The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How early do you wake up?

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
It seems that if I want to get my most important work done, it must be in the morning before anybody else is awake.
Next week I'm getting a new place 1 bed/1bath no roommates, for once. I'm going to wake up at 4am and work on my business plans before I work my normal job at 8:00am to 5pm. After reading Miracle Morning I realize that successful people tend to be early risers and early to bed.
After I work my day job my energy levels are a little low to put full effort into anything else. I'm excited for the first time to get up earlier than everybody else!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just started working out again (had 2 shoulder surgeries) so that means 4:15AM and straight to the gym. Otherwise, usually 6:30-7:30AM

Also of note, my best productivity days happen on gym days when I'm up before dawn.

The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod is a must read if you want to starting getting up in the morning and being productive. I never thought I'd be someone who'd get up in the 4AM hour, but that book helped me make it happen.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A supplier that I want to do business with messaged me at 3 AM this morning my time. I responded to him by 4 AM my time. We will have a deal completed within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah. I've had the SAME skill for years.

"I REALLY need to be up at 0545 tomorrow morning."

Boom! Wide awake at 0544.

It's kind of freaky. The brain has so much untapped potential.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
have never used an alarm system. When I have to be up at a specific time for travel or what ever, I wake up on time, every time. If it is super critical, I may set an iPhone alarm, but I never need it. I only set it because I am cognizant of the fact that the one time I don't, I will.
Yeah. I've had the SAME skill for years.

"I REALLY need to be up at 0545 tomorrow morning."

Boom! Wide awake at 0544.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My routine:

Mon-Thu
  • The whole house gets up at 6:00 to 6:30.

• Kids are dropped at their minder at 08:00.

• I run/gym from 08:00 to 09:00.

• Have breakfast, then working from 09:30 to 16:30 when I go get the kids from their minder.

• Then it's a whirlwind of homework with the kids, dinner with the Mrs and step-son, till putting the kids to bed at about 19:00.

• 20:30 preparing kids pack lunches for the next day.

• Back to work from 21:00 to Midnight, and this is when I'd mostly do calls with clients or others.

Fri
  • Up at 07:00.

• I take the kids to school this day, and love it.

• Spend the morning with the Mrs... we're thinking of going round all the local hotels and restaurants and checking out their breakfasts (one per week of course). Or we go to the shops and get stuff for the house. We used to clean the house this morning, but we've got a weekly cleaner now, which makes all the difference.

• 12:00 till 14:30 = me time. I used to try and work, but then thought wtf. Bang on 14:35 the kids crash through the door wanting to get on the computer, xBox, and iPad (they're not allowed them Mon-Thu). Picture bags and coats flying everywhere in their haste to play Minecraft.

• Back to work from 21:00 to Midnight (unless I spend time with the Mrs watching a movie or going for a meal or having a couple of drinks).

Sat/Sun
  • Lie in as long as we can. Usually means getting up between 07:00 - 08:00.

• Then it's Kiddie time! Soccer, rugby, scooters out the front, trying hard to keep them off Minecraft and watching Minecraft on YouTube (I'm normally losing this battle).

• Back to work from 21:00 to Midnight (unless I spend time with the Mrs watching a movie or going for a meal or couple of drinks).

Sunday evening is ironing kids uniforms (whilst listening to podcasts) and then planning time for the coming week.

Something I did really wrong last week was: NOT working on my most important client first thing.

That most important client is my own business. I wanted to make videos in the morning, but clients managed to insert early morning calls into my day. I've learned my lesson. No contact with clients in the morning. :)

Exercising first thing before breakfast has definitely been a good thing so far.

Being my own boss and working from home ROCKS!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have never used an alarm system. When I have to be up at a specific time for travel or what ever, I wake up on time, every time. If it is super critical, I may set an iPhone alarm, but I never need it. I only set it because I am cognizant of the fact that the one time I don't, I will.

I think sleep is overrated. If I had to sleep 0, I would.

I am up a lot at night communicating with Asia. I generally get 6 hours of sleep a night.

I might go to sleep at 10, get up at 2AM. Work and surf the web for a few hours, catch the news, drift off at 4AM for a few hours, and up by 6AM/6:30AM.

No set schedule.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What time do you go to sleep?

8 - 8:30

There's really no reason for me to stay up later than that.

My mind is exhausted, everything is closed, and I've already stopped eating for a few hours.

My schedule was pretty similar when I used to work for employers.

It had to be because I was always too tired to finish my school work after work work.

lucasmello

Business Bear Means Business
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jun 25, 2014
12-1pm

While I admire most of you for waking up early (2 am, that's just crazy man haha). But I do my best work at night. So I use the day to get rid of administrative tasks, then move onto more creative stuff at night.

The Beast

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 23, 2016
I get up everyday, even on weekends at 5:20 AM and work out. To me it's a discipline whether it's nice out, snowy or rainy. I don't think about anything like "ohhh I'm so tired" or "ugh it's so dark out" because that just makes it worse. I prepare everything I need the night before including clothes I leave right beside my bed and I'm out of my house in about 8 min. After that, I work all day, then sometimes go to the gym again then home to do more work. Ohh and I eat all day too :)

BeLarge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jan 22, 2016
vancouver
6:00АМ to 6:30AM

I don't think that waking up early will make you super productive person or something like this.
Actually I wish to myself that I will be able to wake up for example at 10:00AM.
It's more about "How" you work and not about "How long" you work.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
A supplier that I want to do business with messaged me at 3 AM this morning my time. I responded to him by 4 AM my time.
Wow... serious slacking going on there... you mean you don't have the wireless electric shock message alert set on your phone to make sure you respond within 5 minutes ;)

Seriously, everyone.... be more Vigilante. Vigilante rocks.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
No set schedule. Sometimes get up at 4am, sometimes go to sleep at 4am.

Yesterday, on international hangover day, I got up at 3:45.
Today, international hectic day, I got up at 9:45.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
That most important client is my own business. I wanted to make videos in the morning, but clients managed to insert early morning calls into my day. I've learned my lesson. No contact with clients in the morning. :)

This was my biggest lesson of last year. I kept allowing other clients to take priority over my most important client - me. So committed to not doing that again this year that I only have one client till March. Me and me alone.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
So did you try this? How was it?
Yes, still doing it. Wake up at 3:30am, work on my goals for 3 solid hours, hit the gym, then go to day job at 8:00am feeling satisfied that even if I get distracted later in the day I already got my important stuff done.

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
I'm up at 7:00AM on a typical day.

But it's crazy to hear how early some of you get up!

Maybe good ol' Big Ben was on to something... :D

Benajmin-Franklin-Poster-Early-to-bed.jpg

theferrariboy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Oct 25, 2014
It seems that if I want to get my most important work done, it must be in the morning before anybody else is awake.

OR After everyone else goes to sleep! ;-)

I get up around Noon to 1pm and go to bed around 3:30am to 5am every night!

I don't really work much anymore.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I have never been a morning person...the earliest I've manage to wake up with any consistency is 6:30 am.

I haven't had to wake up to an alarm in over 2 years. I generally wake up between 8am to 9am, sometimes earlier if I want a morning surf. I go to bed around 11pm to 2am.

This life has really spoiled me, and I wouldn't change it for anything, but it would be nice to be able to get some consistency - hopping major time zones can screw with your internal clock.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
6:00АМ to 6:30AM

I don't think that waking up early will make you super productive person or something like this.
Actually I wish to myself that I will be able to wake up for example at 10:00AM.
It's more about "How" you work and not about "How long" you work.

That's true.
I'm already disciplined. Discipline is my greatest value. However, after staring at a computer all day for my day job, my eyes get strained. In the morning I'm refreshed.

BeLarge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jan 22, 2016
vancouver
That's true.
I'm already disciplined. Discipline is my greatest value. However, after staring at a computer all day for my day job, my eyes get strained. In the morning I'm refreshed.
The best advice that I can give you is try to get out of home.
Make a plan- for example: Every Monday and Wednesday go out and chill all the day. That's the best thing eva

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.