The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Create a $2k+/mo Passive Income Website in 30 Days (or Less)

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
In November, I launched a digital product. In under 30 days, I generated over $2,000 in sales.

November.png
Four months later, the site had its first $2,000 week...

March 23.png

I've been documenting this progress in my Insider's thread here.

Now, I'm going to show you how to do it.

Here are some things to know:
  • The idea is not new or novel
  • There are no inventory costs
  • I created the product in a day and had it for sale in a month
  • The product is not attached to my name
  • The business is almost entirely automated
  • The business generates mostly passive income
  • Anyone from any country in the world could replicate this if you're not a pussy with a shitty attitude
So what is this thread for?
I decided to replicate the process across multiple websites to create a variety of new passive-income streams and you can try it for yourself if you want. Feel free to ask questions. I'll respond when I can.

What does the process look like so far?
I started on both ideas yesterday. I expect to put in 4-8 hours per day for around 30 days to get both launched. Then probably less than an hour per day for each site. Okay, here we go:

1.0 The Product
Both of the new websites will sell digital products. One site will sell one of the products from my first site but to a different niche. The second site will sell a product I have never tested before to a new audience.

1.1 Product Requirements
  • Must be a digital product (i.e. text, video, audio, illustrative, etc.)
  • Must be simple to create (i.e. I can create it in a day)
  • Must have proven sales (as indicated by other sellers in the market)
  • Must have an angle that will give me an edge over competitors
  • Must be something I can sell through my own website
  • Must not require ongoing support or complex systems
1.2 Examples of Potentially Good Digital Products
Short ebook, templates, guides, checklists, sound effects, music, vocal recordings, videos, digital illustrations, digital software, etc. Niching down is generally what makes any of these *good.*

1.3 Product Creation
I want products that can be created fast (like less than an hour). I got ideas from products sold on other sites like Envato, Etsy, Ebay, etc. I also used Google Adwords to check out search volume for keywords. For product creation, I used Canva (I pay for the $9/mo version) and Envato Elements (I pay for the $197/yr subscription).

2.0 Domain Name
Once I decided on products, I needed a domain name for the websites. I used Namecheap to run domain searches and Wordhippo to help brainstorm name ideas. I purchased the domains through Namecheap for $9 each (less for new accounts). Since I already have web hosting with ChemiCloud, I pointed the domains to ChemiCloud. You can buy domains on ChemiCloud, but it's not as cheap. I also set up SSL through ChemiCloud to secure the site's domains.

2.1 Domain Name Requirements
  • Three words or less
  • Has one or more of the keywords in the name
  • Flows well
  • Easy to read, remember, and repeat
  • Ends in .com
3.0 Website
In cPanel inside ChemiCloud, I added the two domains and set up support emails as support@domainname.com for each site. I forwarded both of these to my personal email (so I don't have to log into multiple emails every day). Then I installed Wordpress using their Wordpress Manager.

3.1 Basic Setup
With Wordpress installed, I visited the site's backend. Now I checked the "General" settings to confirm the URL showed "https" for security. I also checked the permalink settings to confirm they are set to "Post Name" for the blog. Next, I installed my core plugin stack:
  • Classic Wordpress Editor (I don't like Gutenberg)
  • Yoast SEO
  • Thrive Product Manager (which includes several plugins and my theme)
Thrive Product Manager comes from ThriveThemes. You could replicate my process without Thrive (and probably cheaper), but it's my preferred method since Thrive's products are built for marketers (and because I already pay for it).

3.2 Web Pages
Once my plugins were installed, I created all of the core pages:
  • Home Page
  • About Page
  • Contact Page
  • Terms Page
  • Privacy Page
  • Disclaimer Page
3.3 Thrive Themes Setup
With the pages in place, I launched Thrive Builder and installed their "Kwik" theme because I like it. It's wizard walks me through several important steps like adding my logo, page and blog structures, header and footer structures, menu, brand colors, and typography.

3.4 Logo Creation
I used a Canva logo template to create a logo for the first site, then I replicated the logo in the brand colors of the second site, and replaced the first site's name with the second site's name. Beyond that, the logos are identical. Took all of 10 seconds.

3.5 Core Content
For the Terms, Privacy, and Disclaimer pages I copy/paste from a similar website (in this case my own) and then replace their website's info with my own and change areas as needed to be relevant for my sites. For the About page, I stay as simple as possible and write one to two paragraphs about my site. For the home page, I create a main image area with a headline and a call to action leading into a button that goes to the shop page (shop page doesn't exist yet tho). The rest of the page can remain blank for now. You'll see why in the next section.

3.6 Checkout System
One of my websites uses ThriveCart (costs $500 one-time). The other site uses WooCommerce plugin (free but pay for add-ons if you need them). Once WooCommerce was installed, I went through the wizard to setup all the basic stuff like payment methods and whatnot. Once ThriveCart and WooCommerce were set up, I created basic product pages and then I placed those products on the home page of my website as the content for that page (that's why I left it blank earlier). If you use WooCommerce, they will create a shop page for you. Otherwise, you can create a shop page now.

4.0 Email
Email plays a key role in the success of these businesses (particularly email automation). I use ActiveCampaign on the Plus version. ThriveThemes integrates well with ActiveCampaign, as does ThriveCart. There are other email services you can use that cost less or are free to start.

Next Steps?
All of the above was accomplished in one day.

Next, I'll finish WooCommerce setup, optimize the site for mobile viewers, set up a YouTube account for one site (because it will be a good traffic source), create about six products for one site, and around 50 for the other site. After that, I'll turn on Google Ads and see how much it costs to get someone to click on my website and buy the product.

Once all of that is finished, the last step left is to grow the email list, and refine and test everything (pricing, design, emails, etc.) to get people to buy faster with lower acquisition cost.

Growth & Scale?
Long-term, I can bring on freelancers to manage things like the website, products, and email. But one person can bring this to $4k - $10k/mo, maybe more, before hiring becomes necessary.

Ready?
I don't plan to post updates every day. There will be parts you have to figure out on your own. If you want to build a $4k+ per month passive-income that you control, then this thread should help.

Disclaimer: There's no coaching offer at the end of this. No course. Don't DM me for private questions about this. If your question can't be answered in this thread, then it can't be answered by me. Lastly, it's entirely possible that I may fail and you may too, so you need to not be a weenie to make this work for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you so much for this Lex! I'll start do the research.
If you don't mind me asking, how much average price per product?

For the first site, I started with prices between $49.97 and $79.97. Now I've got prices between $49.97 and $297.97. I've also just added a recurring subscription product at $49.97/mo that has a one-time upfront price of $97.97 and generates $199/mo recurring from four customers.

Site two will all be recurring pricing that ranges from as low as $19.97 to $99.97 or possibly higher.

Site three will be one-off sales at first with prices starting between $9.97 to $29.97 and I may add bundles or a subscription model later.

I test pricing continuously to see what works best. These are all for a U.S. market. I get some sales from other countries, but if I wanted to run Google Ads to other countries, I might need to lower prices to be more attractive.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Don't DM me for private questions about this.

1006k2.jpg

1678375988308.png

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
A few additional thoughts for anyone considering doing this:

1. You don't have to use Wordpress.
Most of you should use Shopify so you don't have to learn Wordpress. I don't use Shopify because I'm fast with Wordpress. If you're on a budget, you could leverage sites like Etsy or other digital marketplaces that have little or no fees upfront. The only problem with this is you lack control.

2. Use resources already available to find products.
Etsy, Ebay, and other online marketplaces reveal metrics like total sales, and number of ratings for sellers. These are good indicators of how well a shop and/or product is doing. You don't need to reinvent the wheel here.

3. Targeting a niche is very important.
Let's say you make live streaming overlays for Twitch. If you try to sell that product, you'll compete with all of the other sites that sell Twitch live stream overlays. The way to bypass competitors is to go more niche with your targeting. For instance, you might be a "Fortnite Overlays" website or an "IRL Live Stream Overlays" website. Alternatively, you could niche sideways and sell "YouTube Live Stream Overlays." This is just an example. The point is, you want to find a niche for a product that already has proven sales or reframe the proven product to fit a different market.

4. Use Google Ads to help you find a good niche.
At ads.google.com you can create a free Google Ads account. You DO have to enter your payment information and create a campaign, but just pause the campaign after you create it so you don't get billed. Now use the "Tools & Settings" menu at the top and the "Discover New Keywords" option to search for niches. If you find a niche keyword with 1,000+ searches per month, that's good enough to move forward with the niche.

5. Keep everything as simple as possible.
To move quickly, avoid anything that complicates your process at all. There's no need to spend time on design, copywriting, or building out email funnels right now. Start with the simplest setup possible. Ideally, the initial setup will look something like this:

Google Ad ► Website ► Purchase

Once you have proof of sales, then you can build out systems and processes starting with an email opt-in (we'll get to that in a future post).

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Thank you much for providing your entire process. I'm kind of shocked that you can sell a product for over $50 that takes so little effort to create. At the very least this will make a fun side project!

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Thank you for this Lex. Holy shit it couldn't have come at a more perfect time. If it's like any of your other slow drip threads, I'm looking forward to this.

This thread so far got ideas bouncing in my head. I've been brainstorming a way to capture traffic from my youtube channel, then provide value through email to build trust(thinking of a weekly newsletter that builds off the content I'm already making), and lastly soft sell to the engaged email list in form of monthly promotions(digital products).

I had a question about payment but found out you answered it on another thread. I'll mention it below in case someone needs it. LMK if the info below is outdated though!
There are several alternatives to PayPal. Which one you choose mostly depends on what you need it for.

For freelancing, I switched to HelloBonsai.com. It's more of an all-in-one solution for freelancers, but they have their own internal payment processing and it comes with fewer fees than PayPal.

Stripe is another common alternative.

Payoneer is regularly recommended for people in countries where PayPal isn't available.

There's also Google pay, Apple Pay, Authorize.net, Cash App and other processors that I know nothing about.

In short, there are plenty of other ways to accept money from people without using PayPal.
Wise and Revolut are excellent options, too.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
To move quickly, avoid anything that complicates your process at all. There's no need to spend time on design, copywriting, or building out email funnels right now. Start with the simplest setup possible. Ideally, the initial setup will look something like this:

^^^ This.

Stop with all the fancy stuff and get on with it.

Start as close to the end as possible.

Google for "feed a starving crowd".

Well done Lex.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you for this Lex. Holy shit it couldn't have come at a more perfect time. If it's like any of your other slow drip threads, I'm looking forward to this.

This thread so far got ideas bouncing in my head. I've been brainstorming a way to capture traffic from my youtube channel, then provide value through email to build trust(thinking of a weekly newsletter that builds off the content I'm already making), and lastly soft sell to the engaged email list in form of monthly promotions(digital products).

I had a question about payment but found out you answered it on another thread. I'll mention it below in case someone needs it. LMK if the info below is outdated though!

One that isn't mentioned is the buy now pay later processors like Affirm, Afterpay, and Klarna. For WooCommerce, I'll probably use Affirm because I'm most familiar with it.

Buy now pay later allows people to purchase your products and you receive payment upfront but the customer pays the processor in installments, even for low-cost items. For instance, an $80 product becomes four $20 installments at 0% interest.

This can easily be the difference between a sale and no sale. Unfortunately, ThriveCart doesn't integrate with any of the buy now pay later options, so that's one downside of using TC.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you much for providing your entire process. I'm kind of shocked that you can sell a product for over $50 that takes so little effort to create. At the very least this will make a fun side project!

The effort doesn't matter. It's not like the customer knows how much time it took to create the product. They only see the end result. Once you have proof of sales, then you improve your marketing efforts to sell the end result faster.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The effort doesn't matter. It's not like the customer knows how much time it took to create the product. They only see the end result. Once you have proof of sales, then you improve your marketing efforts to sell the end result faster.
"You can't invoice for input."
(Blaise Brosnan)

In this case it's more like "You don't invoice for input."

ericlozada

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 6, 2022
A few additional thoughts for anyone considering doing this:

1. You don't have to use Wordpress.
Most of you should use Shopify so you don't have to learn Wordpress. I don't use Shopify because I'm fast with Wordpress. If you're on a budget, you could leverage sites like Etsy or other digital marketplaces that have little or no fees upfront. The only problem with this is you lack control.

2. Use resources already available to find products.
Etsy, Ebay, and other online marketplaces reveal metrics like total sales, and number of ratings for sellers. These are good indicators of how well a shop and/or product is doing. You don't need to reinvent the wheel here.

3. Targeting a niche is very important.
Let's say you make live streaming overlays for Twitch. If you try to sell that product, you'll compete with all of the other sites that sell Twitch live stream overlays. The way to bypass competitors is to go more niche with your targeting. For instance, you might be a "Fortnite Overlays" website or an "IRL Live Stream Overlays" website. Alternatively, you could niche sideways and sell "YouTube Live Stream Overlays." This is just an example. The point is, you want to find a niche for a product that already has proven sales or reframe the proven product to fit a different market.

4. Use Google Ads to help you find a good niche.
At ads.google.com you can create a free Google Ads account. You DO have to enter your payment information and create a campaign, but just pause the campaign after you create it so you don't get billed. Now use the "Tools & Settings" menu at the top and the "Discover New Keywords" option to search for niches. If you find a niche keyword with 1,000+ searches per month, that's good enough to move forward with the niche.

Once you have proof of sales, then you can build out systems and processes starting with an email opt-in (we'll get to that in a future post).
Thank you for providing this!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So, it's Friday.

Site 2 is mobile-optimized, online, and just needs products added for sale.

Site 3 is online, but needs text on the About page, mobile-optimized, and products added for sale.

Both sites should be ready for ads by Monday.

A few additional thoughts:

Q - Why do you need terms/privacy/disclaimer/contact/about pages?
A - Because you don't have reviews yet. You have no social proof. So you leverage other points of credibility to put consumers at ease about doing business with you until you get social proof.

Q - Why does the site need to be mobile-optimized right now?
A - Because all your customers are shopping from their phones.

Q - Why are we starting with Google Ads and not Facebook?
A - Because people who click Google ads want to buy specific shit.

Q - What if my product descriptions suck?
A - Let ChatGPT write them for now. Clean them up later.

Q - What if I can't afford Google Ads?
A - I plan to start with a small daily budget under $10. You can start as low as $1.00 I think. Assuming you picked a proven product and a solid niche, you should see sales quickly. Assuming you price your product high enough to run ads without eating a hole in your pocket, you should get profitable fast, which means you can spend more on ads to get more sales.

Q - What if I don't know how to do Google Ads?
A - Follow @Andy Black - I literally have no idea what I'm doing with Google Ads most of the time, but they make money. Beyond Andy's stuff, you'll spend time Googling how to use Google's ads. At some point, you'll want to set up conversion tracking through your website, but that can come later on.

Q - What about the blog?
A- Once you get your site online with ads running to it, then you can work on a few long-form blog posts if you want to capture more organic traffic.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Q - Why do you need terms/privacy/disclaimer/contact/about pages?
A - Because you don't have reviews yet. You have no social proof. So you leverage other points of credibility to put consumers at ease about doing business with you until you get social proof.
... and when a Google employee checks out your site to see if they should ban you they'll see you're more legit.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Q - What if I can't afford Google Ads?
A - I plan to start with a small daily budget under $10. You can start as low as $1.00 I think.
You can have budgets of less than $1.00.

Note that Google can take up to twice your daily budget. They're supposed to average it across the month but they're sneaky f*ckers so set to half what you want initially.

(Note that you can set budgets to $0.01 to effectively pause campaigns.)

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Thats again a very motivating thread made by Lex. Thanks for it.

But again I stand on the same problem as allways.
I just wanted to install Wordpress to get some practice and set up a shop like you showed, when I stuck at doing recherche about what digital product I could sell.
On Etsy I found for download courses how to set up a etsy shop or pictures to paint.
But imo that can’t be anything serious to get going.
So I spent some hours recherching and ended in doing nothing.

Can you evaluate a bit more about how to get a digital product? Thanks?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thats again a very motivating thread made by Lex. Thanks for it.

But again I stand on the same problem as allways.
I just wanted to install Wordpress to get some practice and set up a shop like you showed, when I stuck at doing recherche about what digital product I could sell.
On Etsy I found for download courses how to set up a etsy shop or pictures to paint.
But imo that can’t be anything serious to get going.
So I spent some hours recherching and ended in doing nothing.

Can you evaluate a bit more about how to get a digital product? Thanks?
To be honest, I'm not sure I can simplify the process much further, but I'll try.

1. Find digital products on Etsy (or whever) and see if they have a lot of reviews.

This took 10 seconds to find.

Etsy Example 1.png

2. Go to the shop's home page, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, and look at their sales volume and the year the shop was created.

Etsy Example 3.png

3. Divide the number of sales by the number of years in business (two) and you get 25,029 sales per year.

4. Multiply sales per year by the average sale price per product which you determine by glancing at the shop's products. In this case, it's roughly $6.00. So 25,029 sales x $6.00 = $150,174/year.

5. Ask yourself, "If this shop sells it's products to EVERYONE then who is a niche of EVERYONE?" Accountants? Wedding Planners? Executive Assistants? University Professors? If you want extra reassurance, then use Google Ads keyword tool to search for the niche or the product + niche to see how many searches it gets per month.

6. Recreate the product, position it for those people, run Google ads to those people.

That's the whole process.

There's nothing to get stuck on. You're not choosing products based on your beliefs about what may or may not sell. You choose products based on what has proven sales and then using Google Ads to test niches within that market.

Last edited:

The Questioner

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 28, 2021
Wow, thanks a lot for pointing out this process Lex. I will definitely look into that.

I have a few questions:

1. You write that you currently have products on your first website with prices ranging from $49.97 to $297.97. How much were the products sold for when you found them and decided to sell them to a new audience?

2. One thing I don't quite get: How can you have recurring revenue for a digital product?

3. Assuming you take the product from your example at $6, what's the maximum you estimate you could charge for it?

4. On one of your new sites you want to have 50 products. Are these 50 different products? How does that work in terms of niche? With 50 different products, the niche has to be pretty broad, right?

Thanks a lot.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Wow, thanks a lot for pointing out this process Lex. I will definitely look into that.

I have a few questions:

1. You write that you currently have products on your first website with prices ranging from $49.97 to $297.97. How much were the products sold for when you found them and decided to sell them to a new audience?

2. One thing I don't quite get: How can you have recurring revenue for a digital product?

3. Assuming you take the product from your example at $6, what's the maximum you estimate you could charge for it?

4. On one of your new sites you want to have 50 products. Are these 50 different products? How does that work in terms of niche? With 50 different products, the niche has to be pretty broad, right?

Thanks a lot.

1. Different people sold my item at different prices ranging from as low as maybe $5 or $6 to as high as a few hundred.

2. It's easy to have recurring revenue for digital products. For instance, if your products can be updated from time to time, then recurring payments for access makes sense. So if you offer a digital library of sorts, or if you offer a software service or ongoing support of some kind, then you could turn your products into a recurring subscription model.

3. I don't assume a maximum I could charge for it. I test different prices and see what people actually buy.

4. The 50 products will be different, but they'll all be variations of the initial product that the same audience would want to buy. The niche doesn't need to be broad. If I sold donut recipes, then I could easily have 50 different donut recipes. All recipes are donuts, so they will all appeal to donut shops looking for new recipes to try.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
This is a great revenue stream Lex. I’m thinking about setting up something like this for my girlfriend because she wants to get her feet wet in online biz, and this seems like a great entry point where you can get some quick market feedback as a beginner and I personally have all the skills needed to make it work anyway.

I have a few questions:
1) What sort of ROAS can you expect? So to make $2K sales, what sort of ad spend do you need?
2) When you say you created 50 digital products for the website, what exactly does that mean? Is it like 50 different versions of the same product or?
3) How do you use email marketing automations and what sort of effect do they have?
4) What have you done with regards to testimonials initially? I know social proof can be quite important for these products

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is a great revenue stream Lex. I’m thinking about setting up something like this for my girlfriend because she wants to get her feet wet in online biz, and this seems like a great entry point where you can get some quick market feedback as a beginner and I personally have all the skills needed to make it work anyway.

I have a few questions:
1) What sort of ROAS can you expect? So to make $2K sales, what sort of ad spend do you need?
2) When you say you created 50 digital products for the website, what exactly does that mean? Is it like 50 different versions of the same product or?
3) How do you use email marketing automations and what sort of effect do they have?
4) What have you done with regards to testimonials initially? I know social proof can be quite important for these products

1. I'm no ads expert, so keep that in mind as I write this. I spend $45/day across four ad groups in a single campaign and started with $10/day. If I'm looking at sales conversions, I generate a few hundred directly. Most clicks don't turn into sales immediately. What happens is they come to the site, browse, and end up on my email list. I email the list 4-6 times per week. I don't know my ROAS. I have conversion tracking set up, but it tracks all sales conversions as a single metric rather than by price. I haven't updated it because there are so many products with different prices. What I do know, is I'm profitable. :D

3. Right now, I've got a lead magnet for opt-in, then a day later they get an invitation to a free educational series with 7 emails that lead to several pitches. I have an after-purchase email series (that I need to finish lol). It provides additional information/learning and leads to a pitch after about four days. The only other automation is an abandoned cart that sends a 10% off coupon to motivate a purchase.

At the start, I only had a lead magnet opt-in. I don't know how effective any of the automations are. I haven't looked that closely at the numbers. I send a regular campaign at least 4-6 times per week. All of the above combined keeps sales moving. My email list has a little over 400 subscribers. I recently scrubbed a bunch of non-buyers. There appears to be a correlation between list growth and sales growth. I also get a good number of sales from returning customers.

4. I didn't have testimonials to start, so I built pseudo-credibility. I had a money-back guarantee, payment processor logos under checkout buttons, and added "Refund Policies" and a "Careers" page. The site looks clean and has a video header that adds professionalism. I also added a testimonial request page to the user account area where I offer a coupon code for a testimonial. I removed the money-back guarantee once I had some testimonials. Now I do not offer refunds at all.

*EDIT for #4*
I also used the FOMO plugin from fomo.com from very early on. Before I had testimonials, I used it to show a small social proof popup in the bottom left corner each time someone joined my email list.

Last edited:

Fruitcake

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Mar 26, 2018
Belgium, Europe
Great thread and impressive results, congrats man.

Could you drop us a link to one of you websites cause a picture says more than a thousand words and an example says more than a million words.

Your product seems to violate the commandment of Entry at first glance, but the rest of the CENTS framework is very much respected.

Keep going man!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I decided to use WooCommerce for both sites, that way I can accept Affirm or another buy-now-pay-later option. At this point, everything is set up on both websites and I've started adding products.

Site 2
This site's products are virtual and delivered by email, so I created a simple ActiveCampaign automation that gets triggered with a tag once the customer purchases through WooCommerce. When the purchase is complete, nothing else needs to happen except enjoying their monthly payments. At that point, the focus becomes increasing traffic to the site, growing the email list, and pushing for more new customers and more recurring revenue.

Site 3
This site's products are digital downloads so they can be directly downloaded by the customer immediately after purchase. No email automation is necessary. Once I have sales I'll add an after-purchase series to sell more products to past customers. Then the focus switches to pulling in more traffic, growing the email list, and marketing/remarketing products.

SEO
For SEO purposes, I'll write down a bunch of questions that people are likely to ask and then turn those into blog posts. Each post will answer a main question and the sub-headings will answer additional questions. To move quickly, I'll probably use Chat GPT to write the answers, and then I'll re-work the writing so it feels more human. These aren't necessary for launch. Just something that can be done on the side when there's time.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Thread followed, incredible step-by-step stuff

Until a few days ago I believed that automatic, replicable stuff should be things like apps/code

But I realised that people are selling photoshop templates by thousands and that this can be used with ebook, templates, charts of whatever

Thanks Lex you make everything appear so simple

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Until a few days ago I believed that automatic, replicable stuff should be things like apps/code

But I realised that people are selling photoshop templates by thousands and that this can be used with ebook, templates, charts of whatever

People sell Notion templates, Excel spreadsheets, checklists, emails, etc.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Software is fine for this. Chat GPT can whip up something in a few seconds that can be ready for sale with minor modifications.

Using Wordpress as an example, Chat GPT can code a Wordpress plugin, and instruct you step-by-step how to handle the database aspects, package it into a .zip file, and host it for sale on any plugin platform (or your own website). Once you make sales, you can hire a freelancer to handle plugin updates to take over where Chat GPT left off and bill a recurring fee for support/updates.

The hardest part is the mental walls people put up as soon as they face discomfort.
  • "I don't have any ideas"
  • "I can't find any ideas"
  • "I don't have experience"
  • "I don't know how to use Wordpress, Shopify, Etsy, Ebay, *insert other platforms*
  • "I don't know how to use ActiveCampaign"
  • "I can't afford website hosting or a domain"
  • "I can't come up with a domain name"
  • "I don't know how to use Google Ads"
  • "I don't have money for this"
The real problem is facing a system that can be set up in 30 days or less and produce full-time income, but it requires a touch of discomfort (money, thinking, problem-solving...).

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Software is fine for this. Chat GPT can whip up something in a few seconds that can be ready for sale with minor modifications.

Using Wordpress as an example, Chat GPT can code a Wordpress plugin, and instruct you step-by-step how to handle the database aspects, package it into a .zip file, and host it for sale on any plugin platform (or your own website). Once you make sales, you can hire a freelancer to handle plugin updates to take over where Chat GPT left off and bill a recurring fee for support/updates.

For anyone who wants a basic example of this, I offered a step-by-step in creating a simple Wordpress plugin with chatGPT here.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Just… overwhelming.

I ll try to start with an Etsy shop and setting up simple digital products.

Imo for the beginning it’s enough work to do.

Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.