The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to develop your PLAN

Jcapuano

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 11, 2011
Smithfield, RI
Forgive me I know it's long winded

Alright so it took me a few hours but I read all 18 pages and did the steps assigned to get my plan started. I have always kept track of my money so I used some figures that I knew, and I started an excel sheet with purchases that I am going to make. But since I am in college I haven't really had any expenses except $20 for pizza a week ago, and $50 for gas last Sunday when I went to visit my girlfriends mom in another state. So here is what I came up with

Pt. I written 12/14/11

A. Core Values/What Is Important To Me

I value time
Power
Control
Confidence
Freedom
Respect
Knowledge/Learning
Spontaneity
Thinking
Independence/Self-reliance
Nature
Humor
Dreams
Being fit
Finding happiness
Integrity, honesty, accountability, loyalty
Financial security
Living security/privacy
Providing for my future family (in every aspect)
Thrill seeking/Risk taking/Adrenaline
Adventures

This was supposed to be a table(it was on word doc), forgive the formatting

Time 0:00
Power +
Control Control
Confidence C
Freedom F
Respect R
Knowledge K
Spontaneity S
Thinking T
Independence 1
Nature N
Humor Haha
Dreams D
Health H
Happiness :)
Integrity I
Financial Security$
Living Security L
Providing P
Adrenaline A
Adventures Quest

B. Wanted But Thrill Was Gone

This is a challenging category because I only buy things that I want and I learned from a very early age what I want and how to get it. If I wanted anything I had to work for it which made me frugal in some senses, but I do spend money on items that I feel have purpose (IE: Ipod Nano – something small and portable with a touchscreen for easy use while I work out). To other people the items I have might seem like a waste but in my mind there is a reason (IE: Having multiple water bottles or TVs – Having a TV in both my college dorm room and my house makes it convenient when I travel back and forth, just like having multiple water bottles and shakers makes it convenient for me to have a pre-workout shake, intra-shake, and post shake). Most of the large items that I purchase I shop around for and get at great deals so that helps. I will say that recently the one purchase I made and no longer want is my 2007 Dodge Charger R/T ($17,200). AWD, V8 Hemi, I put a custom exhaust on it ($1,200), halo headlights ($299), custom paintjob ($2,000), Diablosport predator tuner ($400), the list goes on. I spent a ton of money on it and it is so fun driving it, but I would rather start a business with the money which is why I am selling it this spring. I bought it under KBB so I should be able to get at least $23k for it, and I consider it a neutral investment since I am pretty much breaking even on it.

C. Things I like To Be Around

Warmth (Warm weather, a nice fire)
Starry nights
Campfires
Beaches
Cabins/Vacation homes (Being in cabins gives me a feeling of nostalgia)
Positive, supportive people
Intelligent people
Successful people (Though they have to be intelligent)
Good conversation (Again with intellectuals)
People who are masters at their trade
People who have similar Core Values (Non-conformists)

C. What I Really Want

To try new things (Anything that creates a memorable experience)
Friends (With depth)
Cars/Motorcycles
To learn (I like to sit back and listen sometimes because it helps you pick up on subtleties)
To impress people
To build things or handiwork (Mechanics/Carpentry)
Alone time (For relaxation and to clear my head)
Flexibility (Doing what I want when I choose)
Success
To travel (Culture myself more)
To learn a few languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese)
Learn to dance well (Waltzing to breakdancing)
Many Corvettes (ZR1, C7, Z06, and to restore my late father’s ‘69 Stingray…427 big block, nbd)

D. Things I Like To Do
Red: Haven’t done it in a while Green: Do it frequently

Drive (I love driving anywhere, it lets me think and gives me freedom) [F,S,T,1,D,:),A,Quest]
Music (Listen to music/Play the guitar & drums) [C,R,K,:)]
Art (Watch movies/Act/Draw) [C,R,K,:)]

Earn money (I always feel accomplished when I earn money) [0:00,+,Control,C,F,R,1,D,"),$,L,P]
Workout/MMA/BJJ/Muy Thai [+,C,H,:)]
Handiwork/Building things [K,L,P,:)]

Mechanics [K,L,P,:)]
Impress people [Control,C,R,T,:)]
Boating/Fishing/Hunting/Camping/Archery [C,F,K,S,T,1,N,Haha,H,:),A,Quest]
Shooting [Control,C,N,:),A]

Helping people or give advice [R,T,:),I,P]
Sports [C,N,H,:),A]
Hanging out [S,:)]
Watch some TV [:)]

Pt. II

Track Expenses – See Excel Spreadsheet
– See Mint.com

Monthly Expenses

Car insurance
$1,900/year​
Food
$4800/year​
Clothes & Shoes
$400/year​
Gas
$240/month​
Motorcycle Insurance
$380/year​
Alcohol
$400/year​
Random
$600/year​
Phone
$70/month​
Haircut
$20/month​
Health Products (supplements, grooming products)
$500/year​
School Housing
$12,000/year​
Books
$1,400/year​
Total:
$1,111.57/month (w.o housing and meal plan)​
Total:
$2,261.58/month (w. housing and meals)​

Since I go to school I pay for housing which is roughly $12,000 a year. It is a rip off so I will be moving into an apartment with my roommates and it should be at least $2,000 cheaper just off of the cost of living. Since I will then no longer be forced into purchasing a $2,300 - $2,700 meal plan I will most likely be spending $200/month on food or less if I shop with my roommates and we go to Costco’s or BJ’s. I know the $200/month figure because I shopped for myself for a few months and that is what I lived off of in that area of spending. I plan on selling my car which will give me the capital for my business that I need, and I want to buy a cheap, old car that gets decent fuel mileage. I can do the work on it myself which will cost me time but it will be immensely cheaper, especially on gas and insurance. I currently own 2 motorcycles (one was a starter bike and the other was a nicer one I purchased from my friend for extremely cheap) and I am in the process of selling the starter bike. I want to keep one bike because I have already faced the facts that I need one to keep me sane and in this aspect I am going to argue with Russ and say there is a reason for having a bike, and a newer one at that. Those are 1) for the convenience of needing it to be reliable, as I usually take my bikes on long trips from Rhode Island to Massachusetts (roughly 96 miles) and 2) it costs me less in a new bike in gas than it does with an older bike, or my car. Other than that at home I live with my grandmother who doesn’t charge me rent because I am in school, so the only real bills I have are my phone ($70/month), gas ($240/month which hopefully will be reduced by switching cars), haircuts ($20/month), clothing ($400/year – I go through shoes like water), supplements and vitamins ($500/year), insurance ($2,280/year for my bike and car – this will lower by $1,000 when I switch cars, maybe more), and a monthly allowance of $50 that is spent on anything random that I have to purchase or pay for.

My monthly expenses are: $1,111.57 (excluding my housing and meal plan through the school)

I almost always pay for everything upfront and in full (IE: insurance I get better discounts to pay the entirety of it at the beginning of each year) so I don’t consider a lot of things part of a monthly expense, however the number that I come up with is $1,111.57. It might not seem like a lot to adults who have a full time job, but I think that that is a lot compared other college students. I have always been very conscious of my credit cards and my bank accounts, however this past September was the first month in 3 years that I have not paid of my credit cards in full because I transferred schools and the books were a bit more expensive, but I almost have them paid off completely. I have been using mint.com to track my money recently, but I have always kept track of all my money spent. My mother pays for my doctor’s bills and dentist visits, so I don’t have to worry about that, and everything else is pretty much covered when I set aside money for it at the beginning of each year. The only loans I have are for my schooling and I’ve made a few payments on the interest (I have a lot of scholarships and grants so that helps). I actually have tried not to spend money recently because I hate debt and I have purchased everything that I need or want at the moment, so I have no real need other than the occasional nicety.

Pt. III

Residence On Fire

My school has fire drills once a month and every time I am caught at 3am or coming out of the shower I grab my backpack and throw in my External HD (that contains pictures, documents, information, etc…), both my laptops, my ipad and ipods, my wallet, keys, and I always have all my personal documents and things of that nature in a fireproof safe under my bed. Those are just the things I instinctually grab because it would be a hassle to replace them. The rest of the stuff can go and is replaceable and not worth my time to struggle to bring out (even though I live on the ground floor and I could throw everything out my window).

If I had to move:

Computer 1 $1,000 Ipad Classic (80G) $100
Computer 2 $1,000 Phone (HTC Thunderbolt) $400
External HD (pics & docs) $100 Clothes/Suits $3,000
Ipad $1,200 Camping Equip. $3,000
Safe $200 Hunting Equip. $35,000
Important Documents Priceless Motorcycle Equip. $2,000
Ipad Nano $200 Car $20,000
Ipad Classic (160G) $200 Motorcycle $6,000

If I had to move I would take my electronics, documents, and a few memorable items that I enjoy having. If I cannot purchase anything after the move I would take my car, motorcycle, some clothes and suits, and some sports equipment as well. I have most of my information stored in at least 3 places, and I make sure to have all my gadgets work in conjunction with one another. The Mobileme application on my ipad lets me track my other apple devices, computer, and phone on a gps. And my phone and laptops can track the ipad as well. I know how useless AT&T is when it comes to having an iphone stolen so I try to prevent that before it happens. I have had my wallet stolen once as well and I know how much of a hassle it is to replace it so of course I’d take that. My inventory list isn’t too large because I moved a lot as a teenager and most of my childhood belongings got destroyed in the 4 floods I’ve had… So most of the purchases are from the past 5 years and fit my lifestyle; however I’m used to living in 1 small room where I keep all my belongings. Every time I moved I kept less and less and it has definitely helped me consolidate my life. I’ve always had sleeping problems though so again if I can’t buy anything I would have to bring my bed which is better than sleeping in my car haha.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What a killer thread! So glad to have found it (via Runum).

BUMP, BUMP, BUMP!

Graham Chong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Apr 29, 2012
BUMP BUMP BUMP! It's a bit late here already but it will be a good weekend exercise

Astute

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jun 19, 2012
London, UK
This is a really great thread. But it made me realise I have no 'proper' hobbies whatsoever, maybe I need to work on that. Anyway:

Core values

Freedom
Education
Financial security
Development / growth
Inquisitiveness
Open mindedness

Things I like to be around

My girlfriend
Any environment which is intense and quick and productive
Myself, as it is quite important to be able to think

What I like to do

Working to achieve my vision
Listening to podcasts while walking an hour a day
Learning / watching interviews with successful billionaires
Listening to audiobooks (quicker to get through)
Travelling around London (although not done that much recently)

Monthly expenses

£600 p/m rent including all bills
£35 p/m phone bill
Food at approx £5 p/d

Various other bits. Leaves me with about £500 from my salary left over.

Basic needs

Just my home and phone

What I'd need to grab from a fire?

Laptop, mobile and wallet

What would I want to grab?

Nothing except the above

My inventory

LCD TV, laptop, camera, camcorder, clothes, stereo, PS3. I am pleased that I have no monthly expenses other than my mobile phone. All of my goods have already been saved for / paid in full.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Great post man, this is a big help to someone who is a newbie in business. This would give us an idea to develop our plan correctly. Thanks guys, I'm looking forward for the step II-take action!

Cheers!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Amazing thread that needs a bump. Everyone from newbie to veteran can benefit from it. Dig in.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Awesome thread, still reading through it, but I had to stop with this:

Car insurance $1,900/year

This... this is why you don't buy sports cars before you go fastlane, folks.

I'd like to lay this out here for you guys. I did what MJ did, only I was poorer: The first taste of success I got, I ran out and bought a C5 Corvette (mine was used though). Here's where the story gets sad-The difference between what it cost me buy my 1998 Corvette and drive it 30,000 miles (2 years), and what it cost to buy my 2000 Insight Hybrid and drive 30,000 miles (2 years), was $17,000. In two years!!! What could you do with $17,000? The Corvette is a cheap, reliable sports car. My friend has a 1994 NSX and spent $21,000 in 3 years, exclusive of the purchase price, to DD that car, another of the cheapest and most reliable. What about people who buy Porsches, or M3s or AMGs? What do they pay every year? How much would they be being paid if that money was going towards their fastlane plan?

I'll have more updates to my liquidity defense series later this week in the "Mindset, Motivation, Choices" to show you how to get free of this bullshit, get tons of spare cash, and get to the point where you can put your best foot forward when buying transportation, rather than shooting yourself in it. It's the only thing that allowed me to start the journey out of the slow lane.

D

DeletedUser394

@MJ DeMarco

I nominate this thread for that Gold Thread Status.

I'm sure you'd agree that being fiscally responsible is crucial to being able to create any kind of wealth, and more importantly holding onto it and building it. Proper goal setting and understanding who you are are also super important.

This thread lays it out pretty clearly and in great detail.

It doesn't really meet your criteria, but it has clearly helped a lot of people, myself included, to take control over my finances as well as my life in general. Deserves to be gilded in my opinion :)

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 18, 2014
Imagine if you got rid of EVERYTHING in the next 6 months. Sold it all on Ebay and Craig's list. Sold the car, sold the house, sold the clothes.
I actually did this. Got rid of everything that didn't fit into 2 medium-sized suitcases, sold almost everything and packed the rest into boxes to drop off at the local Salvation Army. Before I dropped it off, I went through the depressing and tedious process of mentally calculating how much I'd paid for everything in the boxes and what that total came to in terms of hours worked.
It is really illuminating to de-clutter your life. And I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who used to be a super-consumerist. I had more than enough clothes - and shoes - in my closet with price tags still on them. You know, clothes that I meant to wear someday...

Anyway, that experience really changed something. As well as becoming obsessed with providing a service rather than buying stuff. Creating something from scratch is one of the most exciting addictions I've ever known and it's served to pretty much obliterate my interest in buying stuff.

A great mind-trick that works really well for me when I really want to buy something is to turn it around and ask myself - "Who else wants this? Why do they want this? Can I service this market somehow?" And even if I come up with no answers, it gets my brain started on a new line of thinking - one that turns the thought process away from wanting to buy to wanting to sell instead.

It's also really helpful to calculate things based on labor I could hire instead. Like, realizing that the gorgeous peacoat that really tempted me could pay for a full-time writer for a month was enough to make me walk away.

Oh, and in all honesty - all those things that I thought I'd never be able to live without...yea, can totally live without. People still like you even if you don't want to go out to posh dinners all the time. Guys don't seem to care whether you're wearing jeans or a designer dress. And life feels so, so much free-er when you realize you're *mostly* free of the desire to buy stuff.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
bump.

also,

"
For years, I read books that gave me all kinds of good ideas and strategies for wealth. I felt that if I understood the concept, I had gained the value of whatever exercise the book wanted me to do.

I was wrong.

As in life, the key to success is doing. Not reading about it and thinking how cool your life will be if/when you do it.

We talk about the fastlane all the time here.

The fastlane is about doing.

Not just talking or dreaming about it.

Doing it. "

Some of the best words ever uttered on this forum. Russ H is the man.

Marco Cuevas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 12, 2017
1. My level of attention to my finances is good, but to get to where I want to be- it needs to be great. ...and this is just the first step.
I love this part of your comment. Quick question for you... How often do you encounter the following types of people:

1: average SCRIPTED person who has no idea about their money and have voiced their frustration
2: budding entrepreneur (probably on this forum) who complains the don't even have enough to bootstrap a startup

I'd be interested in your (or anyone's for that matter) comments concerning these two types of people listed.

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
514%
Jul 9, 2018
Bump to a good old thread!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.