The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
@Fox

Do you have a website yourself, or have you simply pointed to past clients work when you contact prospects?

I have done similar (building B2B websites) under a revenue sharing arrangement. I created the site for free, as I wanted to partner with the business.

Have you considered this for your high-ticket clients?

I have noticed a few other people having success with Web design and agency based business, aswell as MJ mentioning that how he started off.

It's inspiring me to start a web design & marketing agency, targeted to my industry. I already have a very good eye for design and skills in Wordpress etc and can do the web design myself.

Do you offer only web design, or do you also try pitching marketing services? I think I know enough about marketing to try and sell it and outsource to a team, if I can get the contract (i'm not a big fan of writing myself etc).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
The business might not be Fastlane

Couldn't growing a XYZ industry focussed web design agency be fastlane? Why not?

You might be building the sites and finding clients at the beginning, but if you grow to have staff and systems in place (others doing web design, sales prospecting etc)

I think it can satisfy N>E>C>S>T

Need - business needs a more professional website
Entry - Web design skills and your specific industry knowledge, your portfolio of past clients
Control - You own the agency
Scale - There isn't really a limit to how much you could charge or how many sites you could build IMO
Time - OK, i get that it could be quite busy, but couldn't you outsource some of the work like the actual web design or sales.

Say I'm selling sites for Aerospace companies (or whatever) and I can get paid $25k for a site. Wouldn't I be running a fastlane business if my company was getting a few clients a month, and even sell the company at some point?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Fox

Do you have a website yourself, or have you simply pointed to past clients work when you contact prospects?

I have done similar (building B2B websites) under a revenue sharing arrangement. I created the site for free, as I wanted to partner with the business.

I have noticed a few other people having success with Web design and agency based business, aswell as MJ mentioning that how he started off.

It's inspiring me to start a web design & marketing agency, targeted to my industry. I already have a very good eye for design and skills in Wordpress etc and can do the web design myself.

Do you offer only web design, or do you also try pitching marketing services? I think I know enough about marketing to try and sell it and outsource to a team, if I can get the contract (i'm not a big fan of writing myself etc).
I do the PPC for businesses, and that has already crept into doing the landing pages, and getting asked to do Wordpress website support.

I could easily add website development, content marketing, social media marketing, ROI reporting, etc to the services I provide.

For me, having a small agency allows me to learn a vertical, from a subject-matter-expert in the vertical, using their budget, all while getting paid for it.

Yes, it could be made Fastlane (an excellent book on building and selling a business that happens to use a marketing agency as the example is "Built to Sell").

I personally have a different vision, and it happens to be more in line with what MJ did. I too am pleasantly surprised that MJ got started down the agency style route.

To me, it's all about who's assets you're building.

I'll drop the video in here later, in the meantime Google for "#AndyTalks 013 the big vision".

EDIT: Here's the video I did on 07-Mar-16:

Last edited:

SuperDuper

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 13, 2016
Thanks @Fox , Loads of valuable information in this thread. I've started learning HTML/CSS about a month ago. I have two questions.
1) When you redo someone's page do they lose their original SEO ranking? If so, does that mean I would have to learn SEO as well? (I'm not too familiar with SEO)
2) Do you ever get dissatisfied clients because their sales have not increased? If so, how do you deal with that?

Thanks again!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Fox

I did it only once when I was starting off. 5% of all bookings made through the website. The weekly income was in the low hundreds and the company was calling me every few days for meeting and "brainstorming" sessions. I left after a month and gave them the website for free, my share at that stage was only just over $100 but I just wanted to walk free.

Maybe down the line with higher ticket items but I would rather have the control of my own products and website (see @biophase e-commerce threads).

I do everything but mostly end of doing just copy and web design. For most of the businesses I deal with that is enough / all thats wanted.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks @Fox , Loads of valuable information in this thread. I've started learning HTML/CSS about a month ago. I have two questions.
1) When you redo someone's page do they lose their original SEO ranking? If so, does that mean I would have to learn SEO as well? (I'm not too familiar with SEO)
2) Do you ever get dissatisfied clients because their sales have not increased? If so, how do you deal with that?

Thanks again!

1) No. Since the website is better, the basics of SEO are done right and the content is better it usually goes up noticeably. I don't super SEO my sites, I just make them easier and nicer to use. No Blackhat stuff.

2) Every customer I have dealt with has been more than satisfied. I am still under charging by around 1/2 I think. I aim for very reasonable goals that are usually passed by several times. This is the benefit of dealing with large clients. The oil company's first sale from the website was worth over 1 million - if it never got another sale they would still be happy. Try find bigger clients with terrible websites.

A

Anon1351z

I just got off the phone with a sales rep from Prospect Hunter. I was referred to them when I called SalesStaff, the largest b2b sales appointment setting service in the country.

To scale this thing, you need to outsource the sales calls, whether you hire an independent sales or another company such as Prospect Hunter.

In short, their price point is a flat $5250 / month and this will likely result in an estimated 20-30 highly qualified leads / month.

In my opinion, anyone using these services is using “scale” as a cop-out so they don’t have to do the work necessary to set up a proper sales funnel.

A couple points:
  • You’re achieving “scale” while giving up control. Now your revenue is dependent on another company.
  • Sure you get bi-weekly consultations or whatever, but the reality is that someone is on the phone representing your company and you don’t know what they are actually saying. Depending on the service, you might not even know who the person representing you is…that’s scary to me.
  • Your direct feedback loop sucks. When you outsource lead gen and end up on calls wondering how the hell that was considered a qualified lead, it’s just part of the game.
  • A good SDR makes less than $5,250 per month and should be able to drive higher quality and a higher volume of leads.
I’ve worked with several SaaS companies that have tried going the outsourced sales route and I haven’t seen it work, regardless of the size of company…. trying to outsource the life-blood of your company just doesn’t make sense to me.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Can you say how much have you billed in total in the 9 months since you started (if you don't mind me asking).

Just to show the potential that following this model can earn in a short time, if your are willing to execute on a simple idea.

I think this is something a lot of us here could do already starting today, from any location, and it doesn't mean you need to reinvent the wheel.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Can you say how much have you billed in total in the 9 months since you started (if you don't mind me asking).

Just to show the potential that following this model can earn in a short time, if your are willing to execute on a simple idea.

I think this is something a lot of us here could do already starting today, from any location, and it doesn't mean you need to reinvent the wheel.
I think getting to $15k monthly revenue in 9 months from scratch is good enough to know.

There's enough in this thread to show how much value can be offered to businesses.

There are sooo many businesses out there that have shockingly bad websites, and shockingly bad paid search campaigns. Many of those businesses are BIG too.

All you have to do now is decide whether you want to do it or not.

Remember:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Andy nailed it. I will say I made less than $1000 total my first four months since I started with zero knowledge or help.

I am finishing a job worth 3k today and another worth over 12k this week. I do take weeks off though to work on other things and usually don't work full days since I have University all morning.

I think after three months of following the advice on here, along with lots of hard work, you could make at least 5k a month profit. There is no one answer, some guy could kill it and do double my numbers in a few months, another guy might never get it.

If you have a good feel for sales, design and adding value I think it would be well suited.

I would say something like this:

- Weeks 0 - 6, just learn code, design and the basics
- Weeks 6 - 10, do two free designs
- Weeks 10 - 5, do 5 basic one week jobs on upwork for pennies (good luck making more than $300 a job)
- Weeks 15+, Start selling properly to real companies. At least two $2500 Jobs a month.
- Weeks 25-30+, Jump up to larger 5-15k jobs

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy you should try get on a podcast with these guys. I have listened to a few in the past, they are great. Thanks.
Ack. I'd rather chat with and help people in this forum than get on some established podcast somewhere else.

I'm sure I could help their audience too, but it boils down to that Mother Teresa quote in my signature - "Help the people closest to you".

Maybe I end up with a podcast, maybe I don't. I'm just following my nose at the minute and doing what I can't NOT do.

Also, podcasting etc raises MY profile, and can distract me from building a business that can run without me.

Anyway, I'm doing a slight disservice to people interested enough in this thread to get to this point.

Don't just listen to the podcast I mentioned above.

Listen to these three podcasts in this order:
  1. www.tropicalmba.com/consulting
  2. www.tropicalmba.com/services
  3. www.tropicalmba.com/scale

Pay attention to the sliding scale from intern to employee to freelancer and beyond.

Pay attention to the value in niching down and becoming known as "The XYZ Guy".

Then listen to (one way) how a business scaled up once they found their focus.

These three podcasts should open your mind to what you can do, and why it should work.

Then work out your own "how" and blaze your own path.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
In my opinion, anyone using these services is using “scale” as a cop-out so they don’t have to do the work necessary to set up a proper sales funnel.

A couple points:
  • You’re achieving “scale” while giving up control. Now your revenue is dependent on another company.
  • Sure you get bi-weekly consultations or whatever, but the reality is that someone is on the phone representing your company and you don’t know what they are actually saying. Depending on the service, you might not even know who the person representing you is…that’s scary to me.
  • Your direct feedback loop sucks. When you outsource lead gen and end up on calls wondering how the hell that was considered a qualified lead, it’s just part of the game.
  • A good SDR makes less than $5,250 per month and should be able to drive higher quality and a higher volume of leads.
I’ve worked with several SaaS companies that have tried going the outsourced sales route and I haven’t seen it work, regardless of the size of company…. trying to outsource the life-blood of your company just doesn’t make sense to me.
I agree with this - based on a sample size of one (me!).

Speaking to people allows me to find out better what their actual problems are, and what solutions they most want (not need necessarily).

I always figure there's two things you can't outsource: passion and insight.

Once I've nailed what I'm selling and how to sell it, then I'll delegate it.

Just not when I'm still trying to find the starving crowd and what offer they will bite my hand off for.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just did an hour Skype with someone just getting started. Really nice to pass on all the info that will save the weeks/months I spent figuring it out for myself.

If @MJ DeMarco can make it happen I would like to do an INSIDERS call for this. Its not mega millions but I think 1-2 hours will be enough to get anyone interested started towards a 5-10k monthly income after a few months.

If people are interested in something like this let me know. I have gotten a lot of PMs and while I try my best its not going to be possible to Skype everyone for an hour.

gabeb1920

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 1, 2016
Wollongong, Australia
Just did an hour Skype with someone just getting started. Really nice to pass on all the info that will save the weeks/months I spent figuring it out for myself.

If @MJ DeMarco can make it happen I would like to do an INSIDERS call for this. Its not mega millions but I think 1-2 hours will be enough to get anyone interested started towards a 5-10k monthly income after a few months.

If people are interested in something like this let me know. I have gotten a lot of PMs and while I try my best its not going to be possible to Skype everyone for an hour.

Definitely interested! :)

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Question 1) Why did you learn to code when theme builders like Wordpress, Squarespace, Wix, and Shopify are all available?

Question 2) Do you recommend programs like Cardone University to learn cold calling/sales/prospecting?

Question 3) What's your call to action on cold emails? Do you ask them to call you or schedule an appointment, etc?

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Question 1) Why did you learn to code when theme builders like Wordpress, Squarespace, Wix, and Shopify are all available?

Question 2) Do you recommend programs like Cardone University to learn cold calling/sales/prospecting?

Question 3) What's your call to action on cold emails? Do you ask them to call you or schedule an appointment, etc?

1) I just like HTML and find it easy buy powerful. I tried getting into Wordpress but never did. The others are not really suitable for the types of jobs I do.
Most of my clients want static websites with just content. They don't need/want to manage it themselves.

2) I listening to his 10X Book a few times but I don't think you need to pay ($999?) for that course. If you find websites that are bad enough and you ahve a decent portfolio its not too hard to sell. 1/2 up front, 1/2 when you finish.

3) When I go the email first route I just tell them I will be calling soon to discuss it. I don't want them to do anything expect read the email and click on my links to past jobs. I am aggressive but only when I have found the right clients.

This is going to probably surprise people but I have made less than 30 cold calls in the last 6 months. When you do good work and have a solid portfolio its not too hard to find more jobs. Usually you will get very solid leads that you can follow up on as you finish each site.

I got two solid leads right now that will probably lead to one job, both from the current site I am doing. If neither work out I am sure I can call some law firms and get work within 10 calls. I have two great past law websites to use and have seen a lot of poor websites in that niche recently.

Bugatti

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Aug 17, 2013
San Francisco, CA
If the clients want a simple static website with only their content on it and don't want to manage it, wouldn't it make sense to use a site like Squarespace, for example, where you don't need technical expertise yet can produce a fine website? I have experience with Squarespace and am confident that I can give them a good result. I can set up a website for them through that platform and boom = PROFIT?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
If the clients want a simple static website with only their content on it and don't want to manage it, wouldn't it make sense to use a site like Squarespace, for example, where you don't need technical expertise yet can produce a fine website? I have experience with Squarespace and am confident that I can give them a good result. I can set up a website for them through that platform and boom = PROFIT?

Sure, i mean you could try. I don't have experience with any web building programs so I don't quite know how good the end result is. You definitely want your company name down the bottom though and not some website building program "made by WIX".

This is a great example of a simple but very effective website...

http://www.vancouvervisas.com/ (not mine)

This is what I aim for with my own projects. Good clear content, strong calls to action, lots of social proof, right design for that company.

When you can build sites like this you will have no shortage of work.

Bugatti

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Aug 17, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Sure, i mean you could try. I don't have experience with any web building programs so I don't quite know how good the end result is. You definitely want your company name down the bottom though and not some website building program "made by WIX".

This is what I aim for with my own projects. Good clear content, strong calls to action, lots of social proof, right design for that company.

Yep. I can change the footer to the company name instead of "Made by Squarespace." It's also definitely possible to make a site like the one you posted through that platform -- although I'm not familiar with that layout yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/2bbncp/if_i_build_a_website_through_a_company_like/
http://specialists.squarespace.com/?filters=setup&filters=setup&filters=setup
http://jasonbarone.com/
http://addpbj.com/service-pricing/ (Check out their pricing model.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/341ppk/squarespace_as_a_platform_for_freelance_web/ (Possible payment/handling scenarios)
http://www.elleandcompanydesign.com/blog/squarespace-process (Client design process)

Some of these designers call themselves "implementation experts." LMAO.

Perhaps this strategy is a good option if your client base consists of businesses who want a simple, efficient, but amazing site. Most likely the business owners won't have web expertise and don't have the willingness to seek out solutions for themselves.

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 10, 2014

I could have been in the market for their services a few years ago (but managed to figure it out myself) and that website is fantastic. It makes them look extremely credible.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Yep. I can change the footer to the company name instead of "Made by Squarespace." It's also definitely possible to make a site like the one you posted through that platform -- although I'm not familiar with that layout yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/2bbncp/if_i_build_a_website_through_a_company_like/
http://specialists.squarespace.com/?filters=setup&filters=setup&filters=setup
http://jasonbarone.com/
http://addpbj.com/service-pricing/ (Check out their pricing model.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/341ppk/squarespace_as_a_platform_for_freelance_web/ (Possible payment/handling scenarios)
http://www.elleandcompanydesign.com/blog/squarespace-process (Client design process)

Some of these designers call themselves "implementation experts." LMAO.

Perhaps this strategy is a good option if your client base consists of businesses who want a simple, efficient, but amazing site. Most likely the business owners won't have web expertise and don't have the willingness to seek out solutions for themselves.

Looks messy.

I build for my customers on their hosting with their design. I like having fully control of everything and people pay for that security. I like to Fastlane my clients business. What that means is build a website that helps with:

Need: Actually helps the business and does what they need it too. No bells and whistles. Focus goes on what will get results.

Entry: Unique content, style and as much as possible layout. try be a step above the industry standard.

Scale: easy design to add in extra pages/content/information later. They could go hire a cheaper guy afterwards too if they just want small stuff done. I give them that option but they come back to me anyway.

Control: Built on their hosting and easy for them to access and change afterwards. If they never want to talk to me again they don't have to. No "my web guy is the only person with access to that". I tell them that upfront too.

Time: They don't have to manage or worry about it once its set up. Also I set up systems to save them as much time as possible - email systems, contact forms, phone systems, scheduling software etc.

*I know that is not exactly how the Commandments work, just an edited version i use for web design.

Building on some web platform doesn't sound like it helps them control their own website and expand on it in the future. That might not matter for a $500 client but when you want to sell a $50k website they don't want to find out you built it on WIX or whatnot.

What you are saying will work for a while but its not a great way to start.
What about when they need some custom Javascript or PHP? - Will you even be able to add that in???

You are going to limit your ceiling in the future.
Not for me.

Last edited:

Bugatti

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Aug 17, 2013
San Francisco, CA
For your N-E-S-C-T standards, I believe that they can all be achieved with Squarespace, including client control over their own site. I've mentioned this already, but this strategy might be good if you want to target small businesses and professionals. Dentists and other professionals don't need custom Javascript on their page -- they just want a simple but beautiful professional site to sell their services to the public.

With this, I can probably go high volume and charge in the hundreds (at least in the beginning), because it is an easier job. So I can probably make some money while I learn how to really code to get the five figure projects.

Anyway, man. I don't mean to hijack the thread. I'm going to start my own to see if this idea works. I am very appreciative of the inspiration you gave me. ;)

EDIT:
No one's saying about limiting one's ceiling in the future -- that's just your assumption. Why stop yourself from making money already doing this (assuming this works) while you learn how to code? It's best to be open-minded and taking what you can get right now with what you can do.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014

Would love to see this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.