The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How long did it take you to bench press 225?

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
I started lifting weights my junior year of high school (2006) and could barely put up 95 lbs on the bench press. If you've ever stepped foot into a high school weight training class, you know that it primarily revolves around the bench. Bros on bros pumping iron.

Fast forward to now (7 years of on and off lifting) and I can throw 225 up 10-12 times on a flat bench more if it's decline. It's impressive to some because I'm only 5' 7" and weigh around 150 lbs (hardgainer who doesn't eat right), but for me it was more of a mental feat to accomplish. Putting two plates on each side and repping it just feels good.

For those interested, my routine revolves around the bench press, squat and deadlift. I don't really do much else except for pullups, dips and military press. Keep it simple.

I was wondering how long it took you to bench 225? Was it a major accomplishment for you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I started lifting weights my junior year of high school (2006) and could barely put up 95 lbs on the bench press. If you've ever stepped foot into a high school weight training class, you know that it primarily revolves around the bench. Bros on bros pumping iron.

Fast forward to now (7 years of on and off lifting) and I can throw 225 up 10-12 times on a flat bench more if it's decline. It's impressive to some because I'm only 5' 7" and weigh around 150 lbs (hardgainer who doesn't eat right), but for me it was more of a mental feat to accomplish. Putting two plates on each side and repping it just feels good.

For those interested, my routine revolves around the bench press, squat and deadlift. I don't really do much else except for pullups, dips and military press. Keep it simple.

I was wondering how long it took you to bench 225? Was it a major accomplishment for you?

I started lifting seriously the beginning of senior year of highschool. My bench 5 x 5 started at 125 lbs. By the 2nd month of college, I was reppin 225 in sets of ten. I had a phenomally perfect diet.

Post back surgery =(, I do 3 sets of 135 at 20 reps. No clue what I can lift today.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I use to be able to do 410 on an incline plated press ... mind you I have a small frame w/tiny wrists. It was always funny to me when a guy twice my size would be doing less as I get a strange "eye brow raising" look.

As for the amount of time, it took me maybe a year to build up to it, but I've been lifting for years.

Unfortunately, such a heavy workout put me on a surgeons table as my tendons and ligaments could not handle the stress. I probably could have went heavier if my support structures would have remained healthy.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'll tell you when I get there.

I'm glad that the Fastlane Forum is starting to talk more openly about health and fitness-related issues (not that being able to bench more = being more healthy, of course). We don't wanna be a bunch of unhealthy rich dudes whose life revolves solely around the acquisition of money.

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
I'll tell you when I get there.

I'm glad that the Fastlane Forum is starting to talk more openly about health and fitness-related issues (not that being able to bench more = being more healthy, of course). We don't wanna be a bunch of unhealthy rich dudes whose life revolves solely around the acquisition of money.

Hard to find any successful hustler entrepreneurs who aren't in good shape. It's all part of our lifestyle. Good luck man, keep sweating and as someone mentioned before I recommend starting with the 5x5 to build strength.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hard to find any successful hustler entrepreneurs who aren't in good shape. It's all part of our lifestyle.

Not true.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have no idea what a 5x5 is. Currently I'm doing dumbbell bench presses as my main chest exercise (they seem to be more difficult exercises as it's much easier to keep good form when you have a bar supporting the weights).

What else do you recommend when building strength? I'm already seeing strength gains after only two weeks and I'm measuring them rep by rep (for upper body exercises, once I can do 12 reps w/o failure I move on to a higher weight, for lower body exercises it's 20 reps).

I also don't do deadlifts because I have a bad back. Oh well.

av1atic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 3, 2012
Started lifting in junior year of high school, benching 105 max. 3 years later, was doing sets of 225 for reps. Maxed out at like 345, I believe. Chest was my weakest muscle group, my shoulders would dominate any pressing movements; I was dumbbell shoulder pressing 110's, almost as much as I was inclining, lol. This was over a year ago, though, when I had gone from 150lbs at 17 to 230 at 20. Now I'm back to looking like a normal person after back injury from a car accident.

av1atic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 3, 2012
Epic humble brag, right there.

haha I really didn't mean to. Even my highest lifts are nothing compared to alot more experienced lifters. My chest would always be completely fatigued after the first exercise I did for 4-5 sets, and the rest of my workout would lag terribly. That's why I mentioned that - because I didn't have that issue on any other training day

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
haha I really didn't mean to. Even my highest lifts are nothing compared to alot more experienced lifters. My chest would always be completely fatigued after the first exercise I did for 4-5 sets, and the rest of my workout would lag terribly. That's why I mentioned that - because I didn't have that issue on any other training day

:p It's all good haha, just clownin you that's all.

Have you tried to figure out what is keeping your chest back?

av1atic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 3, 2012
:p It's all good haha, just clownin you that's all.

Have you tried to figure out what is keeping your chest back?

Nah, not sure. It could be as simple as my shoulders overpowering chest in pressing/fly movements, not enough focus on certain exercises, diet, genetics, or a plethora of other reasons, but I never really bothered to examine. I left the whole 'bigger and stronger' mentality after minor injuries and eating habits that were unnecessary and harmful, and started training more for aesthetics as opposed to tracking strength numbers. It's a much more healthier and satisfying approach, IMO.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

I have a similar story. I'm 5'7, started lifting after I lost a bunch of weight (was at about 140 lbs if I recall, down from 185). I didn't do any weight lifting or much cardio when I lost the 45 lbs, so I also lost a lot of muscle.

I could bench press around 95 lbs at first. In about the the first 6-8 months of lifting I could bench 225, and I weighed about 150-60 lbs. I cut down to about 150. The most I ever put up was 315 at 155 lbs. I thought that was pretty good for a guy my size. I'm about 148ish lbs now, and can put up around 250-260. I'd like to put some size back on and get back to 315 at some point, however I would not do that routinely for reasons MJ stated.

I've also put over a 1000 lbs on the squat rack. I was never super bulky (but was pretty lean/ripped for a while). Amazing what our bodies can do.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it might have taken me slightly over a year to make the 225. Hard to remember. Definitely a huge accomplishment for me when I can hang up two plates on there. I need to get back where I feel comfortable doing that without a spotter.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I use to be able to do 410 on an incline plated press ...

A what? I'm assuming that's a static machine that uses plates vs cable weights? If that's what it is and you have tendon problems, it ties right back to using those machines. I used to use them, then i switched to all olymipic barbells. But im not sure if that's what your talking about, Im a bit off on your terminology, so i won't elaborate yet.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
A what? I'm assuming that's a static machine that uses plates vs cable weights? If that's what it is and you have tendon problems, it ties right back to using those machines. I used to use them, then i switched to all olymipic barbells. But im not sure if that's what your talking about, Im a bit off on your terminology, so i won't elaborate yet.

CS-SigPL_SPLIP-hero.png

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Ronnie coleman has some great sayings lol.

As for 225, I haven't been lifting as much as i'd like to. About a year ago I was repping 205 so I'm assuming that's an easy 225 max for me personally. When I was repping 185 my max was 220. I don't have exact numbers because I work out alone and rarely max.

For a time period I'd say a around two years with off periods.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
What else do you recommend when building strength? I'm already seeing strength gains after only two weeks and I'm measuring them rep by rep (for upper body exercises, once I can do 12 reps w/o failure I move on to a higher weight, for lower body exercises it's 20 reps).

Pushups, pullups and squats! Thats all you really need. I would stay away from the bench press and do stuff with free weights, just pop on to the bench every now and then to see what you can do so that you can brag about it.

I also have a bad back so have never even done a dead lift. Bench press also can hurt my back, push ups don't ever and they actually strengthen the core, so maybe that is why I avoid bench press.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Pushups, pullups and squats! Thats all you really need. I would stay away from the bench press and do stuff with free weights, just pop on to the bench every now and then to see what you can do so that you can brag about it.

I also have a bad back so have never even done a dead lift. Bench press also can hurt my back, push ups don't ever and they actually strengthen the core, so maybe that is why I avoid bench press.

I disagree with this.
Bench press should never hurt your back, you shouldn't even be using any back muscles for it. A lot of people have weak chests so doing bench press is a great exercise but you need to know your limits. Once you know your limits, break them and push past them. The mind is a lot weaker then your body, always remember that. It might be different for you though since you have a bad back.

If you want to get started weight lifting, go to bodybuilding.com
There is an amazing community there and it's not for bodybuilding, hardcore diets, 5 hours of training a day type of people. I mean, there are those there but for you can get insane help for free there. Do your research and follow a plan. Push yourself to exhaustion.

I can do 225 @ 10 reps. I've never pushed myself higher then that because I go to the gym at 2 or 3AM and no one to spot me. Rather not drop 250 or 300 on my chest lol.
My leg press isn't too bad, I can do 720(8plates on each side) at 20 reps. I've pushed myself to a max of 900 but didn't feel safe going beyond that.
I've been training for the past year and weigh over 100lbs less then I did a year ago.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
1%, yea you would think the bench press should not hurt my back but it does. I have a lower back problem with the ligaments between my disks or some such. I had horrible sciatica a few years back, I would not wish that upon my worst enemy! If I am not super warmed up and limber, the second I start to lift the weight a pain starts to form in my lower back and starts to move into my legs, letting me know it is the sciatic nerve complaining.

I also did kick boxing 3 times a week for over a year and never once did that cause an issue, go figure.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

That's what I was thinking it was. The problem with using any machine, is not accessory muscles get worked, you essentially only work/build a single section/strand bundle of muscle fiber, which creates issues because when you are a usable strength application you can't lift near that weight. It can also bring on lots of injuries, and potential issues with muscles and joints. Not to mention, looks wise you will never fully fill out.

Either way Im not PT, i've never studied physiology and i dont know half the medical terms for anything, but i did learn that from quite a few people a long the way. Always use barbells only, no smith machines, no plate loaders etc.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
I was working out with 225 pretty easily at 16, but that was when I was heavily interested in sports and bodybuilding.

Now I just do bodyweight exercises to stay healthy and in shape, because honestly, no one gives a shit how much you bench (or squat, or deadlift, or powerclean, or anything else).

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
1%, yea you would think the bench press should not hurt my back but it does. I have a lower back problem with the ligaments between my disks or some such. I had horrible sciatica a few years back, I would not wish that upon my worst enemy! If I am not super warmed up and limber, the second I start to lift the weight a pain starts to form in my lower back and starts to move into my legs, letting me know it is the sciatic nerve complaining.

I also did kick boxing 3 times a week for over a year and never once did that cause an issue, go figure.

That's sucks :(

I think a lot of people overlook warming up.
Before I start lifting(6 days a week I lift), I do a 15minute jog(5 to 6mph) and stretch for 15 minutes. This is crucial to long term health and staying injury-free.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I disagree with this.
Bench press should never hurt your back, you shouldn't even be using any back muscles for it. A lot of people have weak chests so doing bench press is a great exercise but you need to know your limits. Once you know your limits, break them and push past them. The mind is a lot weaker then your body, always remember that. It might be different for you though since you have a bad back.

Ohhhh buddy... I know you're 18... so you have no idea what's coming to you. It likely won't be in the next couple years, but every guy who's athletic at all ends up with lower back problems, and I can tell you the sciatic pain from benching is intense. Anything that activates your core for stabilization has the potential to activate the pain.

Most of the sharks on Shark Tank have ruptured their L4-L5 disc, the same disc I completely blew out at 19. Running, impact excersize (like INSANITY), all end up in your downfall.

AdrianN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Dec 5, 2012
Just some word of advice, from a medical point of view:

Never, ever, ever take any kind of stimulants (Red bull, aminos, anabolics and so on) when you're lifting heavy. Your body can handle what it can handle. If you're forcing it you risk severe and maybe irreversible damage to your body.

In this process, the liver and your heart are the most exposed.

Your body is designed to gain a max of 5-7 kg of lean muscle per year (natural growth) no matter how heavy you lift.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Just some word of advice, from a medical point of view:

Never, ever, ever take any kind of stimulants (Red bull, aminos, anabolics and so on) when you're lifting heavy. Your body can handle what it can handle. If you're forcing it you risk severe and maybe irreversible damage to your body.

In this process, the liver and your heart are the most exposed.

Your body is designed to gain a max of 5-7 kg of lean muscle per year (natural growth) no matter how heavy you lift.

Lol, almost any type of pre-workout has caffeine or some sort of stimulant in it, it's there to give you the energy and motivation to lift, not to help you lift heavier (unless your taking anabolics but that's a different story).

What do you mean by forcing it? If you are doing the lifts correctly, the only thing you should be damaging is your muscles (which repair themselves). The only irreversible damage would be if you are doing something wrong, drop the weight on yourself, or are doing a certain lift when you know you have a bad back, legs, etc. or are to young for a certain lift (i.e. me doing heavy dead-lifts at 16)

And about the natural growth, you see, some of us like to grow 10lb's in a month, not a year

Where are you drawing the conclusions from, the classroom?

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Bench-press is mainly technique. I was doing 335 max when I was 16-17 (weight was 175-185 then I think)....I switched to dumbbells in my 20's due to shoulder issues. How much you bench is not an all inclusive measure of strength. If you want to have raw power and bulk you must work the legs. I always get a laugh at the muscle heads walking around with big upper bodies and sticks for legs.

p.s.--don't bench all the time without working your back and rear delts; you will develop shoulder issues from that.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

That's a lot of muscle. Most people will barely get to 5 kg in their first year and they are lucky if they pass 3kg each subsequent year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.