesn't have one you get one made up. Visual Design includes the design of the website (color schemes, positioning/layouts etc.)

Programming: self explanatory.

Content: Content creation I understand (writing copy for their website), but why is support and migration under this? Can you give an explanation of these?

Additional Elements: Can you give an explanation of what brochure and extra site features might be? I'm guessing the marketing is the development of a facebook page for their website if they have none (as discussed above) and an adwords campaign if they choose to go ahead with it.

Testing: most of testing is self explanatory. But what of hosting? How are you handling that with your clients? Do you migrate them to a host of your choice then charge a monthly fee?

Wordpress: My understanding was you avoided using wordpress, has that changed now? if so why?

Thanks fox.

I wasn't too clear on this but this is more for the customer than it is for me. I price on value add and then make up a quote to show where those costs *might* be made up.

I don't really follow that and just build as I see fit for the project. I nearly always stick to budget but sometimes I can change my mind on design features as the project progresses.

Quotes are more for the customers then they are for you. Remember it's about value added not hours worked. Don't start with a quote, I use them more as a receipt/invoice then I do to close. It's basically - here's your invoice and send half so I can start. It's already done at that stage.

By the time an invoice is sent I'm done talking for the most part. Either pay and I'll start working or leave it. I don't recommend using them too early, people will just focus on the costs not the investment. Keep the focus on this being an investment, the breakdown of costs should not be an issue.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
How to grow and scale to $100,000 plus within six months...

Learn all the basics with this thread from me and others

Start on one page websites, doing sales and cold calls yourself

Get a feel for selling and basic websites. See several small jobs through from start to finish

Read up on sales, design basics, sales funnels, landing pages etc. Become knowledge on a range of subjects related to web development

Build a tidy portfolio of nice smaller websites

Start approaching jobs in the 2-5k range. Build several 2-8 page websites with maybe some basic add on features if needed (Wordpress page, application page, booking software etc)

Start to scale

Hire sales guys at 15-25% commission

Hire good copywriters, usually they charge $80-150 a page (depends on experience and also size of content)

Use client refrerels and step up a more aggressive sales strategy

Aim for multiple 5-15k jobs projects

Start building prepackaged custom code that saves time on every project

Hire someone who can do logos, Gil uploading, hosting stuff. Usually grab these guys off fiverr or FB groups

Expand sales team again, hire additional coder, focus more on overall business and management

Can be done starting from zero knowledge in 6-12 months. Depending on a few factors that could be a 100-300k company.

A large job price breakdown with a team would be something like:

15k project (12 pages)

Sales guy $3000
Copywriter $1200
Design Stuff $500
Coder $2000
Hosting and email $300

Costs $7000, Profit $8000

A good team could do two of these a month or smaller projects that add up to the same.

I'm on my phone so if the formatting is weird on this that's the reason. Just some thoughts on what's possible with this.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Remember it's about value added not hours worked. Don't start with a quote, I use them more as a receipt/invoice then I do to close. It's basically - here's your invoice and send half so I can start. It's already done at that stage
I think you/someone already posted this in the thread, but since you sent it to me yesterday I feel I might aswell post it here (again)
https://www.freshbooks.com/assets/other/Breaking-the-Time-Barrier.pdf

A perfect explanation of how to think of your own value for projects like these regardless of the time you spend on it. It's a 1 hour read and a lot of value.

joury

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 26, 2016
Limburg, Netherlands
I have posted this before elsewhere but getting sales is 60-80% of running a web design company. Learn how to do it yourself and you will aways be in work.

I am not against the above service, although $5250 is a decent chunk of change, but start off learn how to sell yourself.

One of my favorite parts of doing this whole thing is the fun of selling sites. I like knowing a few minutes on the phone could be worth 5 figures in income.

I'm not really good at talking, you have any recommended books about cold calling or selling?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm not really good at talking, you have any recommended books about cold calling or selling?

If stuck start with family, friends and businesses you know. Expand from there once you have results.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not meaning to pick on you, just pick up on this.

Bear in mind that you get better at things you do.

Now re-read what you just wrote.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If stuck start with family, friends and businesses you know. Expand from there once you have results.
Great advice for anyone starting, not just for those who are stuck.

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
Note: I know @Fox recommends straight HTML templates - once you know a little about sites, you can decide for yourself which you want to go with and why. I personally prefer WordPress (but only with the right premium themes and tools/plugins). I have the StudioPress "Pro Plus All-Theme Package" (http://my.studiopress.com/pro-plus/) and have started using the Genesis framework with BeaverBuilder (and the Dambuster plugin) as per @codo3500 's recommendation, and you can customize virtually even aspect of a site with almost no code, although this set up makes it very easy to make custom changes using CSS and JS if necessary. Even if you know how to code, I've found this set up to be faster.

Hi,

I'm currently building a website for myself. I'm used to wordpress and am wondering if I don't use wordpress then where do I host the theme? How are websites based on HTML templates alone operated by the user for email, etc?

Also, if I use studiopress/pro-plus to build a great website, can anybody use the website - i.e. could a client use this website if I was building it for somebody else?

Thanks.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Hi,

I'm currently building a website for myself. I'm used to wordpress and am wondering if I don't use wordpress then where do I host the theme? How are websites based on HTML templates alone operated by the user for email, etc?

Also, if I use studiopress/pro-plus to build a great website, can anybody use the website - i.e. could a client use this website if I was building it for somebody else?

Thanks.
its easier than wordpress, no need to set up myphpadmin and database and install. you just put all your files on the server.

kameronja

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jan 8, 2016
Hey @Fox - incredible thread - so much gold in here it's insane. I've just moved to a new city now and I've been trying to figure out exactly what path to go down and I think you have given me an amazing starting point. I've already completed the codeacademy and udemy courses and I'm now prospecting clients. I did a few pro bono jobs for some friends using my previous knowledge of wordpress, but I really wanted to expand that skill set by learning some CSS, HTML and next up JS & PHP. Now I'm going for some paid work. I'm happily on my way thanks to you and all the other amazing contributors on this forum. I spend a whole lot of time here, but generally remain quiet. I'm going to make an effort to speak up and provide as much value as I possibly can.

I've always perceived coding as some abstract science that was too obscure to wrap my head around. When it comes down to it, I've found that it's not easy by any means. However, if you can push yourself through the hard, frustrating bits, the brain has an amazing way of connecting dots and gradually making more and more sense of it all. Inch by inch, I'm making progress. Next step is to close a REAL sale and take some ACTION - diesel and coffee.

Smaller website sold today for $3,500-$4000 (doing up contract soon).

Sold through my sales guy for a popular restaurant. I usually don't go for that side of the market since the margins are smaller for the client but it is someone I have personally meet before (the client). The first email I have gotten about the job is the details needed to put together a quote and start building. Sales guy brought it in on commission so I have yet to even talk to the owner directly about the project. This is the advantage of having sales guys and its nice for him too, over 1k for a few hours work (I think maybe 2).

I will share this project with the guys on the course and run people through the project life of a smaller project.

Oh yeah, and I have a question - a few pages back and throughout the thread you've mentioned contracts - what are the components of these contracts? Is it a legal obligation for deliverable and renumeration? or is it more informal to suss out the details of your work, due dates, etc? Did you create these yourself through online templates or hire/pay for legal services?

Sbshields

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Aug 23, 2016
Hi,

Thanks.

I create wordpress sites and host them on Bluehost. There are many hosting options available. I use Bluehost because I can pick up the phone and call someone when I have questions. Their customer service is pretty good for today's standards. My emails are routed to my gmail/outlook accounts.

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
I create wordpress sites and host them on Bluehost. There are many hosting options available. I use Bluehost because I can pick up the phone and call someone when I have questions. Their customer service is pretty good for today's standards. My emails are routed to my gmail/outlook accounts.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Your method is exactly the same way I do it - WP and BlueHost.

I wasn't certain about how it was done any other way but I think I've cracked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hi,

Thanks.

I am going to put up a video soon showing how to download, set up and instal a theme. Next 1-3 days.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox - incredible thread - so much gold in here it's insane. I've just moved to a new city now and I've been trying to figure out exactly what path to go down and I think you have given me an amazing starting point. I've already completed the codeacademy and udemy courses and I'm now prospecting clients. I did a few pro bono jobs for some friends using my previous knowledge of wordpress, but I really wanted to expand that skill set by learning some CSS, HTML and next up JS & PHP. Now I'm going for some paid work. I'm happily on my way thanks to you and all the other amazing contributors on this forum. I spend a whole lot of time here, but generally remain quiet. I'm going to make an effort to speak up and provide as much value as I possibly can.

I've always perceived coding as some abstract science that was too obscure to wrap my head around. When it comes down to it, I've found that it's not easy by any means. However, if you can push yourself through the hard, frustrating bits, the brain has an amazing way of connecting dots and gradually making more and more sense of it all. Inch by inch, I'm making progress. Next step is to close a REAL sale and take some ACTION - diesel and coffee.

Oh yeah, and I have a question - a few pages back and throughout the thread you've mentioned contracts - what are the components of these contracts? Is it a legal obligation for deliverable and renumeration? or is it more informal to suss out the details of your work, due dates, etc? Did you create these yourself through online templates or hire/pay for legal services?

Welcome. I use Freshbooks to make up contracts but I might stop (they take a few percent that adds up on bigger jobs). I don't worry about the legal side of things, emails etc probably are enough, but I do take 50% up front and 50% when they are happy.

As for due dates and design and just let them know my plan and work to the best of my abilities.

nitop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Dec 21, 2015
Great thread and lot of useful stuff.. what i want to address is the issue that several members here arent good at selling on the phone ( or dont want to ) ..
Either way, i suggest you to use attraction marketing ( selling with education ) .. if u have bought dan kennedy or rich schrefen stuff before , u already know this.. here is how this works ..

1 ) you write a report that teaches your clients and at the same time positions you as an expert .. it solidifies your pre eminent position at least in your prospects eyes..there is a special formula that goes in crafting it , and i can explain if someone is interested..

2) you advertise this free report where your ideal prospects hang out , either via direct mail or online ppc..

3) once ppl raise their hand and requests your freebie , they are given an irresistable offer to get on call with you.. again a certain formula goes here , and i can discuss it based on interest ..

4) those that dont get on the call with you , r invited on a live webinar , where you position yourself as their saviour and overwhelm them with proof .. at the end, they are presented with a webinar special offer ..

5) finally you follow up with your leads on a regular basis with blogs or podcast , so that you stay on top on the leads that dont pick your original offer..
thats it, no chasing , not being salesy, you only talk to leads that fill your online application..

hope this helps..

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Okay got some potentially big news...

I got a sales call on Friday for a smaller job around 3-4k. I am going to offer to do it a little cheaper with one condition - I can record me making the website and stick it on the forums for others to learn from. If it goes ahead I will start a new thread and post a series of videos on how the website is made from concept to fully hosted.

I estimate 10 - 20 hours but I will try plan my work flow to keep it as concise as possible (no browsing Gold threads and eating snacks while I code).

I will update you soon as to if this is going ahead.

strobe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Hey Fox, thanks alot for all of the information you have provided in this thread! Appreciate it, just read through 20 pages! Sounds like you have found your niche in the market and I like that you have found a way that works. I have a niche in mind and will look to launch start of 2017 doing similar since I already know web design and have run my own business before. I actually made a website for it and enjoyed it more than the work in the business at the time haha.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey Fox, thanks a lot for all of the information you have provided in this thread! Appreciate it, just read through 20 pages! Sounds like you have found your niche in the market and I like that you have found a way that works. I have a niche in mind and will look to launch start of 2017 doing similar since I already know web design and have run my own business before. I actually made a website for it and enjoyed it more than the work in the business at the time haha.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any specific questions in the future.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Going to meet with a client on Monday, medical device sales website he needs. Also just got 3 clients in a certain sports niche. Think I'm going to go all out and start a web development agency. These are just 4 new clients I've gotten in the past 48 hours. Coming from a sales background helps, as well as knowing programming languages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
Thank you for the information and I've been considering coding for a while now.

What do you think about coding websites with Python? Out of the programming languages this one interests me the most, but I'm not as familiar with how well it does vs. html with websites.

Born-To-Run

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Sep 17, 2016
Perth Western Australia
Okay got some potentially big news...

I got a sales call on Friday for a smaller job around 3-4k. I am going to offer to do it a little cheaper with one condition - I can record me making the website and stick it on the forums for others to learn from. If it goes ahead I will start a new thread and post a series of videos on how the website is made from concept to fully hosted.

I estimate 10 - 20 hours but I will try plan my work flow to keep it as concise as possible (no browsing Gold threads and eating snacks while I code).

I will update you soon as to if this is going ahead.

Mate your the best. Really appreciate you starting this thread and stay active helping everyone out. Rep transferred.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thank you for the information and I've been considering coding for a while now.

What do you think about coding websites with Python? Out of the programming languages this one interests me the most, but I'm not as familiar with how well it does vs. html with websites.

If that whats work for you then great. I know its used to power some bigger websites like YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest but not much else.

I use HTML and CSS cause its pretty much foolproof and perfectly suited for simple static websites.

As with all these coding languages - if you already know how to use that code or you really want to learn it anyway then go for it. If you don't and think its necessary to make money its not. These are all just different tools to get a result. The client doesn't care what it is coded with, they care about results.

So in short go with whatever is good for you as long as you can satisfy the clients needs.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I am getting people messaging about the FB group so Ill link it one more time...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/foxswebdesign/

Its all in my bio too. I haven't done too much on there yet but I am going to grow it a lot over the next few months.

Also closed a website this week for $5,600 that someone on here got me the lead for (they write copy for them). At 20% commission that is $1,120 for them for just putting two people in touch with each other. Not huge money but a tidy sum for an hours work. If you have sales skills then try link up with guys on this thread and work together, its completely win-win.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
One hour video done on buying, downloading, installing and setting up a HTML theme!

I just need to figure out how to get this thing on YouTube and then Ill link it up here.

stormjb1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 29, 2013
London, England
Maybe your true fastlane can be web development teaching products that satisfy CENTS?

Funny how you providing value for free here and meeting needs (guiding noobs like me) may have opened a new avenue for you @Fox

Last edited by a moderator:

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
I am getting people messaging about the FB group so Ill link it one more time...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/foxswebdesign/

Its all in my bio too. I haven't done too much on there yet but I am going to grow it a lot over the next few months.

Also closed a website this week for $5,600 that someone on here got me the lead for (they write copy for them). At 20% commission that is $1,120 for them for just putting two people in touch with each other. Not huge money but a tidy sum for an hours work. If you have sales skills then try link up with guys on this thread and work together, its completely win-win.
When a sales guy gets a you lead, where do you expect him to hand it off to you? Do they need to sign a contract and then you take over or is it more like if they are warm enough, they get transferred to the "manager" and you close it. And if it closes, they get paid I'm guessing?

I'm torn between doing sales only as its my strength or getting both up and running, time is lacking at the moment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.