• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

How to Get Up at 5 AM every day ?

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by alan3wilson, Jun 26, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. mike24601

mike24601 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,924
    I've always enjoyed being up in the middle of the night when I had to do some work. Long, long ago, before electric lighting, people operated on a much different sleep schedule. They would generally awaken with the sunrise and go to bed when the sun went down, but somewhere in between, they'd get up again. Some people would make love, others would visit with neighbors or just sit in bed and talk. Some people would write and do lots of thinking during this time, because they felt it gave them the most clarity. After a time, they would go back to bed, and they called that period their second sleep.

Scientifically, this is called Biphasic or Polyphasic sleep, and it hasn't been in vogue for over 150 years, but there's something to be said about doing your work when everyone else is asleep. No noise outside, no traffic..all the tension of the day has been washed away. Just intense focus.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    NFT, Locomote, Sean Kaye and 2 others like this.
  2. Philip Marlowe

Philip Marlowe Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $457
    Avoid a total blackout in your room. If you sleep in a crypt it can be hard to get motivated.

I get up at 4:30AM every morning and my ritual is an early bed time, no food after 7PM, and my phone (with is my alarm clock) goes across the room so I need to get out of my warm bed to turn it off. From there I just KEEP MOVING. Do not lay back down.

Mentally, I also "justify" waking-up early by telling myself that I just got 7.5 hours of sleep and don't need any more than that.

Oh, and coffee.

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $213,863
    Admin Post
    Featured+

That's an awesome video and very motivating as well. However it kinda pisses me off underneath my knee-jerking of its awesomeness.

Why?

It presumes that our obstacles to greatness lie within our head. And that if we can overcome those obstacles, we can DO anything! Run marathons! Powerlift! Dunk basketballs!

I can only speak for myself, but my problem has never been commitment or mental obstacles -- it's always PHYSICAL. In other words, my mental desire often outweighs my physical capacity.

After 3 orthopedic surgeries and some other serious degenerative issues, my progress doesn't stop because I'm a mental wimp, it stops because my body simply breaks down and says "f*ck you -- try pressing that with 2 blown shoulders." And no motivational video can fix it.

Just the other day I was griping about how I know I have the mental aptitude to accomplish ANYTHING, just so as long my body complies. For example, I've been learning piano and my head says I can become proficient at it, even maestro-like, but my body says "f*ck you" -- I can only sit and practice for 15 minutes before the pain starts.

In fact, I'd say my mental stubbornness (never give up! don't give in! blah blah blah!) is why I have the physical ailments I now deal with daily.

4. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $103,127
    You just need a reason to wake up. Why was it so easy to wake up at 6am xmas morning? Why is it hard to wake up to go to work? But easy when you have a fun day planned?

It's really all in your head. Yes sometimes you just really tired but most of the time it is because you don't want to do what you need to wake up for.

Early this year I had a foster dog that would only pee or poo in this one spot which was 200 feet from my home in Colorado. So every night for a week around 3am I'd walk her out into the cold 200 ft and let her pee.

As I stood there in the night getting snowed on I wondered why I wasn't upset or cold or how I woke up easily to do this. It was easy, it was something that had to get done. If I didn't do it, I'd have to clean up a mess that would have taken much longer. The benefit outweighed the consequence by far.

daivey, Dark Water, daru and 9 others like this.
  5. CareCPA

CareCPA Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,292
    Awesome point.
    I wake up early because I have a job that still believes in working during normal business hours. When I can disconnect my productivity and my earnings from the time of day, I won't be as motivated to wake up early - I'll sleep when my body tells me it's time.

blackbrich likes this.
  6. Evil_Jester

Evil_Jester Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,559
    Pay me $5 a day and I'll call you and wake you up :zzz:

Marco Cuevas, SquatchMan and ZF Lee like this.
  7. Harbourmaster

Harbourmaster Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $317
    I am going to share a story from personal experience...

What qualifies me to share this story is the fact that I have successfully quit one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Almost two years ago, I made the decision to quit smoking cigarettes. After spending the better part of a decade polluting my lungs with a pack a day, I quit cold turkey. I was going to be turning 30 and smoking no longer fit with what I wanted from life. What was the trick to not touching a single cigarette for two years? Simple... not putting a cigarette in my mouth, one day at a time. Was the first day shitty? Of course. Was the first week shitty? Awful. First three months? Wait, it's been three months already?! My point is this... if you want to make a lasting change, just make the fucking change already. I can't tell you how many friends I've seen quit for an hour, a day, a week and then go back to smoking. It's like pulling a bandaid off in the slowest possible way and then sticking it back on to do it again.

Now substitute quitting smoking for waking up early. Set your alarm and get out of the damn bed at 5am when the alarm goes off. If this is important to you, then just get up. No complaining. Do it for three weeks no matter what. You will be tired the first couple days, but after a couple weeks it will become the new normal.

I think we tend to overcomplicate how to make these changes. Like Nike says, JUST DO IT!

PS. I also get up at 5am to workout. It's the only time of day I can squeeze it in. No time at lunch and I like the evenings to work on Fastlane projects.

8. Philip Marlowe

Philip Marlowe Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $457
    Getting-up at 5AM is his example, but his real question is about discipline. To your point, getting your work done (no matter the time of day) should be your discipline. That said, if you're looking for a willpower exercise than yes, maybe seeing if you can wake-up at 5AM every week day for a month isn't a bad test.

Implement the tips you've gotten here and see what works.

Once you've proven you can establish a habit, reassess. Maybe a 5AM isn't the best thing for you. Perhaps examine it backwards - when do you do your best work?

Frankly, if you've got something worth waking-up for it won't be that hard. Maybe that's what's missing?

9. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $66,907
    To wake up at 5 is to set the alarm 2 hours later. That is sleeping in for me...

I feel more alive when the day starts earlier. Ideally, a short nap could be taken during the day.

Dark Water likes this.
  10. RBefort

RBefort Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $672
    So much win in this post and fits what I'd say perfectly. My wife sets a 5am alarm to be to work by 7 and gets wide awake that early. I drag ass, but can stay up until the weeee hours of the morning working hard on something...and be fine with getting up for 10am just before lunch. Do I like being up before the sun? Sure...but you don't have to. As others said, the "why" is the reason to do anything....it's the "why" that gets me up early, but also keeps me up late. Unfortunately, I haven't found something for that "why" yet...so I hate both going to bed and getting up lololol

11. minivanman

minivanman Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,312
    I'm with eliquid! Back when I had a large cleaning company my girls started showing up around 8am and I would get up at 7:30-7:45am so I could be up before they arrived. We had a large house and worked out of a shop there. Now in the appliance business I make 50% of my sales around midnight. Last night I stayed up until 2:15am selling, woke up at 8am, went back to bed about 11am and woke back up about 1:45pm. Did a little work, messed around, did a little more work, went to eat at the Waffle House (I love our local Waffle House plus I was on my own for supper tonight) and now I'm here. I'll start selling washers and dryers in just a few minutes and stay up until 2-3am again.

Now the question is.... could I make that same 50% of sales if I woke up at 5am? Now let's be clear... I will never find out but I can tell you this, between 7:30am-11am I can't hardly sell anything so I doubt it. Maybe some time I'll stay up all night just to see if I can sell between 5am-8am.

ZF Lee likes this.
  12. Argue

Argue Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,338
    Why wake up at 5 AM when you can wake up at 4 PM and watch politics/make your To-do list for the next day? :rofl:;)

(Don't forget to grade your progress) :playful:

Besides that lol, I'm with @eliquid.

I dislike these kinda threads - no offense - because everyone talks about what works for THEM. Like, we're all different mentally, physically, and have different environments.

Re-read @eliquid post for the cold hard facts.

Just get your 7 and you're good.

24 - 7 = 17 hours of time. Use it wisely?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    daru, Longinus, SquatchMan and 4 others like this.
  13. Roli

Roli Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,794
    I have advised quite a few friends on how to do this; and for the ones that wanted it to work, it has worked.

You haven't stated your current wake up time, so I'm going to assume, and then go from there...

It is quite simply a matter of using incremental change, as the brain does not notice change on a small scale. Hence the reason, we're always surprised that our friends kids have grown; even though that's what kids are meant to do.

[SPOILER ALERT]
    By the way, it is also how David Copperfield made the Statue Of Liberty disappear, he put the audience and cameras on an incredibly slowly rotating platform. Because we do not perceive incremental change, it felt like magic.

OK, so let's assume you wake up at 7:30 am, or in fact let's assume your alarm goes at 7:30 am, and you use two, 5 minute snoozes. So you get out of bed at 7:40.

Day 1 - Set alarm for 7:26 and use only ONE snooze - This doesn't seem massive, but it is; getting rid of that automatic snooze will be the toughest thing about this whole exercise, however you need to. As it is just that, an auto response, that your brain thinks you need.

Day 2 - Set alarm for 7:22- ONE snooze - try and get out of bed before snooze goes off.

Day 3 - Set alarm for 7:18 - ONE snooze - try and get out of bed before snooze goes off.

Day 4 - Set alarm for 7:14- - ONE snooze - try and get out of bed before snooze goes off.

Day 5 - Set alarm for 7:10 - ONE snooze - try and get out of bed before snooze goes off. Tell yourself today is the last day you will use snooze

Day 6- Set alarm for 7:06 - Get straight out of bed, and notice how awake you feel, SMILE, STRETCH - Those two actions will set of a hormonal reaction in your body that will make you feel GOOD, those feelings will be forever associated with getting up early.

I obviously don't need to write out the next 24 days; however you will do this for 30 days; in fact it will be a little longer, because you will give yourself Sundays off.

4 x 30 is 150 = (7:30 am - 150 mins) = 5:00 am

Tips: before you go to bed, visualise how great you will feel waking up early, what a sense of achievement you will acquire. The idea is to attach as many positive feelings, to waking up early as you can muster.

Soon, it won't feel like a challenge, simply a routine.

I don't know you, so don't know how much sleep you can survive on; however I wouldn't recommend less than six. So as well as adjusting your wake up time, you may have to adjust your bedtime. Make sure it's no later than 11.

If you wake up at 7, you can take a whole two minutes off that incremental change.

After 2 weeks, you will feel amazing, stick at it.

Good luck.

Ika likes this.
  14. Locomote

Locomote Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,362
    Sleep on the floor... no one ever sleeps in when sleeping on the floor :(

ZF Lee and minivanman like this.
  15. Koen_88

Koen_88 Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $63
    The only way I can get up early is when I have a strong motivation:
    1: When I leave early to go on vacation ;-)
    2: when I have something that has to be done on time @ work (luckily this is only seldom)
    2: and 1 or 2 times a week I get up @ 5:30 to workout from 6 to 7 at my trainer's gym this gives my day a jumpstart and leaves time to spend on something useful in the evening.

jasoncuellar123 likes this.
  16. Delmania

Delmania Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,976
    To cut through all the nonsense, the simplest way to do this is set your alarm for 5 am, and then make a commitment that as soon as you hear it, you will immediately get up and start moving. To be an arrogant asshole, I wake up at 4:30 on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays to go workout. As a result on Tuesday and Thursday, I wake up at 4:30 as well; I just don't get up, so I eventually fall back asleep. The weekends I have a different mindset, so I don't wake up as early.

You don't change your bedtime at first. If you're used to going to sleep at 11 pm, you still continue to do so. What happens is that once you've grown accustomed to the habit of waking up at 5 am, you will automatically adjust your bedtime and start to feel sleepy earlier. Adults need between 7 to 9 hours of restful sleep to be happy, healthy, and productive. Don't be swayed by people who claim they can get by on 5 to 6 hours, you need to pay attention to your physical needs. If you need 9 hours of sleep, get 9 hours of sleep.

17. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $28,383
    Work for yourself. Wake up whenever you want.

I go to sleep at 2 to 3am. Wake up at 11am.

I enjoy working at night more than working in the morning. Only reason to wake up early is to accommodate clients or if it works better for you. It doesn't for me.

masaldana2, Empires and minivanman like this.
  18. Marco Cuevas

Marco Cuevas Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $135
    I have a baby... that's a sure way to be up early! Sometimes even as early as 4 or 3 am... And a baby is perfect motivation to always keep going.

Invictus and Everyman like this.
  19. Carnage

Carnage Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,032
    A light alarm worked wonders for me when i used to wake up early. Used a phillips light alarm, shyt was bright as hell.

Dont use it anymore now that I wake up at 9...

Koen_88 likes this.
  20. Jamaal

Jamaal New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $78
    If you're interested in waking up at 5am, have a read on the Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod...

He'll explain to you the mental steps to take to make waking up at 5am seem like a breeze.

Marco Cuevas likes this.
  21. Rammsteinfanboy

Rammsteinfanboy New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $91
    I recently trained myself to wake up at 5. I have a buddy, I give him 5 Euro for each day I don`t send him my todolist for the day before 6. Its hard, you will fail a lot, because it takes a while to train the body to wake up unconsciously because you cannot wake up in time on purpose. You will fail a lot, but you simply must not give up, until its a habit. It definetly takes a while, but the body eventually

That`s the hardcore approach short but efficient. Or you do a lot of preparation, such as fixing your go to bed time, starting with less early such as 5:45 etc. But that takes lots of time. Grind yourself for a limited period of time and then you have that habit permanently in your system.

22. Luke Phillips

Luke Phillips New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $52
    I actually used to do this every day until I started working nights.

A really great way to keep motivated, (besides buying an alarm clock):
    • Buy a calander
    • Post on a wall in your bedroom
    • Mark each day that you wake up early, (this is important, it will keep your mind on what you're doing) try to get as many consecutive days as you can.
    Generally it takes 21 days for our brains to develop a habit, although it doesn't get easier, you do become more dissaplined.

But none of these tips are going to work unless you do, knowing your "why" for doing anything is always going to be your greatest motivator.

But try it out! Let me know how you go.

23. Christopher777

Christopher777 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,486
    I guess what's more important is beginning the day with the right headspace. If you wake up early but it doesn't make you effective, then it's useless. Waking up early has this good effect though. And doing a jam session that early puts you into the minority that gets things done before most people wake up.

But how are you gonna do that jam session if you're not in the right frame of mind? You won't. You'll end up procrastinating.