The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How long did it take you to bench press 225?

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
hopefully this link works. I always start and end with this one, I train for endurance. The further I can push. The more Intrinsic value I have In my slowlane job. I love this book lol Anyway It makes me happy. And If benching 300lbs makes someone happy That's there choice. And they should be praised for going for it. Not beat down because of our personal opinion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
ok i plugged my stats in. i am novice on the weights....wow they like to go heavy on the squats.

Why is it called the 5-3-1? It's three sets of 5's?...what did i miss there? Increase weright on each st..i was always told to start heaviest and work down. Shows, more than one way to skin a cat.

Why is week 4's numbers so much lower? Rest period?

By about March i am going to try and get to

Chinups weighted 5X3 +40kg
Bench press 5/3 100kg (220lb)
Squat 130kg (290lb's)
Dlift 150kg (330lb's)

about 20% under those figures right now.

and that's it. Stop there. I am more than happy with the muscle/physique I have. I am not going to keep pushing it. No need to.

thx

If you look at week 2, it's 3 sets of 3, and then the 3rd week is different too.

Week 4 is a de-load week. Where you see the "+" on the last sets of those first 3 weeks, you go all out and get as many reps as possible. That's taxing to your body, which is why week 4 is a deload. One step back, two steps forward type of thing.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
I never even looked at the video. So what's the message? Get as big as possible *** the consequences...100% those guys are on the juice. Is that ok with you? Great message. A lot of lifters in the gyms are. They are obsessed with putting on size. Crazy

B.B. has nothing to do with strength training. IN FACT bb'S ARE weak for the amount the muscle they have. Their only goal is muscle size not strength increase. Big difference.

My point was there's no point in adding bulk/unatural muscle for the sake of it like B.B's do. It looks awful, isn't good. So why on earth do it?

well thats like, your opinion man.

the message was to try and excel in what you do in life, not settle for average. Its what is taught here. It directly applies to wtf we are all here for.

TheChosenOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 13, 2014
I started working out about 3 years ago. Went from 135x7 reps to 225x12 reps in a year at 110 to 135 lbs. Unfortunately, I haven't been as motivated as before and am just maintaining my body, while focusing on business. Still was able to hit 300 lbs for one rep a few months ago at 136 lbs.

Real focus will lead to real success.

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
ok...thx

But i wonder if there's any need for this? Any proof that way is beneficial?

i can't see why you would actually go up in weight on each set. i am getting more and more depleted with each set. I start heaviest (after a warm up) then start dropping it down. I cou;

i think some misunderstand me here. Lifting heavy, getting strong/fit..great. taking juice to get as big as possible....oh no.

Ask most women on the street if they like the bodybuilders look. it's a human fact beyond certain proportions/look it doesn't look better.

Strong/lean/fit/proprtional muscle = good

big bulky/huge muscles = not good.

Don't forget your diet. Eat clean, keep an eye on the calories. Aim for 10% or less body fat. Hardest thing to do i.m.h.o.

But i guess meatheads aren't going to agree here. keep lifting and juicing if you want to look like Phil Heath...great physique to aim for. NOT
well thats like, your opinion man.

the message was to try and excel in what you do in life, not settle for average. Its what is taught here. It directly applies to wtf we are all here for.

ok fair enough. If that's your goal go for it.

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
I'm on target to hit it at the end of the year which will be 6 months. Right now I am at 168lbs body weight and 190lbs bench.

If anyone is looking to get in to strength/power lifting or looking for a new program check out Johnny Candito's program. Check him out on YouTube too, he lifts crazy weight for a smaller, lean guy.
http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-strength-programs/

I lost 70lbs from November 1st - June 30th 2014. I had lifted before and all the while cutting, but lost a ton of strength due to such a long time in a calorie deficit. All my lifts were in the shitter. Starting the first week of July I reset all my lifts (bench, deadlift, squat) pretty low and started this program. I've been progressing like crazy with it.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I'm doing a long term experiment to see how much lean muscle mass i can gain with only calisthenic exercises, with a custom made routine.
I'm shooting for an aesthetically pleasing maximum functional strength.
I have a workout journal that i've been maintaining for almost a year now.
So far my results have been subtle but im optimistic. I have seen strength improvements, great muscle tone improvements, and noticeable but not huge size improvements(my chest no longer looks like a flat surface). I'm only getting started.

My biggest challenge is eating enough to sustain muscle growth. I'm 5'9 and was ~140 pounds or less all my life, and finally in last 2 years finally broke 150 pounds. I force myself to buy big breakfast at work and go out for a big lunch midday, and make sure i eat at least something for dinner. I play a lot of handball which burns calories like wildfire so i make sure i stuff my face with pizza or turkish food afterwards... its not easy sometimes but im getting used to it.

My 2015 new years resolution was to make working out a habit for the rest of my life, i never want to be old and frail. I've been motivated by old black and white pictures of circus performers in their 70's who look absolutely incredible, i found out about them from book CMASS.

The most useful lesson i got from the book is to focus on high rep/low set workouts for muscle size and the concept that muscles size and strength are not the same, and that if you focus on muscle gain only then you will hit a wall because you will simply not be strong enough to get bigger, but if you focus on strength gains as well then you can really pack on the size since you'll be strong enough to put in more reps than usual.

edit:
oh look what i found on the first page of a google search lol
http://www.slideshare.net/hunter230...e-muscle-growth-using-bodyweightonly-training

Last edited:

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
Still haven't done it, topped out at 215lbs. Going to knock that down soon.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I'm doing a long term experiment to see how much lean muscle mass i can gain with only calisthenic exercises, with a custom made routine.
I'm shooting for an aesthetically pleasing maximum functional strength.
I have a workout journal that i've been maintaining for almost a year now.
So far my results have been subtle but im optimistic. I have seen strength improvements, great muscle tone improvements, and noticeable but not huge size improvements(my chest no longer looks like a flat surface). I'm only getting started.

My biggest challenge is eating enough to sustain muscle growth. I'm 5'9 and was ~140 pounds or less all my life, and finally in last 2 years finally broke 150 pounds. I force myself to buy big breakfast at work and go out for a big lunch midday, and make sure i eat at least something for dinner. I play a lot of handball which burns calories like wildfire so i make sure i stuff my face with pizza or turkish food afterwards... its not easy sometimes but im getting used to it.

My 2015 new years resolution was to make working out a habit for the rest of my life, i never want to be old and frail. I've been motivated by old black and white pictures of circus performers in their 70's who look absolutely incredible, i found out about them from book CMASS.

The most useful lesson i got from the book is to focus on high rep/low set workouts for muscle size and the concept that muscles size and strength are not the same, and that if you focus on muscle gain only then you will hit a wall because you will simply not be strong enough to get bigger, but if you focus on strength gains as well then you can really pack on the size since you'll be strong enough to put in more reps than usual.

edit:
oh look what i found on the first page of a google search lol
http://www.slideshare.net/hunter230...e-muscle-growth-using-bodyweightonly-training

What's functional strength? Why don't you go to a gym, where there are free weights present?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
What's functional strength? Why don't you go to a gym, where there are free weights present?

functional as in muscles working in unison to accomplish a physical task. Its the idea that if you do isolation exercises instead of compound workouts which are essentially all calisthenic workouts then your muscles won't coordinate as well when doing feats of strength.

It's like how bruce lee was able to lift incredible weights but looked small, he didn't have huge muscles but his tendons were so powerful he had superior strength.

Maybe that's why some body weight pro that looks like a twig can do a human flag or plank on a bar while a 230 pound beast of man cannot. I'd rather be the former but not look like a twig though, that's what im testing out.

I can't fit gym into my schedule anymore and i don't really want to. I got the pullup bar at home and for everything else i just need a floor and a wall. It's super convenient.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
functional as in muscles working in unison to accomplish a physical task. Its the idea that if you do isolation exercises instead of compound workouts which are essentially all calisthenic workouts then your muscles won't coordinate as well when doing feats of strength.

It's like how bruce lee was able to lift incredible weights but looked small, he didn't have huge muscles but his tendons were so powerful he had superior strength.

Maybe that's why some body weight pro that looks like a twig can do a human flag or plank on a bar while a 230 pound beast of man cannot. I'd rather be the former but not look like a twig though, that's what im testing out.

I can't fit gym into my schedule anymore and i don't really want to. I got the pullup bar at home and for everything else i just need a floor and a wall. It's super convenient.

check out beastskills.com

CSRelentless

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Feb 1, 2015
Took me about a year after working out to hit 225 at 18, now 21 at 180lbs I maxed out at 345 and 225 for a set of 16.

Last edited:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Well, you can lift compound too.
Bruce Lee lifted - he just wasn't body building. Becoming big isn't easy at all.
Besides, having powerful tendons doesn't mean anything. Tendons don't generate force. You still have to use muscle to create it. Sure, tendons must be strong to tolerate the effort and optimize the load, but you develop that by building muscle anyway.
A 230 pound beast would have to lift and keep suspended 230 pounds with his core to do a human flag. My point is, it's not that the twig is strong, it's that he's light with a strong core.

I get what you're doing, but you won't pack muscle that way unfortunately*. I like the same kind of body you like (I'm not particularly interested in resistance feats though), but to obtain it you have to build *a lot* of muscle.

I posted because I'm doing it at home too - I use a bench and two dumbbell, plus a pullup bar.
Work hard every day, strict diet, and I'm getting there - lean and mean.

*: to be fair, you might - but why get in 4 years results you could get in 3 months using 10kg dumbbells?

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
You guys are impressive! I've been lifting 3 years 6ft 1 and can barely get 5 reps of 225.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Well, you can lift compound too.
That's true.

Bruce Lee lifted - he just wasn't body building. Becoming big isn't easy at all.
Besides, having powerful tendons doesn't mean anything. Tendons don't generate force. You still have to use muscle to create it. Sure, tendons must be strong to tolerate the effort and optimize the load, but you develop that by building muscle anyway.
A 230 pound beast would have to lift and keep suspended 230 pounds with his core to do a human flag. My point is, it's not that the twig is strong, it's that he's light with a strong core.
I heard bruce lee stopped lifting after he popped a disk in his back doing squats.
I'm pretty sure the tendons have a lot to do with strength, but can't remember the source.
But im definitely not an expert...
I get what you're doing, but you won't pack muscle that way unfortunately*. I like the same kind of body you like (I'm not particularly interested in resistance feats though), but to obtain it you have to build *a lot* of muscle.

I posted because I'm doing it at home too - I use a bench and two dumbbell, plus a pullup bar.
Work hard every day, strict diet, and I'm getting there - lean and mean.

*: to be fair, you might - but why get in 4 years results you could get in 3 months using 10kg dumbbells?

im not in a rush :)

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
You have no idea how many "strong little guys " I've physically thrown out of clubs over the years. You know the type. the kind that spend hours on a treadmill and can do 200 pushups. Let me tell you my friends "MASS kicks a$$" . I couldn't imagine being under 225 ever again. IT must be such a different world being afraid of getting mugged or robbed or worse

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
You have no idea how many "strong little guys " I've physically thrown out of clubs over the years. You know the type. the kind that spend hours on a treadmill and can do 200 pushups. Let me tell you my friends "MASS kicks a$$" . I couldn't imagine being under 225 ever again. IT must be such a different world being afraid of getting mugged or robbed or worse

i spend 0 seconds on treadmill, i dont wanna be 135 pounds again....
can they do 200 slow pushups in 1 set? now that would be amazing.

but I would take being 200 pounds of muscle anyday over being able to do some physical tricks, we'll see how my experiment turns out.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
But of course. Force is mass*acceleration. Knowing how to fight gives you the right mechanics to develop the acceleration - but mass is equally important by itself. Which means that at equal technique, twice the lean mass = twice the strength.

Kallin Trotman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Dec 30, 2015
Melbourne
I have a similar story. I'm 5'7, started lifting after I lost a bunch of weight (was at about 140 lbs if I recall, down from 185). I didn't do any weight lifting or much cardio when I lost the 45 lbs, so I also lost a lot of muscle.

I could bench press around 95 lbs at first. In about the the first 6-8 months of lifting I could bench 225, and I weighed about 150-60 lbs. I cut down to about 150. The most I ever put up was 315 at 155 lbs. I thought that was pretty good for a guy my size. I'm about 148ish lbs now, and can put up around 250-260. I'd like to put some size back on and get back to 315 at some point, however I would not do that routinely for reasons MJ stated.

I've also put over a 1000 lbs on the squat rack. I was never super bulky (but was pretty lean/ripped for a while). Amazing what our bodies can do.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it might have taken me slightly over a year to make the 225. Hard to remember. Definitely a huge accomplishment for me when I can hang up two plates on there. I need to get back where I feel comfortable doing that without a spotter.

1000 lbs squat
Thats no game.

Andyc2288

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Nov 30, 2015
I call BS on the 1000 pound squat. That is world record level strength

It took my about a year to hit 225, started at 95

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I call BS on the 1000 pound squat. That is world record level strength

It took my about a year to hit 225, started at 95
I was also going to respond calling it BS
No doubt in my mind he does not squat even half that according to his other lifts

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
About a year.

But I mainly deadlift.

punkcityrocker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jan 13, 2016
I started lifting weights my junior year of high school (2006) and could barely put up 95 lbs on the bench press. If you've ever stepped foot into a high school weight training class, you know that it primarily revolves around the bench. Bros on bros pumping iron.

Fast forward to now (7 years of on and off lifting) and I can throw 225 up 10-12 times on a flat bench more if it's decline. It's impressive to some because I'm only 5' 7" and weigh around 150 lbs (hardgainer who doesn't eat right), but for me it was more of a mental feat to accomplish. Putting two plates on each side and repping it just feels good.

For those interested, my routine revolves around the bench press, squat and deadlift. I don't really do much else except for pullups, dips and military press. Keep it simple.

I was wondering how long it took you to bench 225? Was it a major accomplishment for you?

Good stuff on getting your strength straight. If I may, let me suggest we compare strength standards in percentage or bodyweight x 1.5 for example. Considering a really big guy might not have such progress pressing 225 but a guy 20 pounds less would have made a greater gain in strength to complete the task.

Berkhans LEANGAINS has put me on the path to being ripped all year round (I hover between 9-12% all year long). He condensed a lot of information on his blog (starting strength and so forth). My biggest gains were made when I stopped training 5-6 times a week and started focused logging and training 2-3 times a week. Reverse pyramid helped me break plateaus I thought I could not at my current body weight. Streamline and then tweak :)

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
I started out very skinny with a pathetic bench press, I struggled to bench 70 pounds at the start. I reckon it took me a couple of years to get 225lbs but I kept at it. I dont have weight lifting genetics, genetically am built for long distance running and I used to compete at school in long distance runs, used to get comments about how skinny I was.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Don't bench that much, I prefer to do heavy lifting on my squat and deadlift. Love deadlifts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.