The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you like to be pitched?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 17, 2015
England
As a business owner for over 20 years I've been on the receiving end of hundreds of sales pitches on various channels.

My personal opinion is I prefer sales people to just get straight to the point, tell me what you're selling, how much and I'll quickly tell you if I'm interested or not.

Obviously it depends on the perceived value also, I wouldn't buy a $1000 product of someone who's just messaged me on Facebook even if I was interested. I'd want to find out more, maybe just on a call do my research.

Whereas if its a $100 dollar product with a free trial, hit me up tell me what it is and I'll decide.

I think an ideal pitch solves a problem, provides proof and reverses the risk. (however the problem must be something I have or interested in solving).

There's plenty of business owners in this group, so tell me - what would the pitch have to include for you to be interested? And how would you like to be approached? Softly softly, or do you prefer to just be straight up what they're offering.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
As a business owner for over 20 years I've been on the receiving end of hundreds of sales pitches on various channels.

My personal opinion is I prefer sales people to just get straight to the point, tell me what you're selling, how much and I'll quickly tell you if I'm interested or not.

Obviously it depends on the perceived value also, I wouldn't buy a $1000 product of someone who's just messaged me on Facebook even if I was interested. I'd want to find out more, maybe just on a call do my research.

Whereas if its a $100 dollar product with a free trial, hit me up tell me what it is and I'll decide.

I think an ideal pitch solves a problem, provides proof and reverses the risk. (however the problem must be something I have or interested in solving).

There's plenty of business owners in this group, so tell me - what would the pitch have to include for you to be interested? And how would you like to be approached? Softly softly, or do you prefer to just be straight up what they're offering.
Same here. Straight to the point.

A good sales experience is important.

Stop doing objection handling. Keep the relationship and remind others of your presence. Play the long game.

GDevDir

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 9, 2011
UK
I've found that when we're looking for services and collaborations, most people give me a vanilla request and vanilla pitch, with no consideration as to if we may be a good fit with one another.

Obviously, part of the blame here is on me for accepting these calls. However, I appreciate it when someone has taken the time to ensure they have a product that solves one of our needs and comes with a tailored pitch that gets right to the pain point resolution.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Andy Black is the king recipient of pitches, maybe he can chime in?

I find the old adage "What's in it for me" works well, and the quicker one can get there, the better.

Demonstrate results, visible if possible.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black is the king recipient of pitches, maybe he can chime in?
It's not that I get more pitches than everyone else. I'm just too stupid to ignore connection requests that preceed clumsy pitches.

@Paul David ... my preference is people are genuine. If it's to make a sale, then ask. If it's to connect, then do that. If it's to ask a question, then ask it. And for heavens sake please don't ask if you can ask a question. And don't have "High Ticket Closer" anywhere near your profile bio please.

Cold messages that have worked best on me have been people giving a solution to a problem they spotted in my videos, content, etc. They're genuine, not canned, and lead with value.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 18, 2022
Pretty the same as everyone else that's responded: I prefer people get to the point. If I'm interested in what you're offering, I'll be doing my due diligence one way or another.

Lately, I've been trying to help more aspiring web designers/developers here on the forum. Based on the conversations I've had with them, I believe part of the reason as to why the data for cold outreach is so terrible is because most people use the same garbage templates from the 80s, and they fail to provide any type of customized value on an outreach-by-outreach basis. Furthermore, their follow-up process is next to non-existent.

Edit: The above is the primary reason I've been contemplating creating content aimed at web designers/developers that are freelancing/entrepreneurs as well. There's a massive disconnect between tech skills and business skills.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
get on my calendar with a clear message, then get straight to it (don't ask me how my day is going)

what problem does it solve for me?
what is the investment of money AND time?
what is the reward / payout / payback / upside?
what is the risk / likelihood of achievement?
what is in it for you (how do i provide YOU value)?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
get on my calendar with a clear message, then get straight to it (don't ask me how my day is going)

what problem does it solve for me?
what is the investment of money AND time?
what is the reward / payout / payback / upside?
what is the risk / likelihood of achievement?
what is in it for you (how do i provide YOU value)?
If we were having our first call I wouldn't ask how your day was going but I'd ask what time it was where you are. I'm definitely not getting into anything straight away, and if people are like that with me then I'm taken aback slightly. Maybe it's me, or maybe it's cultural. I'm aware not everyone is like that.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
In focus groups for TV shows, people will say

“I hate laugh tracks”

Then, when they get sat down to watch a show, they will respond better and say it’s a funnier and more entertaining when there’s a laugh track as opposed to none.

Nobody is going to say “I like when people try sales tactics on me. I like when they portray a false sense of scarcity. I like when they sell to my insecurities, and when they use a bunch of analogies to make me think I need to buy now”.

Everyone says “just get to the point”.

Especially us entrepreneurs.

But…we are NOT the target audience to be affected by sales pitches and tactics.

You pitch with a script, and handle objections, and give analogies, and paint a picture for the person you’re selling to, because most people aren’t me. Most people are not like the people answering above.

We are not good people to “sell” to. We scrutinize, we call out bullshit, we see through tactics, we are much more logical than an emotional consumer.

It all depends on who you’re selling to.

My buddy calls people who run hospitals. They aren’t stupid. His call is “you’re gonna hate me, but this is a cold call. I’ll tell you what it’s about in 30 seconds because I think it’s worth listening to and if you aren’t interested just hang up, sound good?” And it works well. The men are always like “haha I like your style, let’s hear it bud”.

A master salesman knows how to stick to the script, how to sell emotionally, when to take 30 seconds or 30 minutes, when to use “salesy” tactics and when to be a straight shooter. It all works for different situations.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
For me, the worst way to pitch is to try to frame your price or product before getting to the point. If they start and say, we've got 50% off today. I would rather someone just come and say, I'll wash your windows for $500. Versus, we were doing your neighbor's house and normally we charge $750, but since we are in the area already we can do $500. This is an immediate no for me.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
For me, the worst way to pitch is to try to frame your price or product before getting to the point. If they start and say, we've got 50% off today. I would rather someone just come and say, I'll wash your windows for $500. Versus, we were doing your neighbor's house and normally we charge $750, but since we are in the area already we can do $500. This is an immediate no for me.
I've been getting this pitch lately.

Hello.

Yes, I'd like to talk to the person in charge of your power bill.

Yes, that's me

Did you know that electric prices have gone up 50% since last year and NV energy is predicting another 25% increase in 2023? ... another 2-3 sentences about the coming increase in power.

Oh really? how about you just F*cking tell me you are selling solar panels, Hangup.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Paraphrasing @Andy Black from his GOLD one liner thread. This was about Value. I changed it to pitches ;)

Levels of pitches:
  1. I'll show you how.
  2. I'll work with you.
  3. I'll do it for you.
  4. I'm doing it anyway.
  5. I've already done it, do you want it or not?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I seen a guy in a business Facebook group post this the other day and I instantly knew where he was going with it so I replied.
In everyone’s opinion what’s the best way for your potential customers to communicate with you?
Phone , email , live chat , sms , messenger , Instagram dm ?

I replied - All.

So the guy responds, I fully agree with you, I guess not everyone does because of the management of so many inboxes?

He took my bait.

I replied - is this where you jump in and offer us a unified inbox solution? (I knew because I'd already seen his bio and link to his white labelled software).

He replied - no absolutely not, my post was purely to get a feel for what people were saying about this issue, I am not In here to sell
1f44d.png

My final response - I’ve been using the same software since it began. I understand you maybe don’t want to be kicked out group for selling as such but you’re much better just asking if there’s an issue and telling people you have a solution. This cloak and dagger doesn’t work.

He replied: thanks for your feedback, appreciated
1f44d.png

I mean - just get to the point. Does anybody have an issue with managing so many inboxes (i may have a solution) would have been better.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
I don't care what the product is. As soon as I hear any kind of sales tactic or bullshit, the conversation ends immediately.

I know what I want.

If I need something, I will search for it and I will buy it.

If you have something to sell:
  • get straight to the point
  • be honest
  • don't try to sell me anything, show me what you have to offer

I love this approach:
I've already done it, do you want it or not?

Ayush6543

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 2, 2021
This is very insightful, I do web design and development for companies with poorly designed sites, and my cold call usually goes like this:

"Is this [name], it's Ayush".
Customer: "who is this?"

or
"Hey, this is [customer's name] from [business]"
Me: "Hi [customer's name] you got two minutes."
"Who is this?"

Me: "I work with companies fixing their online marketing, and I can help you guys, get more customers. If you don't get results, you don't pay. So if this sounds interesting, we can book a Zoom meeting, to discuss it further."

"NO, we are not interested."

This is what I usually say, but I have not closed anyone.
I know that I have to give value to my customers, and I really want to give it to them and solve their problems. I currently don't have any past clients; that's why I am giving them a free website.

Can you guys give me some feedback, and tips?

Ayush6543

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 2, 2021
I
My buddy calls people who run hospitals. They aren’t stupid. His call is “you’re gonna hate me, but this is a cold call. I’ll tell you what it’s about in 30 seconds because I think it’s worth listening to and if you aren’t interested just hang up, sound good?” And it works well. The men are always like “haha I like your style, let’s hear it bud”.

A master salesman knows how to stick to the script, how to sell emotionally, when to take 30 seconds or 30 minutes, when to use “salesy” tactics and when to be a straight shooter. It all works for different situations.
I just tried this for a home inspector, and he said " This is very kind of you, as we don't get cold calls, but I'm not interested".

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I just tried this for a home inspector, and he said " This is very kind of you, as we don't get cold calls, but I'm not interested".
Okay now do it 300 times and compare it to your current strategy and A-B test it

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
This is very insightful, I do web design and development for companies with poorly designed sites, and my cold call usually goes like this:

"Is this [name], it's Ayush".
Customer: "who is this?"

or
"Hey, this is [customer's name] from [business]"
Me: "Hi [customer's name] you got two minutes."
"Who is this?"

Me: "I work with companies fixing their online marketing, and I can help you guys, get more customers. If you don't get results, you don't pay. So if this sounds interesting, we can book a Zoom meeting, to discuss it further."

"NO, we are not interested."

This is what I usually say, but I have not closed anyone.
I know that I have to give value to my customers, and I really want to give it to them and solve their problems. I currently don't have any past clients; that's why I am giving them a free website.

Can you guys give me some feedback, and tips?
the problem I have with this script is that as a business owner you hear this pitch 3x a week. there is 1 particular company in your space that has been using the same story for at least 5 years.

what interests me are concrete examples of companies in my sector. who have benefited from working with you.
backed with figures.

how many leads am I going to get the next month after you tackle my site?

can you help me with brand awareness?

the only people who get to tell their story are people who make me feel like I'm going to benefit from it.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 17, 2015
England
the problem I have with this script is that as a business owner you hear this pitch 3x a week. there is 1 particular company in your space that has been using the same story for at least 5 years.

what interests me are concrete examples of companies in my sector. who have benefited from working with you.
backed with figures.

how many leads am I going to get the next month after you tackle my site?

can you help me with brand awareness?

the only people who get to tell their story are people who make me feel like I'm going to benefit from it.

Yes this is the problem, business owners are hearing similar pitches daily so sometimes it can be better to think outside the box.

One of the approaches I like is to ask for advice rather than pitch. For example in my company, a pitch would look something like this:
Hey Josh,

Seen your 12 Google reviews. Have an app that might help you book more jobs through word-of-mouth.

It makes it easy to get more reviews from your customers, uses AI to respond and automatically shares them on your social pages - helping you become the obvious choice in your area.

Used by over 50 carpet cleaners, including Enviro Clean.

Interested in a 14 day trial?

--------

Whereas asking for advice would look like this:

Hi Josh, we’ve not spoken before but I seen you had xx Google reviews for carpet cleaning.

Designed a platform for people like you and was wondering if I could share what it does, would you kindly give me your expert opinion on it?

No worries if timing is off.

-----------

I think asking for advice is better for startups to get to 100 customers or whatever and is more of a conversation starter. What do you think @Andy Black

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
Yes this is the problem, business owners are hearing similar pitches daily so sometimes it can be better to think outside the box.

One of the approaches I like is to ask for advice rather than pitch. For example in my company, a pitch would look something like this:
Hey Josh,

Seen your 12 Google reviews. Have an app that might help you book more jobs through word-of-mouth.

It makes it easy to get more reviews from your customers, uses AI to respond and automatically shares them on your social pages - helping you become the obvious choice in your area.

Used by over 50 carpet cleaners, including Enviro Clean.

Interested in a 14 day trial?

--------

Whereas asking for advice would look like this:

Hi Josh, we’ve not spoken before but I seen you had xx Google reviews for carpet cleaning.

Designed a platform for people like you and was wondering if I could share what it does, would you kindly give me your expert opinion on it?

No worries if timing is off.

-----------

I think asking for advice is better for startups to get to 100 customers or whatever and is more of a conversation starter. What do you think @Andy Black
Exactly this, the words i like as a business owner are EASY & AUTOMATICALLY.
because this suggests that I don't have to do much myself. and I get a lot in return.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Exactly this, the words i like as a business owner are EASY & AUTOMATICALLY.
because this suggests that I don't have to do much myself. and I get a lot in return.
Out of two approaches above, what would you prefer to receive?

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
Out of two approaches above, what would you prefer to

Out of two approaches above, what would you prefer to receive?
Definitely the first and if you would assure me that you set everything up for us. so that I don't break my head over it. that would be the icing on the cake.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.